We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 09:18

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The Prospectors on The Weather Channel

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2013 21:44    Post subject: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

There is a reality TV series on the Weather Channel called the Prospectors which shows mineral miners trying to get mineral specimens and rough. So far I have seen one episode and it showed the Doris family pulling out a pocket of smoky quartz and amazonite from Lake George, CO and Amanda Adkins and Steve Brancato mining near-surface pegmatite pockets on Mount Antero, CO.

Like seemingly all reality shows, the music and dialogue are overly dramatic because, I guess, the producers think people want drama more than information. But I still found the show interesting.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don Lum

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2013 22:18    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Matt, thank you for sharing that information.

Don

gemlover

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2013 22:56    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

The Southeast Federation of Mineral Societies was contacted to send to all our member societies contact information for the producers. The intent was soliciting people (rockhounds) in SE USA who would be willing to be the subjects. I sure there will be several folk who will volunteer.

John

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2013 02:53    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Thanks Matt

Is some link to see it on streaming TV or similar?

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2013 04:02    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Jordi:

I don't know if the Weather Channel is internationally distributed but if you have cable or dish TV in the US, you get the Weather Channel on your TV. I looked around briefly trying to find some way for people without the Weather Channel to see the series. All I could find is a series of promotional videos on their website:
https://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/prospectors/video/bread-and-butter-pocket-35889
(link normalized by FMF)

These do give one a sense of what the series is like.

arturo shaw

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2013 09:44    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Hi,

It seems that Donovan Sutters will be in another chapter at Rich Fretterds Godsend Claim and Ace In The Hole Claim, Co.

I have requested the two first DVD one week ago but it seems they will reach old Europe swimming....

Cheers!

Arturo

Goldfinger

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2013 09:54    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

I wonder how much the participants are get paid for appearing in this show. I don't get a sense of altruism with some of these people.

trtlman

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2013 15:02    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Tonight on Animal Planet is a new show called Ice Cold Gold where 8 American prospectors look for minerals below Greenlands melted ice sheet.

Don Lum

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2013 22:43    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Thanks Matt

Is some link to see it on streaming TV or similar?

Jordi,

I have watched three episodes of Prospectors. Two episodes were about prospectors hunting for aquamarine on Mount Antero in Colorado. One episode was about the Dorris family hunting for smoky quartz and amazonite on their claim and ended with them hitting an important pocket. Bryan Lees went to look at the find and give them an appraisal.

Also featured were claim jumpers and the dangers of prospecting at high elevations such as lightning strikes and rock slides.

I hope that gives you an idea about the series.

Regards,

Don

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2013 05:47    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Oh boy; I think I will watch "Swamp People" for a bit more education.

Goldfinger

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2013 07:14    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Mark Ost wrote:
Oh boy; I think I will watch "Swamp People" for a bit more education.

And I'm waiting for another prospecting show to debut on the Midget Wrestling Channel.

Gail

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2013 21:45    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

I happen to love the show, it let's people know why the minerals cost money and aren't as easy to find as they think. Also, I know most of the characters on the show, they are all really good people. The Dorris family is featured in my show report showing some of the Amazonite and Smoky Quartz they have found. There isn't much good on t.v. to entice me these days, but having familiar faces on the screen is really cool. I give it a thumbs up!

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 07:03    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

On your recommendation I change my mind and opinion! You must forgive me for being a bit skeptical of TV in general. Just it's past history. I was afraid that there were going to be tornadoes involved! Thanks Gail. I do agree a bit of exposure is good and I do understand the need to dramatize a bit. An hour of watching a fine mineral photographer or painter at work would not do well with the viewing audience.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 07:13    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Hi to everybody!
I saw the videos, they are very interesting! It's a pity I can't see this TV network here in Italy, but in my country as well there are some scientific programmes talking about animals, explorations, history of science, and of course geology, and sometimes mineralogy. Unfortunately for the biggest majority of you the broadcasting is in Italian, but I can assure you they are interesting!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 08:56    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Hi Gail
On further thought (something I don't do enough) I should apologize for inflicting my self confessed TV aversion on you and your friends who doubtless are very fine folks. Since they are aquaintences, I thought I needed to follow on to my last post with this apology to you and them. No one tries to keep an open mind more than I and few fail as often as I. So please accept the apology and extend to them as you think fit. Take care. Mark

Gail

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 09:09    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Oh Mark, no need to apologize! You have every right to wonder at any t.v. production!

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 17:01    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Just wanted to stay on the right side. I have an interesting story about science and the media. National Geographic was making a special on Mexican caves and cave biology. A partner of mine at Old Dominion University was the principle investigator and organizer of the expedition. I don't quite remember the entire story but I do distinctly remember he was ready to strangle the production crew before the expedition was over!

Really though, honestly, as a field geologist, I am just jealous that I am not on a series! But having a face made for radio, I understand TV's reluctance to capture, what to me, is my everyday life, of beautiful women and cheating death at every turn in the field. It would just not be believable unless you were there!!

Gail

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 23:00    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Mark, you are a hoot! Love your rhetoric.

Funny thing, Steve Behling of Collector's Edge and a guest on the Prospectors was just here visiting and left about five minutes ago. We had a grand time talking about the show and what goes on behind the scenes.
Sounds like the real drama is there!
All good fun. Here is Steve visiting some of our minerals...

DSC_0580.jpg
 Description:
Steve Behling
 Viewed:  27396 Time(s)

DSC_0580.jpg

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 16:26    Post subject: Re: The Prospectors on The Weather Channel  

Movie Star material for sure!

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: