We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 07:38

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Historical Information About Sodalite

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2017 06:34    Post subject: Historical Information About Sodalite  

I'm writing an article on sodalite for inclusion in my website and I'm looking for original material about sodalite, I'm not interested in the recent history like the Prince and Princess of Wales' visit to Canada in 1901, I'm looking for information relating to it being used thousands of years ago in South America. I'm not sure if this is even factual but I have seen a couple of very short postings which indicate it may be.

If anyone can give me any information or direct me to literature where I may be able to find this information out, I'd be hugely grateful.

During my research I did however discover that the Princess of Wales (subsequently Queen Mary) gave her husband (future King George V) a sodalite letter opener and she also had two vases made to order from sodalite as well. These items are currently in the royal collection here in the UK and are both really quite beautiful.

Thanks for reading and if you can help with any information, It would really help me out.

Many thanks.

sodalite_letter_opener.jpg
 Mineral: Sodalite
 Locality:
Canada
 Description:
I'm not able to add a direct link to the Royal Collection website where these pieces are featured but if you follow the links on the Sodalite information page of my website, you'll be able to see more photos and further information on both items. Stone Mania. Apologies if I've posted anything that's in breach of the rules of the forum, please delete if necessary.
 Viewed:  28861 Time(s)

sodalite_letter_opener.jpg

sodalite_urns.jpg
 Mineral: Sodalite
 Locality:
Canada
 Description:
 Viewed:  28742 Time(s)

sodalite_urns.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2017 07:30    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

Sadly, I suspect we cannot help. We are interested in crystallized specimens, not polished stones. That said, you may get a useful response from a member of the forum.

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2017 08:55    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

Hi James,

Yup, I realise this forum is primarily for rough minerals, I use it often for my research but there's some pretty knowledgeable folks on here so I thought it was worth a go.

I have in the mean time managed to find a reference with some of the information I'm looking for so I'm no longer as desperate but let's see if anyone comes up with anything.

Thanks again.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2017 09:58    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

Try searching in Spanish for "Collar Precolombiano de Sodalita"

https://www.jstor.org/stable/275455?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2017 10:20    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

If you go to the lithographie.org website and look for their Bolivia issue, you will find an article about the pre-Colombian sodalite mine in Bolivia.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2017 10:45    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

Hi to everybody!
If you contact any gemmological institute, I think you will be provided publications about sodalite used for ornamental material, and for any other stone used the same way.
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2017 16:04    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

Thank you so much guys, i knew i'd get some leads in here 😀👍🏻

kakov

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2017 03:39    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

Hi, it might be peripherical info only in the given context, but from the point of view of history of mineralogy there are many juicy details. The first scientific description of the mineral was not made on the commonly known blue version, rather on a green-gray variant, that is abundant at its type locality on south Greenland. By the way this material is strongly fluorescent under UV light.
In the Spanish version of the FMF you have this string about the type locality:
https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8678
In case you are interested in further details in this direction let me know, and I will post here a bit more.
Good luck with your research and writing, seems very interesting! Please share with us some of your outcome when ready. The cultural aspects of minerals does interest many of us.

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2017 04:25    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

Hey,

Thanks so much for this information! There's already a huge amount of material online about minerals that's repeated over and over again so I do try and write stuff that's slightly more unique which is why I like digging for facts that aren't always readily available!

I have a big interest in the history of minerals and take a lot of stuff from writings of ancient Greek and Roman authors like Theophrastus and Pliny.

Thanks again for helping out and I'll follow up the leads you've mentioned. Unfortunately the thread in the Spanish forum is all in Spanish, unsurprisingly, but I don't speak Spanish.

Regards,

Laurence

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2017 07:44    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

Stone Mania wrote:
...Unfortunately the thread in the Spanish forum is all in Spanish, unsurprisingly, but I don't speak Spanish...

In the upper left of each page of the Spanish Forum (and here) you have a translation button.

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2017 08:33    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

Ahhhhhh, thanks, being a typical man I didn't use my eyes! That's very good to know!! :-)

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2017 13:54    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

A friend of mine now owns the pre-Colombian sodalite mine in Bolivia, which was rediscovered and reopened about 80 years ago. A skeleton of a dead miner found inside an ancient tunnel seems to be a teenage girl.

Nowadays the tourists at some mines in Bolivia are told that women cannot go underground because the indigenous miners are superstitious about women in mines, but that is really a superstition brought over by the Catholic conquistadors from Spain, not an original indian belief.

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2017 15:00    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

That's quite a story!!

kakov

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2017 03:23    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite - Ilímaussaq  

Hi again, the type locality and the original (scientific) discovery of sodalite is exciting, although this is a topic of which you will find very little information on the “standard” info sources of Internet. If you are interested, probably this is an excellent text (I have not read it but I know the author, he is a Danish mineralogist with special interest in alkaline intrusions):

“Sodalite—a mineralogical chameleon” by Henrik Friis
Geology Today, Volume 27, Issue 5 September/October 2011 Pages 194–198

Abstract: "Sodalite is not one of the minerals geologists come across everyday and will, by many, be considered rather exotic. However, sodalite is a mineral which forms in some of the largest alkaline complexes in the world, and it also has optical properties that have attracted the attention of material scientists. Furthermore, the initial discovery and subsequent description of sodalite involves some very interesting people, as well as one of the major wars in Europe."

A small final comment: If directly or indirectly you can use in your work any of the inspiration received in our forum, in this string or other, it would be appreciated if you make a mention of FMF. This is a nonprofit forum, everybody works for free purely of love for the subject matters, but we would like the forum to be credited intellectually. Thanks!

Stone Mania

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2017 04:41    Post subject: Re: Historical Information About Sodalite  

Thanks for the additional info on Sodalite, I've written my article now but the information I received here was a great help.

Thanks and regards,

Laurence

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: