We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 03:43

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
MIM Visitors' Book
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> MIM Museum (Beirut, Lebanon)

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fiebre Verde

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 06:03    Post subject: MIM Visitors' Book  

Last week I went back to the Beirut MIM museum, a year after my first visit.
I had heard that Salim Eddé had added some significant specimens to his amazingly rich collection. This was enough to convince me to take a 4hr plane ride from Paris to Beirut.

Just like last year, I was greeted by two very attentive and helpful ladies, Suzy Hakimian and Carole Atallah, the museum’s curators.
On my first visit, I thought a bit naively that Salim had already got the crème de la crème of almost all mineral species but it turned out I was wrong after seeing his latest trophies.
Salim is convinced there is always something better or more special out there which he can afford to add to his museum.
Useless to say that my biggest shock was when I discovered the new XXL size emerald crystal he added in the treasures room (see the miserable photo I attached).

I think it is time to start a new topic associated to the MIM Museum hoping that many visitors will enrich it with their comments, impressions and photographs.
So please feel free to add your posts to the MIM visitors’ book if you have the privilege to go and visit this very special place in the future.
The photographs which are regularly posted in the sister topic The MIM Museum in Beirut, Lebanon are remarkable and the comments left by the forum members are laudatory. But the specimens are really much better in person!

Incidentally I also enjoyed the extreme quietness of the museum during my tour as I was the … only visitor!
I know I should not complain about my visit conditions but this is very sad actually – the Lebanese people have probably other priorities than going to museums these days.
If you can’t make the trip to Beirut yourself, please spread the news!
But if you plan to go one day and need some tips on what else to do, what to see, where to stay, I will do my best to help (no, I don’t have any stake in a tourism agency!).

Gérard

PS: Apologies about the very poor quality of the photographs.

Main_Room.JPG
 Description:
_Part of the main display room.
 Viewed:  33051 Time(s)

Main_Room.JPG

Treasures_Room.JPG
 Description:
_Treasures room
 Viewed:  33046 Time(s)

Treasures_Room.JPG

Pakistan_Aqua.JPG
 Description:
_Pakistan Aqua
 Viewed:  32998 Time(s)

Pakistan_Aqua.JPG

Gypsum.JPG
 Description:
_Gypsum
 Viewed:  33055 Time(s)

Gypsum.JPG

Galena.JPG
 Description:
_A special one for Tobi - There are actually 2 Neudorf galena specimens!
 Viewed:  33079 Time(s)

Galena.JPG

Fluorites.JPG
 Description:
_A small sample of the many, many fluorites on display.
 Viewed:  33084 Time(s)

Fluorites.JPG

Fluorite_France.JPG
 Description:
_Fluorite France
 Viewed:  33055 Time(s)

Fluorite_France.JPG

Fluorite_England.JPG
 Description:
_Fluorite England
 Viewed:  33037 Time(s)

Fluorite_England.JPG

Fluorite_Calcite_Pyrite_Peru.JPG
 Description:
_Fluorite, Calcite, Pyrite. Peru
 Viewed:  33037 Time(s)

Fluorite_Calcite_Pyrite_Peru.JPG

Beryls.JPG
 Description:
_Beryls
 Viewed:  33009 Time(s)

Beryls.JPG

Emerald.JPG
 Description:
_This Colombian emerald crystal must weight over 1,000 carats.
Considering its quality, it's a miracle that it escaped the slaughter.
 Viewed:  33048 Time(s)

Emerald.JPG

Fishermen.JPG
 Description:
_Fishermen on the corniche at sunset.
 Viewed:  33029 Time(s)

Fishermen.JPG

House.JPG
 Description:
_A typical old Lebanese-style house in central Beirut.
 Viewed:  33757 Time(s)

House.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 09:02    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Thank you for the photos. This is definitely on my list of things to do.

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 09:08    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Les Presmyk wrote:

You are welcome Les - definitely a good resolution!

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 09:10    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Thanks "Fiebre Verde", very nice initiative...

Les Presmyk wrote:

I strongly recommend it. I went there and believe me I was very impressed (and I have visited many Museums! ;-)

kushmeja

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 09:15    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Thank you for sharing your photos! Hopefully I'll make it out there someday soon... thinking of ways that I can convince my wife that we should go to Beirut for our honeymoon in a few months, but don't think I'll be able to pull that one off!

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 09:27    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

kushmeja wrote:
Thank you for sharing your photos! Hopefully I'll make it out there someday soon... thinking of ways that I can convince my wife that we should go to Beirut for our honeymoon in a few months, but don't think I'll be able to pull that one off!

What some people I know did was go to some more or less touristic country in that hemisphere (Seychelles, Madagascar, Namibia...) and stop in Beirut for several hours to visit the Museum. Beirut has reasonably good connecting flights.

kushmeja

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 09:49    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
kushmeja wrote:

What some people that I know did was go to some more or less touristic country in that hemisphere (Seychelles, Madagascar, Namibia...) and stop in Beirut for several hours to visit the Museum. Beirut has reasonably good connecting flights.

Thanks for the tip Jordi! Thankfully my wife is adventurous as well, and she also enjoys minerals, but not to the obsessive level like most of us!

Seychelles looks beautiful, as do Madagascar and Namibia, so maybe, just maybe, I have a chance of convincing her!

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 09:57    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Fiebre Verde wrote:
A special one for Tobi - There are actually 2 Neudorf galena specimens! (Galena.JPG)

Thank you, Gérard!!! ... And well, of course two, why not?! Just one world-class Neudorf specimen would be so boring in a mineral collection ;-)

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 10:09    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
kushmeja wrote:

What they did some people I know was go to some more or less touristic country in that hemisphere (Seychelles, Madagascar, Namibia...) and do some hours stop in Beirut to visit the Museum. Beirut has reasonably good connecting flights.

Exactly!
Direct flights are reasonably cheap and short from Europe and decisions are easier to take for those who are based in Europe.
As Jordi pointed out, Beirut has good connecting flights to the Middle-East, Asia and Africa. With a bit of careful itinerary planning, the extra cost involved in adding a stopover in Beirut should be reasonable.

Thank you Kushmeja.

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 10:15    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Tobi wrote:
Fiebre Verde wrote:
A special one for Tobi - There are actually 2 Neudorf galena specimens! (Galena.JPG)
Thank you, Gérard!!! ... And well, of course two, why not?! Just one world-class Neudorf specimen would be so boring in a mineral collection ;-)

You're welcome Tobi!
Gives you 2 good reasons to go there :-)

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 11:18    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Fiebre Verde wrote:
Tobi wrote:
Fiebre Verde wrote:
You're welcome Tobi! Gives you 2 good reasons to go there :-)

Not necessarily, the museum of my hometown (4 km away from me) has 3 or 4 of them ;-)

ploum

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2015 15:00    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Hmm, that's very interesting for tested photo behind glass :) (my speciality ;) )

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2015 00:48    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Fiebre Verde wrote:
...Incidentally I also enjoyed the extreme quietness of the museum during my tour as I was the … only visitor!
I know I should not complain about my visit conditions but this is very sad actually – the Lebanese people have probably other priorities than going to museums these days...

Hi Gérard, thank you for taking us with you on this trip. The photos are excellent and the specimens stunning. What a shame that such an outstanding museum sits amongst a people that do not appreciate it.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2015 04:58    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
Fiebre Verde wrote:
...Incidentally I also enjoyed the extreme quietness of the museum during my tour as I was the … only visitor!
I know I should not complain about my visit conditions but this is very sad actually – the Lebanese people have probably other priorities than going to museums these days...

Hi Gérard, thank you for taking us with you on this trip. The photos are excellent and the specimens stunning. What a shame that such an outstanding museum sits amongst a people that do not appreciate it.

My pleasure Pierre! Thanks for your comments.

Lebanon is a small country with a remarkable past.
It’s the land from where the Phoenicians exported their trading culture across the whole Mediterranean.
The remnants of this glorious past can be seen in the National Museum located 200m away from the MIM museum, in central Beirut.
Lebanese are not known for their museum culture, at least not in Lebanon. But this situation might shift in the future thanks to the younger generation’s openness and their inclination to all forms of local culture.

Gérard

PS: On a different note, I realized that I had significantly underestimated the weight of that emerald prism - it does indeed weigh "over 1,000 carats" as initially stated, but the real figure is actually closer to 1,400 carats.
The only largest gem-quality prism I am aware of is the one belonging to the 'Banco de la República de Colombia'. It used to be on display in the Gold Museum in Bogotá.

MIM Museum

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2015 03:14    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Fiebre Verde wrote:
Pierre Joubert wrote:
Fiebre Verde wrote:

Gérard

I wanted to thoroughly thank you for your laudatory account of the MIM museum. I hope we can meet next time you are there to share our passion for rocks!

Shnorhagal-em

Salim

PS: I understand that many people are daunted to come over, and I can perfectly relate to that, Lebanon being in a really doomed place of the world (yet we fare better than most of our neighbors!).
Let me quote my colleague Carole Atallah below:

MIM Museum

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2015 03:29    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Warning: visiting Lebanon is very dangerous, you could develop an addiction to this country!
Addicted to Lebanon? A country with security issues, we hear constantly on the news, about the assassinations, the kidnapping of soldiers, the ongoing war at the northern frontier with the Islamic State, and so on. How could someone even think of traveling to such a country?
That is one side of the story.
The other side of it is about the Lebanese population, their love to their country, their hospitality with foreigners. Their faith in a country where they invest, always looking for ideas to promote it. One example would be the International Festivals that took place in Byblos, Beiteddine, Baalbak, during summer 2014, hosting Yanni, the legendary Greek composer and performer, Epica, the Dutch symphonic metal band, Stromae, the Belgian born singer and songwriter, Joss Stone, the English soul singer-songwriter. And that is a short list of the performing artists at those festivals.
The other side of the story is also about the outings, pubs, bars, and night clubs. At Uruguay Street, a pedestrian street of Downtown Beirut, different generations, from different religious communities, hang out for a drink, while listening to local bands and DJ’s. As for the Sky Bar, White and B018, they host International DJ’s. And yes, you will see people dancing on the tables at those night clubs.
The story is about the good food, the Lebanese mezze, where you can have 20 (and even more) different dishes to share, each one better than the other, a gourmet delight! And never forget to keep some space for the dessert!
The story of Lebanon is also about the ecological trails that different NGO’s have started to implement. It is about the historical buildings, the archaeological sites, and the long history of a country that have traveled through time, and civilizations.
It is the story of contradictions, the story of extremes.
Yes, you are right; you can find all of the above in other countries, safer than Lebanon. Why take the risk and go there? Because it is all about feeling alive, experiencing Lebanon, and getting addicted to it!
At MIM, we have nicknamed one of Salim’s stones (a Baryte) the Blue Cedar. Blue being the color of hope, Cedar, Cedrus Libani, the emblem of Lebanon!

Carole Atallah

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2015 05:02    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

MIM Museum wrote:
Gérard

I wanted to thouroughly thank you for your laudatory account of the MIM museum. I hope we can meet next time you are there to share our passion for rocks!

Shnorhagal-em

Salim

PS: I understand that many people are daunted to come over, and I can perfectly relate to that, Lebanon being in a really doomed place of the world (yet we fare better than most of our neighbors!).
Let me quote my colleague Carole Atallah below:

Sh'norhavorank Salim - The MIM museum is such a special place that this was the least I could do!
I can only second Carole's testimonial - my time was too short and I have barely scratched the surface of the many things a visitor can do and enjoy in this country.
Gérard

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2015 05:59    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

I went to Lebanon some years ago and had a fantastic time. The museum was not open at that time, so I missed it. But the food was wonderful, the people very kind and very helpful. So it was a great trip. So, like Carole says, you could get addicted. I spent time in Beirut (working) then did a day visit to Baalbek, which was wonderful too.

MIM Museum

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2016 04:05    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

On April 8, 2016, the MIM Museum was overcrowded with visitors. The queue at the entrance started to form at 5:00 PM and lasted till 11:00 PM.
In 6 hours’ time, we received 9000 visitors. Yes, it is a huge number for a country as small as Lebanon (10452 Km2)!
For the 3rd year in a row, the Lebanese Ministry of Culture organized an event “A night at the Museums”. 11 museums were participating to that event. The number of visitors is increasing over the years: 2000 in 2014, 4000 in 2015 and 9000 in 2016.
The MIM Museum has launched on that occasion a temporary exhibition “Fish’N’Stone” displaying a collection of fish fossils that belongs to the Abi Saad family ( https://www.memoryoftime.com/home ) found in 3 main Lebanese fossil fields. This exhibition invites people (as the rest of the museum) to an educational and pleasant experience: fossils are animated to tell their story!

8e934c6dc17ab37d85718775ab37222e.jpg
 Description:
Queue at the entrance of the museum
 Viewed:  29993 Time(s)

8e934c6dc17ab37d85718775ab37222e.jpg

57252ebac6b925662c978d4b441f339b.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30012 Time(s)

57252ebac6b925662c978d4b441f339b.jpg

cd6c721362feeef435aa0df494a52c7e.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30005 Time(s)

cd6c721362feeef435aa0df494a52c7e.jpg

ed8881ddc7192db5ae02ec9d489c096a.jpg
 Description:
Visitors in the Atrium
 Viewed:  29968 Time(s)

ed8881ddc7192db5ae02ec9d489c096a.jpg

Photo 08-04-2016, 18 56 43.jpg
 Description:
Visitors in the Atrium
 Viewed:  30006 Time(s)

Photo 08-04-2016, 18 56 43.jpg

Photo 08-04-2016, 18 56 55.jpg
 Description:
Fish fossils
 Viewed:  29983 Time(s)

Photo 08-04-2016, 18 56 55.jpg

Photo 08-04-2016, 19 08 43.jpg
 Description:
Fish fossils animation
 Viewed:  29965 Time(s)

Photo 08-04-2016, 19 08 43.jpg

Photo 08-04-2016, 19 12 46.jpg
 Description:
Fish fossils animation
 Viewed:  29968 Time(s)

Photo 08-04-2016, 19 12 46.jpg

Peter

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2016 04:27    Post subject: Re: MIM Visitors' Book  

Two FANTASTIC Neudorf galena specimens, not just any ;)
One of them would be enough for my collection, to start with :)

There could be 20-30 of them in some old collection, I guess Freiberg would have that in the drawers but I can not say that I have seen any better anywhere else really.

Index -> MIM Museum (Beirut, Lebanon)   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: