We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 08:55

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Airport security
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens

View previous topic :: View next topic  

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2007 14:55    Post subject: Airport security  

A short story about a mineral specimen (but dates and details have been concealed so that some poor airport security guard does not get into trouble).

I arrived at the airport with time to spare as I had a few mineral specimens in my hand luggage and one was rather large. Once I got to the screening (there was a long line) they screened my bag, asked what the large thing was, so I said 'a rock'. After some debate I was told that it was too large and I would have to check it in as 'security is very high at the moment'.

So I went back to the check in and explained to the airline staff. Their response was 'well you have some time to spare so why not try the security in the next terminal - they are a little less strict'.

So off I went to the other terminal and through to the security check. Again I was asked what the large item was, so I said 'a rock, would you like to see it'. This time I was asked to unpack it, which I did. While doing so the conversation went:
'What is it?'
'Fluorite',
'Where from?'
'XXXXX [a region of the country concerned]'
'Oh, I am from XXXXX, where about in XXXXX?'
'From YYYYY'
'Oh, I know YYYYY'
'There you go a fluorite from YYYYY, XXXXX'
'Oh so it is - well next time you might be better to check it in, but through you go'

So you see, finding the right security guard is all it takes.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

lluis

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2007 15:36    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

Well, no wonder.
That happened with another stuff (softeners for textile) in Munich Airport...
It was forbidden...but done I speak german, I was not a "bad boy", so, I could take it with me.

Yes, need to find the right trigger...

With best wishes

Lluís

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 14:20    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

You are so right that there don't seem to be any precise rules about carrying rocks on airplanes; it's just left up to the whims of the individual security guard. Most of the time I have no problem at all; occasionally I meet a real idiot, like the fellow who wouldn't let me take a stibnite crystal on board ("too pointed") - never mind that we're allowed to take as many ballpoint pens on board as we desire, with much sharper points! Another time I was refused permission to take a big bolivian ferberite on board ("too heavy - You could smash the stewardess' head with it, or break a window") - never mind that at that time they were still selling bottles of duty-free whiskey on board, which could have done even more damage to the stewardess' skull!

giranger

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2008 12:41    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

When I brought my minerals from Arizona to Kentucky I had no probs. I called ahead of time to make sure I would be able to bring them through. I had a big bag full and they didnt even question it.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2008 12:46    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

It all seems to be done to the individual that checks you carry on luggage! So like so many things in life the risk we take is random! Having said that, only once in the last 10 years have I been forced to check my specimens in and they survived fine. But other time, as shown above, it has taken persuasion or subterfuge

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2009 09:52    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

This week I was back at an airport with yet more hand luggage with 'rocks' in it. This time I was asked to open up some of the boxes so that they could see, which I did explaining that they were for my collection, very fragile, etc, etc. The usual patter of a nervous collector who REALLY does not want to check his specimens into the hold of the plane. So there I was going an about how nice they are, where they are from, what minerals they are, how interesting they are, look at the color, etc - trying to make these people love them as much as I do!

The airport was rather empty at the time so I quickly found myself with about six security personnel looking at my 'rocks'. They then had an argument between themselves with some saying that I had to check them in and others saying that they were far too delicate and that they would get damaged if I did that. In the end the most senior person decided that they were far too nice for me to risk checking them in and that I should take them on the plane!

So that was the answer!

str4hler

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2009 11:26    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

even better ;-)
coming from Bou-Azzer/Morocco last monday, I had almost 60 kilo of luggage, of which 50 kg were minerals I just found. I had it divided between
-a bagpack as handluggage (with 15 instead of 5 kilo of just minerals, the best I found)
-a suitcase to check in (with 18,5 kilo minerals on the airport scale)
-a big bag to check in (with also 18,5 kilo minerals and 10 clothing etc)

I checked in and put my bags on the scale. The lady looked at the scale, looked at me, excused herself and walked off. I knew I was going to pay badly for that (9 euro per kilo). Then, after 5 minutes, she came back, handed me by boarding pass, excused herself, took my luggage and asked for the next client to check in. So I kindly asked her: don't I have to pay for overweight luggage? Cause I had ca.20 kilo overweight. No, she answered me, we don't have an agreement on that with that airliner. Normally you pay, now you don't. Thank you Morocco... :)

So I smiled and walked off to customs...

There I arrived with my bagpack. I put it on the scanner. And of course, all red lights went off. The Moroccan customs officer asked me in french "what the hell is that in your bagpack"? So I told him, "je suis un geologe... et sa sont les pieres pour analyser" (I'm a 'geologist' and those are rocks to analyse). I let him pick one from my bag, told him it was fragile, and asked if he would allow me to open it. He did, I opened it, he smiled and said ok, off you go. Have a nice flight....

So... Monday evening late I arrived home very happy :-)

Cheers!

Jason

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2009 16:34    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

What an interesting thread..something I have not really thought of before but did wonder once how you would proceed through an airport with fragile and expensive specimens. Sounds like it's not to big of an issue..thanks god..didn't I read once that someone had to buy an extra plane ticket to set a certain mineral specimen in the seat next to him..where did i read that at..coming from brazil maybe? oh well..good thread

bugrock

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2009 23:44    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

Returning from Munich after the 2008 show I had many specimens in a carry-on bag.
The specimens were detected on x-ray check. I was asked what they were and on informing the inspector asked to show one of the specimens. Was a bit surprised that I needed to unwrap only one but thankful for the time savings of not having to unpack and unwrap all specimens.

To avoid problems it might be best to ship specimens or pack specimens in your checked luggage when the pieces are judged to be durable and very likely to survive shipment/travel but in the case of delicate crystals etc I think I will continue to pack specimens in hand luggage. This may not be without risk, given the current volume of hand luggage there is always someone using force to fit their bag in the overhead alongside yours or if you need to take connector flights in smaller aircraft you may be asked to surrender your hand luggage to be packed in cargo.

Actually the only time I was not permitted to take an item in my carry-on was in Berlin. I had purchased a jar of a good German mustard. Well, it was considered a "liquid" and not permitted. It had to be discarded. Compared with mineral specimens however the financial loss was minimal.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2009 16:34    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

It is more of a problem with all the current checks - and you always have the worry that they force you to check in a delicate specimen! But so far I have manged to avoid that. One day I will fail and we will see what happens in the hold of the plane.

James

bugrock

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2009 18:48    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

Perhaps we should give more thought to carry on details.
Does any one have a favorite hard-sided design used just in
case the bag must go into the hold? Of course that may not
be enough if the internal packing is not adequate.

For really delicate crystals you can use fine powdered detergent to pack
the piece in a sound box but if you do that plan on shipping the piece home.
If the rock attracts attention a box of unidentified powder would certainly
raise alarms. In fact I bet you might not be permitted to get on the
plane even minus the specimen and packing after showing that to
the inspector!

Some other reliable packing method is needed. So take a hard
side carry on filled with empty cardboard specimen boxes and lots of
plastic wrap packing to the show (the packing material could
travel in the checked luggage).

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 14:56    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

I believe the specimen that had a seat purchased for it was a scolecite on apophyllite from India. The only unfortunate experience I have had with airport security occurred long before 9/11 and that was mainly due to the entire security crew being brand new.

Since 9/11 I have traveled through a number of US airports with specimens with no problems. I have been advised to call ahead and ask for a Supervisor to hand check the specimens if they are fragile. I am aware there have been issues with a Tsumeb cerussite (I guess it looked like a weapon) in Dallas and a few other stories but I have not encountered these problems myself. I have carried large specimens, including an aquamarine that was 14" long, as well.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 15:29    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

I regularly fly with mineral specimens and never have had a problem with security in Europe. The US, however, is a different story. While usually the security agents are satisfied after inspecting the specimens, I was once denied boarding because a fluorite specimen I was carrying was "a potential weapon." The fluorite was only about 12 cm in size. I had no choice but to check the specimen or miss the flight.

Upon inquiring with the US Transportation Safety Agency (TSA) about what is allowable in carry-on baggage, I found out that, aside from the usual list of banned objects such as guns, knives, scissors, etc., the agents at the individual airports have fairly broad discretion to disallow anything they may deem potentially dangerous. The number of times this has been a real problem seem few, but there is no guarantee that specimens will be allowed on any plane here in the US. Each time I'm allowed to take them with me I feel lucky.

Jason

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 15:35    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

LOL..you can't take nail clippers but by god a 14" aqumarine ia okay???[as you are hijacking the plane] "everybody be cool..I have a Santa maria here and i am not afraid to use it"...LOL.."don't make me pull out me stibnite..it's a japanese one too"..LOL

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 15:47    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

I have used many bags over the years and in the end it is a bit of a compromise. It has to look like hand luggage and yet be solid enough to be checked in if the worst were to happen. I then use lots of boxes with plastic bags so that each specimens is well packed in its own box.

The one time I was forced to check the bay in it was actually a soft bag but a very square one so all the boxes essentially turned it into a rigid package. The two end compartments were full of soft packing material. Nothing got damaged.

On the flight last week some people got their bags onto the plane but as it was very full the last three people (not me - that is why I always try to board early) had to check their hand luggage in as there was no room in the over head compartments.

So my rule is 'a bag that looks like hand luggage but could stand being checked in, AND BOARD EARLY to get your bag in a nice secure over head compartment

James

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 15:53    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

I detect a bit of sarcastic humor. It does not have to make sense, it is a government run agency. You missed the classic security line, "place the box on the floor and step away from the cerussite with your hands over your head".

When some of the Miguel Romero collection was being brought into the states, security stopped the American for an inspection. The American produced all of the proper paperwork and the security person just got more agitated the more the paperwork was referenced. It finally dawned on the American the reason the Mexican security person was getting madder was because he could not read the documents. That should give everyone some comfort although it has probably improved over the past ten years.

Jason

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 16:58    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

"place the box on the floor and step away from the cerussite with your hands over your head". LOLOLOLOL
"look out he has a cerussite and it's twinned to...everybody down.".

David Von Bargen

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2009 10:03    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

amethystguy wrote:
"don't make me pull out me stibnite..it's a japanese one too"..LOL

I did have to unpack one in my carry on returning from Tucson one year for the security personnel (well before 9/11)

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2009 11:15    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

Hi Everyone,

About five years ago, I was travelling about and found in a mineral shop a good sized Autunite/Meta-autunite from Spokane, WA. I travelled about for several more days and packed the thing in my briefcase. I was flying home and set my briefcase on the belt along with my shoes and beltbuckle, etc., etc., Went through security, got on the plane, and disembarked at my final destination, and only then did I relize I had gone through security with radioactive material and there was no issue raised.

Two years ago, I moved down to America from Alaska, driving a uhaul through Canada and when I got back to the US border I was pulled aside and asked If I had any radioactive material in the truck. I told them there were some small Autunite and Betafite specimens along with others that were packed with the rest of my collection.This was a seventeen foot uhaul packed full. Not just covering the floor of the rig, packed. I just knew they were going to have me unload it all. After a couple of hours showing them my inventory list of my colection, discussing minerals and collecting they decided to let me go. Go figure.

Jimp

KDF-TX

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2009 10:37    Post subject: Re: Airport security  

I visited Ireland in September. I didn't have a rock hammer with me but I did manage to pick up a couple of mica schists and quartzes. I also visited the rock shop in Dublin to spend some euros.
To the subject: I was asked by customs if I had soil or seeds. No. Food? Yes. Some honey with Jameson Whiskey.
No problems.

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: