We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 04:50

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The Art of Displaying Minerals

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gary White

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2019 18:36    Post subject: The Art of Displaying Minerals  

I love this Idea suggested by Bob Harman.

In Tucson Show 2019 Bob Harman wrote:

Bob K,
I too want to thank you for your many pix! I was at the show, but for just several days, including just 1 day at the main show where I rather quickly rushed thru the displays. In general I agree with your 10 top display cases as this type listing becomes so subjective. I also want to agree with your comments about the individual specimens displayed and the numbers of specimens in some of the display cases.

Perhaps we should start a thread on "the art of the display". It might be fun to discuss all the aspects of displaying: The labeling and signage, the stands (I remember one case, years ago, where the stands were far more prominent than the specimens), the number and size of the displayed examples, their color, balance, and placement in the case etc etc. All this deserves some discussion, both for the displaying folks and the observers...yes??

Thanks again, Bob

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2019 03:58    Post subject: Re: The Art of Displaying Minerals  

Thread opened, please let us know your thoughts.

Gary White wrote:
I love this Idea suggested by Bob Harman.

In Tucson Show 2019 Bob Harman wrote:

Bob K,
I too want to thank you for your many pix! I was at the show, but for just several days, including just 1 day at the main show where I rather quickly rushed thru the displays. In general I agree with your 10 top display cases as this type listing becomes so subjective. I also want to agree with your comments about the individual specimens displayed and the numbers of specimens in some of the display cases.

Perhaps we should start a thread on "the art of the display". It might be fun to discuss all the aspects of displaying: The labeling and signage, the stands (I remember one case, years ago, where the stands were far more prominent than the specimens), the number and size of the displayed examples, their color, balance, and placement in the case etc etc. All this deserves some discussion, both for the displaying folks and the observers...yes??

Thanks again, Bob

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2019 06:28    Post subject: Re: The Art of Displaying Minerals  

A good idea and a very interesting aspect of our hobby. If you ask 100 collectors what is the best way to display minerals, you will get maybe 100 different answers, but the more interesting the topic is ;-)

I have some personal opinions concerning the style or "art" of displaying minerals that I would start this discusssion with. A "good" (in terms of my personal taste) display features the following aspects:

- Of course the light should be chosen well to present the specimens in the best possible way.
- I prefer a white surrounding instead of a black one ... and I hate mirrors because I like to see mineral specimens from the best perspective and not their backside and my face in the mirror ;-)
- Though many (private) collections are without labels, I think that labels are important and belong to a mineral collection, but they should look good and be uniform.
- The stands should not draw the attention away from the minerals.
- Many collectors say that specimens in a display should have a uniform size, I fully disagree and think that different sizes make a collection more attractive.
- A display should never be too crowded. This guideline helps you to discard minor specimens and make your collection better.

Just my two cents :-)
Tobi

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2019 08:25    Post subject: Re: The Art of Displaying Minerals  

Displaying minerals is highly personal. I would never feel comfortable telling anyone how they should display unless they ask. If it’s in their home then I’m just happy to see collections. If at a show, then I see what displays appeal to me and learn. Jim and I differ in our way of displaying minerals and therefore we leave each other be. Jim and our assistant put in one case, I put in a case with a guest who might have pottery, mining paraphernalia, art, beer steins, etc.
At home, I have certain cabinets that are geared towards my use. We have over 13,000 minerals in our collection, it’s a huge effort, but our custom made cabinets are very helpful.
Our desire, though, as a whole is to light key specimens to show them to their best.
I owned an art gallery for 30 years, lighting and display are a focus for me.
I am grateful and honored to see people’s collections.

Now Museums? Talk about diverse display methods! Most of my concerns are poor lighting or huge amounts of dust.

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2019 08:28    Post subject: Re: The Art of Displaying Minerals  

Our displays at home.

D2065895-6372-45DC-A392-6B8D85CB064B.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  12724 Time(s)

D2065895-6372-45DC-A392-6B8D85CB064B.jpeg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2019 09:30    Post subject: Re: The Art of Displaying Minerals  

When I suggested, in the recent Bob Kerr posting, that it might be interesting to discuss "the art of displaying", my suggestion had nothing whatsoever to do with personal in home displays.

As Bob K was discussing his ideas of the top Tucson display cases, my suggestion was meant only to discuss displays at shows.....Tucson, Denver, Munich....or smaller regional shows.....or the small local shows. There is a large difference in most displayers, displayed examples, and observers of the displays, at the big national shows vs smaller more local shows. The displays at these different shows tend to be very different and should be different (!) for the different observers......

Sorry if I did not make my original suggestion more clear. I might add more down the road, if others find the topic of interest. Bob

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2019 09:49    Post subject: Re: The Art of Displaying Minerals  

Thanks for clarifying Bob. I saw this was heading into home displays so was a bit concerned.

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2019 09:57    Post subject: Re: The Art of Displaying Minerals  

I'm looking forward to seeing info in here. As well as discussion.
I'm sure we all realize that aesthetics are a matter of taste... and so while there may be overall agreeable beauty to certaing things, each person will have their take on it
(and obviously in their own home do as they please :-D )

The things I immediately thought could be presented were details on mounting... both basic "shelves" in display boxes as well as the bases/stands... I know many like the acrylic ones - but that is just part of the story. How do you place a specimen on an acrylic base... without damaging the specimen... without interfering with the display... and so on.

I would love if some people shared not just a picture of their labeling... but in such a generous community I can easily see some people sharing their templates.
As well as info on short-hand, to be able to have sufficient info on a small piece of paper.
Are people putting info on both sides?
Mineral only on front... location and more on back, etc.

In a classic display in a show... are labels the same as at home or is there good reasoning (aesthetically) for just having numbers and a list with full info.
Does it depend on how crowded or not the case is?
What arguments for and against... each way using examples of cases that have won awards!

There is also the question of geometry of setup... all small pieces... mix... order placed... this is classic stuff - that no doubt takes into account thing from other arts, like photography, paintings and sculpture.
Not to mention colours... themes...

I seriously doubt we come into this thread looking to find a single solution :-D
Having only attended a few shows and never set up a display I look forward to seeing more examples and reasoning behind each.

(even my at-home-display is non-existant at this time as I'm traveling and have no apt of my own right now)

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2019 10:11    Post subject: Re: The Art of Displaying Minerals  

I remember putting together wooden “risers” and fortifying them and going to a fabric store to pick out a neutral fabric to cover our risers. Phew. So many fabrics but many that won’t work. It had to be ample enough to hide the wood underneath yet “stretchy” enough to pull and staple. It was not difficult for me to stretch as I had been stretching canvas for oil paintings for many years.
We put in a display in Tucson and actually won an award. As Jim and I stood in front of our case, just beaming with happiness, a well known mineral dealer came walking by and said “Hate your fabric” and she kept on going. We laughed so hard because there wasn’t a single piece in our case we had bought from her. All was fine, great story at mineral gatherings.
Anyhow, we evolved our displays as the lighting changed. The temperature of the lights in some cases scared us as we were concerned about enhydros, tack and hot glued specimens. With more LED lights it helps. A combination of LED and halogen is optimal for us.

Gary White

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2019 11:41    Post subject: Re: The Art of Displaying Minerals  

Consistency in labeling is absolutely required for competitive displays. However I have found that my labeled acrylic bases (that were acquired over many years and through a couple of different vendors) were inconsistent in font style, size, abbreviations, and content. To correct this I began making text-box labels with a common font and frame using Microsoft products. These can be easily printed on ordinary paper with an inkjet printer. The paper labels can be laminated at most office supply or shipping stores to prevent moisture damage and to provide stiffness. Once trimmed these laminated labels can be applied to an acrylic base with double sided tape or simply placed on the display shelf near the mineral. I have received positive comments from several judges for legibility and uniformity. Example below.

labels.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  12573 Time(s)

labels.JPG

moosix

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2019 18:20    Post subject: Re: The Art of Displaying Minerals  

A good idea and a very interesting aspect of our hobby. If you ask 100 collectors what is the best way to display minerals, you will get maybe 100 different answers, but the more interesting the topic is ;-)

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: