We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 07:28

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> A mineralogical trip through the states of USA

View previous topic :: View next topic  

GneissWare

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2012 23:42    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

Here are a few more...

RG0179.jpg
 Description:
Calcite

Meikle Mine (1450 Level), Bootstrap District, Elko County, Nevada, USA

54 x 39 x 26 mm

Pale yellowish twinned crystal of Calcite to 23 mm rests on a plate covered with water-clear, modified scalenohedrons of Calcite. The large Calcite has promnent twin lines. It was collected by Casey Jones in August 1998. No damage.
 Viewed:  26706 Time(s)

RG0179.jpg

RG0926a.jpg
 Description:
Baryte

SSX (South Saval Extension) Mine, Elko County, Nevada, USA

95 x 91 x 73 mm

Translucent, pale-golden, lustrous, thick tabular Baryte crystals, the largest measuring 42 x 8 mm, are perched on a contrasting sulfide matrix. Mined in 2001.
 Viewed:  26680 Time(s)

RG0926a.jpg

RG0926b.jpg
 Description:
Baryte

SSX (South Saval Extension) Mine, Elko County, Nevada, USA

95 x 91 x 73 mm

Reverse side of same specimen.
 Viewed:  26706 Time(s)

RG0926b.jpg

RL001a.jpg
 Description:
Epidote

Julie (Lola) claim, Pamlico District, near Hawthorne, Mineral County, Nevada, USA

91 x 32 x 25 mm

A fine cluster of bright-green, lustrous Epidote crystals from Nevada, with glassy luster, and stretching 43 mm to their terminations in a gently tapering and elegant spray. It is a floater and is fully terminated. It is a top specimen from this locality. Collected by Harvey Gordon, it is from the Marty Lewadny Collection (Winnipeg, Manitoba). No damage.
 Viewed:  26687 Time(s)

RL001a.jpg

RL001b.jpg
 Description:
Epidote

Julie (Lola) claim, Pamlico District, near Hawthorne, Mineral County, Nevada, USA

91 x 32 x 25 mm

another view showing the distinct crystals.
 Viewed:  26697 Time(s)

RL001b.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

am mizunaka

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 05:15    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

A sceptered smoky quartz on matrix with other smoky quartz crystals. A higher resolution version of the image is available here: https://www.mindat.org/xpic.php?fname=0665444001351677608.jpg

_MWM4057Sm.jpg
 Description:
Smoky Quartz
Petersen Mountain, Hallelujah Junction area, Washoe Co., Nevada
Approximately 10 x 12 cm.
 Viewed:  26474 Time(s)

_MWM4057Sm.jpg

am mizunaka

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2012 20:21    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

DeeBarite1.jpg
 Description:
Baryte
Dee Mine, Bootstrap District, Elko Co., Nevada
5.7 x 7.0 cm.
 Viewed:  26346 Time(s)

DeeBarite1.jpg

am mizunaka

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2012 19:25    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

BariteSSX3.jpg
 Description:
Baryte
SSX Mine, Independence Mountains District, Elko Co., Nevada
11.5 x 10.4 cm
 Viewed:  26277 Time(s)

BariteSSX3.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2013 22:50    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

Just photographed this tonight...to revive this thread.

RG1126a.jpg
 Description:
Baryte with Pyrrhotite
Hecla Rosebud Mine, Rosebud District, Sulphur, Pershing County, Nevada, USA
19.5 x 13.0 x 5.2 cm

This fine association of brassy, thin, platy crystals of Pyrrhotite to 34 x 26 mm across and lustrous, pale rosy-cream colored, blocky Baryte crystals to 22 mm are perched on matrix covered by sparkling white Quartz. This huge specimen is in pristine condition, and is top notch for this not very prolific Nevada locality.
 Viewed:  26042 Time(s)

RG1126a.jpg

Mark Ost

PostPosted: May 27, 2013 15:48    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

Astonishing colors on the opal here: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=21142#21142
Definitely the showy cousin of common opal

sambourque

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2013 13:41    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

Hello,
My name is Sam Bourque, I am the Deep Post Mine geologist who collected this specimen years ago. I can't believe I let this one get away, although I do love the Tsumeb azurite I received in trade from Casey. The pocket that this came from was my first real find in Nevada, I didn't have any barite or stibnite in my collection prior.
The pocket was on the left rib of the 3750 C Ramp, in highly silicified tectonic breccia in silty limestones of the Roberts Mountain Formation. I was chipping away at two very small cavities, and they came together into a pocket that I could fit my entire arm and shoulder into.
Unfortunately, I had only been on the job for 6 months or so at that time and was super paranoid about violating any of the 14000 or so safety rules, or appearing to be goofing off. I rushed though collecting the pocket, left half of the crystals, did a lousy job of extracting the ones I got without damage, and then didn't take the time to go get the proper packing materials to transport them out of the mine safely. Arrrrrggggghhhhhh, the biggest regret of my collecting career. The miners came in right after me, smashed their way to the back of the cavity, pulled everything out, and broke just about every crystal remaining in the process. Then they sprayed shot-crete 4" thick over the entire drift, effectively killing any more collecting in the area.
I'm glad you managed to get hold of one of the nicer specimens to come out of that pocket. I estimate there are less than 15 undamaged combination pieces in existence. I found two additional zones of stibnite on barite, and each zone is distinctly different in color and crystal habit of both species. Those zones also only produced a few dozen specimens each, so a good Deep Post stibnite-barite is a proud inclusion in any Nevada collection.
Here is my personal favorite specimen from three years working at Deep Post. This is from a 4" thick vein of pure stibnite in the 4020 WC 10R8 drift. The collecting here was rather difficult, I knocked down a slab with a 13' scaling bar and dragged it back to supported ground, and it split open perfectly revealing this guy. I'm not much of a mineral photographer, but the terminations are flawless all over this specimen, a rarity for NV stibnites that I have seen.

Cheers

Sam

100_5569.JPG
 Description:
Stibnite
Deep Post Mine, Eureka County, Nevada, USA
4.5 x 3.75 x 2cm
 Viewed:  24994 Time(s)

100_5569.JPG

GneissWare

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2013 14:20    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

sambourque wrote:
Hello,
My name is Sam Bourque, I am the Deep Post Mine geologist who collected this specimen years ago. Can't believe I let this one get away, although I do love the Tsumeb auzurite I received in trade from Casey. The pocket that this came from was my first real find in Nevada, I didn't have any Baryte or stibnite in my collection prior.
The pocket was on the left rib of the 3750 C Ramp, in highly silicified tectonic breccia in silty limestones of the Roberts Mountain Formation. I was chipping away at two very small cavities, and they came together into a pocket that I could fit my entire arm and shoulder into.
Unfortunately, I had only been on the job for 6 months or so at that time and was super paranoid about violating any of the 14000 or so safety rules, or appearing to be goofing off. I rushed though collecting the pocket, left half of the crystals, did a lousy job of extracting the ones I got without damage, and then didn't take the time to go get the proper packing materials to transport them out of the mine safely. Arrrrrggggghhhhhh, my biggest regret of my collecting career. The miners came in right after me, smashed their way to the back of the cavity, pulled everything out, and broke just about every crystal remaining in the process. Then they sprayed shot-crete 4" thick over the entire drift, effectively killing any more collecting in the area.
I'm glad you managed to get ahold of one of the nicer specimens to come out of that pocket. I estimate there are less than 15 undamaged combination pieces in existence. I found two additional zones of stibnite on Baryte, and each zone is distinctly different in color and crystal habit of both species. Those zones also only produced a few dozen specimens each, so a good Deep Post stibnite-Baryte is a proud inclusion in any Nevada collection.
Here is my personal favorite specimen from three years working at Deep Post. This is from a 4" thick vein of pure stibnite in the 4020 WC 10R8 drift. The collecting here was rather difficult, I knocked down a slab with a 13' scaling bar and dragged it back to supported ground, and it split open perfectly revealing this guy. I'm not much of a mineral photographer, but the terminations are flawless all over this specimen, a rarity for NV stibnites that I have seen.

Cheers

Sam

Sam,
Is this the specimen you are referencing? https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/files/nv01a_196.jpg

If so, this was collected from the left rib of the 3750 C Ramp by you? Just asking so I can add the info to my catalog. These were really great specimens!!
Bob

sambourque

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2013 16:05    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

Hello Bob,
Yes, that is the specimen I was referencing. I single handedly bashed it out of some very hard rock, pretty sure I traded a bit of blood for those crystals. This is the first time I've seen anything at all about Deep Post minerals online. I'll try to post some pictures of the nice stibnite-Barytes, stibnite, orpiment and realgar I collected there when I figure out how to take decent mineral photos.
Glad you like them!
Sam

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 10, 2013 02:45    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

Sorry for the meddling but because of stories like this I love the net and... of course, FMF.

Regards

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2015 04:42    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

A small almandine on matrix from Nevada:

GarnetHillALM.JPG
 Mineral: Almandine
 Locality:
Garnet Hill, Ely, Robinson District, White Pine County, Nevada, USA
 Dimensions: Specimen height 4 cm, almandine crystal 9 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  22217 Time(s)

GarnetHillALM.JPG

rweaver

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2017 11:51    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

Former Harvey Collection #19

nv12.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz on Barite
 Locality:
Murray Mine, Independence Mountains District, Elko County, Nevada, USA
 Dimensions: 7.3cm x 6.0cm
 Description:
Sugarbowl Pocket
 Viewed:  19618 Time(s)

nv12.jpg

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2017 12:19    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

The Sugarbowl Pocket was in the Murray Mine. I'm not aware of quartz-coated barites from the Meikle Mine.

rweaver

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2017 13:02    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Nevada  

You are right I selected the wrong location from the menu. Can you please fix it for me.

Location fixed.
MGS

Thank you

Index -> A mineralogical trip through the states of USA   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: