We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 05:29

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Just some collection statistics
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2016 10:02    Post subject: Just some collection statistics  

We have a lot of collectors who present their treasures with a lot of effort on the collection section of FMF ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewforum.php?f=22 ), I would like to know some basic facts about all the wonderful collections we see here. I'm glad that there are many views and appreciating comments on my own thread ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=551 ), but in fact I have only a small collection, I often sell many minor specimens to purchase a few good ones, and I have only one display where I present my collection. I know there are many collectors who own thousands of specimens and who rather have a private mineral museum than an ordinary collection stored in a cabinet. I'd like to know how many specimens the other collectors here have on display, how many different mineral species are there, and from how many different countries do they come?

My own statistics, only counting my display collection, not counting minor specimens in boxes and drawers that are for sale:

Mineral specimens on display: 140
Number of mineral species: 46
Number of countries of origin: 30
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2016 13:19    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

In January when I packed down my collection I had:
973 specimens in display cases (highest number of specimens, i.e. additional ones are not fitting in display cases but are stored in drawers and boxes.
52 countries (I may have forgotten one or two, just counted in my head)
211 species (most number of species are in drawers)

Peter

crocoite

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2016 03:08    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

A quick count in my cabinets - about 150 specimens. When I include those in drawers and boxes, there are specimens from at least 94 countries, and upwards of 1,750 species...

Steve
Mineral Collector and Artist

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 08, 2016 04:56    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Only 3 of over 9000 registred users want to share some data? ;)

Josele

PostPosted: May 08, 2016 06:17    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

My math teacher always said that, although the data are correct, statistics are made to not be believed.

Debbie Woolf

PostPosted: May 08, 2016 06:32    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Sorry Tobi :)

On display over 600
Species don't know
Countries 7

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 08, 2016 07:42    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

I have a room dedicated to display of my minerals and several shelves in my office room.

On display: about 1000 specimens (rest are boxed up in my prep room)

States/countries: 90% Indiana of which 90% are geodes or segments (many viewable on the Mindat geode thread).
Several minor sub collections, otherwise many earlier foreign examples are currently being sold off.

Mineral species: Indiana about 25. Minor sub collections about 25.

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 08, 2016 10:33    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Halo Tobi,

I only have one display with 75 specimens. They come from 20 different countries. The number of obvious species is 50 (probably more as most of them have sulfides/sulfosalts). All the specimens have at least 2 species, most of them much more.

Christophe

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 08, 2016 10:36    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Well, the reports are limited to those of us who do have a good enough catalog of our collections to be able to provide a good count! It's always my goal, but not yet achieved--probably, will have to seriously wait until I retire when there will be "more time"--in my case, only a few more years down the line, so, within sight--at least the time for it, if not the actual doing. Cheers to all my fellow collectors, especially to those who have their collections very well in order!

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: May 08, 2016 16:16    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Here we go

Mineral specimens in the Collection: 1,032
Mineral specimens on display: 177
Number of mineral species: 151
Number of countries of origin: 1 (Mexico)

And maybe 200 others from Peru (catalogued but not the "real collection")

Cheers

Jean

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2017 16:10    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Tobi,
I'm glad that I decided to catalog everything in a database long ago. If I had waited the task would have been much too daunting. Anyway, here are answers to your questions. A good exercise - I have never looked at these statistics before!

# specimens in the collection: 3,120
# of specimens on display: 51
# of species represented: 408
# of countries of origin: 73

One note: Even though I only have 51 specimens on display, I do change them from time to time. More importantly, I put together a display of minerals in our public library about 4-5 times each year. I use minerals from my collection to develop a theme and try to make it educational, not just a case of pretty rocks.

Michael

TripleRoyale

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2017 16:52    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

First time poster, and relatively new collector here :)

I have 50 currently on display, but the number frequently changes as I am still an excited new buyer. 49 on a shelf and 1 in my room next to the record player.

I am interested to ask: what kind of software do people like to use to manage their collection database, should they have one?

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2017 19:32    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

This actually is an interesting thread and a lot more can be done with it. For example, just looking over this past week's collection postings, I see that about 10 collectors have added mineral pictures from their collections without ever responding to this thread. Hmmmmm....
How many of us collectors field collect vs buy or both?
How many focus their collection.....any kind of focusing.....vs just collecting (buying) anything in their price range that looks aesthetically pleasing and colorful?
How many collectors actually know something about where their specimens come from or have been to these sites?
How many have display cases or shelves in their home vs putting the specimens in boxes, maybe to be rarely seen again?
Or how many display their examples at shows, museums or other venues where the public might view them?

I have elected to put most of my pictured examples in the Indiana portion of a "Mineralogical Trip Thru The States of The USA" rather than picturing them in a "Bob Harman Collection". Why are other mineral examples from the USA put into the collector's thread rather than being put into their respective states? Is this a conscious decision?

Tobi has touched on an interesting aspect of our hobby that some of us would like to explore in more depth. BOB

rweaver

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2017 21:10    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

My answer with your questions. Been collecting since 1968.

How many of us collectors field collect vs buy or both? Over the years both with of most the collecting being done in San Diego County,

How many focus their collection.....any kind of focusing.....vs just collecting (buying) anything in their price range that looks aesthetically pleasing and colorful? My current collection is minerals from all 50 States with over 200 of them from Arizona, a large San Diego County collection, along with T/N's since that is what my mom collected and I have just added to it over the years.

How many collectors actually know something about where their specimens come from or have been to these sites? I have and enjoy learning about the locations, keep all old labels and add what data I can to my collection database.

How many have display cases or shelves in their home vs putting the specimens in boxes, maybe to be rarely seen again? I have a room in my house with built in display cases so most of the collection is out where I can see it.

Or how many display their examples at shows, museums or other venues where the public might view them? There was a time that I showed in Southern California but anymore there are no real shows around me to show at. I live in the middle of no where. I also have them on a personal web site so that the general public can look at them.

Like you, I have placed a lot of my US minerals in the "Mineralogical Trip Thru The States of The USA" rather than picturing them in a "Bob Weaver Collection".

Robert Seitz

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2017 21:26    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Response to Bob Harman musings.
1. The FMF photos section with queries gives same result as putting in the state or country threads. I put under my collection for this reason. Why place into the threads, e.g., state? No one continues to discuss one approach vs. the other. I look at all new postings on this forum.
2. Field collect vs. buy or both. I do both. However, the quality of what I can buy especially with ready access to Tucson presents two different worlds. Even working in mines for 40 years I have rarely collected specimens that would compare with the ones I've bought. Mine geologists were there first and that says it all. This has increasingly been the case as time has progressed. Yet it remains fun to look in the field.
3. The associations and locations are interesting. I am purging most single crystal specimens as I prefer to have associations, even when the associated minerals may not be as aesthetically pleasing.
4. Display - Most of my collection is displayed in house. I have recently sorted out (for several reasons) approx. 1/3 of the collection and am thinking of disposing rather than putting in boxes for indeterminate storage time.
5. I focus on copper, lead, zinc minerals and associated 'gangue' minerals. Is this appropriate description for fluorite and calcite? All this was part of sorting as well.

Regards,
Bob

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2017 12:37    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Hello,
What about my collection:

In the catalog are 182 minerals, all are on display in one cabinet, but there are 20 that I had as a child, and not worth showing here.
All but one, were bought (the many that I have collected myself were discarded a long time ago).

69 mineral species.

Main focus: fluorite, quartz, zeolites, pyrite, hematite, sulfides
I buy at 3 to 4 shows each year and on the internet.
I have collected since 1974.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2017 12:41    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Bob Harman wrote:
How many of us collectors field collect vs buy or both?
How many focus their collection.....any kind of focusing.....vs just collecting (buying) anything in their price range that looks aesthetically pleasing and colorful?
How many collectors actually know something about where their specimens come from or have been to these sites?
How many have display cases or shelves in their home vs putting the specimens in boxes, maybe to be rarely seen again?
Or how many display their examples at shows, museums or other venues where the public might view them?

Tobi has touched on an interesting aspect of our hobby that some of us would like to explore in more depth. BOB
Thanks Bob, I'm glad to see that this topic gets many responses now. To answer your interesting questions which are indeed more detailed than my intention on this thread:

1. How many of us collectors field collect vs buy or both?
- All of my display specimens are bought, my own finds are rather humble and stored in boxes. And it's long ago that I went collecting :(
2. How many focus their collection.....any kind of focusing.....vs just collecting (buying) anything in their price range that looks aesthetically pleasing and colorful?
- Difficult to answer: I have several focuses (certain minerals like fluorite, quartz or galena, also minerals from Germany). But though I have knowledge about minerals, I must confess, yes I often DO prefer stuff "in my price range that looks aesthetically pleasing and colorful". And why not, having an interest in aesthetic minerals is not an inferior motive to collect. I'm not ashamed to be a "barbaric" collector (I know many collectors consider you like that when you just collect what you like). Nevertheless, I developed an interest in certain aspects of minerals or mining history :-)
3. How many collectors actually know something about where their specimens come from or have been to these sites?
- I have visited some minor localities in Germany.
4. How many have display cases or shelves in their home vs putting the specimens in boxes, maybe to be rarely seen again?
- I have only a few specimens in boxes and most of them on display. It's an illuminated showcase in the living room (~ 140 specimens) and I enjoy it every single day. Once a specimen lands in a box, I will sell or trade it for others.
5. Or how many display their examples at shows, museums or other venues where the public might view them?
- I once had the honour of displaying my collection in the museum of my hometown several years ago. But that's 7 years ago and my collection was far away from the quality level it has today.

Tobi

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2017 14:34    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

I have 991 specimens in my catalog but some are yet to be added and some are 'For Sale' so say a round 1000
About 95 are on display (I have not counted them)
3 countries account for 95% of the collection (another 25 countries have one or two specimens)
112 species

259 Fluorite specimens, as they are a bit of a focus
Never done a show (except to sell)
Almost everything is in cases or draws
Some self collected, but not many of the ones on display were

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2017 04:22    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Sorry for the delay. I don't know what I was thinking about.

- 389 specimens cataloged in my collection right now
- 117 species

- 242 on display
- 61 in drawers
(about 76 of them, either on display or in drawers, are marked to trade or sell when I find a chance)
- 86 in my subcollection of Catalonia (rather low quality, but interesting for local collectors)

- Out of collection there are over 50 additional pieces to give away to children or some people who visit me. Not world class specimens!

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2017 04:27    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

TripleRoyale wrote:
I am interested to ask: what kind of software do people like to use to manage their collection database, should they have one?

I'm using a self-made piece of software that I'm proud to share for free with a few thousand collectors all over the world.

You can get more info and download it at https://carlesmillan.cat/min/

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: