We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 08:06

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Wulfenite gift from Sr. Alfonso Miranda

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ed Huskinson

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2009 17:19    Post subject: Wulfenite gift from Sr. Alfonso Miranda  

We're "zonies", off to San Diego for vacation. They call Arizonans who escape the summer heat by flocking to the area "Zonies". We have T-shirts and everything....

Here's a photo of a rock so this will get past Jordi's scrutiny.

The specimen was given to me by Sr. Alphonso Miranda, the guy who originally discovered and mined the wulfenite at the "San Francisco Mine" (which is actually the name of the claim). He sold it by the railroad carload for it's lead content. At the railroad station as the material was being loaded, Jose Kovrig recognized the specimen potential of the wulfenite, and took a lease on the mine. This specimen came from an area high in the vein system, above the big glory hole that was developed there. It was collected by Alphonso personally. His gift of it to me is a testimony to our friendship. It is noteworthy not only for the story, but also for the associated quartz crystals. I treasure it, and am proud to share it here in the Forum.

More later,

Ed

Alf's PbMoO4.JPG
 Description:
Wulfenite (not a "wulfie"), a wulfenite, from Cerro Prieto, Cucurpe, Sonora, Mexico. 54 mm wide, and the wulfenite crystal is 11mm wide.
 Viewed:  11980 Time(s)

Alf's PbMoO4.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2009 10:45    Post subject: Re: Wulfenite gift from Sr. Alfonso Miranda  

Ed
Thanks for sharing the story of this lovely wulfenite on quartz.
Sorry I missed you when I was in Kingman in April.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tony L. Potucek

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2009 14:56    Post subject: Re: Wulfenite gift from Sr. Alfonso Miranda  

Hi, Ed,
You're not kidding--that specimen is from the near surface portion of the mine. Wulfenite on crystallized quartz xls is very unusual from there. Over the years that I was involved on the wulfenite collecting projects (1975-1994), I compiled a collection of about 50 pieces, which are all keyed into the underground maps that I prepared during that time. Don't get over-excited yet--not all of the pieces are top shelf. I collected them as a geologist and as a collector. There are different styles and associations. But a geologically minded hombre like yourself would probably enjoy seeing them sometime, with the maps, so head east, young man. Good tequila awaits....

Although I visited the stopes open to the surface on Cerro Prieto, I did not map them because the owner/leasor interest was collectable wulfenite in large quantity. Specimens like yours were pretty rare in the veins up high, albeit present in localized small areas. Coupled with the economic factor of those employing my services and the overpowering fumes from the bat guano in many stope areas, I didnt get to spend as much time in them as I would have liked. One of the more memorable times that I remember from mapping and sampling the main 1080 level was walking down a dead-end crosscut, with an ever increasing number of bats flying and actually bouncing off me, and then the light from my head lamp illuminating a pure white cockroach amidst a moving mass of other cockroaches. When the stench finally drove me to turn around, I was still shedding cockroaches off my pants and socks all the way out of the mine. I found one still in my shirt pocket outside the mine. He was happy to find some new territory without so much competition, I'm sure!

Salud, Amigo,
tlp

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: