We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 01:56

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Please help! Shiny dark green crystals

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

DanielJP

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 08:38    Post subject: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

I found this specimen and a lot of others nearby on a ridge in the San Bernardino mountains. Most of the surrounding rock seemed to be gneiss. This was in the San Gorgonio Wilderness if that helps, around the NW part of it. What is it??? Looks like it’s in feldspar.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

DanielJP

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 08:58    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

I apologize, getting used to this website. Trying to reply with a photo,!

6608CD07-68AF-48D0-AF78-9CCCC22D32AE.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  8439 Time(s)

6608CD07-68AF-48D0-AF78-9CCCC22D32AE.jpeg

DanielJP

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 09:05    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

Little closer

D2D11915-A182-4F10-BE8B-6F55E14B0289.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  8440 Time(s)

D2D11915-A182-4F10-BE8B-6F55E14B0289.jpeg

Bob Carnein

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 09:14    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

The somewhat diamond shaped cross sections on some of the crystals, combined with apparent cleavage, suggest an amphibole. The amphiboles and pyroxenes are among the most difficult minerals to ID and classify; unfortunately, a picture doesn't provide enough information for a positive ID.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 09:18    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

Perhaps an Amphibole? You'd need to check the cleavage angles to be sure.

DanielJP

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 09:27    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

Oh boy... bit off more than I could chew

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 11:42    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

No worries, Daniel. We all started out like that!

Some minerals tend to break along certain flat parallel planes, rather than just random fractures in any direction. We call these parallel planes of breakage "cleavages". When you slowly tilt your piece outdoors in the sun, while concentrating on a single one of those dark green crystals, there will come a point in which you'll be holding it at just the right angle for all those parallel cleavages to reflect the sun at you at the same time, a flash reflection. Then you'll know you found the cleavage. (Minerals that don't have any obvious cleavage planes, like quartz, won't show this effect.)

Amphiboles have 2 such cleavage planes, separated by 120 degrees, so if you keep on rotating your specimen in the sun, you should see a second flash.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 14:56    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

Hi to everybody! If amphibole: hornblende; if pyroxene; diopside. My opinion: diopside.
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

DanielJP

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 15:21    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

Ah I see!! Thanks for that bit of information! I tried posting a gif of me tilting it, but it definitely shows these cleavage flashes! Is there a way to measure those angles as well as tell tale angles that could identify the mineral??

DanielJP

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 15:23    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

Bahhh!! Sorry I am just not processing that information fully yet! I get it. So how can I measure the angle? Or is it just by guesstimating the angle? I did well in trigonometry!! XD

Kevin Schofield

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 15:47    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

DanielJP wrote:
Bahhh!! Sorry I am just not processing that information fully yet! I get it. So how can I measure the angle? Or is it just by guesstimating the angle? I did well in trigonometry!! XD

Pyroxenes (in this case as has been suggested likely Diopside) have two cleavages at right angles. The Amphiboles (as Riccardo suggests probably hornblende) are at 120 degrees. Even without a protractor, that's easy to spot.

I believe that in your first picture the crystal that appears darker than the rest around 3/4 way down in the middle (just above the shadow) clearly shows two lineations that are probably cleavage that are at 60/120 degrees, so I think you have a hornblende-bearing rock.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 16:25    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

I agree with Kevin that these are probably amphiboles, but obnoxiously pedantic curmudgeon that I am, I'd like to introduce a warning about using the name "hornblende":
The amphiboles (or rather our knowledge about them) have evolved into an extremely complex group of closely related minerals, over 200 species currently and growing every year, and often quite difficult to distinguish even when holding an analysis in one's hand! Many of the things we used to call "hornblende" in college decades ago are now reclassified under other names. So I'd be very careful about writing Hornblende on a label; just Amphibole would be safer. For more information, go to the Mindat page and scroll down to the species list:
https://www.mindat.org/min-207.html

They say scientists, collectors and curators are either lumpers or splitters. I tend to be a lumper myself, so I use the broad name Amphibole. The splitters will have to find a professional mineralogist with abundant free time on their hands (ha ha ha!) to do the necessary analyses on their quarter-million-dollar machines to tell you exactly which of those 200 species you have.

Kevin, you're very lucky you have amphibole expert Dr Marian Lupulescu not too far away in Albany. He has done a tremendous job systematically analyzing the amphiboles in the Hudson Highlands. You have surprisingly lots of different amphibole species in your region, although they don't look that much different from each other visually.

Steve Maslansky

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2020 18:40    Post subject: Re: Please help! Shiny dark green crystals  

Thus might help. Geology of the San Bernardino National Forest,
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5207093.pdf
(link normalized by FMF)

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: