We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 18, 2024 22:48

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Breakfast With Minerals - Podcast Discussion - Episode 01
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Index -> Blue Cap Productions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

rweaver

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 19, 2018 11:09    Post subject: Re: Breakfast With Minerals - Podcast Discussion - Episode 01  

My thought on Jordi's post. I spent the time years ago to put my collection up on a personal website and still maintain it today. I add new minerals to the collection when I get them. I know over the years when ever the schools in the US are doing State reports I get lot of questions about minerals and where they come from. My collection is nothing fancy but it is what I like to collect, so maybe if more of the older collectors would do the same it would help keep the hobby moving forward.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: May 19, 2018 11:54    Post subject: Re: Breakfast With Minerals - Podcast Discussion - Episode 01  

While personal website with one's minerals is a fine idea, I don't see much difference between that and, for example, this website...where there are threads that are various person's collections. Maybe someone needs to invent a 'mineral app'. ;-/. Has it really gotten so bad that many young people now don't even acknowledge the real world - only the cybersphere? Is hiking in the mountains down too? Boating? Swimming? I think the de-emphasis on basic science education hasn't helped [understatement]. Even the trend in colleges and universities to NOT take courses outside of your 'major' [once the standard - now the exception] means few not specifically in the sciences/geosiences will get any exposure to chemistry, crystallography, or geology. Sad. I think there are 'hooks' to get people interested, but it is different for different people. For some it might be meteorites and then the minerals in meteorites and that they exist here on Earth too...and with some re-arrangement of some atoms you can get other crystals and minerals...and hey look at all these exciting minerals that make up your smartphone's components, etc. As a child [and yes, most of us here seem to be well past our childhoods], I used to love to go to natural history museums and the first area I always went to was the minerals...and then the dinosaurs. Don't young people go to museums anymore? Then we have to bring the museums to them via the internet!

Peter

PostPosted: May 19, 2018 16:03    Post subject: Re: Breakfast With Minerals - Podcast Discussion - Episode 01  

Great idea Jordi.
I love the young collectors filming Bryan has done previously but we need that same of very young collectors to 2-7 year olds can also collect. Now that is filming of the real deal.
And of course all kinds of games, digital, puzzles, with mineral, geology, gem connection.

Min Craft could need some additional real crystals to dig out.
Peter

Turbo

PostPosted: May 19, 2018 21:50    Post subject: Re: Breakfast With Minerals - Podcast Discussion - Episode 01  

The first episode was really good. As a young collector, I can recall all the things that got me into minerals. A lot of those things that seeded my interest are no longer present, or disappearing such as science shops, toy stores that have stones, rock shops, and high school mineral collections. I remember my school had a couple of mineral cases for the longest time and then by the time I graduated, they were gone. At the same time there are so many new ways young folks can become exposed to minerals. I was hit by two waves, all the classic forms of exposure to science as a child, and then by college, it was the online mineral dealers, my University's museum, and forums like this. I cannot stress more how instrumental the internet has been in helping me learn about minerals quickly. Between FMF, mindat, the huge library of photos shared on tumblr, flikr, pinterest, Instagram, and reddit, there are so many ways young folks can get exposed to collecting today. Lately my favorite resource has been Facebook groups. I have started several of my own, the most successful being "Calcite Collectors" where I have been able to network with many people who share my interest both dealers and collectors. It's really cool to see folks documenting their finds in the field, sharing things they picked up at shows, or photos they have taken at shows. I can confirm from my interactions in this realm that there are plenty of young field collectors and dealers eager to trade and sell. Just in the past couple of months, I've bought and traded with at least four young field collectors keeping old localities alive and one establishing a new one. I think the community is alive and well, it has just changed in the way people come together and distribute information.

Dave Waisman

PostPosted: May 20, 2018 17:30    Post subject: Re: Breakfast With Minerals - Podcast Discussion - Episode 01  

Turbo:
I enjoyed reading your comments and was very glad to see you describe all the ways in which you were exposed to mineral collecting. Those avenues of entry into our hobby are terrific! In many ways they have replaced the rock shops, the digging sites no longer accessible and the disappearing school displays.
The groups you formed on Facebook sounded great! One of the most rewarding aspects of this hobby to me is getting to know and becoming friends with many of the collectors. Do you have real-time get-togethers at shows with the members of your internet groups? You're probably way ahead of me on this, but perhaps it would be a great way to bring people face to face at a show.

Turbo

PostPosted: May 20, 2018 17:57    Post subject: Re: Breakfast With Minerals - Podcast Discussion - Episode 01  

Dave Waisman wrote:
Turbo:
I enjoyed reading your comments and was very glad to see you describe all the ways in which you were exposed to mineral collecting. Those avenues of entry into our hobby are terrific! In many ways they have replaced the rock shops, the digging sites no longer accessible and the disappearing school displays.
The groups you formed on Facebook sounded great! One of the most rewarding aspects of this hobby to me is getting to know and becoming friends with many of the collectors. Do you have real-time get-togethers at shows with the members of your internet groups? You're probably way ahead of me on this, but perhaps it would be a great way to bring people face to face at a show.

I get together at my local club's show every year and do a case. I have met some of the folks in my group at shows, but have not yet organized any meetings for the group. I think once I get a sufficient number of group members who regularly go to Tucson, it could be worth doing a meet up or touring a show together.

Index -> Blue Cap Productions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 3 of 3
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

Jump to: