We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 16:29

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The evolution of -> Women's Private Collections & Collection Photos

Index -> Comments & Suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2009 17:10    Post subject: The evolution of -> Women's Private Collections & Collection Photos  

Some time ago were created in FMF two sections called "Women's Private Collections" and "Collection Photos" which invited all members of FMF to exhibit images of the specimens of their collections. These initiatives has generated a number of messages and a huge amount of visits.

Until recently, the private collections were something personal and quite unknown, and with this kind of initiatives them have become public and them were visited by a large number of people. In my opinion this is a very important change, so I would like to gather comments on the topic. Positive ¿? ¿not? why ...?

Jordi

nurbo

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Re: The evolution of -> Women's Private Collections & Collection Photos  

Hi Jordi,
I think the collections threads are a stroke of genius, they reveal the passion FMF members have for their collections. I cant think there is anywhere else where you could see such a variety of specimens catering for every taste. Im sure these threads enhance the overall popularity of mineral collecting and break down barriers between the "High end" collectors and the, Im not sure what the phrase is, "Not high end" collectors. . Any chance of a Jordi Fabre collection thread?
db
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gail

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2009 17:52    Post subject: Re: The evolution of -> Women's Private Collections & Collection Photos  

I think it makes people more "approachable" by having shown minerals it creates a more personal touch. I know that on the Women's mineral collections that some women were more willing to show when they saw others doing so.
I have also had great dialogue with other collectors, men and women, due to showing photos on your site Jordi.
And, I agree, it evens out the misconceptions and levels the playing field, after all...it is about the love of the minerals that binds us all together.

I dislike the barriers that some people insist on erecting. I prefer to NOT play by those rules. I appreciate everyone who has posted their photos on here.

I will also add that I like that people are taking more time to actually photograph their minerals now that they have a place to show them! Cheers Y'all. ( Oh, try as I might that word, Y'all, will never really be a regular part of my vocabulary! )

mraffordable

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2009 18:57    Post subject: Re: The evolution of -> Women's Private Collections & Collection Photos  

I am in agreement with the posts, so far. It's a great idea to invite photos of collections. We are all proud of what we have and many need a place to show off a bit. I certainly enjoy viewing the pics. My collection is not a real collection. I only safeguard some very powerful specimens for a time until someone buys them from me.
I wish there were a place here for those of us that would like to obtain specimens for resale. I know that this forum does not want to commercialize the hobby but I know I have wished to contact other members, privately, to talk business. Maybe some other time

Gail, the word Y'all should not be in anyones vocabulary. Don't feel bad about not using it.

Tracy

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2009 19:32    Post subject: Re: The evolution of -> Women's Private Collections & Collection Photos  

Expanding a bit on Gail's comment that it adds a personal touch: to me, one of the biggest benefits of the collector threads is that they give the viewers a sense of the presenter's tastes, preferences, and level of expertise. The more people who add their collection photos to the thread, the more likely that one viewer will see a collection of someone else that resonates with their own tastes and preferences. This creates opportunities to build friendships and/or mentoring situations. These frienships might be between people from other countries who would otherwise never have a chance to meet. I like how everybody is welcomed and encouraged. On a personal note, it is quite rewarding to realize that so many people have looked at my pictures, and that they often like at least some of them - and tell me so, in public or in private. Makes me eager to post more, I haven't had time to put up selections for quite some time (and I got some neat new pieces)...I wish other people could start their own threads and receive the same rewards as I have. Please let's not stop sharing.

And agree totally that it breaks down barriers. Everybody is treated equally. I've chatted happily with nice people whom I never met, not knowing that they are a well-respected collector with a fantastic collection. And yet they take time to talk to a novice like me...and hopefully enjoy it as well...

So, Jordi, will you share with us some of your own collection? Please? :-)

- Tracy

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2009 04:42    Post subject: Re: The evolution of -> Women's Private Collections & Collection Photos  

I will step in here for Jordi as he may find it difficult to respond to the suggestions that he display pphotos of minerals in his collection on the Forum. I do not know his policy in ths regard, but very few mineral dealers are willing to let their customers or potential customers see what they have in their personal collections, for very obvious reasons. People who have bought minerals from them might be offended if they see that the dealer has kept for himself specimens that are much better than what they have been able to buy from him. I do not know if Jordi even has a collection but I can understand completely if he does not want to share what he has with FMF members.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2009 05:05    Post subject: Re: The evolution of -> Women's Private Collections & Collection Photos  

Although is true what John say about the usual dealers policy, this is not my case because I collect specimens only from Spain, Portugal, Morocco and East of France and all my customers from these countries they know it from long, long time, and (luckily for me ;-) they accept it. In fact, in 2010 in the Rock & Minerals magazine will be published an article about my collection with several images, so then my collection will be public.

The reason why I don't publish images of my specimens here is really simple: currently I have not time to do it!.

My plan is work slower in 2017, when I have 60 years, so I suppose have much more time available then. My collection is quite large and it will be a big effort to photograph them and publish them, so please wait until 2017 and then we will be share and enjoy together my very dear (for me ;-) collection!

Jordi

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2009 05:29    Post subject: Re: The evolution of -> Women's Private Collections & Collection Photos  

Hi!

I must confess I visited personally Jordi Fabre's collection several months ago and all I can say it's really exquisite. Not an usual collection.

So be patient all of you and wait for the year 2017 to arrive. Time flies...

Peter

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2009 05:45    Post subject: Re: The evolution of -> Women's Private Collections & Collection Photos  

Hi John and everyone
I personally have no problem if a dealer, collector or whoever it may be, have 1000 better specimens of a specie from a locality. If I like a particular specimen for whatever reason, and have the means I get it because I find it interesting, cool or whatever. This all comes down to the nature of each human individual.
I know some collectors who start oozing even of a thought that a dealer would have kept a specimen, which MIGHT be "better". Some specimens are certainly better than others but we also have our personal taste.
One year at the Munchen show one dealer asked me to come to the special display and have a look together with him. His favourite of the entire exhibit was a very common specie, poorly developed, without any special features, except of an unusually ugly grey color. I also have some real ugly minerals but interesting, special, rare....

That was the piece of the entire exhibit which HE would want. Now, I may add that I would probably not consider many specimens in his collection.

Index -> Comments & Suggestions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: