We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 18, 2024 21:54

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Just some collection statistics
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2017 10:06    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Answers to Bob Harman's questions.

1. Field collect vs. buy or both? As a young collector starting out in the early 1960s, nearly everything in my collection was field collected. Currently, opportunities to field collect are very limited due to where we live. My collection contains 77 specimens that I personally collected, 181 that were acquired through trades, 26 gifts, and the remainder purchased.
2. How many focus their collection ? I have focused on several sub-collections over the years. The Southern Illinois Fluorspar District, Romania, and Dal'negorsk continue to be major areas of focus. I also have sub-collections of pseudomorphs and gypsum.
3. How many collectors actually know something about where their specimens come from or have been to these sites? I love to visit (and photograph when possible) any mineral localities, and have been to many of the localities represented in my collection.
4. How many have display cases or shelves in their home vs putting the specimens in boxes? Part of my collection is displayed in a lighted cabinet. The remainder is in drawers and labeled flats.
5. How many display their examples at shows, museums or other venues where the public might view them? I have entered both competitive and non-competitive exhibits at local and regional shows. Also, minerals from my collection are displayed in an exhibit at our public library. I change the exhibit 4-5 times each year.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2017 12:57    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Some more statistics on my collection:
- Collected - 17%
- Swapped - 2%
- Gifts - 14%
- Bought - 67%

I have visited many of the localities, and in fact tend to collect from localities I know. 67% of the collection is from Spain and I have visited 90% of the localities in Spain.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2017 13:00    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Carles Millan wrote:
TripleRoyale wrote:
I am interested to ask: what kind of software do people like to use to manage their collection database, should they have one?
I'm using a self-made piece of software that I'm proud to share for free with a few thousand collectors all over the world. You can get more info and download it at https://carlesmillan.cat/min/

I can highly recommend Carles' mineral collection software!

(... And no, he neither paid nor forced me to make this promotion ;-))

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2017 09:42    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Some additional statistics, just for fun. My display collection consists of (counting the main species on each specimen):

22 % fluorite
17 % quartz
13 % galena
7 % calcite
5 % tourmaline
5 % pyromorphite
4 % garnet
4 % sphalerite
4 % fluorapatite
3 % beryl
16 % other minerals (less than 3 % from each species)

Interesting for me to observe: Some years ago wulfenite would have been in the list (but I discarded some minor specimens and kept only three really good ones), but sphalerite would not have appeared (a fellow collector started my interest in that sulfide mineral just one year ago).

The countries of origin are:

28 % Germany
10 % USA
8 % China
5 % Pakistan
5 % Brazil
4 % Kazakhstan
4 % England
4 % Mexico
3 % Namibia
3 % Russia
3 % Peru
3 % Switzerland
20 % other countries (less than 3% from each one)

Also an interesting observation: Some years ago there was much more stuff from Namibia in my collection, it would have ranked somewhere between Germany and China, but I discarded many minor specimens and just kept a few good ones. The same with Morocco which does not appear at all in the list, but some years ago it would have been as important as Pakistan or Brazil in my collection (1 out of 20 specimens from the country).

Someone else who has such nerdy facts to present? ;-)

texasdigger

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2017 12:09    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Carles Millan wrote:
TripleRoyale wrote:
I am interested to ask: what kind of software do people like to use to manage their collection database, should they have one?

I'm using a self-made piece of software that I'm proud to share for free with a few thousand collectors all over the world.

You can get more info and download it at https://carlesmillan.cat/min/

Excellent work Sir. I've been looking for a nice digital way to compile and this is just what I need. Thank you for your generosity!

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2017 14:58    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

texasdigger wrote:
Carles Millan wrote:
TripleRoyale wrote:
I'm using a self-made piece of software that I'm proud to share for free with a few thousand collectors all over the world. You can get more info and download it at https://carlesmillan.cat/min/
Excellent work Sir. I've been looking for a nice digital way to compile and this is just what I need. Thank you for your generosity!

You're welcome!

TripleRoyale

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2017 00:10    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Carles Millan wrote:
TripleRoyale wrote:

I'm using a self-made piece of software that I'm proud to share for free with a few thousand collectors all over the world.

You can get more info and download it at https://carlesmillan.cat/min/

Thanks! I'll have to get my disc for Windows out of storage to install this and try it out, but it sounds like it'll be everything I need!

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2017 04:13    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

To install it on your Mac or Linux based machine please read Q&A #2 at https://carlesmillan.cat/min/faqs.php

clarkymk

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2017 11:21    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Carles Millan wrote:
To install it on your Mac or Linux based machine please read Q&A #2 at https://carlesmillan.cat/min/faqs.php

Thankyou for making the software. I installed it in January and it's been brilliant.

The only thing that isn't working is the images folder. after I installed it, I moved it onto my desktop and I think that desynchronised it from the software. I asked my IT teacher at school to see if he could fix it but after 10 minutes of fiddling around with the folders he couldn't fix it either. we tried reinstalling the software but it retained the information and the problem from before.
is there anything I can do to fix it?

thankyou for reading, sorry to bother you.

-matthew

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2017 11:53    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

clarkymk wrote:
The only thing that isn't working is the images folder. after I installed it, I moved it onto my desktop and I think that desynchronised it from the software. I asked my IT teacher at school to see if he could fix it but after 10 minutes of fiddling around with the folders he couldn't fix it either. we tried reinstalling the software but it retained the information and the problem from before. is there anything I can do to fix it?

Open the Utilities > Preferences menu and fill the Images box with the appropriate folder. That's all.

If you need more help just send me a private message to not distort this topic.

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2017 16:01    Post subject: Re: Just some collection statistics  

Hello,

"Well, the reports are limited to those of us who have a good enough catalog of our collections to be able to provide a good count! It's always my goal ... " said Pete Modreski.
I add that I have been retired since a long time and that my catalog will never be finished. Rather than dreaming about integral, I prefer today the differential.
I admire my minerals, but also especially those of the big shows, I shoot them and I describe them. Writing is my intellectual therapy. This is my message to younger generations of scientists.
Sainte Marie-aux-Mines has been a pleasure every year since 1969, but it is the Muenchen Mineralientage that have attracted me most since 1977 almost every year (33 times).
A lovely show was that of Bad Ems in Rheinland, Germany. I keep some pretty memories of which such a beautiful azurite from Tsumeb.
My first purchase is "ein quarz mit rutil (Brazil)" in Idar-Oberstein in 1966, but I did not see that the end faces were re-polished. However, it is still in my showcase.
Roger.

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: