We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 04:07

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
What are "floaters?"
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tracy

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2008 14:10    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

I confess I haven't seen or owned any specimens of this type. I do remember coming across a description of something like that in the course of visiting websites, but I am too new to this hobby to have had any details stick with me. I put it out as a hypothetical based on stuff I have come across, but given that I have nothing to back it, it's probably better to cross this one off as a bad example...unless someone else has seen any such things.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2008 16:14    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

Waiting to have the chance to publish here the articles, on the meantime I answer this John's request:

....and pyrites from Spain that occur in a sort of marl, a soft rock the proper name for which I do not know but I am sure that one of our Spanish contributors will come up with right away...

The Spanish name fore this soft rock is "marga" and I think that the English translation of this word is: loam.

Jordi

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2008 04:52    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

Sorry, Frank, to break the news but there are other single crystal collectors out there. Oddly enough, there are not all that many, a fact that pleases me because it does reduce the competition. I am reminded of Richard "Dick" Bideaux who collected labels from mineral dealers and collectors. He did not advertise the fact that he collected these because he did not want to invite competition. I feel somewhat the same way about collecting single crystals, but it is such a satisfying aspect of the hobby that I am surprised that more people don't do it.

I also collect quartz and I suspect that there are probably far more quartz collectors than single crystal collectors. This, too, is a very challenging and satsifying specialty because one can always find new and different quartz specimens, often at very reasonable prices.

str4hler

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2008 11:47    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

Hi John,

thanks for the mental support ; but I was mostly making a joke, like I usually do. Sorry ;-)
I usually don't buy minerals, minerals come to me, so I'm not afraid for a little competition :-)
Examples: In Bologna I stumbled over a 6 cm double terminated Poona-stilibite-xl, on which I cannot find any point of attachment... for 5 euro. Then I stumbled over a 3 cm Az glauberite-xl floater for 1 euro, then 5 perfect double terminated Quarz-xls with organic inclusions for 1 euro, and so on... not to mention some Corocoro material... that material was just lying there in a box, screaming "people don't see me, please take me". Well... One should always help others, so I took the material home. Another advantage of collecting "floaters" is, that usually the material is small. So when you fly to a mineral fair with handluggage only. Those little xls fit in your pocket, or in a wooden sigar-box :-)

Cheers! Frank

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2008 04:40    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

Here are the columns about single crystals published by John S. White on the magazine Rock & Minerals:

https://www.rocksandminerals.org/

Thanks to Marie Huizing for the permission to reproduce these columns!

Columns about single crystals published by John S. White
on the volume 81, November/December 2006
of the ROCKS & MINERALS magazine

Joan R.

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2008 05:52    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

Here are another columns about the -hedrals published by John S. White on the magazine Rocks & Minerals:

https://www.rocksandminerals.org/

Thanks to Marie Huizing for the permission to reproduce these columns!

Columns about the -hedrals published by John S. White
on the volume 77, September/October 2002
of the ROCKS & MINERALS magazine

Joan R.

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2008 06:08    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

Here is a guest editorial about single crystals published by John S. White on The Mineralogical Record:

https://www.minrec.org/

Thanks to Wendell E. Wilson for the permission to reproduce the editorial!

Guest editorial about single crystals published by John S. White
on the volume 25, No. 5, September-October 1994
of the magazine The Mineralogical Record.

Mick Cooper

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2008 15:30    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

It seems to me that the basic problem of the term “floater” is the dichotomy between how it’s used and what it implies. The latter is easy – the item was created in suspension in a fluid. However, it’s usually used to refer to a single crystal or group of crystals with no apparent point of attachment. I have two problems with this: (1) the word “apparent.” (2) how to describe a specimen comprising crystals on a piece of matrix that overall has no point of attachment?
Take no. 1 first: there might be – or possibly have been - a point of attachment that is no longer obvious. Perhaps it is too inconspicuous to see. Perhaps the crystal was once attached, broke off and the broken part was healed by further growth. Is this a “floater”? Sometimes the re-growth is obvious, sometimes I guess it may not be. I would count the famous Spanish pyrite cubes as unequivocal floaters since they must have grown in isolation unimpeded by the surrounding medium at the time of growth. Likewise certain feldspar crystals that must have formed in a melt.
But what of type 2? For example I have a very fine Dalnegorsk pyrrhotite crystal on a matrix of quartz crystals which is, as far as I can see (even under a microscope), complete all round. Similarly a piece of what I assume is vein breccia completely covered in vanadinite – there is likewise no apparent point of attachment on this either. I am certain neither formed while floating in the vein. So what do I call them to indicate their completeness? There is undoubtedly – to my mind - something special about such specimens, but calling them “floaters” implies a history that they palpably cannot possess.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2008 16:25    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

A true euhedral "floater", with no point of attachment can grow in various types of "fluid" environment, like the feldspar and augite phenocrysts in magma, already mentioned by previous posters, and the spanish pyrite crystals. In the latter case, I am assuming that the medium was a plastic carbonate-rich mud or clay rather than a true fluid, and the growing pyrites pushed the surrounding mud out of the way? (Has this been studied?) And the same would probably be true of other euhedral crystals that originally grew in clay - gypsum is a common example - that later hardened and became the matrix rock. Less commonly, the same can happen in the clay filling pegmatite pockets. I wouldn't call a spanish pyrite crystal a "floater" if it is still attached to its matrix. A euhedral crystal becomes a floater after it is detached from its matrix (otherwise it would be difficult to prove it was truly euhedral, except perhaps by x-ray!).

Other interesting ways some floaters grow: Small euhedral floaters can grow in the upward-flowing water of hydrothermal systems, which keeps the crystal in suspension until it eventually grows heavy enough to precipitate out. This must be the origin of floaters in ore veins. Another mechanism is crystals that grow in very fine-grained but highly porous host rocks. The crystal grows interstitially and does not push extraneous grains out of the way; it just incorporates them as it grows larger. This is common for crystals like boracite and danburite growing in the sugar-like anhydrite of saltdome caprocks. They are full of millions of tiny grains of their host rock, but I've never been able to understand how they manage to maintain a smooth surface as they grow - perhaps some surface tension effect pulls matrix grains away from the growing crystal surface?

I used to dream of having a good "floater" collection, but my good friend John White talks me out of the best ones, and all I get to keep are the crappy leftovers. Oh well, at least they went to an appreciative home ;((

Cheers,
Alfredo

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2008 20:23    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

My good friend Alfredo wrote this: " otherwise it would be difficult to prove it was truly euhedral." I am not sure what he meant. A crystal is either euhedral or it is not, depending upon how one might limit one's defintion of euhedral. Take a look it at. Is it bounded on all sides by crystal faces? If so, it is euhedral. Where we run into difficulty is if one, like myself, prefers to limit euhedral to crystals that have grown in a semi-rigid or liquid medium, like a magma or a metamorphic environment experiencing high temperatures and/or pressures. Garnets in a schist are, to my way of thinking, euhedral. Floaters in a pegmatite are not. But, then, I am a purist and old-fashioned to boot. I like definitions to mean something.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2008 11:47    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

And how will you know the crystal is bounded on all sides by faces if it is still partially embedded in an opaque matrix? "Euhedral" is just an assumption unless the crystal is removed from its matrix.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2008 04:45    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

Of course, Alfredo, and I assumed we were talking about floaters in this context. That is, crystals free of matrix.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 12:08    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

I publish myself a message from Konstantinos. He had some troubles with our antispam system, so, helping him I fixed it and publish it now:

Hello all!

I've heard a lot of mineralogists argue about the term floater which seems to be a mineral collector/dealer term.

I'll try to give a definition of what I THINK it IS. I would also like to suggest some ways of how I THINK it is formed. I say THINK, because I am not a mineralogist myself and the term is not officially defined yet, to my knowledge.

So, floater for me is a SPECIMEN (single crystal OR cluster of crystals of one or more different mineral species) that is TERMINATED all the way around, with no contacts of missing crystals, on all surfaces, at its pristine condition.

Respectively, Spanish Pyrite cubes ARE floaters, because they are terminated all around, although they came out of a matrix rock. Also, a matrix specimen can still be a floater, if the matrix crystals are terminated to the visible surface of the specimen, although separate crystals are terminated.

Single crystals, according to my definition are not floaters, unless they are terminated on all sides.

In my definition I mention: "at its pristine condition". Clarifying that, I would like to say that a seriously damaged specimen (I'm talking about contact(s) of now-missing crystal(s) or broken termination, not chips and dings) can still be a floater, if it was a floater at its undamaged condition. For example, if a cluster of Quartz points that was fully terminated once, and so a floater, has small contact of a missing crystal or/and a broken crystal, is still a floater, however, a damaged floater.

How floaters form:

1-If a single crystal or a cluster of connected crystals of one or more mineral species, for some reason (for example,vibration) leaves the matrix rock and then regenerates at the point of attachment to the matrix rock, then it becomes terminated all around, so a floater.

2-If a single crystal or a cluster of connected crystals of one or more mineral species leaves the matrix rock and then crystals of different species form all around, then the whole specimen is terminated all around, and so a floater. This one would be a matrix piece and still a floater. To visualize this, imagine a singly-terminated Quartz point, broken off of the matrix rock and then Calcite crystals grown around the broken bottom and cover it. You have a nice matrix floater specimen. In this case, the Quartz point was the matrix, since it was formed before the Calcite crystals.

3-If a single crystal of a cluster of connected crystals of one or more mineral species that is/are terminated on all visible sides are partially or fully cover by matrix rock, which is later removed (chemically,mechanically), the new specimen is terminated all around, and so a floater.

That's it! If I am mistaken in anything I write due to miss of mineralogical knowledge, please forgive me and correct me.

All the best!
-Kostas.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 14:10    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

In general, I believe that Konstantinos has provided a quite reasonable definition of the term floater, as it applies to mineral specimens, EXCEPT for the part copied here:

"For example, if a cluster of Quartz points that was fully terminated once, and so a floater, has small contact of a missing crystal or/and a broken crystal, is still a floater, however, a damaged floater."

The problem with this is that one cannot know if the damage represents a former connection to additional crystals of the same or different minerals, so one cannot be certain that the specimen was ever a true floater.

And, there is a very fine line between a crystal showing no contacts all the way around, and a crystal that has a microscopic contact that now cannot be observed because it is so tiny or there is no evidence of it to be seen. What is the difference between a crystal that grew suspended on a fiber and the fiber has been removed so that the contact does not show, and a crystal like the Spanish cube-shaped pyrites that grew in total contact with their matrix? This may be an artifical distinction, and an unnecessary one.

In my own collecting I prefer to call crystals floaters if they appear to be floaters, and I do not attempt to make the conditions too rigid. After all, I only have to satisfy my own conditions, and I find that they are at least slightly flexible. If I am a dealer and I am selling a crystal that I believe is a floater, then perhaps I have to be a little more careful in my definition.

Konstantinos Ch.

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 15:11    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

Hello again!

This is to thank Jordi very much for fixing and posting my reply and to make some additions.

Is a specimen with tiny literally microscopical contact(s) a floater? No , it's not, but it should be valued only a little less, in my opinion, of course considering the rest factors of valuing a specimen. A dealer should inform the clients about the contact(s) , no doubt! But we like floaters because we see the fully terminated crystals all around and they look good in our case of display. So,if you care about the display, it is technically a floater. If you are too strict, then don't pick the piece.

Is a naturally etched or naturally polished crystal a floater? Yes, if it was terminated all around before it gets etched or polished. However, this is hard to understand when a crystal has suffered that conditions. The important is that it looks the same all around now and it can "work" as a floater in any case, showing etching instead of terminations.

Rarity? I really don't know... I guess it depends on the locality and the material. Using the Spanish Pyrite Cubes again as an example, I will say that floaters from this material are more than common. The dealers prefer to repair the crystals back to matrix than selling them as free standing floaters. Certainly, the term itself doesn't indicate the rarity of the piece.

What is for sure is that being a floater is not always an advantage for a specimen, but it's always something better than a disadvantage.

Any comments would be very welcome!

Take care!
_Kostas.

Konstantinos Ch.

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 16:16    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

Hi once again!

John, thank you for your comment. I was sure someone would comment this one! John is right, we cannot be sure. But, sometimes, unfortunately, our own floaters may get damaged and a crystal could be removed and leave back a contact. We should still know that we are holding a floater, unfortunately, a damaged one.

Also, when a dealer sells a ball cluster of massive Sphalerite at 10 x 10 x 10 cm covered with Quartz points with the biggest measuring 0, 5 cm , and the specimen has a missing Quartz point, I don't see why shouldn't we believe the man the piece is a (damaged) floater. In such cases it is far less possible that the missing crystal was actually the link to another part of the same specimen.

And to clarify something: When I say contact, I mean contact between two crystals two at a time) of the SAME mineral species. And I mention only this type of contact because it's very typical for each species.

All the best!
-Kostas.

Peter

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 04:12    Post subject: Re: What are "floaters?"  

I would think that the word schwimmer or english floater is a practical term (and not entirely genetical) which originated from miners/collectors finding loose crystals, crystal groups or crystals on matrix (with crystallization all around) for instance in an cavity, perhaps chock full of specimen, pocket sand or clay or also with open space. Many pockets to have a big portion of open space. This cavity may have been in a hydrothermal ore vein, a pegmatite pocket, an alpine cleft or a augite crystal found loose in a farming field in the Eifel region of Germany.
Strahlers (crystal seekers) have been active profesionally since the 1400s in Switzerland and perhaps the name originated here.

Many alpine clefts and pegmatite pockets have open space and it is not rare to find some specimens laying loose with no obvious poit of attachment. They may or may not have been formed originally in a medium in a medium not in contact with the pocket walls. A floater may also consist of a specimen found " floating" i.e. loose from the pocket walls where for instance a once pocket wall plate detached and recrystallised, a single crystal shattered and recrystallised although an "ideal" floater is truly well and fully developed in all directions and is laying loose in a pocket or embedded in sand, pocket clay etc. Now, often there may be some other minerals, mica, clay minerals, fibreous minerals etc attached in some spots and this may or may not be a point where the specimen once was truly attached (by crystallised minerals) to the pocket wall, floor etcetera which may be impossible to know for sure even if you dug that specimen out of the pocket yourself.
In the Navajun deposits I do not know of open pockets with floater crystals. Yes, they are euhedral (I think really most are) but sitting in matrix broken out of other matrix I would not call them floaters.
Pockets with pyrite may occur in other margo or limestones of primary pocket origin (i.e. formed during some event.... where minerals crystallised or re crystallised( or of secondary origin i.e. for instance formed by later weathering or dissolution processes. Example water flow in a fissure and in some places dissolving encapsulating margo, limestone etc. It is not uncommon to find pyrites in such conditions. These may be floaters, laying loos in the pocket.

For instance the Karelia beryl mine in Finland is a large pegmatite with several crawl in size pockets, some of them with large floaters smoky quartz crystals. Most of the gem beryls (green to golden) were here found frozen in matrix in the pocket! That is the entire pocket was filled with recrystallized feldspar, mica, beryl, and Fe ox hydroxides etc. Once removed one would be tempted to call them floaters but most of them really were not (i.e laying loose in the pocket) although in a few instances this was the case.

The Himalaya Mine in California has produced numerous pockets which have been chock full of crystals with just some tiny open spece inbetween just enough to barely be able to gently wiggle out crystals without damaging them or the atached cleavelandite/lepidolite/quartz. Many of them are true floaters, tully developed in all directions, not attached by crystallisation but perfectly wedged inbetween others alike.

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: