We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Mar-10:12:28 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
29 Mar-09:43:41 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Josele)
29 Mar-09:31:55 Re: identification question (Bob Carnein)
29 Mar-08:09:52 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
29 Mar-07:25:48 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
29 Mar-06:20:21 Re: identification question (James Catmur)
29 Mar-00:03:53 Identification question (Jim Wilkinson)
28 Mar-23:16:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 29, 2024 10:31

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Logging in from multiple computers

Index -> Forum questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tracy

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2008 13:43    Post subject: Logging in from multiple computers  

Quick question: is it possible to be logged in to the Forum simultaneously from more than one computer? I have a new computer setup where I have a home computer that accesses my office computer remotely. I am already logged in to the office computer and if I try to submit postings to the Forum from my home computer it won't let me log in. Will I have to log off from the office computer first, then log in from the home computer, to post to the Forum without going trough the remote access? The setup is convenient for my work, but navigating websites with photos by this remote arrangement is very slow and frustrating.

- It is also possible that I am trying to login from my home computer using the wrong password, but either way I thought it a good general question to ask...

Thanks,
Tracy

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2008 14:24    Post subject: Re: Logging in from multiple computers  

Hi Tracy,

First thing : congratulation for your very good French. Didn't know you were that good. :-)

From what I know about phpBB, you can't login several times at once using the same login. Each time you login, phpBB creates a session which is login specific. As a result, if you try to login twice for instance, it will detect your previous session and bypass the login procedure.

Now if you want to post through your office computer, you'll need to use the web browser of your office computer, not the one of your home computer. Doing it through a remote control software will be verrryyyyy slow (as you experienced).

Will I have to log off from the office computer first, then log in from the home computer
=> For the forum, yes. This is the more simple thing to do. Remember a login session usually lasts a few hours. After that delay you are automatically logged out (it is done to prevent overloading servers).

The setup is convenient for my work, but navigating websites with photos by this remote arrangement is very slow and frustrating
=> Not surprising. You add another relay.

It is also possible that I am trying to login from my home computer using the wrong password
=> Yes, but based on what you wrote I would point this way. If I were you, I would logout the office computer, and login from my home computer.

Hope it helped you a bit.

Christophe
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tracy

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2008 17:40    Post subject: Re: Logging in from multiple computers  

Salut Christophe -

Ah well, it is as I suspected. Guess I will have to uncheck the box to automatically log into my office computer. It makes things even worse that my compaany's main servers are in Californoa while I am in New Jersey - all in all, information has a long way to travel to reach my computer! Anyway, thanks for the input, it was helpful.

As for French...I do not consider myself fluent, but grew up in Montreal (I'm an "anglo") where I got plenty of exposure to the language. :-)

Bon weekend!
Tracy

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2008 02:47    Post subject: Re: Logging in from multiple computers  

Bonjour Tracy,

So you come from "la Belle Province", the town of Robert Charlebois. I'm glad it helped you fix your problem. Personally I only use my computer at work to do my work and nothing else. It helps avoiding troubles like this one ;-).

Jordi I'm curious how long can you stay logged in on the server hosting the forum ?

Bon dimanche ! (Enjoy your Sunday)

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2008 02:56    Post subject: Re: Logging in from multiple computers  

Hi Chris and Tracy,

My webmaster, Joan, returns tonight, I prefer to let him respond to you.

Jordi

Joan Fabre
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2008 09:45    Post subject: Re: Logging in from multiple computers  

Hi all,

First of all, thanks to chris for his answer, I'm not always available to answer soon your questions, so it's always very useful if someone else helps me to answer technical issues.

I'll try to answer the questions:

Is it possible to log in from multiple computers?

The answer is YES. As chris says, we use PHPbb, but an improved and personalized version, so yes, in our forum you'll be able to log in from your home, and also from your office at the same time. If you have any problem, tell me, it should work.

Jordi I'm curious how long can you stay logged in on the server hosting the forum ?

The exact answer is 86400 seconds!.. it means a whole day. Anyway, if you have the "automatic login" check-box marked, the session is virtually unlimited, because the forum will log you in automatically every 24 hours of inactivity. As we upgraded our servers, we are able to provide such long sessions.

I hope this helps.

Joan

Index -> Forum questions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: