We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 19, 2024 03:21

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Mineralogical Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  

nimfiara

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 07:04    Post subject: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

Hi everyone!

I begin to expand my knowledge of the global minerals (minerals really only know Spanish), so I was thinking of starting to gather some international journal.

But I have a doubt: Mineralogical Records or Rocks and minerals?

I do not know either, but I have heard that both are exceptional, the problem is that I have enough money to get two so I have to settle for one.

Currently I have the complete collection of the two Spanish publications ("Bocamina" and "Revista de Minerales" (mineral up) plus all extralapis in English.

What you recommend me? "Minrec or rocks and minerals?

Thanks in advance

Granate

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 07:26    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical records or rocks and minerals?  

In my opinion Mineralogical Record is the best.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

lluis

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 07:46    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical records or rocks and minerals?  

Well, I am a subscriber of Mineralogical Record, so, I would prefer this one.
Nevertheless, Rocks and Minerals in his last reincarnation are said to be very good (I do not have one in hand, so, only repeating).

If you want to build a complete set, it is possible to build one of MR (although it is all but cheap).
To have a set of Rocks and Minerals I have no idea.
Last editions are also visible online..

So, all depends in what you plan....

With best wishes

Lluís

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 10:16    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

A tough question--and I myself can't necessarily claim to be impartial, because I'm on the editorial board of Rocks & Minerals.
But I would say that overall, Mineralogical Record tends to have more articles about classic worldwide localities and about finds and collections of "world-class" specimens, whereas Rocks and Minerals has more articles about localities of "local" interest in North America. With lots of exceptions to both of these, of course. I must say that most of us have always felt that MR is "the" premier mineral magazine.
If in doubt, I'd say, look at a couple of issues--perhaps just through browsing the tables of contents online--and just see which magazine has the most articles of interest to you.
Best of luck to you, in pursuing and expanding your interest in minerals!
Pete Modreski

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 10:25    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

A complete set of the Mineralogical Record, which has been published since 1970 can be found for sale and is a very good mineralogical reference to have. The cost is usually between $1500 and $2000 USD. Rocks and Minerals has been published since 1929 and I personally have never found someone with a complete set.

As for which to subscribe to currently,it's a hard choice. Personally, I would recommend Rocks and Minerals with the disclaimer that there is a certain personal bias as they publish my articles. Under the current editor Marie Huizing, the publication has grown quite a bit in both the size of each issue and the quality of the articles. Unfortunately, I get a feeling that the MR is heading the opposite way. Many of the articles are now written by staff rather than knowledgeable outsiders, and the pages of each issue are increasingly full of large colorful ads for "top-end" mineral dealers and vanity pages for wealthy collectors. The MR, however, does a very good job of reporting on what happens at major shows each year with their "What's New" section. Rocks and Minerals does not have anything similar. In many ways, the two publications are complementary in what they cover, and I would recommend both as they are the two top journals for collectors in the English language.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 10:27    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

Pete Modreski wrote:

If in doubt, I'd say, look at a couple of issues--perhaps just through browsing the tables of contents online--and just see which magazine has the most articles of interest to you.

Rock & Minerals -> https://www.rocksandminerals.org/
Mineralogical Record -> https://www.minrec.org/

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 10:28    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

I like and subscribe to both. Peter's take seems right to me. If there was a deciding factor, I think the "What's New" column in Mineralogical Record may be it. This gives an overview of what new material is seen at each of the major shows, both in the USA and some international. Generally the text is available online for free. The paper and image quality is probably also better in Min Record, but the newer Rocks and Minerals editions are very good.

Hope this helps.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 10:30    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

GneissWare wrote:

..Generally the text is available online for free....

What's New in the Mineral World? by Thomas P. Moore (version on line) -> https://www.minrec.org/whatsnew.asp

nimfiara

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 10:49    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

Phew, that difficult to decide ...
If I could I subscribed to both magazines, but now it's impossible.

Thank you very much everyone for your opinions, I think I finally decide for Mineralogical Record

Glad to hear that it is possible to get the full series (2000 $ is a lot of money, but there is no hurry and can be achieved gradually, perhaps over 3 to 4 years can do)

I've seen that page, the old numbers are no longer possible to buy, but I think a little internet searching I can find them second hand or something.

And all knowledge is always small, certainly when Minrec complete, I decided to continue with Rocks and minerals, give it time! :-)

Thanks very much, yours opinions are very valuables for me.

PD: Thanks Jordi for all the links ;-)

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 10:59    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

As for back issues of Min Record, there are about 8 issues that are very expensive (Colorado 1 and Gold 1 are the two that come to mind at $100 to $200 each), but many are available for $3 to $5 each. Many Min Records, particularly some of the later ones, are focused on specific topics which you may not be interested in, and many issues are so common that dealers can't sell them, so they tend to be very inexpensive.

If you look through the comprehensive index (available online) it may help identify specific back issues you would be most interested in buying. Of course, here in the USA they are commonly available; in Europe, I don't know. Perhaps if you know someone travelling to Tucson, they could carry a few back for you in their suitcase.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 11:50    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

I have arranged for an anonymous donor to give you a free two-year subscription to Rocks & Minerals. Please send me you mailing address in a private message (PM).

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 12:22    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

The Master comes to the damsel's distress, nice going John.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 12:58    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

John S. White wrote:
...Please send me you mailing address in a private message (PM).

She can't Master, too newer here (10 days delay until new members can use PM -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=8055#8055 )

Nimfiara, please send it to me via Spanish Forum and I will re-send it to John.

Jordi

nimfiara

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 13:52    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

WoW! Wow! WoooooWWWWWW!!
I adore you, do not deserve such kindness!!

Thank you with all my heart, if I can offer something to thank him feel free to ask me please, and if you come to Spain, my home is yours

Even I can not send private messages, I'll send the address to Jordi

I am very grateful

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 16:02    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

Heartwarming John...good on ya mate!

You are probably better to try to obtain a full..or nearly full set of MR back issues as a lot, buying them one or a few at a time will add up to a LOT more money and you'll still wind up paying a premium for the hard to get issues.

lluis

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 16:42    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

Say it to me, Peter, say it to me....

I have a set of practically unused ones.
And the price was not exactly 2000$. I would be very happy to get them for that price... :-(

With best wishes

Lluís

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 05:31    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

I have just been told via a Private Message that another anonymous donor will be giving nimfiara a one year's subscription to Mineralogical Record.

VRigatti

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 09:11    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

I subscribe to both excellent publications, and give a slight edge to MR. Glad to be a part of such a generous group of members....way to go!

nimfiara

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 15:23    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

What ???!!! O_o a moment.. a moment... I need to breathe

But ... but ..... that it is excessive! I am very happy but also a little sad about not being able to thank him as he deserves.

Many thanks to those people, "anonymous", I wish I could do something that would make them happy too, but I know I could do ...

If there is something, however small, so you can thank these people, tell me please, the balance is not balanced, I'm getting a lot in this forum and I can barely make a little.

Thank you with all my heart, I feel tender.

PD: Now I will sit quietly and read it again in case I mistranslated and pinch myself to verify that there is a dream.

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 17:38    Post subject: Re: Mineralogical Record or Rocks and Minerals?  

Welcome "Nim". Welcome not only to the Forum, but also to the wonderful world of John S. White. Now you know why so many people call him "The Master". Or even just "Master".

I call him "Maestro" myself.

As for the "anonymous donors", you can best thank them by demonstrating a continued interest in all things mineralogical (as Gail Spann likes to say). Continue to post photos and explanations of your mineral specimens on the Forum, and ask questions when something piques your interest. We all like that, and we all like your posts. I thank you for them.

We here on the English side of the forum do not have as strong a familiarity with the minerals of Spain, so your posts are a source of information for many of us. Keep 'em coming.

Enjoy your subscriptions, you have many hours of wonderful reading and learning ahead of you. Dinero bien gastado, I say.

Saludos desde Kingman,

Ed

Index -> Mineralogical Literature   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: