We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 01:04

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Mineral spirituality?
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

cascaillou

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2021 20:37    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality?  

All you need to know about "crystal healing" (aka "lithotherapy") is summarized in these two links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autosuggestion

This being said, a few minerals actually have real medicinal potential, but this is due to their physical and/or chemical properties (not to some kind of metaphysical "energy" or "vibration"). For instance, clay minerals are widely used in medicine. But let's also keep in mind that some minerals can be toxic, so I wouldn't recommend self-medication with minerals. At last, let's mention that some minerals actually do emit energetic particles, these are known as radioactive minerals, and while they can possibly cause harm, they cannot be used for healing.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bob Harman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2021 22:42    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality?  

As a retired MD pathologist, your last sentence is not true.

One of the newest therapies for metastatic (widely spread) prostate cancer involves linking a molecule of radioactive isotope of an element or part of a mineral to a carrier protein. This "cocktail" is then administered to the patient. The "cocktail" is specifically designed to find its way to all the metastatic cancer sites, both large and very small, and concentrate there. The radioactivity then slowly shrinks the tumors.
A nice side effect is that progress of the therapy with shrinking tumors can be followed on photographic film by the radioactive emissions. A novel, very promising, theraputic approach.

I also believe that using radioactive isotopic elements/minerals as pellets or something similar has been used for several other cancers. These pellets, or something similar, are physically placed at the sites of the tumors and the radioactivity, over time, shrinks the tumors.

As most health care professionals will tell you, any positive treatments to any diseases will lead an individual to an enhanced positive mental and spiritual well being.
Radioactive elements/minerals are, in fact, used both directly and indirectly for physical and mental and spiritual healing. Bob

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2021 13:32    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality?  

i think the "hormesis" theory is probably correct and LOW doses of ionizing radiation could be actually beneficial for human health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hormesis

So let's get another cuprosklodowskite for the collection ;))

cascaillou

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2021 15:53    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality?  

To Bob Harman:
Indeed, but for brachytherapy, could you actually use a radioactive mineral rather than a pure isotope? I mean, would a mineral implant actually be able to deliver high enough dose rate to cause any significant damage to a tumor on the short term when put at direct contact with it?

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2021 17:59    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality?  

The "hottest" natural mineral ever found is orders of magnitude weaker than the artificial isotopes used in brachytherapy, so no, no hope of that working with a natural mineral at all.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2021 03:29    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality?  

alfredo wrote:
The "hottest" natural mineral ever found is orders of magnitude weaker than the artificial isotopes used in brachytherapy, so no, no hope of that working with a natural mineral at all.

Man-with-unexplained-crow-on-head is correct. Even the Curies who used VERY radioactive minerals from Jachymov and a few other localities [and purified them!], didn't get cancer for years.

I have had brachytherapy, which usually uses a very artificial radioactive isotope of Indium at 99% purity. It is let out of a lead enclosure to 'sit on' your tumor for about 5 seconds once per week for about 8-12 weeks. Trust me, it did some real damage to the tumor and some healthy tissue too...which eventually grew back normally.

The most powerful radioactive emmiter I have is a boytroidal mass of uraninite from Jachymov. I'm not even sure the radioactivity, as it sends the needle on the scintillation meter I have to the stop in the RED ZONE. I keep it in a vented thick Pb box out of my living quarters and only carress it on rare occassions l-)

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2021 09:35    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality?  

Peter

Sadly my grandmother had radium therapy for a weak chest in the 1900s. She died of cancer of the chest about 80 years later. Link not proven but possible.

cascaillou

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2021 06:55    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality?  

An interesting article about the medicinal properties of minerals:

https://www.academia.edu/9566638/Clay_and_non_clay_minerals_in_the_pharmaceutical_and_cosmetic_industries_Part_II_Active_ingredients

olivia982 wang

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2021 20:20    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality?  

I've read a blog What Is Hematite? on FTMMachinery. When talking about the usefulness of hematite, he talked about the effect of hematite on the human spirit, It says that in Ancient Europe, wizards believed that hematite was "the blood of Mother Earth" and can resist the invasion of all evils. Thus, when important ceremonies were held, they often smeared it on the body, symbolizing the coming of divine power. Soldiers in ancient wartimes also carried hematite with them to pray that they could be invincible and returned safely.
Hematite is also used for sacrifice and protection of the dead. The Ancient Egyptians often engraved it on the amulets and emblems. In the Victorian Era, mourning jewelries made of hematite were used to commemorate the dead.
I found that vert interesting. Then I read other books and articles about it. I found that people's spiritual belief in minerals has a long history, and it exists in many places.
I don't believe in it, but I respect it.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2021 01:28    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality?  

What people believed in the past and distant past to help them explain the unexplainable has now been replaced in large part by the sciences and being able to know more than one's immediate time and place. While I am not uncomfortable with these beliefs in the past, I and I think most on this Forum are uncomfortable with the idea that minerals and crystals have some 'powers' other than their bonding energies and angles, their atomic and molecular combinations, how they react to electromagnetic radiation, etc. I find their beauty in understanding the science about them.

It is nice to see someone post from China!, but if you are going to try to move this thread toward the 'healing and mysterious magical properties' of minerals and crystals in the present, as opposed to what was believed in the past when molecules, atoms, atomic bonding, and sub-atomic interactions etc were not known [although some Greek scientist-philosophers presented an atomic theory of matter], I suggest you don't. Such posts will usually get the administrators to close the thread. Your post probably avoids that, but I just wanted to let you know if you continued along that line you might cross the 'line'.

Yes, in the past there were many interesting and to me poetic ideas about minerals and crystals. But the poetry now is in the science for me and I think I speak for most here. I am not open to such ideas today as were believed about minerals and many other things in the past. There are plenty of things to find 'mystery and wonder about' using science.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: