We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 02:56

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2017
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Enrique Llorens

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2017 06:04    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
In https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=55402#55402 Enrique Llorens wrote:
Jordi, apart from new "shows" and car parks, there are interesting minerals in Tucson this year ??????...

In https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=55922#55922 Woody Thompson wrote:
...it is frustrating to see so many photos of unidentified people and specimens.

I agree. All fixed, please see: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=55916#55916

Great news for me to read these comments because it takes a lot of time take the photos, process the photos, make a choice on photos of others, delete with Photoshop the dates in the photos when them appear, publish them, search for the right names, don't do typos or mistakes on these names and even publish good photos of minerals to satisfy everybody. So, as unfortunately in general I do not have much time available, from now I will publish the posts I really like to publish and, as usual, I will try to do it in the best, proper way I can.

Thanks to everybody.

I'm sorry you were disturbed by my comment, it was not my intention, I just wanted to see minerals.
After writing, I thought: if I should be grateful that Jordi created the Forum, but I did not write it, so it's better late than never. Thanks Jordi.
Greetings. Enrique.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2017 07:20    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

As others have now clarified, my comment about unidentified people in the photos (and mineral specimens as well) was not directed at anyone in particular. Just a general observation, over the past several years, that this has been the case with the post-Tucson Show pictures.
Thanks for fixing it up for this year. BOB

Chris Rayburn

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2017 07:38    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

Just chiming in to say that I GREATLY appreciate the time and effort that all contributors put into these show reports. I'm sure I speak for many out here on the cyber sidelines. They give me a sense of connection to the shows and to the mineral community, even when I'm unable to attend. Many thanks to Jordi, Gail, John (intentional or not!), and all others who contribute to the reports.

Robert Seitz

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2017 12:10    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

I can honestly say that all my pictures were labeled and definitely were not from high-end shows. While I visit those shows for the specimens, the other shows meet my budget with good specimens. Further the quality at the 'peripheral' shows for run-of-mine people is often nothing to laugh at even in comparison to high end.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2017 15:08    Post subject: Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea  

Before the final conclusions a slight miscellany of images taken by Jordi Deusedes during the Show

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (1).jpg
 Description:
A classic image of the TCC-InnSuites Hotel
 Viewed:  26008 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (1).jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (2).jpg
 Description:
In the Shows along the Interstate 10 (I-10) that runs roughly north-south along the west edge of downtown Tucson you can find a lot of diversified material, from a good mineral to an esoteric banality as you can see here...
 Viewed:  25997 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (2).jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (3).jpg
 Description:
...here...
 Viewed:  25984 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (3).jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (4).jpg
 Description:
...here...
 Viewed:  25980 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (4).jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (5).jpg
 Description:
...here...
 Viewed:  25967 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (5).jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (6).jpg
 Description:
...here...
 Viewed:  25994 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (6).jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (7).jpg
 Description:
...here...
 Viewed:  25994 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (7).jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (8).jpg
 Description:
...here...
 Viewed:  26022 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (8).jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (9).jpg
 Description:
...and here
 Viewed:  26027 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (9).jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (10).jpg
 Description:
The Westward Look Show...
 Viewed:  26033 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (10).jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (11).jpg
 Description:
...with their amazing specimens like this large Grossular with Quartz from Tongbei, Fujian, China
 Viewed:  26040 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (11).jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (12).jpg
 Description:
Jesse Fisher and Joan Kureczka delighting with its music to the visitors of the TCC-InnSuites
 Viewed:  26007 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Miscelanea (12).jpg

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2017 01:31    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

Hi Jordi. Thank you for the photos. On the last few photos in particular, I see lots of mineral specimens but very few people. Is that because it was late during the show? Was business good for the average dealer?

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Robert Seitz

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2017 11:49    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

I saw very few people at any of the shows at opening times and for a time thereafter in the mornings. As an early riser and collector this was great for me to look and discuss. Not so much though for the dealers.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2017 16:07    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

Others may have a different opinion, but of the dealers and visitors that I spoke with (and I was not there this year), all said attendance was again down this year. A Tucson trend of the past few years. Perhaps the attendance decline is related to the aging collector base along with continuing uptrend in prices. BOB

bob kerr

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2017 16:41    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
Hi Jordi. Thank you for the photos. On the last few photos in particular, I see lots of mineral specimens but very few people. Is that because it was late during the show? Was business good for the average dealer?

I’ve talked with dozens of dealers towards the end of the Tucson Show and – with only a few exceptions - they all had below average to poor shows (sales wise anyway). The few who did seemed to be handling mostly dealer support material. I heard lots of thoughts as to why:

- There’s really nothing new (no excitement) – probably about 3 years in a row now
- What is new is immediately scarfed up by the big league dealers – at the mine mouth and when old collections come on the market
- Way too many medium grade pieces have top end prices
- Show costs and motel charges are way too high (example: for the HTCC, a dealer could easily pay $10-$15K for the room, show fee, cabinet rental, lights, licenses, shipping (to and from), travel, meals and on and on. He has to essentially give away his first $10-$15K in minerals before breaking even – not including the dealer cost of the minerals themselves.)
- The strong US dollar makes travel from overseas too expensive – international crowds were WAY done
- The show is way too long, costly and demanding
And, of course:
- Trump and/or Obama

Some other anecdotal thoughts without comment:
- During the TGMS club show, I prepared a flat of nice material to give away to kids who stop by my booth – I gave away exactly one piece. At the Flagg Show I gave away quite a few more but – in spite of my “Free to Kids” sign – I had to run after some kids to give them something.
- I belong to two Clubs and the average age of members is north of 70.
- I deal in medium to upper middle grade pieces and it has become extremely difficult to buy pieces – even at wholesale (whatever that means) – that I can markup reasonably and sell in this lifetime.
I worry about the future of the hobby that I love – but maybe we’ve just been spoiled so much over the last 20+ years (the so-called “Golden Age of Minerals”) that a “bump in the road” like that we’re seeing now is a shock.

I hope it’s a bump.
bob

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2017 18:26    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

I have talked about this subject on numerous occasions and to numerous collectors and I echo BOB K's thoughts.

General collecting today is not nearly as popular with younger people as it was in the 1950s and 1960s. Back then younger kids virtually all collected something.....stamps, coins, rocks, baseball cards etc etc etc.....something. Well coins in the USA went by the wayside in 1965 when silver coins were eliminated; no more looking for older stuff. Stamps went by the wayside about the same time when all the newer generation peel off types came into common usage and rock collecting went by the wayside when vast numbers of walk in sites became extinct due to urban sprawl and other sites closed down to collectors of all ages due to liability concerns. Youngsters starting off with field collecting is a shadow of its former self. Today many field collecting sites are either extinct or commercial operations under claim and using heavy equipment. Also sports and social media has usurped youngsters time away from their parents' hobbies.
The bottom line today is that there are fewer young collectors; more collectors are older, commonly turning to it in middle age or close to retirement. Many of these collectors tend to have financial resources (buying from middle range and higher end dealers) while the less affluent collectors simply lose interest after looking at the higher prices and poor quality of their lower end examples.

Then as BOB K noted the costs of collecting and dealing are way up from years ago. Looking at flat after flat after flat of much material on today's market is not pretty. Unlike stamps and coins where you collect to fill a specific space, there is a nearly endless supply of middle range rocks of many types; far more than the whole collector community can absorb. Who can really set a fair price for this stuff. For many folks a $25 price is now $250 at the larger shows; only set so the dealer can attempt to financially break even while the customers cannot afford those prices for middling quality specimens.

I could go on and on, talking about mineral collecting related periodicals seeing declines in paid circulation etc etc etc. In my opinion all this needs lengthy discussion, but surprising numbers of collectors and dealers just blow it off, putting their heads in the sand, but the future is coming closer. Who knows what all this will be like in 10 - 20 years?? BOB

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2017 02:21    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

Bob H said: 'Also sports and social media has usurped youngsters time away from their parents' hobbies.'

I am often surprised at how many adults have no hobbies (except perhaps TV), but a worrying trend is the youth of today that have become 'usurped' by the social media (smart phone).

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2017 19:01    Post subject: Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos  

Here are some old photos from Tucson 2017. Just got around to posting them with Jordi’s great cooperation. The last one was posted before but it fits this group so well that I thought to post it again.

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos.JPG
 Description:
Lapis lazuli obelisk
 Viewed:  25188 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos.JPG

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (1).JPG
 Description:
Pair of obelisks with a fantastic slice through an amethyst geode from Brazil in the distance.
 Viewed:  25214 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (1).JPG

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (2).JPG
 Description:
amethyst geodes, dinosaur skull and fossil fish
 Viewed:  25188 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (2).JPG

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (3).JPG
 Description:
Very large calcite crystals on amethyst, Brazil. Sorry about the color of the amethyst.
 Viewed:  25189 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (3).JPG

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (4).JPG
 Description:
Same
 Viewed:  25162 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (4).JPG

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (5).JPG
 Description:
Ape guarding a tent at the Hotel Tucson City Center
 Viewed:  25163 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (5).JPG

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (6).JPG
 Description:
A typical day at the HTCC
 Viewed:  25163 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (6).JPG

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (7).jpg
 Description:
John Veevaert and John White indulging in one of their bad habits
 Viewed:  25290 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (7).jpg

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (8).JPG
 Description:
Strange animals all over the place at HTCC
 Viewed:  25179 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (8).JPG

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (9).JPG
 Description:
Tucson is tiring
 Viewed:  26375 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Some more Tucson photos (9).JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2017 15:06    Post subject: Tucson Show 2017 - Some personal thoughts  

In https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=56129#56129 Pierre Joubert wrote:

Lately there has been a general feeling that fewer people than before are attending mineral shows to actually shop for minerals, and that therefore there is less active business for dealers at these shows than in earlier times. This year, as a last contribution to this thread, I will give my own opinion about the general health of mineral shows, with reference to Pierre Joubert’s question just quoted, and with the recommendation that readers consult the excellent article “Mineral & Gem”: the Friendly Atmosphere of the Vosges Mountains by Mr. Jacques Touret on the latest edition of the Ste. Marie Show—this article can be found in volume 21, number 3 (2016) of the Mineralogical Almanac

This year, for the first time in many years, I did not run a selling room at Tucson, and so I could wear a buyer’s hat instead of a seller’s hat while moving around the Show. From this new and perhaps more objective viewpoint I formed an impression of the health of the Show, and of the health of big mineral shows in general, that is more optimistic than the impressions of many other observers.

Without quite echoing the cliché that this is a “golden age of mineral collecting,” I’ll pass on my impressions that there have never been so many mineral collectors as there are now, and that the number of new mineral finds, and in fact the sheer volume of mineral transactions, are as high as they have been, so for me is no real justification for sentimental nostalgia about the “wonderful years” of the past.

• Is total attendance at the shows dropping?

• On the contrary, the attendance figures have remained fairly stable year after year, and if they are changing at all it has been to increase. Each year more dealers come to the shows (attracted perhaps by the thought of making big profits during this “golden age”), and naturally the show visitors are more spread out among these many new dealers and new show venues, such that to look at any particular spot is to see fewer people per hour moving through. Could this be what is giving to some the false impression that overall show attendance is down?

• Are there fewer new mineral discoveries each year for dealers to offer at shows?

• To judge from my own experience over the years, no, there are as many new worldwide finds now as there have been. True, most of these new finds are limited as regards numbers of specimens that they produce—it is no longer common for hundreds or thousands of specimens of some new kind to suddenly come from a great locality like Tsumeb or Ojuela. This is because most mines today work “mechanically” rather than “manually,” and a distressing number of potential specimens get destroyed. It is also true that a new lot of specimens is much more likely today to be “atomized,” i.e. spread out quickly among many dealers (much more than in the past) due the greater possibilities they have to sell the new discoveries faster and easier than in the past.

• Are all of the really serious collectors older people who won’t be replaced when they fade from the scene?

• Well, my impression here could be wrong, of course, but from my “Internet watchtower” I see that a very considerable number of today’s mineral collectors are middle-aged or young. Perhaps they are not so conspicuous to other observers because they are young, and still learning, or even because they are being sheltered in some ways by their trusted Internet dealers. But I do think that there is a strong trend of new people’s coming into the hobby; I think that there is a huge number of younger collectors who, though perhaps Internet-dependent for now, will mature and grow, in good time, to replace today’s “classic” collectors, at shows and elsewhere.

I think that this latest edition of the Tucson Show, with all of its internal politics, unbalanced balances, and odd underground movements, was in general healthy, and very strong. And I think that the hobby of mineral collecting itself enjoys better health now than ever before.
Anyway, time will tell ;-)

Viva Tucson and long life to this hobby! (but let’s not talk too much about prices…;-)

PS: thanks to Tom Moore for the translation of this text and make it comprehensible.

European correspondent of the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™

Tucson 2017 - Funny Show.jpg
 Description:
Tucson is a funny/crazy Show.
Take this artifact as an example: full all around and with "rocks" filling every space, even the top of the car!...
 Viewed:  25022 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Funny Show.jpg

Tucson Show 2017 - Funny Show (2).jpg
 Description:
...but is also a lovely Show, with people doing a different kind of life there and enjoying the peculiar world that Tucson is, like Alfredo Petrov and his daughter Rumi.
 Viewed:  25014 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2017 - Funny Show (2).jpg

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2017 02:38    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

Thank you for the detailed answer Jordi.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2017 09:01    Post subject: Tucson Show 2017 - Wulfenite win!  

Wulfenite is now the Official Arizona State Mineral!

To know more: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2017/02/20/wulfenite-arizona-official-state-mineral-proposal/97877728/

Tucson 2017 - Wulfenite Official Arizona State Mineral (1).jpg
 Description:
Seen during the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show®
 Viewed:  24458 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Wulfenite Official Arizona State Mineral (1).jpg

Tucson 2017 - Wulfenite Official Arizona State Mineral (2).jpg
 Description:
Seen during the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show®
 Viewed:  24489 Time(s)

Tucson 2017 - Wulfenite Official Arizona State Mineral (2).jpg

Daniel Peters

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2018 05:33    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

Regarding the Mn Calcite on Kutnohorite from Palmarejo, was this in a dealers booth for sale or in a collectors showcase?

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2018 09:09    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

DANIEL P, Welcome to the forum!

I have looked over this thread x2 and fail to find the specimen that interests you. If it is on this thread, please lead me to it or exactly where is it? BOB

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2018 09:32    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

Bob Harman wrote:
Daniel P, Welcome to the forum!

I have looked over this thread x2 and fail to find the specimen that interests you. If it is on this thread, please lead me to it or exactly where is it? Bob

Is here Bob: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=55481#55481

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2018 09:45    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Bob Harman wrote:
Daniel P, Welcome to the forum!

I have looked over this thread x2 and fail to find the specimen that interests you. If it is on this thread, please lead me to it or exactly where is it? Bob

Is here Bob: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=55481#55481

THX Jordi. Obviously, I was looking for a picture. BOB

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2018 04:50    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2017  

Daniel Peters wrote:
Regarding the Mn Calcite on Kutnohorite from Palmarejo, was this in a dealers booth for sale or in a collectors showcase?

Daniel, the answer is neither. It's one of my specimens in my collection. I acquired from a dealer but not at the show during the show. If this makes sense.

The kutnohorite is sitting under the specimen.

Cheers

Jean

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 6 of 7
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

Jump to: