We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 03:15

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Mineral Shows by Gail Spann

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gail

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 09:11    Post subject: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

I am so excited, it's almost Tucson time! With the addition of a new camera and macro lens, as well as an excellent lighting system I do hope to add a few more delightful photos to this year's show report. I have a Nikon D-90 and I still have the Nikon D-40 for backup. I also have a small Nikon digital camera for ease of carrying.

As always I will be loading photos late into the night. I have a new MacBook Air computer which will make loading very easy. My old Vaio was just too slow.

Many collectors and dealers are coming through Dallas on their way to Tucson so we are happy to visit and catch up on news with them. Tucson of Bust is the mindset of all.

I have been pleased with the use of my photos by Mineralogical Record and Rocks and Minerals magazine this past year. Not for my mineral photos, but for my people photos.

My aim is to show the fun of attending, the beauty of the desert, the smiles on people's faces and minerals, of course! As always, this is but one of many show reports that various people put out there, but mine is with the "Gail flair" and I hope you all enjoy it. I leave for Tucson in a couple of weeks but thought I would start my thread now.

Cheers and happy collecting!

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 09:24    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Gail, please this time show us more photos of specimens with localities and sizes - less VIP people :-)

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 09:26    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Gail wrote:

...but mine is with the "Gail flair" and I hope you all enjoy it...

Of course we will! We can't wait for...;-)
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 09:32    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Tomasz Praszkier wrote:

Gail, please this time show us more photos of specimens with localities and sizes - less VIP people :-)

VIP people don't really disturb but I believe we all much prefer to see minerals here. Gail, please, post both, but mainly rocks.

Many thanks in advance for your effort, commitment and time spent.

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 09:36    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

I have to say that I have no time to go to Tucson and all web reports are very interesting. So, I read them all. Especial interesting is too see some great specimens and new finds!
Thank you all for making this kind of reports!

Gail

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 09:43    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Ah, I see.
Sorry everyone, I mentioned my flair on this, and from the huge amount of hits on my past show reports it seems to be working for most others. I do not have the time to find sizes on pieces I photograph, you get what you get.
Please do not tell me what to do, I certainly wouldn't tell you.
Jordi invites me to do this show report, he is pleased with it and I put out a tremendous amount of energy and time. I do this for JORDI.
I have had others ask for me to put it on their websites but I decline, it is out of friendship with Jordi that I do my show reports, there are plenty that offer what it is you seek.
And VIPs? I take photos of whomever comes along to chat, not all are what you call VIPS.
So my advice, if taken, is to ignore my show report and then you won't find fault with it.

What a day! Only up two hours and I have put up with enough grief already.

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 09:52    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

I think that you misunderstood me, or maybe just my English is so bad...
I also write many reports, trips descriptions, I like comments. I didn't new that there will be any problem for you...
I think that writing this kind of reports (from shows, trips, new finds) we make for other people, for this reason is so important to know what other people expect. This is only reason why I didn't hesitate to write my comment. Sorry for that. I am sure that many people like your reports very much, and wait for them.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 09:55    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Hi guys, no one can imagine how much energy, time and sacrifice needs the effort that Gail do EVERY year to give us her vision of the Show. I'm there and I know it, and I'm extremely grateful to her by gift us a major part of the most searched thing in Tucson: time!

I know what you mean, and I will try to supply these aspects by my own thread as best as I can and with my serious time limitations, but lets Gail work by her own. Currently, several other columns appear on line, giving infos about many aspects of this mega-show and I believe that visiting all of them you can have a complete overview.

Is hard to explain if you never been there, but believe me, Tucson Show is something knocking and exhausting and the main priority there is take care of yourself to survive! ;-) Gail is extremely generous offering her vision to us, just enjoy it and lets Gail enjoy too, feeling free to do what she want to do! ;-)

Thanks everybody. Gail for your fabulous work and Tomasz and Carles for your contribution to the mineral's world.

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 10:21    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Hi Gail,

As usual I won't have time to attend Tucson. I'm looking forward your report about minerals and what's taking place backstage as well. Let's hope you'll find a way to take a picture of Bill Larson with another best on his head (the iguana was a great shot).

Cheers

Christophe

Gail

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 10:28    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Thank you Chris, it is people like you that encourage me to stay up till three in the morning posting. I salute you. It is worth the time and effort knowing you are enjoying the report. And, if I see any iguanas on Bill's head again, I will send you a framed photo!
You never know what you will see there.

And Jordi, thank you for your continued friendship and support. You are a true gentleman.

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 10:34    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Gail, in my mind, "Gail's Tucson Show Report" is just what it says. Just the volume alone give's something to everyone, all you really have to do is scroll past and find your interest. Can't have every thing, where would you put it? I guess I was a VIP last year, somehow I found myself in the lineup (didn't feel a thing). After all, the show exists because of the characters involved, looking for specimens with character. I'm sure Tomasz's comment was just POV and not criticism. The good side of digital photography is you can take hundreds of shots easily, the bad side is you can take hundreds of shots easily. Make sure you ice your wrist Gail and keep up the good work.

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 12:16    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Hey Gail,

just a bit more support, your first (I believe), Tucson and other show reports started to emerge in 2009. At that time I was living in Chile, since we relocated to Tucson, but let me tell you that at that time, seeing your reports with all the pics, was great. and still is. It reinforce the social aspect, nature of the hobby. Rocks and people make the hobby.
Cheers
Jean

simonoff

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 12:28    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Gail, having gone to Tucson for the past 2 years, I know that even if do you spend every minute at a show, you still do not see 10% of it. As a result, I am grateful for whatever you can share photographically. You photos are often things I missed or better yet, things I want to be reminded of, once the show is over

Thanks for the incredible service you provide!
Bob

Joan Kureczka

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 12:45    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

The more reports the merrier! Everyone has their own point of view and no one can get all around this monster of a show.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 12:51    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Speaking on behalf of TGMS and as a resident of Tucson, I love Gail's reports and we think that EVERYONE WHO COMES TO THE TUCSON SHOW IS A VIP...and we wish those of you who don't have time or opportunity to come this year have a chance to come in the future and join the festivities!

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 12:59    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Amen, Pete

VRigatti

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 19:46    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

I have eagerly viewed every one of Gail's photos (rocks and rock people) over the years with envy since I could never manage the time to go. Finally I am going this year for the first time and can hardly wait. I am still looking forward to all of Gail's photos this time around. Thanks for all your efforts.

Greg Toomey

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 21:01    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Gail,
Looking forward to seeing you and Jim again and reading your great report this year - always enjoyable and informative. The thing that amazes me about your report is the sheer will and fortitude you must have to post and upload your daily impressions late every night and maintain your enthusiasim. That's what really amazes me. Muchos kudos to you!
Greg

tiger_bris

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2011 02:42    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Cant Wait for Gails reports either. Only one thing better than reading about who she comes into contact with or the minerals that get posted is spending a little time with her. You rock mate.

crocoite

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2011 02:51    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's Tucson show report, 2011  

Looking forward to meeting Gail for the first time this year...

...and it will be good to see you again Trevor.

Regards
Steve

Index -> Mineral Shows by Gail Spann   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: