We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 17:13

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Removing matrix using tile saw and air scribe

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

GneissWare

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2015 18:00    Post subject: Removing matrix using tile saw and air scribe  

On another site, people have asked how to reduce the thickness of a specimen without just sawing it flat and leaving hideous saw marks. This is the technique I use to create more natural surfaces, and still remove lots of matrix. It may interest some people here as well.

Note that this is not the final specimen, as it needs more work to expose the garnets better. I usually make a few passes, each removing less material, as I get closer to the crystals I want to preserve. I will post the final specimen at some point, when I finish it.

I did this prep work in about 12 minutes total, from pulling out the saw to the final photo.

0.jpg
 Description:
Before and after photo, showing the rock with cuts made to reduce thickness, and the final results.
 Viewed:  19345 Time(s)

0.jpg

1.jpg
 Description:
Starting to make the kerf cuts.
 Viewed:  19268 Time(s)

1.jpg

2.jpg
 Description:
Kerf cuts completed.
 Viewed:  19299 Time(s)

2.jpg

3.jpg
 Description:
Same kerf cuts from back of specimen.
 Viewed:  19274 Time(s)

3.jpg

4.jpg
 Description:
Specimen before any scribing work started. Using a ME9100 scribe from Paleo Tools in Utah.
 Viewed:  19317 Time(s)

4.jpg

5.jpg
 Description:
Using the scribe, the kerfs are starting to be removed, simply by gently touching tip of scribe to the flat sawn piece.
 Viewed:  19279 Time(s)

5.jpg

6.jpg
 Description:
All the kerfs are now removed, leaving saw marks which will be cleaned up using the scribe to remove excess material.
 Viewed:  19272 Time(s)

6.jpg

7.jpg
 Description:
Many of the saw marks are now removed. If you look carefully, you can still see a few.
 Viewed:  19295 Time(s)

7.jpg

8.jpg
 Description:
All saw marks removed.
 Viewed:  19325 Time(s)

8.jpg

9.jpg
 Description:
Top of the specimen with saw marks removed. You can still see a few scribe marks, which air abrasion will fix. This is good enough for the base of a specimen, if you don't like sawn bases.
 Viewed:  19282 Time(s)

9.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2015 09:16    Post subject: Re: Removing matrix using tile saw and air scribe  

Hi Bob, thank you for sharing this technique. I have used this method often on wood but not rock. The matrix in the pictures looks soft. Will it work as well with something like basalt?

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2015 09:36    Post subject: Re: Removing matrix using tile saw and air scribe  

Hi Pierre,

This is a pretty tough matrix -- tactite from a skarn.

I have used this method on everything, with the hardest being a silicified quartzite-conglomerate, which was very hard and very dense. It takes longer to remove the saw marks with the scribe with really hard material. But, if the material is homogeneous, like quartz, the scribe will often cause the material to shatter leaving a nice natural surface with little effort.

I would expect the sawing of basalt would take longer than the time to scribe the saw marks off. With really tough material, you can also use a screwdriver to knock off the kerfs prior to scribing.

Like most prep techniques, it will be different depending on the material you are processing.

vicen

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2015 03:39    Post subject: Re: Removing matrix using tile saw and air scribe  

Hi.
I use this technique too to help minimising the matrix in our collections.
I would like to point out that it cannot be used in material sensitive to water, as the saw need water/fluid to operate.
Check the material carefully before using the saw as the vibration produced by the saw can break the minerals if there is any small fissure.

242 West Granton Road
Edinburgh EH5 1JA

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2015 09:24    Post subject: Re: Removing matrix using tile saw and air scribe  

Thought it might be interesting to see how this piece evolves...

10 - More matrix removal.jpg
 Description:
Two more passes using the saw to reduce the matrix thickness, and using the scribe to reveal more of the garnets. About 30 minutes total time in prepping this specimen.
 Viewed:  19009 Time(s)

10 - More matrix removal.jpg

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2015 01:19    Post subject: Re: Removing matrix using tile saw and air scribe  

Hi Bob, I am unfamiliar with air scribes and visited internet to see how they work. They are very nifty tools! Thank you for this valuable contribution.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2015 09:39    Post subject: Re: Removing matrix using tile saw and air scribe  

Here is the final specimen after scribing. It still needs some micro abrasion work to remove matrix on the garnet faces that will not easily (or safely) come of with the air scribe.

11 - More garnets exposed.jpg
 Description:
About 3 more times using the saw to remove matrix, and then carefully working on removal of matrix around the garnets using the scribe.
 Viewed:  18847 Time(s)

11 - More garnets exposed.jpg

12 - Before and After.jpg
 Description:
Specimen at beginning of process and after matrix removal. There is about an hour total time in this specimen.

Collectors no longer seem to want representative specimens (like the original). As can be seen with this simple example, to provide specimens that collectors want takes quite an amount of time and equipment to prepare specimens, so it is not surprising that prices are higher now than they were a decade ago. Unless you actually field collected a specimen, the chances are that work like this has been done on your specimens.
 Viewed:  18846 Time(s)

12 - Before and After.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2015 12:22    Post subject: Removing matrix using tile saw and air scribe  

Thought I would post another example showing how to reduce matrix, and also some before and after photos following air abrasion. This is an old specimen of Benitoite and Neptunite that I was asked to trim and clean. It was not well prepared previously, so too much natrolite was removed, and the acid used was to strong, leaving a hackly texture on the natrolite. It was also too thick and heavy.

Before-Front.jpg
 Mineral: Benitoite and Neptunite
 Locality:
California State Gem Mine (Benitoite Gem Mine), San Benito River headwaters area, Santa Rita Peak, New Idria District, San Benito County, California, USA
 Dimensions: 28 cm
 Description:
Face of specimen before work began
 Viewed:  18368 Time(s)

Before-Front.jpg

Side.jpg
 Locality:
California State Gem Mine (Benitoite Gem Mine), San Benito River headwaters area, Santa Rita Peak, New Idria District, San Benito County, California, USA
 Description:
Side of specimen, showing original thickness and final thickness. This was done using a tile saw to create parallel cuts (as seen in the garnet example) and then using an air scribe to make the bottom look more natural.
 Viewed:  18442 Time(s)

Side.jpg

Before-Back.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Back of the specimen before matrix was reduced in thickness.
 Viewed:  18415 Time(s)

Before-Back.jpg

Final-Front.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
After one trip in HCl to try to smooth out the hackly natrolite, some air scribing to remove natrolite and matrix on the face, and air abrasion to remove clays and remove film off of the crystals. The color of the matrix is better, and the benitoites and neptunites are cleaner. It now needs to have the dust washed off, and it is done.
 Viewed:  18349 Time(s)

Final-Front.jpg

Final-Closeup.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Close up of final specimen before washing.
 Viewed:  18355 Time(s)

Final-Closeup.jpg

Before and After1.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Before and after.....
 Viewed:  18387 Time(s)

Before and After1.jpg

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2015 13:01    Post subject: Re: Removing matrix using tile saw and air scribe  

Job well done Bob!

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: