We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 11:17

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Joan R.

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2008 06:13    Post subject: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

In the last issue of The Mineralogical Record (July-August 2008 – Vol. 39 – Nr. 4) on the “Notes from Editors” pages there is a very interesting note about the new financial support to the magazine from different benefactors.
I am co-editor of Mineral Up magazine. We publish two issues per year but in three languages (three different printed magazines): Catalan, Spanish and English. We know quite well what the economic problems are. Our magazine is running thanks to the personal/volunteer (no money) efforts, subscriptions and advertisers. Every year the subscriptors number decreases and printing costs increases. Have some benefactors could be the way to get over the money troubles but I would like to ask, if the benefactors are dealers or great collectors, could the independence of the contents be questioned?

I think that ALL the mineral collectors must give their support to the mineral magazines, contributing with articles, with subscriptions or only buying the magazines, and of course reading them, because the future of the mineral magazines depends on them. But we must down-to-earth, if mineralogists don't give its support to the magazines and the gouvernement can't granted them, magazines must look for these kind of incoming money.

Reply to topic Reply with quote

str4hler

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2008 06:47    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

Let's answer this question a little provocative ;-)
that's good food for a nice positive discussion...

I love paper mineral magazines. I have a lot of subscriptions. About 10? mineral magazines?
But the magazines that I love most, are those that (also) publish their magazines in pdf...

I like to carry information around, with me, on my laptop.
I travel a lot for mineral collecting, and it's handy to have information available fast.
It's not handy to carry multiple kilo's of magazines and books around ;-)

So.... I love to sit under a tree, in the diffuse sun, and read a nice glossy paper mineral magazine with beautiful photographs, and drink a glass of wine at the same time,
but... I also love to have it digital without the hassle of scanning. I don't like scanning, it takes too much time... Scanning eats time from mineral collecting ;-)

So... Why not only publish in pdf and save printing costs?
I have a pdf digital subscription of Rocks&Minerals (etc) and that helps me the best.

Cheers!

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2008 07:41    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

If I may interject?

We have, occasionally, donated money to publications to give them a "boost" to hire photographers, or chronicle certain important events, such as the AT Tucson exhibit.
We feel very strongly about having all forms of historic references.

I would be way behind in my learning curve if not for the complete collection of R&M as well as MinRec and all others. Jim and I devoured them, learned and it helped us in our decisions on buying. We then had a complete set bound and another for use that we don't mind getting dog eared.
One of the first things a new collector is told is to try to get a complete set of as many mineral publications as possible. I have yet to see a collector who doesn't have some form of paper library.

I also like the fact that I can research on my computer, and I can even access this site from my phone! But I am with you, Str4hler, I like to sit with ...well, a hot cup of tea, and read through a back issue and soak it all up in style.
( If I drink wine I will surely nod off and not soak up anything but too much sun! )

I try to get subscriptions to all pertinent publications and feel it is almost a "duty" to pass on down the line to younger novice collectors when my days are done.

It is in all our best interests to support worthy publications and to enjoy both the paper and the PDF versions. Besides, there is no thrill like the thrill of finding one of your pieces in one and being able to physically show it to your family! We have bought subscriptions for family members too...and we like to donate subscriptions at silent auctions. Perhaps they will continue after the subscription runs out?

PS..Jim and I have two subscriptions of MinRec so we don't get frantic while the other reads it. Peace reigns in the Spann household!

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2008 16:34    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

Reading the Gail's text we can understand how important the magazines are, not only when collectors start but also when they already "fly alone".

Then, the important question is try to find a kind of economical support outside the classic donors sources. Probably many people ignore how complicated is the economy of the majority of the magazines. Just to give an example, one of them is partially supported actually by the own money of the editors!

A discussion about this topic could help to understand better the magazine's needs as well as their importance for our knowledge of the mineralogy.

Jordi

Maxxedison

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2008 04:27    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

I don't have much to say, because in Portugal, we don't have mineral's magazine, the only existed "Magazine" in paper is a collection of 80 minerals plus the magazine that repeat every 1,5 year! The good think is the photos of minerals from the magazine, must of them are from "Fabre Minerals"! Where I heard this name before??
The text is good for me, because i'm a beginner, and for the expert's? Only by the Web in .pdf files like str4hler says, or on some web pages like the Mindat and this one!

Ricardo

Brooks

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2008 06:20    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

I have to agree it is great to have copies of magazines in PDF format. That is what I like about Rock & Mineral magazine. Each month the publisher sends me an email letting me know it is online, even before I receive it in the mail. I can pull up and print anything I want from the magazine. It deminishes a little bit the anticipation of what is in it when I get it in the mail, but it is nice to be able to view and save it online. Does anyone know of other mineral magazines that do likewise?

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2008 07:10    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

Bocamina, the magazine from the Madrid Mineral Group, is also available as a PDF. So one can get the printed copy and also use the PDF copy. This has been the case for some time, but the early editions are not available. Clearly this magazine is in Spanish, but even so it is a great resource for Spanish mineral localities

https://www.bocamina.com/esp/ppal.htm
(link normalized by Jordi)

James

str4hler

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2008 12:27    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

The Belgian mineral society MKA also publishes their magazine "Geonieuws" in pdf for registered paying members.

Cheers!

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2008 15:00    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

Joan,
My husband, Jim, went to your site some time ago and tried to subscribe, even putting in our credit card information. we never heard back.
He says that having a website that is up to date and has someone to respond to inquiries would be helpful.
So, turns out we have tried to get your magazine with no results. I just tried to get the site to come up in English to no avail also.
So....what can we do to start to subscribe to your magazine?

str4hler

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2008 08:16    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

A (I think) very nice example of an online magazine...

https://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=hdfrs#/page0/
(link normalized by Jordi)

Joan R.

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2008 18:29    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

Hi Gail and Jim,

I apologize all these problems with the magazine. The magazine is a homemade magazine, yes! homemade! and only few persons work here. We would like to be more efficient.

In this way. To get Mineral Up magazine there are two ways:

- you could buy the magazine (only two issues per year) in Tucson, Denver, NY... mineral shows to our USA distributor Guenther Neumeier from Lithographie LLC

or

- Ask directly Erica Santa Lucía from Lithographie LLC for your subscription in:
P.O. Box 263
East Hampton, CT 06424 USA
phone 860-267-1512
fax 860-267-7225
www.lithographie.org
erica@lithographie.org

If you have any question please do not hesitate to contact me directly to my mail: jrosell@minercat.com

BSRG
Joan

Gail

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2008 18:56    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

Thank you Joan, we will be seeing Guenther in Denver then so will pick up any back issues and then get a subscription.
Very kind of you to let me know.
Gail

Pleione

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2008 13:20    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

Regarding the uncertainty of the future of mineral magazines, does anyone know if there is a problem with the British "Rock & Gem" mag? I sent off a subscription over a month ago but had no response. When I emailed (using the email address on their website) to enquire about the delay the message bounces back saying "bad recipient". I then tried phoning but it is always on an ansaphone and though I have left messages asking them to call me back I have heard nothing. Have they ceased publication??

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2008 04:09    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

Pleione,

I'm not sure what happens with Rock & Gem magazine, but I suggest to you subscribe the UK journal magazine: https://www.ukjmm.co.uk/ which is fine, well done and although not totally on time on its issues very reliable and helpful.

I suggest to you too, as Chris suggested, to be member of some local group of mineralogy or, if you prefer, member of the great Russell Society that covers all UK with different branches: https://www.russellsoc.org/

Jordi

crocoite

PostPosted: May 05, 2009 05:18    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

The Australian and New Zealand Mineral Collector magazine is now available in print and pdf versions, for every issue.

Regards
Steve

JustinZzyzx

PostPosted: May 25, 2009 13:12    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

Making a magazine isn't so hard...

Find the authors, the editors, the photographers and advertisers. Now there is a doozy!

While certainly not aiming for the highest of brows, the magazine I make with my wife, Brandy Naugle, The-Vug Quarterly Magazine, is available for free online via PDF.

Please feel free to google The-Vug Quarterly Magazine, which will take you to the free PDF files.
and download the PDFs to enjoy anywhere!

crocoite

PostPosted: May 25, 2009 19:01    Post subject: Re: The (uncertain) future of the mineral magazines  

Hi Justin

Did the latest copy of the ANZMC get to you ok?

Regards
Steve

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: