We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)
11 Apr-22:02:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Apr-14:59:55 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
10 Apr-09:05:31 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-08:08:58 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Apr-07:54:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Carles Millan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 17, 2024 22:33

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The Behavior of Navajun Pyrite Cubes

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Casimir Sarisky

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2015 15:43    Post subject: The Behavior of Navajun Pyrite Cubes  

I rather curious about the nature of these Pyrites cubes from the Navajun, La Rioja area. Unlike other crystals these crystals are not tightly packed together on the matrix like other crystal formations I have seen online. Is there a reason why they are more spread apart from each other?

Also since these crystals are not tightly packed together like other formations, why are many single pyrite cubes have some nicks, contacts, or other damage along its edges and corners if it is far apart from any other crystals in the area. Is this the result of the effects of the weather or do these crystals naturally not form completely smooth edges and corners? And does this mean that they are no crystals without any damages whatsoever?

I am a bit interested in these specimens but I definitely do want to learn more about them. Especially since due to the process they often fall from the matrix when being extracted, requiring to be glued back onto the matrix itself.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

yowanni

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2015 01:21    Post subject: Re: The Behavior of Navajun Pyrite Cubes  

Casimir Sarisky wrote:
I rather curious about the nature of these Pyrites cubes from the Navajun, La Rioja area. Unlike other crystals these crystals are not tightly packed together on the matrix like other crystal formations I have seen online. Is there a reason why they are more spread apart from each other?

Also since these crystals are not tightly packed together like other formations, why are many single pyrite cubes have some nicks, contacts, or other damage along its edges and corners if it is far apart from any other crystals in the area. Is this the result of the effects of the weather or do these crystals naturally not form completely smooth edges and corners? And does this mean that they are no crystals without any damages whatsoever?

I am a bit interested in these specimens but I definitely do want to learn more about them. Especially since due to the process they often fall from the matrix when being extracted, requiring to be glued back onto the matrix itself.

Hello Casimir,
In Navajún you can find single crystals or groups.
Most of the crystals are perfect, so damages along its edges and corners could be caused by the extraction process of the samples. And not all the crystals are glued.
I hope this will be useful for understand this mine.
Best regards,
Jonathan

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2015 02:19    Post subject: Re: The Behavior of Navajun Pyrite Cubes  

A very informative website about those pyrites: https://www.piritasdenavajun.com/ (link normalized by FMF) (Available in Spanish AND English)

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2015 13:00    Post subject: Re: The Behavior of Navajun Pyrite Cubes  

First of all, pyrites from Navajún are not magmatic-hydrothermal but sedimentary. This is important to remember.

I guess (just guess) the pyrite crystals there grew prior to the marlstone matrix formation, which is a material rather soft and not very resistant to water. As yowanni well says, all or almost all of the crystals are perfect before being extracted. The damages are made by handling, especially when being separated from the matrix.

The adhesive force between pyrite faces and the matrix is almost non existent, so crystals are readily deattached. But many of the specimens offered for sale have them reattached with an efficient glue at the same place where they originally were. The vendor never hides this fact, but he prefers to say they are stabilized rather than glued.

Fortunately the deposit is far from exhausted, so expect Navajún pyrites in the market for well beyond our lifetime.

2780M-pyrite1.jpg
 Mineral: Pyrite
 Locality:
Ampliación a Victoria Mine, De Alcarama Range, Navajún, Comarca Cervera, La Rioja, Spain
 Dimensions: 95 mm x 78 mm. Main crystal: 52 mm wide, 31 mm on edge. Weight: 512 g
 Description:
Four undamaged cubic pyrite crystals with mirror-like faces intergrown on a matrix of marlstone (some people claim it to actually be limolite). Field collected in spring 2007.
 Viewed:  16538 Time(s)

2780M-pyrite1.jpg

2780M-pyrite.jpg
 Locality:
Ampliación a Victoria Mine, De Alcarama Range, Navajún, Comarca Cervera, La Rioja, Spain
 Dimensions: 95 mm x 78 mm. Main crystal: 52 mm wide, 31 mm on edge. Weight: 512 g
 Description:
Four undamaged cubic pyrite crystals with mirror-like faces intergrown on a matrix of marlstone (some people claim it to actually be limolite). Field collected in spring 2007.
 Viewed:  11640 Time(s)

2780M-pyrite.jpg

Ivan Blanco (PDM)

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2015 14:37    Post subject: Re: The Behavior of Navajun Pyrite Cubes  

...well, I would say that according to the published papers available in the bibliography pyrites from Soria - La Rioja, where the well known deposits of Valdeperillo, Ambas Aguas or Navajún are located, are developed by hydrothermal metamorphism, with temperatures of formation above 200°C. The "purity" or the lack of defects or even the morphology (cube, dodecahedron, or combinations, etc.) are controlled by diferences in temperature of formation (ussualy between 300°C and 375°C) and the supersaturation.

Some papers explaining this are listed bellow. They are available for free via researchgate(.)net:

- Pathways and distances of fluid flow during low-grade metamorphism: evidence from pyrite deposits of the Cameros Basin, Spain (1999). Joumal of Metamorphic Geology 17: 339-348. J. ALONSO-AZCARATE, M. RODAS, S. H. BOTTRELL, R. RAISWELL, F. VELASCO, J. R. MAS.

- Causes of variation in crystal morphology in metamorphogenic pyrite deposits of the Cameros Basin (N Spain). (2001). Geological Journal 36(2):159 - 170. J. ALONSO-AZCÁRATE; M.RODAS; L. FERNÁNDEZ-DíAZ; S.H. BOTTREL; J.R.MAS; S.LÓPEZ-ANDRÉS. via: https://eprints.ucm.es/10586/1/Causes_of_variaton_in_crystal.pdf (link normalized by FMF)

I collect pseudomorphs

Casimir Sarisky

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2015 16:54    Post subject: Re: The Behavior of Navajun Pyrite Cubes  

Thanks for the responses. To be quite honest, I am not familiar with much of the geological terminology used by the links submitted here, so I really cannot understand them to be honest.

Johnathan and Carles, you provided the responses that I can understand myself. It makes sense to me understanding the basics of mining this mineral from the matrix. At first I thought the non-perfect edges and corners were the result of a crystal not completed formed, but I now understand it is the result of miners trying to extract the crystal and its surrounding matrix from the ground.

Carles I must say that Navajun specimen is quite beautiful! I hope to acquire one of my own someday. I am glad the mining area has plenty more specimens to be discovered. :)

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2015 03:18    Post subject: Re: The Behavior of Navajun Pyrite Cubes  

Carles Millan wrote:
First of all, pyrites from Navajún are not magmatic-hydrothermal but sedimentary. This is important to remember.

I really meant the whole deposit was sedimentary, not the single pyrite crystals. I believe marlstone cannot be formed by a hydrothermal process.

Thanks to Ivan Blanco (PDM) for his invaluable contribution.

Another interesting work can be read here in a Google English translation

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ca&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fplatea.pntic.mec.es%2F~fmarti4%2Fpiritas.htm&edit-text

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2015 14:00    Post subject: Re: The Behavior of Navajun Pyrite Cubes  

For those interested on this topic here is a more detailed report plenty of excellent photos

https://www.mcdougallminerals.com/blog/the-pyrite-of-navajun-spain/

I think it is worth to be read.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2015 11:12    Post subject: Re: The Behavior of Navajun Pyrite Cubes  

Thanks for this thread guys...it has stimulated my digging into some of the references and learn about the genesis of Pedro's great pyrites. They are not hydrothermal in the sense of being formed from high temperature fluids associated with a magmatic ore system...which is where the groups of tightly intergrown pyrites we're used to seeing come from. However, although they form in sedimentary rocks and the ingredients to make the pyrite appear to be derived from those sedimentary rocks, they required a more regional metamorphic heating event to flush hot fluids (probably formation waters...water trapped between the sedimentary grains as the muds and sands were laid down) through the rocks and reformulate the iron and sulfur into pyrite. Pyrite is strongly "idiomorphic" meaning it has the ability to form sharp crystals within essentially occupied space...it pushes the surrounding materials away as it grows, allowing perfect crystals to form. I suspect that these formed early in the metamorphic event before the carbonate muds that make marl were fully lithified. Pyrite formed during "diagenesis" (the conversion of sediments to rock) is very common and this looks like a supercharged version of this accelerated and assisted by the metamorphic event which simultaneously heated the formation waters and drove them through the sedimentary section with flow concentrated in the more permeable beds.

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: