We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 16:27

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Erionite and cancer

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2017 05:14    Post subject: Erionite and cancer  

Is this a mineral for us to worry about? A member of the zeolite group and it seems to cause mesothelioma cancer.

https://www.aiha.org/publications-and-resources/TheSynergist/AIHANews/Pages/Is-Erionite-the-New-Asbestos.aspx
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2017 05:44    Post subject: Re: Erionite and cancer  

Mesothelioma caused by inhalation of asbestos fibers occurred in workers only after prolonged inhalation of the "right" type and size of the fibers. Smoking enhanced the risk in those folks at risk. Asbestiform mineral specimens can be handled safely by collectors without risk.
Not knowing much about the current mineral you mentioned, I would, never-the-less, think the same situation be present. It is a fibrous mineral and prolonged inhalation of its fibers would seem necessary to cause pulmonary, and other, diseases, BOB

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2017 07:39    Post subject: Re: Erionite and cancer  

My training is in Environmental Science and Toxicology. Asbestos and 'asbestos-like' minerals are safe to collect if you use reasonable measures in handling them. Don't break up/off the fibers, don't handle them more than necessary, don't let fibers from them get on anything but paper you will throw away after folding, AND DO wash your hands after handling them. I have Absestos in my collection and keep it in a plastic bag [ziplock]. The fibers are only dangerous if they get in your lungs and while a large amount are usually necessary to cause cancer - for SOME types [right kind/right size fibers] - as little as ONE FIBER in the lung can theoretically cause cancer...so exercise reasonable caution! One can consult the OSHA standards for exposure to get an idea of relative risk - but treat almost all fine fibrous [asbestosform] minerals with great respect!! - more so if you or anyone in your house smoke.
The individual fibers are invisible and can move in the air if the mineral is crushed, brushed, disturbed greatly, or there is fast moving air [air gun] - so do handle with care and as little as possible. Of course, don't let children or others handle them outside of a plastic bag, if at all.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2017 11:13    Post subject: Re: Erionite and cancer  

Hi to everybody!
Asbestos, as well as radioactive minerals, are dangerous just if you handle them for a long time without any protection. I keep my asbestos specimens in a plastic film and my radioactive minerals in a closet. The result is I have had those minerals for over 40 years and I'm still well and healthy. Then we all should ask ourselves: asbestos and radioactive minerals have been existing for many million years. How about cancer occurrence in localities close to these mines, for example Val Malenco, Autun, Wolfach etc.? For what I know the occurrence isn't worse than in many other places, including big cities where many of us usually live!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2017 11:27    Post subject: Re: Erionite and cancer  

Minerals are best enjoyed OUTSIDE the human body. Don't snort them or eat them. Pretty much the same advice I'd give about your garden soil. And for those who are fearful, there's no reason to fear your minerals any more than your garden soil.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2017 16:21    Post subject: Re: Erionite and cancer  

Being an MD Pathologist, now retired, I took some time to review some asbestos findings and read up on the carcinogenicity of the mineral ERIONITE. In the laboratory, I had worked with a couple of asbestos victims over my years in practice.
As most of you know, ASBESTOS is a group of fibrous silicate minerals. There are a number of different mineral forms present. It has many useful properties and has been used for many industrial applications for many years. One notable use is fireproof insulation, especially on warships. Starting after about 1950 it was noted that there was a statistically significant increase in several diseases in workers who had breathed in certain kinds and sizes of asbestos fibers over long time periods. Shipyard workers who had sprayed fibrous asbestos as a fire retardant was one group affected. Over many years a hi percentage of these workers developed an inflammation of the pleura, the lining of the lungs. This progressed to fibrous tissue which severely restricted breathing and eventually death which became known as asbestosis. Under the microscope, with proper lighting, asbestos fibers were readily visible. Some of these also developed lung cancer and a very statistically significant number developed the rare cancer, mesothelioma, also known as malignant mesothelial sarcoma. Not only was the lung mesothelium affected, but peritoneal (abdominal) mesothelium could be affected.

Anyway, further studies showed a strong relationship between chronic inhalation of the fibers and disease. Those workers who also smoked were even at further risk. Quarry workers mining the asbestos minerals showed a not so great association of their jobs and the diseases, but in some studies, there was a mild excess present. Several studies showed non quarry folks living down-wind from the quarries either had no excess incidence of asbestos related diseases or a slight excess, but no really strong relationship had been found. By now, we all probably know of the class action lawsuits against the asbestos industry and companies using the mined products.

As to ERIONITE, it is a group of related fibrous zeolite minerals. Other than also being fibrous, it is not really related to asbestos minerals. It is a known carcinogen also causing lung cancer and pleural and peritoneal mesothelioma. As noted in the above article, this has recently been studied in several villages in the Anatolia region of Turkey where there is a highly statistically significant excess of cases when compared to Turkish villages elsewhere. The folks in the affected villages use locally mined erionite in the building of their homes.
In the US, erionite is found out West in Arizona, Nevada, Oregon and Utah. It has been found in the road dust in Nevada. Several studies are underway in North Dakota and SE Montana to look more closely at erionite's carcinogenic potential in those areas of zeolite mining operations.

As already mentioned, handle these, and all, minerals, gently and only when necessary. There should be no problems with commonsense occasional handling. BOB

cascaillou

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2017 11:42    Post subject: Re: Erionite and cancer  

Here's an article about minerals toxicity:

https://www.mindat.org/mesg-62-338876.html

Safety precautions for handling asbestiform minerals are included.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: