We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Mar-00:03:53 Identification question (Jim Wilkinson)
28 Mar-23:16:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 29, 2024 04:58

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
How to find a pocket? - (22)
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Index -> Featured Columns of FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pierre Joubert

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2015 06:55    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Hi Martin, Reinhardt, Don and Peter. Thank you very much for the kind comments. I did also send Jordi a personal thank you for the privilege to post this contribution and the honour to have it featured.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Enrique Llorens

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2015 12:56    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Great post, and good new finds Pierre.

Regards,

Enrique.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2015 01:05    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Enrique Llorens wrote:
Great post, and good new finds Pierre.

Regards,

Enrique.

Hi Enrique. Thank you for your kind comment. There has not been much exciting new finds lately as it is summer here and has been very hot. We are having our first noteable rain in many months at the moment and as cooler weather comes, we hope to be out more often. Best regards.

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2015 09:41    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Hi Pierre,
Following your advice I went to a local beach where there were quartz outcrops, the quartz was milky and clearish in some parts, so I went about following quartz veins and looking in all the funny crevices as you explained and started seeing small crystal faces but nothing exciting after about half an hour of searching in between the rocks I found a large pocket of crystals but they were heavily water worn but this gave me big hope that there must be more decent crystals. I followed a vein a few meters up and found a small whole in the rock, there was small crystals peeking out at me so I put my fingers into this rain water filled whole only to feel a big crystal face, and my first pocket :D I worked to open the pocket and found my main specimen followed by a few smaller ones. I noticed there was red iron staining on some of the crystals and while digging around in the pocket came across an old rusty bolt that must have fallen into the pocket, as such I decided to remove the mayoralty of the iron staining on the crystals using warmed vinegar. I just want to thank you greatly for sharing these wonderful tools with us, its something that will be with me for many years to come. see attached photo's of my find.

DSC_2649.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  24826 Time(s)

DSC_2649.JPG

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2015 09:44    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

view2

DSC_2641.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  24828 Time(s)

DSC_2641.JPG

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2015 09:47    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

same crystal

DSC_2639.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  24815 Time(s)

DSC_2639.JPG

DSC_2646.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  24803 Time(s)

DSC_2646.JPG

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2015 09:52    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

other crystals from the pocket and a scale view of all ( 15cm ruler )

DSC_2647.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  24814 Time(s)

DSC_2647.JPG

DSC_2653.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  24804 Time(s)

DSC_2653.JPG

DSC_2654.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  24835 Time(s)

DSC_2654.JPG

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2015 10:00    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

before cleaning

DSC_2669.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  24838 Time(s)

DSC_2669.JPG

Psax

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2015 10:00    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Gelukwensing Reinhardt! Nice piece!

And all glory to Pierre. :)

Pribram, uranium district, Czech republic

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2015 10:03    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Thanks Psax, yes Pierre did a wonderful job on the article, I'm sure this will help many other rock hounds too :)

Psax wrote:
Gelukwensing Reinhardt! Nice piece!

And all glory to Pierre. :)

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2015 12:47    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Hi Reinhardt. Well done! There must be more and bigger and I am sure the bug has bitten. There is no cure! :-)

Dear Psax, NO glory to me. I often think the crystals have gotten to my brain. I am always looking for the stuff!!! haha

cascaillou

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2015 09:03    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Some more prospecting tips:

-First identify some interesting areas from mineralogical websites featuring locality pages (mindat is a good place to start, but there are also websites which are more country-specific). Of course, if any books have been written about the mineralogy of this region specifically, you will likely find even more informations in those.
-See what minerals have been reported from those places.
-Learn about the genesis conditions of the minerals you're looking for (meaning in what geological context they are known to occur, and also what are the associated minerals). You will find that information in any good mineralogy book or website such as Mindat and handbookofmineralogy . org
-Get a detailed geological map of that area to locate where the geology is adequate for those minerals to occur. Notably, pay attention to contact zones (for instance contact between igneous rocks and carbonate rocks), which are usually interesting to prospect.
-Compare with a map of the area showing relief, access roads and hiking tracks.
-stuff your maps and compass in your rucksack, then go and explore by yourself.

Of course, the reverse thinking is that when you find a given mineral, then you should check the geological map to verify what the geological setting was at the exact place where you had found the mineral, so the map will show you how far and in which directions that setting extends, or if there are other spots with similar geological setting in the area.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2015 10:57    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
cascaillou wrote:
Some more prospecting tips:

-First identify some interesting areas from mineralogical websites featuring locality pages (mindat is a good place to start, but there are also websites which are more country-specific). Of course, if any books have been written about the mineralogy of this region specifically, you will likely find even more informations in those.
-See what minerals have been reported from those places.
-Learn about the genesis conditions of the minerals you're looking for (meaning in what geological context they are known to occur, and also what are the associated minerals). You will find that information in any good mineralogy book or website such as Mindat and handbookofmineralogy . org
-Get a detailed geological map of that area to locate where the geology is adequate for those minerals to occur. Notably, pay attention to contact zones (for instance contact between igneous rocks and carbonate rocks), which are usually interesting to prospect.
-Compare with a map of the area showing relief, access roads and hiking tracks.
-stuff your maps and compass in your rucksack, then go and explore by yourself...

Excellent contribution Cascaillou! Locally, we have a book by Bruce Cairncross 'A field guide to rocks and minerals of Southern Africa'. It is an excellent source of good information to where what is found, as well as operating and defunct mines.

cascaillou

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2015 11:09    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

geological maps are a blessing :-)

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2015 11:23    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Thanks Jordi. I gave up on that one due to the spam filter :-)

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2015 01:15    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Perhaps it's because I'm a micromounter, and perhaps it's because I don't need massive economical minerals to have found something awesome that I feel the way I do, but I do not bother with geological maps anymore, And yes, sure Mindat has Maitlands mines which I loaded the majority of the minerals on but Quartz crystals can be found in the most unusual places. If I was to stick to geological maps and Mindat I would only go to Maitlands and the rest of my area would be considered useless but I am finding it not to be the case. I do think geological maps have their use and can serve as a guide but they are no replacement to going out there and looking for yourself. If I was looking for a pocket I would not go to a geologist, I would go to a local rock hound (like Pierre) because quite often the geologist is the fundi in the theoretical stuff but the rock hound is the fundi in the field. Speaking of which, I found some interesting inclusions in those beach crystals, they are fine hair-like black needles, but I sadly I can not photograph them to show them off.

NellsRocks

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2015 16:44    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

The whole "pocket" thing is amazing to me, a beginner. I first learned about them while watching the TV show "Prospectors". Interesting to see people's photos in this thread! I only wish I knew of someplace in my state that people could access easily, without being on a club field trip....

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2015 03:28    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

NellsRocks wrote:
The whole "pocket" thing is amazing to me, a beginner. I first learned about them while watching the TV show "Prospectors". Interesting to see people's photos in this thread! I only wish I knew of someplace in my state that people could access easily, without being on a club field trip....

Why don't you ask on FMF? Perhaps someone in your area can answer your question.

Alex D.

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2017 21:44    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

As beginner is this an amazing topic to read about, and learn. To me the white veins of quartz are the very basic for a beginner to search for. I'm just wondering what my best chances are.

I can find several rocks with quartz washed out, so should I look for open pockets, or should I try to cut open a white quartz vein? I'm not a person to really destroy a rock, so if I have to cut for a hole, where is the best place to find one in the rock?

I suppose it's not completely on luck you start hitting a 10m³ rock to find a 10 cm³ pocket. maybe where the vertical quartz vein hit a horizontal change in stone color?

thanks

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2017 03:17    Post subject: Re: How to find a pocket? - (22)  

Alex D. wrote:
As beginner is this an amazing topic to read about, and learn. To me the white veins of quartz are the very basic for a beginner to search for. I'm just wondering what my best chances are.

I can find several rocks with quartz washed out, so should I look for open pockets, or should I try to cut open a white quartz vein? I'm not a person to really destroy a rock, so if I have to cut for a hole, where is the best place to find one in the rock?

I suppose it's not completely on luck you start hitting a 10m³ rock to find a 10 cm³ pocket. maybe where the vertical quartz vein hit a horizontal change in stone color?

thanks

Hi Alex. Good for your enthusiasm. I respectfully suggest that you read again carefully what I have written. You will waste your energy breaking white quartz veins without really having good reason to. In that case, I will rather walk another few km till I find something worthwhile lying on the ground. Wishing you all the best with your hunt for treasures:-)

Index -> Featured Columns of FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 3
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: