We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Mar-00:03:53 Identification question (Jim Wilkinson)
28 Mar-23:16:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 29, 2024 02:00

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Andreas Gerstenberg Collection
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Andreas Gerstenberg

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:40    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

An almost forgotten variety of dolomite is "tharandite" in brown translucent rhombic crystals, quite unusual for this mineral. Sometimes you see "normal" dolomite, typically saddle-shaped crystals falsely labeled as "tharandite". These specimens occur from the newer lime quarries at Tharandt near Dresden, Saxony. The shown sample is an original "tharandite" from its type locality, the Schweinsdorf lime quarry near Döhlen.

Tharandit (Tharandt).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  53926 Time(s)

Tharandit (Tharandt).JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:41    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

With label (dating from 1897) written by August Frenzel.

Frenzel-Etikett (Tharandit Tharandt).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  53802 Time(s)

Frenzel-Etikett (Tharandit Tharandt).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:41    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

Little azurite sphaerolites on thin copper shist layer on sandstone from the Cornberg quarry near Richelsdorf, Hesse. About 6 cm wide sample with original label from the Dr Balzer collection/Berlin, dated from 1919.

Azurit (Cornberg).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  53790 Time(s)

Azurit (Cornberg).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:42    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

Hair salt as a 9,5 cm sample from the Hattorf potash mine, Phillipsthal, Rhön mountains, Hesse.

Haarsalz (Hattorf).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  53772 Time(s)

Haarsalz (Hattorf).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:43    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

Three elbaite micros (the two upper ones with lepidolite) from Wolkenburg, Saxony. The tourmalines from this famous classic locality ranged from black, blue, green to red and even white. Furthermore crystals occured, green on the one and red on the other end of the crystal. The little crystal in front measures about 1 cm in length.

Elbait (Wolkenburg).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  53806 Time(s)

Elbait (Wolkenburg).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:44    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

Red "Eisenkiesel" quartz with smoky quartz and hematite on a 8 cm wide sample from Zobes, Voigtland, Saxony.

Eisenkiesel (Zobes).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  53783 Time(s)

Eisenkiesel (Zobes).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:45    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

Pale yellow baryte crystal from the Churprinz mine, Großschirma, Freiberg district, Erzgebirge, Saxony. About 4,5 cm high crystal.

Baryt (Großschirma).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  53773 Time(s)

Baryt (Großschirma).jpg

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:46    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

With label from the Dittmersch collection, dating from 1918.

Dittmersch-Etikett (Baryt Großschirma).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  53824 Time(s)

Dittmersch-Etikett (Baryt Großschirma).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:57    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

Hi, Ed, if you read this: you asked Tobias for some fluorites from seldom shown German localities - as a starter the four of them for you. Beginning with a corroded crystal (6 cm) from the Stecklenberg quarry, Stecklenburg near Thale, Harz. In this quarry a find was made about the year 1900 which contained beautiful pale violet fluorite crystals arranged with black schorl, apatite and smoky quartz. If you come to Berlin one day you can see a sample in the Naturkundemuseum which is much better than the shown one;-). But nevertheless I am proud of possessing a fluorite from Stecklenberg... It comes from the Berlin collection of Fritz Seliger. This man has been the gem prospector in order of the German Emperor!

Fluorit (Stecklenberg).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  53791 Time(s)

Fluorit (Stecklenberg).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:58    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

Good yellow fluorites come from the Hilfe Gottes mine near Memmendorf, Freiberg district, Erzgebirge, Sachsen. The pic shows a 12 cm wide specimen with little pyrite on quartz.

Fluorit (Memmendorf).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  54014 Time(s)

Fluorit (Memmendorf).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:59    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

They occur also at the border between the "Granulitgebirge" and the Freiberg mining district, Saxony. That´s where this specimen comes from: the Alte Augustus Stolln, Hasensprung near Rosswein. Samples like this (and from other localities like Schönborn-Dreiwerden too) are looked for and very rare. The cubes on this sample measure up to 1 cm and are accompanied with some baryte.

Fluorit (Rosswein).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  53791 Time(s)

Fluorit (Rosswein).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 05:59    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

Here you have a really unusual locality: pale green cubes from the Lieth lime quarry, Elmshorn near Hamburg. This locality is the only outcrop of the Perm decade in northern Germany. Here copper shists are found laying over "Zechstein"-gypsum. In this copper shist you have sometimes fluorite cubes but good specimens are rare.

Fluorit, grün (Lieth).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  53758 Time(s)

Fluorit, grün (Lieth).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 06:09    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

And some more...

Dolomitpseudo (Freiberg).JPG
 Description:
This dolomite pseudo is definitely a favourite of mine. You know these pseudos after calcite scalenohedrons very well from the Schlema district, Erzgebirge, Saxony. But - this one is from Freiberg, precisely from the Abraham Shaft. It comes from a miner collection and was collected in the 1920s. It is the first one I ever saw from Freiberg and I think it will be the last...
 Viewed:  53723 Time(s)

Dolomitpseudo (Freiberg).JPG

Emplektit (Altenberg).JPG
 Description:
Very similar to bismuthinite occurs emplectite from Altenberg. Here golden needles up to 2 cm with small pale bluish fluorite octahedrons and hematite in a vug from the Vereinigt Feld tin mine.
 Viewed:  53800 Time(s)

Emplektit (Altenberg).JPG

Bismuthinit (Altenberg).JPG
 Description:
Not even frequent is bismuthinite from Altenberg, Erzgebirge, Saxony. The pic shows a 1 x 1 cm needle aggregate on fluorite and quartz from the Römer Shaft, dating from the 1950s.
 Viewed:  53778 Time(s)

Bismuthinit (Altenberg).JPG

Calcit (Bad Freienwalde).jpg
 Description:
Another good locality in Brandenburg are the claypits around Bad Freienwalde, some 80 km in the east of Berlin. There come very good gypsum samples, occuring in christmas tree-like aggregates up to 40 cm. From the northern claypit is this cute specimen with greenish calcite on lime stone.
 Viewed:  53750 Time(s)

Calcit (Bad Freienwalde).jpg

Bernstein (Velten).JPG
 Description:
Although Berlin and Brandenburg are not even blessed with mineral deposits we have... amber! At some places masses of them but deep in the ground;-) Sometimes they raise up to daylight like this classic specimen (about 7 cm in width) from the gravel pit at the Pinnower Bernsteinsee (amber lake, sic!) near Velten, Brandenburg. The old pit is today a lake where you can waterski...
 Viewed:  53744 Time(s)

Bernstein (Velten).JPG

Baryt (Menzenschwand).JPG
 Description:
Good dark orange baryte crystals on hematite from the Krunkelbach Uranium prospect, Menzenschwand, Black Forest. Sample 7 cm.
 Viewed:  53766 Time(s)

Baryt (Menzenschwand).JPG

Millerit (Wehrendorf).jpg
 Description:
Silvery millerite sprays (up to 7 mm) from the Wehrendorf clay pit near Bad Essen, Westphalia.
 Viewed:  53789 Time(s)

Millerit (Wehrendorf).jpg

Bergkristall fac (Oßling).jpg
 Description:
A kind of my hobbyhorse are German precious stones like this clear quartz (2.5 ct) from the Ossling quarry near Hoyerswerda, Saxony.
 Viewed:  53776 Time(s)

Bergkristall fac (Oßling).jpg

Baryt (Uffeln).JPG
 Description:
Nice colorless baryte crystal (1,2 cm with hematite inclusions) on alterated dolomite from the Gehn quarry, Uffeln, Munsterland, Westphalia.
 Viewed:  53760 Time(s)

Baryt (Uffeln).JPG

Gips Nietleben.JPG
 Description:
Bizarre gypsum aggregate (10 cm width) from Nietleben near Halle, Saxony-Anhalt.
 Viewed:  53754 Time(s)

Gips Nietleben.JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 06:14    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

...the next...

Sphalerit (Lautenthal).JPG
 Description:
A good sample with greenish brown sphalerite crystals and some quartz. Old find (7 cm) from Lautenthal, Harz. There you can find nice crystals even today. But the shown quality I never saw during my visits on the dumps, so I had to buy this nice oldtimer...
 Viewed:  53740 Time(s)

Sphalerit (Lautenthal).JPG

Türkis (Altmannsgrün).JPG
 Description:
Germany is not very famous for its good turquoise specimens - but we do have them! The classic "turquoise-province" is the saxonian Voigtland. The shown sample comes from a small outcrop due to conduit workings near Altmannsgrün. The turqouise layer on this sample is 3 mm thick, sample width about 9 cm.
 Viewed:  53743 Time(s)

Türkis (Altmannsgrün).JPG

Schörl (Selb).JPG
 Description:
Nice schorl crystals (3,5 cm) with muscovite from the Papiermühle granite gravel pit near Selb, Fichtelgebirge, Bavaria.
 Viewed:  53708 Time(s)

Schörl (Selb).JPG

Milchquarz (Simon Bogners Neuwerk).JPG
 Description:
Quartz crystals in front of a East Berlin winter sundowner... The crystals are up to 4 cm, they come from the Simon Bogners Neuwerk mine, Brand-Erbisdorf, Freiberg district, Erzgebirge, Saxony. There was found just one big vug full of good crystals which are sought-after by local collectors.
 Viewed:  53721 Time(s)

Milchquarz (Simon Bogners Neuwerk).JPG

Jordisit (Brand-Erbisdorf).JPG
 Description:
Blackish grey jordisite - a rare mo-sulfide from the Glückauf Shaft (type locality), Langenau, Freiberg district, Erzgebirge, Saxony. 6,5 cm sample.
 Viewed:  53781 Time(s)

Jordisit (Brand-Erbisdorf).JPG

Mellitkristall (Artern).jpg
 Description:
Yet another type locality: 15 mm octahedron-like mellite crystal from the Auguste coal mine, Artern, Thuringia. This is where the best German mellites come from even if they cannot compete with the Hungarian crystals.
 Viewed:  53724 Time(s)

Mellitkristall (Artern).jpg

Helvin (Antonsthal).JPG
 Description:
Nice yellow tetrahedrons of the rare beryllium silicate helvite from the type locality, Unverhofft Glück mine near Antonsthal, Erzgebirge, Saxony. Sitting with some diopsite and sphalerite on calcite. The largest tetrahedron measures a little more than 3 mm.
 Viewed:  53747 Time(s)

Helvin (Antonsthal).JPG

Gips (Bauersberg).JPG
 Description:
White gypsum needles on "fried" clay from the Basalt quarry Bauersberg near Bischofsheim, Rhön mountains, Bavaria.
 Viewed:  53752 Time(s)

Gips (Bauersberg).JPG

Flint (Segeberg).JPG
 Description:
Another mineral which is widespread in northern Germany is flintstone. Some collectors do not understand why to pick up that stuff... But if they are as pretty as the shown zebra-like stone from the Segeberg forest near Bad Segeberg, Schleswig-Holstein it is worth it, I would say. 10 cm sample from a 1975 find.
 Viewed:  53712 Time(s)

Flint (Segeberg).JPG

Galenit (Freiberg Rote Grube).JPG
 Description:
This 5 cm wide sample with corroded galenite crystals is from Freiberg too but not that old as the above shown dolomite. It comes from a little new find at the Rote Grube in the very "city center" of Freiberg. The find contained I think some ten specimens and the sample looks forward to become a classic rarity one day.
 Viewed:  53748 Time(s)

Galenit (Freiberg Rote Grube).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 06:19    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

...more...

Heidornit (Frenswegen).jpg
 Description:
Heidornite, a rare borate from the type locality, an oil drilling near Frenswegen, Nordhorn, Lower Saxony. Shown is a 4 mm crystalline aggregate coming up from 1968 m depth. Some of the rarest stuff you can get from Germany.
 Viewed:  53725 Time(s)

Heidornit (Frenswegen).jpg

Pikromerit (Lehrte).JPG
 Description:
White picromerite crystals (up to 2,5 cm) on halite from the 800 m level, Bergmannssegen-Hugo potash mine, Lehrte near Hannover, Lower Saxony.
 Viewed:  53747 Time(s)

Pikromerit (Lehrte).JPG

Chrysokoll (Helgoland).jpg
 Description:
Pale green nodules of chrysocolla on calcite from Helgoland, Schleswig-Holstein. Picture width: 6 mm.
 Viewed:  53769 Time(s)

Chrysokoll (Helgoland).jpg

Salmiak (Alstaden).JPG
 Description:
Little yellow sal ammoniac crystals on "fried" conglomerate from the Alstaden coal mine, Oberhausen, Westphalia. Here gorgeous sceleton-crystals up to 3,5 cm were found but till I will get such a killer I make do with the shown one...
 Viewed:  53727 Time(s)

Salmiak (Alstaden).JPG

Ulexit (Niederellenbach).JPG
 Description:
About 3 cm measuring ulexite nodule (so-called "cotton ball") in massive anhydrite. Sample from the first place ulexite was found in Germany, the Niederellenbach quarry near Rothenburg, Hesse. From the collection of Sigmund Koritnig who described the mineral from Niederellenbach.
 Viewed:  53748 Time(s)

Ulexit (Niederellenbach).JPG

Siderit (Lobenstein).JPG
 Description:
A classic locality for siderite is Lobenstein in Thuringia. This is where the shown oldtimer is from: dark brown crystals with some pyrite scattered on.
 Viewed:  53845 Time(s)

Siderit (Lobenstein).JPG

Siderit (Farmsen).jpg
 Description:
Siderite crystals are often found in siderite geodes in claypits. The - in my opinion - best examples were found in the claypit of Farmsen near Hildesheim, Lower Saxony. The pic shows a 9 cm wide sample with golden brown crystals.
 Viewed:  54042 Time(s)

Siderit (Farmsen).jpg

Asbolan (Spitzleithe).JPG
 Description:
A very rare pseudo: asbolane after calcite crystals on quartz from the Gott segne beständig mine, Spitzleithe, Schneeberg district, Erzgebirge, Saxony (type locality of lithiophorite!). The mine produced a lot of pseudo´s in the old days, even very unusual ones like manganese oxide after pyromorphite. They are mentioned in the famous mineralogical lexicon of the saxonian localities by August Frenzel (1874). The shown 5 cm wide specimen comes from the well-known Bally-Prior collection of Schönenwerd, Switzerland.
 Viewed:  53702 Time(s)

Asbolan (Spitzleithe).JPG

Phosphofibrit (Röhrsdorf).jpg
 Description:
Phosphofibrite as concentric radials from the Wismut prospect near Röhrsdorf, Chemnitz, Saxony. Second find in Germany after Clara mine/Black Forest.
 Viewed:  53692 Time(s)

Phosphofibrit (Röhrsdorf).jpg

Gips (Bad Oeynhausen).JPG
 Description:
Collecting minerals is sometimes quite a funny thing. You find them where you don´t consider them to be. This gypsum comes from the Jordansprudel, a mineral spring near Bad Oeynhausen, Westphalia. The crystals sometimes really plug the water pipes...
 Viewed:  53725 Time(s)

Gips (Bad Oeynhausen).JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 06:25    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

That´s all folks. I hope, you enjoy viewing some specimens that are not shown that often. And if you want so, I can bother you with more;-) The photo quality is not the best but I hope it will be sufficient.

Ferristrunzit (Neustadt).jpg
 Description:
6 mm ferristrunzite spray from a very rare locality: Langes Tal (long valley) near Neustadt, Harz.
 Viewed:  53720 Time(s)

Ferristrunzit (Neustadt).jpg

Krausit (Bannewitz).jpg
 Description:
Fine colorless krausite needles from the Willi Agatz Shaft, Freital near Dresden, Saxony. Picture width: 4 mm.
 Viewed:  53734 Time(s)

Krausit (Bannewitz).jpg

Schoepit (Menzenschwand).jpg
 Description:
Dark red ianthinite crystals, alterating to yellow schoepite as a 3 mm aggregate on quartz from the Krunkelbach Uranium prospect, Menzenschwand, Black Forest.
 Viewed:  53710 Time(s)

Schoepit (Menzenschwand).jpg

Chalcedon (Gersdorf).JPG
 Description:
Something for the quartz collectors: orange chalcedony layered on quartz in form of dauphiné penetration twins from a new find at the Segen Gottes mine, Gersdorf, Freiberg district, Erzgebirge, Saxony. 7 cm in width.
 Viewed:  53720 Time(s)

Chalcedon (Gersdorf).JPG

Pyromorphit (Clausthal).JPG
 Description:
Hollow crystals of pyromorphite on limonite from the Dorothea Landeskrone mine, Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Harz.
 Viewed:  53728 Time(s)

Pyromorphit (Clausthal).JPG

Pyromorphit (Giesenbach).jpg
 Description:
Pyromorphite crystal (2 mm) with a very intensive, "glowing" color. From the Giesenbach mine, Lahr, Black Forest.
 Viewed:  53711 Time(s)

Pyromorphit (Giesenbach).jpg

Pyrit (Neumark).jpg
 Description:
Besides for the classic "astrolite"-mica Neumark in Voigtland, Saxony is well-known for calcite specimens like the shown up to 3 cm crystals covered with pyrite.
 Viewed:  53688 Time(s)

Pyrit (Neumark).jpg

Pyrit (Kamsdorf).JPG
 Description:
Pyrite in cuboctahedrons and tetrahedrons with calcite on ankerite. Old specimen from Kamsdorf in Thuringia. Picture width: 8 cm.
 Viewed:  53690 Time(s)

Pyrit (Kamsdorf).JPG

Achat (Wendelsheim).JPG
 Description:
Nice polished pastel agate from the classic location Wendelsheim near Alzey, Rhineland-Palatinate. Sample 6 cm.
 Viewed:  53742 Time(s)

Achat (Wendelsheim).JPG

Malachit (Altenmittlau).jpg
 Description:
Kidney-like malachite filling in dolomite vug. Old specimen (about 1920) from Altenmittlau, Spessart, Hesse. The vug measures 4 cm in height.
 Viewed:  53695 Time(s)

Malachit (Altenmittlau).jpg

Karneol (Grünewald).JPG
 Description:
Excellent Carneole with "craquelee"-structure and a fine fire-red color. Polished section, 6 cm in height from Grünewald, Niederlausitz, Brandenburg.
 Viewed:  53689 Time(s)

Karneol (Grünewald).JPG

Sphalerit (Ramsbeck).JPG
 Description:
Dark brown sphalerite twin (1 cm) on dolomite and quartz. Found in the Aurora mine, Ramsbeck, Sauerland.
 Viewed:  53741 Time(s)

Sphalerit (Ramsbeck).JPG

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 15:02    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

Thanks, Andreas. Your systematic but also aesthetic collection is exhaustive. I have had a very good time watching it. Go on, please. Man does not live by "killer specimens" alone.

The best the labels and the history behind the pieces.

Cheers,
Antonio

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2010 04:36    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

I agree with Antonio. I know Andreas' style of collecting and specimens from his collection for several years now, and i really admire the accuracy with which he is devoted to historical specimens from German localites. And his care for old (sometimes REALLY old) labels make his collection a commendable mixture of both mineralogy and history.

So please go on, Andreas, and "bother" us with more ;-)

Glückauf!

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2010 03:39    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

I like the gypsum specimen.

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 06:05    Post subject: Re: Andreas Gerstenberg Collection  

You want them, you´ll get them. Here´s the second package for you;-)

Fluorit (Neudorf).JPG
 Description:
A nice galena from Neudorf/Harz is hard to get, though. Nevertheless I´d say that getting a good fluorite from there is even harder. I bought this specimen with the declaration "Schönbrunn, Voigtland". But in fact it is an old classic from Neudorf with typical siderite and quartz crystals on the pale blue cubes as well as some sphalerite and galena in the shist matrix. Former collection of Bergdirector Geipel/Eisleben, dating from 1921 (without label, unfortunately). The cubes measure up to 2,5 cm.
 Viewed:  53461 Time(s)

Fluorit (Neudorf).JPG

Vivianit (Waldsassen).JPG
 Description:
Where do good vivianites come from? Trepca, yes. Bolivia, yes. Germany... Germany? Yes!! There is a locality in Bavaria, the Bayerland mine near Waldsassen, Fichtelgebirge. This mine gave crystals up to 10 cm in pyrrhotite. Normally the bigger ones (5 cm and more) are rather irregular but this one (more than 9 cm!) isn´t. I would say it´s the best piece of my collection!
 Viewed:  53382 Time(s)

Vivianit (Waldsassen).JPG

Vivianit 2.JPG
 Description:
A detail of the vivianite crystal
 Viewed:  53373 Time(s)

Vivianit 2.JPG

Anthophyllit (Silbach).JPG
 Description:
Anthophyllite asbestos from the Kuhlenberg quarry, Silbach, Sauerland, Westphalia. About 8,5 cm in width.
 Viewed:  53408 Time(s)

Anthophyllit (Silbach).JPG

Rhodochrosit (Kleinvoigtsberg).JPG
 Description:
If you like Sweet Home mine rhodochrosites you´ll smile at me if I tell you that this is a very good Saxonian rhodochrosite sample. About 6,5 cm consisting of tiny saddle-shaped rhombs. From Alte Hoffnung Gottes mine, Kleinvoigtsberg, Freiberg district, Erzgebirge, Saxony. Rhodochrosite for itself is not that rare in Freiberg, but crystals are. Kleinvoigtsberg and Rothenfurth developed the best ones. Today it´s very hard to find any, this one I got at the Freiberg show in 2009. With two old labels (dating from 1901) - "Dialogit" is an old German name for rhodochrosite (being in use until approx. 1920).
 Viewed:  53404 Time(s)

Rhodochrosit (Kleinvoigtsberg).JPG

Etikett Dialogit (Freiberg).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  53377 Time(s)

Etikett Dialogit (Freiberg).jpg

Etikett Rhodochrosit (Freiberg).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  53356 Time(s)

Etikett Rhodochrosit (Freiberg).jpg

Selen (Tilkerode).JPG
 Description:
Another systematic killer: native selenium with Sulphur in vial (as old as the hills...) from the known selenium mineral locality Tilkerode, Harz (type locality of naumannite and eskebornite and - as some experts say - even clausthalite). The vial is about 5,5 cm in length.
 Viewed:  53383 Time(s)

Selen (Tilkerode).JPG

Schachtel g.JPG
 Description:
Micromounting in the old days: little box with label, dating from 1875.
 Viewed:  53341 Time(s)

Schachtel g.JPG

Schachtel o.JPG
 Description:
Opened, showing the little massive pyrargyrite sample (3 cm) from Gesegnete Bergmannshoffnung mine, Obergruna, Freiberg district, Erzgebirge, Saxony.
 Viewed:  53349 Time(s)

Schachtel o.JPG

Pyrolusitpseudo (Öhrenstock).JPG
 Description:
Pyrolusite pseudo after calcite scalenohedrons (covered with a thin hematite layer) from the Luthersteufe mine near Öhrenstock, Ilmenau, Thuringia. Classic sample, about 6,5 cm in height. Similar pseudos are known from the manganite locality Ilfeld, Harz or from the Westerwald, Rhineland-Palatinate.
 Viewed:  53332 Time(s)

Pyrolusitpseudo (Öhrenstock).JPG

Antonjewitsch-Etikett (Pyrolusit Öhrenstock).JPG
 Description:
The man who crafted this label really loved his collection... All laborious handmade, former Antonjewitsch collection/Berlin (about 1950).
 Viewed:  53374 Time(s)

Antonjewitsch-Etikett (Pyrolusit Öhrenstock).JPG

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 10
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

Jump to: