We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 11:26

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2017 06:11    Post subject: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

I'm trying to find out where the Duke of Devonshire Emerald is currently displayed? Various articles online state it's in Chatsworth House (UK) or the Smithsonian in Washington D.C but I can't find confirmation of this.

If anyone knows for certain, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fiebre Verde

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2017 06:21    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Used to be on display in the Vault gallery of the National History Museum in London.
Gérard

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2017 06:52    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Thanks for your reply Gérard, I've been there recently and seen the item being displayed but have since read it's not the original but a replica! I don't remember reading that on the card underneath and also tried taking a photo but couldn't get a decent shot because it's in a completely dark cabinet and with soft illumination.

I'm sure had it been a copy I wouldn't have tried to take a photo! Maybe I'll have to go back and look again!

Thanks again.

Laurence

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2017 07:36    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Stone Mania wrote:
Thanks for your reply Gérard, I've been there recently and seen the item being displayed but have since read it's not the original but a replica! I don't remember reading that on the card underneath and also tried taking a photo but couldn't get a decent shot because it's in a completely dark cabinet and with soft illumination.

I'm sure had it been a copy I wouldn't have tried to take a photo! Maybe I'll have to go back and look again!

Thanks again.

Laurence

Hi Laurence
Was about the make the same comment - saw the specimen in display in the NHM and the explanation card doesn't suggest it might be a replica.
Actually it never occurred to me it could be a replica - it looks as real as a real fine Colombian emerald of this size!
Lighting was not perfect - I attached the best photo I could make during my last visit.
Despite the poor lighting conditions, it was noticeable that the crystal was heavily included and had this deep green tone commonly found in Muzo.
Gérard

Devonshire_60x50mm_1384cts_NHM_London_f.JPG
 Mineral: Beryl (variety emerald)
 Locality:
Muzo mining district, Western Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 60x50mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  21430 Time(s)

Devonshire_60x50mm_1384cts_NHM_London_f.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2017 09:02    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

The DUKE of DEVONSHIRE EMERALD is a very large hi quality stone (see below) with a long and storied history. The stone's exact quality is a matter of some discussion. While most knowledgeable experts regard it of being "high quality", there are several gemmologosts and others who think the stone's quality may be overrated or not nearly so high. The stone's statistics along with its long and storied history, including those historical folks associated with its history, can easily be found in online discussions and websites.

Finding out exactly where the true stone currently resides may purposely be difficult to ascertain. In and about 2007 it was in the NHM in London. Whether the true stone or an exact replica was on display, only a few folks know for sure. They purposely kept it that way as a hi tech concerted effort to steal it (along with other important jewels) always was in the back of the minds of museum officials and security.
According to one gemological website, more recently, the stone may be in a vault in the Chatsworth House, but again officials and security keep much of this info close to their chests so to speak. The general public should be satisfied to see the "stone" and not really be overly interested whether they are looking at the real thing or an exact replica. Many important jewels and stones in many museums are represented by exact replicas while the true examples are kept in very secure vaults. Part of this philosophy might be based on costs. Both the actual display case might need to be much more secure and expensive and insurance costs might be less if the true stones were to be held in vaults rather than in display cases. BOB

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2017 09:37    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Great photo! It's better than the one I took :-(

duke_of_devonshire_emerald_a.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  21376 Time(s)

duke_of_devonshire_emerald_a.jpg

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2017 09:47    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Thanks for the info Bob,

My reason for wanting to know whether it was the actual stone or not is because I was writing a short blurb about it on my website and like to make articles that I write as factual as possible and always double and treble check information that i come across online before using it. The internet is so full of inaccurate information that's been (plagiarized) copied and reproduced and in many cases, the details are either completely incorrect or are just not accurate.

So many of the subjects/minerals that I research to write about show up on Google on retail websites and I hate to say this because my website is an online shop, but most of what you find on sites like that has just been copied time and time and time again. I like to write original content and slightly more unique articles which is why I was trying to find out if the Duke of Devonshire Emerald that I saw was the original and if not, where the original is.

Best regards,

Laurence

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2017 11:15    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

19 entries are returned when looking for "Alan Hart" using the FMF search box.
Maybe some of the FMF members are close enough with the (ex?) curator of Mineralogy at the NHM to seek some clarifications over the Devonshire specimen.

Gérard

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2017 12:46    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Mike Rumsey, the current NHM minerals curator assures me that the emerald on display is the real thing...on long term loan from the Duke of Devonshire

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2017 05:46    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

WOW!!!! Thank you both SO much for finding this information out, I'm really chuffed and hugely appreciative.

I think it's time for me to start using this forum more when doing research instead of sifting through loads of inaccurate and misleading information online trying to establish facts from fiction.

One reference that I came across was in a book called Gemstones & Their Origins published in 1990 and you'll see below what the author P.C. Keller says about the Devonshire Emerald and why I was questioning whether the exhibit in the NHM was real or not.

The article in the Glossary section of my website is only short but detail and accuracy is something I take huge pride in.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Best wishes,

Laurence

Duke_of_Devonshire_Emerald.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  21171 Time(s)

Duke_of_Devonshire_Emerald.jpg

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2017 07:55    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

if you are chasing giant emeralds... don't overlook the Sultan s emeralds at Topkapi in Istanbul...

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2017 08:25    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

I shall certainly bear that in mind when I come to update the main article on my site relating to emeralds.

Many thanks.

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2017 08:29    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Peter Megaw wrote:
if you are chasing giant emeralds... don't overlook the Sultan s emeralds at Topkapi in Istanbul...

Topkapi Palace is indeed a must-visit place.

But also
1) Bogota (Gold Museum for the giant crystals and Banco de la Republica for the famous 'La Lechuga' ostensory)
2) The National Jewelry Treasury, home of the imperial crown jewels of Persia (For those who can make it to Teheran).

Gérard

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2017 08:38    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Peter Megaw wrote:

Or the couple from the MIM Museum: The MIM Museum in Beirut, Lebanon.
This one: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/download.php?id=69945 and this other one: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/download.php?id=60217

Beryl (variety emerald) - Colombia.jpg
 Mineral: Beryl (variety emerald)
 Locality:
Colombia
 Description:
Over 1000 carats.

Photo: Fiebre Verde in http://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=47021#47021
 Viewed:  21121 Time(s)

Beryl (variety emerald) - Colombia.jpg

Treasures Room in the MIM Museum.jpg
 Description:
The Treasures room of the MIM Museum, Beirut, Lebanon, where these large emeralds are displayed.

Photo: Fiebre Verde in http://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=47021#47021
 Viewed:  21306 Time(s)

Treasures Room in the MIM Museum.jpg

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2017 08:41    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Stone Mania wrote:
"I think it's time for me to start using this forum more when doing research instead of sifting through loads of inaccurate and misleading information online trying to establish facts from fiction."

The width and depth of the knowledge, skill and experience on this site is matchless. JSW and PM as examples.

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2017 08:44    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

... needless to say the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C. ranks pretty high on the emerald aficionados' list (The Gachalá crystal, the Hooker brooch, several necklaces with giant stones...)

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2017 11:59    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Been there a good few times, one of my favourite places to go when I'm in D.C especially in the Winter when it's freeeeezing outside!

The emeralds in the photos that Jordi posted are just incredible!

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2017 12:08    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Like going to the Houston museum for the air conditioning!
and to see the NAEM emerald crystal...one of the best from anywhere!

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2017 12:24    Post subject: Re: Duke of Devonshire Emerald Currently Displayed  

Peter Megaw wrote:
Like going to the Houston museum for the air conditioning!
and to see the NAEM emerald crystal...one of the best from anywhere!

As far as I know, that's the largest emerald crystal on public display.
A true killer - definitely not a wax model!

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: