We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Mar-00:03:53 Identification question (Jim Wilkinson)
28 Mar-23:16:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 29, 2024 02:29

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
New book - Terra Mineralia

Index -> Freiberg Museums

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John S. White
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2008 06:18    Post subject: New book - Terra Mineralia  

Another wonderful new book has just been published, this one in both English and German. A description follows:

Terra mineralia

In the autumn of 2008, “terra mineralia,” one of the world’s most important mineral collections was first presented to the public in Saxony’s well-known mining city of Freiberg. About 5000 minerals, gemstones, and meteorites are exhibited. This was possible because Dr. Erika Pohl-Ströher had given her extraordinary private collection to the Technical University Bergakademie Freiberg as a permanent loan. During 40 years of collecting, Dr. Pohl-Ströher had assembled minerals from Europe, Asia, America and Australia and assorted them according to countries and localities. This assortment by geographical regions has been retained in the exhibit at the Schloss Freudenstein, where the collection can be seen today. Consistent with the exhibit, the TU Bergakademie Freiberg has now published the luxury edition "terra mineralia – highlights from the world of minerals." As an introductory chapter, the history of Schloss Freudenstein is described. From 2004 to 2007 the castle was reconstructed and renovated to provide room for the exhibit as well as for mining archives of the city of Freiberg. The concept and development of terra mineralia are described and illustrated by many photographs. As in the museum, the book invites you on a tour through the exhibit. The gorgeous photos bring the precious content of the glass cases to your home.

The tour starts in Germany, wandering from the Erzgebirge to Vogtland, through Siegerland and Sauerland to Westerwald and Hunsrück. Gorgeous specimens of native silver from Brand-Erbisdorf in Erzgebirge, or rhodochrosite from Herdorf, Siegerland will delight the reader. This is followed by a tour through Europe from England to Greece. A special chapter is dedicated to the minerals of Russia, showing mainly galena and calcite. The journey then leads to Asia. The variety of shape and colors of Chinese minerals is overwhelming, not to overlook the Indian and Afghan minerals, such as epidote and aquamarine, which surely match these. The African chapter visits Morocco, Malawi, Congo, Namibia, and South Africa. Vanadinite, cerussite, and wulfenite will impress your eyes. Coming from the American continent, gigantic amethyst druses make collectors’ hearts beat faster and also tourmaline, rutile and rhodochrosite specimens are spectacular. The world tour ends in Australia with wonderful photos of crocoite and opal. A special chapter deals with meteorites and their companions, like moldavites from Bohemia.

Altogether the book terra mineralia is a real visual pleasure and the best alternative for all those who have to postpone their trip to Freiberg.

Text by Andreas Fels

Terra mineralia – Glanzlichter aus der Welt der Mineralien, Editor: TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Bode Verlag, Haltern am See 2008, 176 pages, many photos. ISBN 978-3-86012-347-8, 39,80 Euro

Reply to topic Reply with quote

bugrock

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2008 00:13    Post subject: Re: New book - Terra mineralia  

Hello,

Would be very interested to learn how and where we can order the book. Is it available on the English Amazon site? Or will it be offered there soon?

Also, I would be interested to learn more about the mineral museums and displays available in the Freiberg region (are there old mine tours?). Has anyone in the discussion group recently visited the area? Please post photos if possible.

Thanks

George J Balogh

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2008 05:34    Post subject: Re: New book - Terra mineralia  

There are indeed mine tours available in Freiberg and there are now two great museums with minerals to visit. An article about all of this will appear soon in Rocks & Minerals magazine, with photos. It is probably a bit early for the book to be offered on Amazon, but I am sure that ordering information will appear soon.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2008 05:37    Post subject: Re: New book - Terra mineralia  

I made a mistake in what I wrote above. The English edition of terra mineralia is not yet available but is scheduled to be produced next spring, in 2009.

Sorry about that.

Terra Mineralia.gif
 Description:
An English edition will be available in the Spring of 2009.
 Viewed:  20400 Time(s)

Terra Mineralia.gif

Debbie Woolf

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2009 19:35    Post subject: Re: New book - Terra mineralia  

Is there a biography on Dr Erika Pohl-Ströher ? Can anyone point me in the right direction please ?

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2010 05:29    Post subject: Re: New book - Terra mineralia  

Really good news for the linguistically challenged English only speaking mineral community. After unanticipated delays, the English language edition of "terra mineralia - Highlights from the World of Minerals" is now available. I received my copy at the Munich show last week. I will have to get back to this with ordering information, unless someone else steps in and provides those details.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2010 11:54    Post subject: Re: New book - Terra Mineralia  

Debbie Woolf wrote:
Is there a biography on Dr Erika Pohl-Ströher ? Can anyone point me in the right direction please ?

Born in 1919, she is half Swiss and half German and was businesswoman and shareholder of the German Wella Concern that was founded by her grandparents. She also has a doctor's degree in biology. When the Wella concern was sold in in 2003, she got the small pocket money of ~ 800 million Euro, and in 2004, she allocated her magnificent mineral collection (~ 80,000 specimens at all) to the famous Bergakademie Freiberg in Saxony in order to finally have a public exhibition for everyone to enjoy. And after Freudenstein Castle in Freiberg was restored, the Bergakademie took the 5,000 best specimens, placed them at Freudenstein Castle and thus made one of the most thrilling and most precious mineral exhibitions in the world out of them ...

Index -> Freiberg Museums   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: