We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 04:34

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Gail Spann's write up of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, 2009
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Index -> Mineral Shows by Gail Spann

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gail

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2009 23:04    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, 2009  

Thanks to the people who exhibited for the benefit of all attendees.

John Betts..The Minerals of New York City.

Jeff Collins...Mohawk Minerals, the New

Val Collins..Mohawk Minerals, the Old

Anne Cook...Pseudomorphs

John Ebner...Micromounts.

Jeff Fast...Connecticut gemstones.

Carl Francis ( Harvard ) ...Polymorphs

Bruce Gaber...Mica and Friends

Erich Grundel...First American Minerology

Mike Hawkins ( NYSM )... Tilly Foster Mine Specimens from the Hancock Collection.

Terry Huizing...Mineral Oddities

Donald Lapham...New Acquisitions

Johnathan Levinger...Old Ugly Feldspars from Quebec.

George Loud...Minerals of Magnet Cove, Arkansas

Jim Mann..Making minerals into fine art jewelry.

Frank and Wendy Melanson..Canadian Minerals.

Bob Morgan..Striations

Al Mura...Pyrite from the far east.

Michel Picard ( CMN ) ...Minerals of Highway 5

Darryl Powell...Mineral Autographs and Treasures.

Carolyn Reynard...Feldspar Favorites

Barbara Sky...Miniature Pseudomorphs

Smithsonian Institution...New Acquisitions

George Thompson..Minerals of the Marmoraton Mine.

Woody Thompson...Minerals from Cornwall, England. A Mysterious Old Collection.

Various Participants...Specimens from the Technical Session

John White...Minerals of the Deccan Traps.

Gail

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2009 23:08    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, 2009  

Okay, I believe that's it for my write up for now. I hope you will get the flavour of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium from my photos and notes. I may add a note or two, but I think I can say with relative surety, that I AM DONE.
Best regards to you all.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 01, 2009 03:13    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, 2009  

Gail,

Thanks one more time for you efforts to show us how the shows are!

I sent to you two times emails about minor things, but as for some reason it seems that you don't get them, so I use FMF to communicate with you:

- I already corrected the minor details requested for you (and others) in your text

- I added you as moderator of the forum "Mineral Shows", it means that now you can edit everything you want in all posts of this particular forum.

- How about to split this post in two separate topics? One would be Rochester Symposium and the other topic would be "Visit to Bill Pinch collection".
If OK for you I will do it myself, you don't need to do nothing, just letting me know.

Jordi
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gail

PostPosted: May 01, 2009 07:31    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, 2009  

Jordi, what an honour, thank you!
Yes, it would be fine to seperate the two and I can add more of Bill Pinch's minerals then, didn't want to overwhelm the write up. That would be wonderful, thanks!

I am off to the Houston show today, with Jim. We are driving down and I will be doing a show report on it. Dave Waisman puts this show on, it was the Dallas show for the last two years and has moved to Houston. We are off to a dinner at the Museum of Nature and Science tonight, in the mineral hall.
I hope you don't mind my doing these reports, they seem to have a good following and many people are being directed here to read them that didn't know of your site.

I have no idea why your emails aren't getting through, I check my spam folder many times each day.
Thanks for the opportunity to post on your site Jordi, again...you are wonderful for making this all available to us.
Cheers!

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 01, 2009 08:29    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, 2009  

Done, now all your posts related with Bill Pinch collection are grouped together in this new post: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=582

Please add other photos to this new post and please publish a report about the Houston show. Remember, you are THE force! ;-)

Jordi

Val

PostPosted: May 06, 2009 22:26    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, 2009  

Topaz bowling sounds so barbaric. I thought that I sould explain the background as I remember it from 20 years ago. Late on a Friday evening or most likely an early Saturday morning, the hospitality room going full blast, people standing in the hall, people sitting around on the floor; sets the scene.

Larry Conklin had a very fine Gem Topaz for sale. Russel Benhke was in conversation about the Topaz, one thing led to another ( I wasn't privy to the conversations), Larry I think, agreed on a dare to roll the Topaz down the hall, Russ paying for it. Unbeknown to the hall party, Russel had two large water worn Topaz's. I believe that cans were set up in a tower and Russel went through the motions of bowling the valued gem Topaz for a photo shot, but not releasing it. Russel than, if I recall correctly did a roll of the water worn Topaz. Thus Topaz bowling was brought into the world of RMS.

Many well known collectors and personalities participated in the Topaz Bowling along with my self, my son Jeff 16 at the time, and many others. Much fun was had and soon, after many photo shoots, mischief headed for other things. There may have been a geology student or two that streaked the event, or at some time or another during the night.

Somehow, sitting in the hospitality lounge, the Topaz bowling was brought up, and that it was 20 years ago. One drink/thing led to another and I recovered a damaged Topaz crystal that I had from my room. When I came out into the hall, the cans were set up, by ths same pin setter of 20 years ago, when she was an under-grad Geology student and now a Geology professor. The hall was empty, I tried my shot missing totally, never could bowl well. The crowd returned, two members of the RMS committee tried their turns, with one being the only one to score a strike. Several others participated until we were asked to tone down the noise. Thus the items were collected and donated to the RMS auction to help raise money for future events.

The items were purchased by a Geology professor at the RMS auction. Could that be the notorious pin setter, time may tell at future anniversities.

Carl

PostPosted: May 07, 2009 01:49    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, 2009  

Caught in the act... Topaz Bowling at RMS 2009 of course!

TopazBowlingRMS2009.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17573 Time(s)

TopazBowlingRMS2009.jpg

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 07, 2009 07:28    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, 2009  

What is not mentioned is that these drunken children carried on this "game" until about 2:00 AM Saturday morning, making it virtually impossible for anyone having a room down that corridor to sleep. The bowling was followed by loud conversation outside of the hospitality room until 3:00 AM at which point I went out and put an end to it. Not being able to sleep because I was so angry I began packing my minerals because I had decided to leave the next morning instead of staying through Sunday. To their credit the hotel did not charge me for the room.

Gail

PostPosted: May 07, 2009 07:33    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, 2009  

So that's why they put the speakers on the FIRST floor, so we could get some sleep?!
I was sorry to see you go John.

Index -> Mineral Shows by Gail Spann   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 4 of 4
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

Jump to: