We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 11:54

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Wire "silvers" from Imiter (Morocco)
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

parfaitelumiere

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 07:37    Post subject: Re: Wire "silvers" from Imiter (Morocco)  

Interesting, thanks for the information.
My question is: are there some visible crystals on these artificial silver wires?
Are there proustite or acanthite crystals, or quartz on these fakes?
Why I ask this, is because I have a specimen from Imiter, and it seems to be some acanthite and other crystals with silver, and the silver wires are not bright.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 09:24    Post subject: Re: Wire Silvers from Imiter (Morocco)  

Hello,

I won't answer you for quartz & proustite, but regarding acanthite the answer is definitely yes as acanthite is a silver sulfide. As fake silver wires are grown from acanthite you'll always find acanthite as matrix.

Regarding the luster of the silver wires, it will mainly depend on when the specimen was collected. If you have silver cutlery at home you probably noticed they tend to lose their luster throughout time. It is the same with silver wires.

I recommend you to have a look at the pictures taken by Joan Abella Creus and available on his blog. You can easily see the iron oxide alterations on fakes due to the acanthite heating producing artificial silver wires. I'm not sure, but somebody did an English translation in Mindat if I remember well.

Christophe

blackink

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 09:57    Post subject: Re: Wire Silvers from Imiter (Morocco)  

I saw the silvers in the bottom of this page http : // www . irocks . com/Tucson2_Minerals_2010.html?page=2 and I'm shocked.
What was said here in this thread is uncertain?

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 12:04    Post subject: Re: Wire Silvers from Imiter (Morocco)  

The old saying goes that the only things that are certain in life are death and taxes. One thing we can be fairly sure of is that where there is money to be made, fraud and deception are likely to follow. It is well known and well documented with other high-value collectibles such as the fine art and antiques trades.

It has been shown that wire silvers can be grown in the laboratory. Does this mean that those on the market have been? The subject has undergone lengthy discussions, both here and on Mindat, and no real consensus seems to have emerged as how to tell natural from man-made. I know of one scientist/collector who did a fair amount of analytical work on the wire silvers that were reportedly from Himmelfirst, back when that controversy was raging. He told me that he could not get his data published because the editor of the journal he offered it to was afraid of stepping into the controversy. This is unfortunate, as we now seemingly find ourselves dealing with the same issue.

In the end, if we want to collect minerals, we pay our money and take our chances. Having a good education about these things helps, but will never be a guarantee that we won't become a victim of fraud. Too many emotions are tied up with the acquisition of these things, and this often clouds judgment. The wire silvers may be natural, or they may be man-made. If one purchases a specimen thinking it is natural and later finds out that it is not, can one take the loss? If yes, then perhaps best not to worry about it too much. If not, perhaps best to collect minerals that don't have this question hanging over them.

Jesse

Peter

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 12:28    Post subject: Re: Wire Silvers from Imiter (Morocco)  

Thanks Jordi for the analyses!
I myself certainly trust my own senses when seeing new specimens, no matter from where, what species... but it is certain that there are people whose minds are always thinking of how to make "quick money" no matter how.
People fake anything from parking tickets to pieces of art.
As long as WE LET THEM, there will always be people making fake minerals and fossils, coloring, irradiating, heating, gluing different specimens together, making replicas (fossils) or sticking pieces together from different fossils to create one sellable one, or the same with minerals. I would say there is no limit to imagination how people come up with various fakes etc. Now, luckily, most minerals we do see at mineral shows are certainly legitimate, but I am certainly NOT SO WEALTHY that I would throw my money away on anything which I was not certain it is natural, unless I want an example of a fake etc.

str4hler

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 12:33    Post subject: Re: Wire Silvers from Imiter (Morocco)  

That's why I like it best to travel there and find the minerals myself.
When I dig them out and hold them up in the sun, then I know for sure it's real ;)

Cheers! Frank

Peter

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 12:40    Post subject: Re: Wire Silvers from Imiter (Morocco)  

I completely agree

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 12:45    Post subject: Re: Wire Silvers from Imiter (Morocco)  

I have to disagree with Chris that iron oxide films on a specimen prove anything about whether silver wires are natural or fakes, as iron oxide films are easily added to specimens, and easily removed. It remains extraordinarily difficult or impossible to prove whether a silver wire is natural or not. I've seen silver wires with pyrargyrite or proustite druze growing on them, and I presume those to be natural, as I can't think of any easy way to duplicate that artificially, but without younger minerals (not including acanthite, which forms very easily on silver wires anyway) it is difficult. I'd encourage anyone collecting silver wires to photograph them in situ before removal from the mine.

Nevertheless, after all that, my gut feeling (no proof) is that the vast majority of silver wire specimens on the market are natural, not faked. With the exception of well-documented historic Kongsberg pieces, deservedly precious, and perhaps a few other old european localities, silver wires are not exactly a rare mineral; they are surprisingly abundant in nature and not too expensive, so I don't think too many dealers would go to a lot of trouble to fake them.

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: