We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 08:29

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
How to determine mineral/energy exploration of my land?

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities

View previous topic :: View next topic  

ylekyote

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2015 19:51    Post subject: How to determine mineral/energy exploration of my land?  

I have 109 acres of land in Colorado. 93 of them (53 and 40 acre pieces) have mineral rights attached. The property is not useful for me to live on or sell (at least I haven't been able to sell it to date). Since I can't sell it I'd like to prospect/mine the natural resources on the land if possible. Can anyone here teach me how to do this? Or refer me to any geologists or energy/mineral experts that can help me determine if there is any value in the land regarding minerals and energy?

I have some location maps and GIS data on them I can email if that helps. I've been scouring the internet and there is very little information I can find about how to get this done, that is, since I don't own my own mining or energy company. Kind of frustrating.

Thank you very much!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rei

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2015 05:39    Post subject: Re: How to determine mineral/energy exploration of my land?  

Are you wanting to do this yourself or to hire out a company to do it for you? Are there any minerals that you have reason to suspect might be on your land? Have you asked other landowners in your area whether anyone has ever done any resource evaluation on their land, and if so what were the results?

Where exactly in Colorado is your land?

If you have reason to believe that there might be a specific mineral resource on your land you could look up what indicator minerals are associated with it, collect samples of what you think might be said indicator minerals (or the actual resource itself), and send them in for analysis. I recently sent some samples for analysis not out of financial reasons but pure curiosity - depending on the type of analysis you need it can be as little as 5 euros per sample (although some types of analysis are more complicated and expensive than others). You could even go for a "shot in the dark" approach and just send random samples in to determine their elemental composition if you wanted to.

Do you have exposed bedrock or are you going to have to drill cores?

If you think you found a valuable resource, just look up companies that mine it in your area, send them the lab report that you think proves your land's value, and I'm sure you'll catch their interest.

ylekyote

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2015 09:42    Post subject: Re: How to determine mineral/energy exploration of my land?  

I acquired these lands about 15 years ago. Honestly I have no idea what would be required. Or if I have exposed bedrock (or what bedrock is exactly). I'd prefer to allow a company to do it because they are not close enough to my home to feasibly do myself. I will message you the locations of them that have section-township-range info and county/parcel numbers. Thanks much!

ylekyote

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2015 09:49    Post subject: Re: How to determine mineral/energy exploration of my land?  

Actually the system won't let me PM for 10 days. It is below for anyone that is interested. thx

State County Parcel ID Acreage Other Description (Township-Section-Range)

Colorado Teller 5003.3227200 0.07 L11 B15 VICT

Colorado Teller 1003.311090020 0.165 Reserve Area C Lawrence lying North of Dewey Ave

Colorado Teller 10188.92010010 52.65 33/34-15-70 18892 Binder, My Wandering Boy, Blazing Star, Boston 1 & 2, Clincher

Colorado Teller 3725.253999000 40 25-12-71 NW4SW4 AKA TR 62 Minerals Only

Colorado Park R0012301 8 T15 R75 S04 SE4, Estates of Colorado, Unit 77, Lot 3895

Colorado Park R0008564 5.1 T14 R75 S01 SW4, Estates of Colorado, Unit 52, Lot 2655, Street location: Acoma Road 4017

Colorado Clear Creek R005976 0.322 acre or ~14,026 SF Saint Mary's Subdivision, Lot 430, U-3, BK: 696, PG: 29 319/748 436/405, 406

Colorado Pueblo 46-073-12-135 0.3237 Lot 419, Unit 12, Colorado City

Colorado Pueblo 46-181-14-176 0.248 Lot 1244, Unit 14, Colorado City amended

Colorado Pueblo 46-073-12-110 0.6681 Lot 303, Unit 12, Colorado City

Rei

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2015 10:23    Post subject: Re: How to determine mineral/energy exploration of my land?  

If you're just looking to have someone else do it, have you tried any of these companies?

https://www.manta.com/mb_45_E31F37VC_06/mineral_exploration/colorado
(link normalized by FMF)

I'm sure they could at least point you in the right direction.

It's hard to interpret your description of the lots. So are these scattered all over the state or something? Yeah, that makes it harder to tell you what sort of possibilities you might be looking at ;)

Bedrock means "the solid stuff firmly attached to the crust", as opposed to anything loose and moveable on the surface like dirt, sand, gravel, talus (scree), rocks and boulders, etc. For many (if not most) mineral resources that's what you care about the most because you generally want to follow veins of high concentration, and places where the bedrock has eroded away, these areas of high concentration have been jumbled in with a lot of rock of low concentration. Also if the things of value are collector-quality crystal specimens, for example, they may not survive erosion. On the other hand, certain minerals are concentrated by erosive processes. For example, gold is famously liberated from bedrock by erosion and concentrated in certain sections of streambeds by flowing water. Or acidic waters may leach certain minerals from rock in one place and deposit them elsewhere, leaving the deposit rich in the leached minerals and the source rich in the non-depleted minerals. So it depends on what minerals are in question. Colorado's got a little bit of everything ;)

Then there are some resources you may not even have thought of. For example, do you have any water rights? Is your land well situated for wind power? Is there good grazing forage, with ranches nearby? Things like these have value too.

ylekyote

PostPosted: May 02, 2015 09:59    Post subject: Re: How to determine mineral/energy exploration of my land?  

Hi thanks. They are scattered about some clusters, the land pieces. I will check with that company website you pointed me to. So far I haven't had any luck with getting attention for them. I'll post with any successes. If my kids and I won't use the land to live on, I'd really like to have some value or sale it. Thanks again!

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 03, 2015 16:41    Post subject: Re: How to determine mineral/energy exploration of my land?  

dino wrote:
Dean Misantoni
Exploration and Mining Geologist
BS, MS, CPG #11276
7 1 9 8 3 9 - 5 0 0 8
dmisantoni(at)hotmail(dot)com

I live in Park County,Colorado and have years of experience on the evaluation of mines/properties in Park and Teller counties if you are interested, thanks

ylekyote

PostPosted: May 04, 2015 10:32    Post subject: Re: How to determine mineral/energy exploration of my land?  

Thank you. I'm interested. I will contact you today or tomorrow. If there is a best time to try please let me know.

dino27

PostPosted: May 04, 2015 13:56    Post subject: Re: How to determine mineral/energy exploration of my land?  

after 4pm is fine, thanks

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: