We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 17:09

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Louis Collection - Comments

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carles Millan
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 04:53    Post subject: Louis Collection - Comments  

Hi Louis!

Thank you for publishing your "Louis Collection" photos in FMF.

However, in order to prevent the system from sending too many messages to the forum members watching your topic I advise you to gather the photos of the same specimen in a single post. The limit is rather large, I think you can add as many as ten pictures every time, which is more than enough.

Please, keep going. Your contributions will be very appreciated.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 04:59    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Hi Carles:

Thank you for the tip, but Jordi already contacted me about it. Could you delete the "matrix is a volcanic rock." The geologist might object.

Regards
LF

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 05:05    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Louis Friend wrote:
Could you delete the "matrix is a volcanic rock." The geologist might object.

Done.

In fact I had gotten a bit puzzled since I never heard that Mt Xuebaoding were a volcanic deposit.

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 05:18    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Hi Carles:

The rock does not look metamorphic or sedimentary - it does look “magmatic” under the x20 field lens but I am a lowly physicist so some input from a qualified field geologist with a good knowledge of Chinese localities would be helpful. Hint! Hint!

Kind Regards

LF

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 05:35    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Louis Friend wrote:
The rock does not look metamorphic or sedimentary - it does look “magmatic”

As far as I know, Mt Xuebaoding deposit was formed by a hydrothermal process (i.e. precipitation from aqueous solution). Just google xuebaoding hydrothermal.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 05:36    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

You can add 15 photos to a single post. I suggest you read this explanation of how to do it (which I had the joy(?) of translating) noting points 4) onwards

https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=19493#19493

James

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 05:45    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Louis Friend wrote:
The rock does not look metamorphic or sedimentary - it does look “magmatic”

The matrix is indeed magmatic, you are right, but the cassiterite and probably the muscovite crystals in your specimen were produced in a cleft by supersaturation of a very hot water stream when either the pressure or the temperature, or both, became lower.

Mineral genesis is a highly interesting topic that unfortunately very few collectors talk about.

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 06:03    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Hi Carles:

Thanks for the update. I had bought a book on geology that has a good section of identifying rocks in the field and it comes with lots of colour slides for each class of rock. So I was confident that I had at least defined the matrix correctly. Ii do agree that most collectors are not interested in the 'rocks' that host their crystal and fewer in the physics of phase diagrams. Again many thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

LF

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 06:18    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Louis Friend wrote:
I do agree that most collectors are not interested in the 'rocks' that host their crystal and fewer in the physics of phase diagrams.

If you are ever interested in such a topic (mineral genesis) I would recommend reading this excellent book by Robinson, sold out but you can still find copies:

RobinsonBook.jpg
 Description:
_Robinson's book "Minerals", 208 pages, published in 1994 by Simon & Schuster, written by George W. Robinson, Ph.D., born in 1946, working at Michigan Technological University, and member of the "Board of Directors" of "The Mineralogical Record"
 Viewed:  19984 Time(s)

RobinsonBook.jpg

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 09:05    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Hi to everybody!
Interesting!!! Where can I find this book? You said it is sold out, who knows what for a price should it have! Ok it is a little old (almost 18 years are over since the book was printed), nevertheless every collector should have it!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 09:28    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
Interesting!!! Where can I find this book? You said it is sold out, who knows what for a price should it have! Ok it is a little old (almost 18 years are over since the book was printed), nevertheless every collector should have it!

I purchased it in April 2009 from Stetson Enterprises, LLC, based in Columbia, South Carolina, a business found through Amazon bookstore, for €15.95 plus S&H. The book I received was new, in perfect shape. Don't be afraid for it being 18 years old. Still looks like completely up to date.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 09:48    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Louis Friend wrote:

...I hope to make FMF my “semi-official” minerals homepage. Again many thanks to FMF and Jordi!

As Louis want to use his thread "Louis Collection" as a kind of homepage, I moved to this new thread all comments it generated in order to let "Louis Collection" devoted just to the specimens of his collection and this thread to the comments.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 09:56    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Pete Richards wrote:

George Robinson's book is an excellent one, and unusual in that it focuses on the processes by which, and environments in which minerals form. These processes and environments are timeless, so all that might happen in 18 years is some better understanding of them. But the book will continue to be valuable for many years. Amazon(.)com lists several new and more than 20 used copies....

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 10:42    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

My guess is that the book can be found as a used copy on a website such as amazon.com.

Susan Robinson

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 10:59    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

George's book "Minerals" was also published with George Harlow's book titled "Gems & Crystals from the American Museum of Natural History", as one book. The two books were bound together by the publisher, Simon & Shuster in the mid to late 1990s. I hope this information is useful for anyone looking for more copies of his book.

Susan Robinson

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:00    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

I forgot to provide the title of the book: Gems, Crystals, & Minerals.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:05    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

There are lots of them on Amazon -- search for George Robinson Minerals

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 16:51    Post subject: Re: Louis Collection - Comments  

Many thanks for the useful information. I will look into this book. On the recommendation of a Mineralogist from the local University here I bought the book entitled; “Minerals - Their Constitution and Origin by Hans-Rudolf Wenk and Andrei Bulakh, and published by Cambridge University Press. It is a recommended text for both undergraduate and graduate geology students. It is a great book but does assume that the reader is familiar with both physics and chemistry. If you can get past this it is a great book on all aspects of minerals, and Part V on Applied Mineralogy is outstanding.

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: