We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 13:51

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Index -> A mineralogical trip through the states of USA

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bob Harman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2016 09:29    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Monroe Reservoir, more commonly known as Lake Monroe or Monroe Lake, is a reservoir built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1964. It is the water supply for Bloomington Indiana and several nearby smaller communities. It dams up Salt Creek and is used for flood control in southern Indiana. Its normal level (pool level) is 538 feet (above sea level) and the spillway, used as a parking lot and recreational entry to the lake is 552 feet. Two times since 1964 has the spillway been overrun by high water.
The spillway was cut out of a limestone ridge that runs along a portion of the Lake's South shore. The spillway cut is about 75 feet high on both sides and about the width of a U.S. football field. Local collectors can, with some effort, get to several levels hi up on the spillway rock walls to hunt geodes and fossils. These are 5 pix of 3 examples.
These geodes commonly have thin transparent and lustrous pale yellow terminated Baryte along with peculiar frosty calcites. Dolomite and other minerals are very rare. Since the geodes are removed from surrounding limestone which has only recently become exposed, they are usually quite fresh and bright.

DSC02350.jpg
 Mineral: Barite and Calcite on Quartz and with Dolomite
 Locality:
Monroe Reservoir spillway, Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: geode cavity is 15 x 13 cm largest calcite is about 5 cm and the barites are about 2.5 cm
 Description:
Baryte and calcite on quartz with very minor dolomite
Monroe Reservoir spillway, southern Monroe County, Indiana , USA
 Viewed:  28395 Time(s)

DSC02350.jpg

DSC02354.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite and Barite on Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: calcites up to 3.0 cm, barite up to 2.5 cm
 Description:
Note the frosty appearance of the calcites
 Viewed:  28374 Time(s)

DSC02354.jpg

DSC02359.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: calcites up to 3.0 cm, barite up to 2.5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  28347 Time(s)

DSC02359.jpg

DSC03806.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: calcites up to 4.0 cm barite up to 2.5 cm
 Description:
note the frosty appearance of the calcites
 Viewed:  28362 Time(s)

DSC03806.jpg

DSC03811.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: calcites up to 4.0 cm, barite up to 2.5 cm
 Description:
note the frosty appearance of the calcites
 Viewed:  28406 Time(s)

DSC03811.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2016 15:21    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Very nice Bob!

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2016 18:43    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

In 2013, while field collecting at the Indiana rte 56 road cuts in Washington County, a fellow pulled off the road near my collecting. When this happens, I get a little anxious as to what the stranger's motives might be. This fellow though, was a friendly local who was interested in what I was doing and proceeded to tell me that he lived nearby with considerable surrounding land. He had a stream in a ravine and had seen geodes in it and said, if I wanted, I could explore the area. In general going onto private property is no so easy here in the U.S. Midwest, but I thanked him.
The next time I was down there, I made it a point to seek out his ravine with not much real hope as these situations rarely lead to anything substantial. The site was a steep heavily wooded rocky ravine with a sharp bend and a shallow stream coursing thru the ravine. The rocky walls of the ravine actually hosted a few large and very large promising geodes so I became rather enthused. The whole site is not very big and over these past 2 years I have found about a dozen very collectible and hi end examples. These 2 pictured are probably the 2 best examples. The very large example has been shown to several dealers at the larger shows and they suggest culling out the area with the calcites to make a specimen rather than a geode, but so far, I have resisted.

orange.jpg
 Mineral: calcite on quartz
 Locality:
Washington County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: Geode cavity is greater than 30 cm, Calcite area is about 20 cm
 Description:
Rocky wooded ravine on private land Washington County, Indiana U.S.A.
Collected 2014
 Viewed:  28361 Time(s)

orange.jpg

DSC03791.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite on Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: the geode is about 24 cm and the calcites are up to 2.5 cm
 Description:
Rocky wooded ravine on private land Washington County , Indiana U.S.A.
Collected 2015 . This picture was taken as part of my recent display case at the 2016 Cincinnati Ohio mineral show
 Viewed:  28227 Time(s)

DSC03791.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2016 09:28    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

An extremely unusual occurrence is this hyalite opal on the crystal tips of otherwise rather ordinary quartz. Of my 2 examples, this is the better one. I have never seen any others.
Defined as a colorless rather amorphous glass like silica or quartz with about 3% - 5% water, this form of quartz may be widely found, but apparently not, as far as I know, in Indiana geodes.

DSC02730.jpg
 Mineral: Opal (variety hyalite) on quartz
 Locality:
Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: geode is 11 cm, the opal area is 2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  28206 Time(s)

DSC02730.jpg

DSC02732.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: opal area is 2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  28153 Time(s)

DSC02732.jpg

DSC02733.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: opal area is 2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  28172 Time(s)

DSC02733.jpg

Jamison Brizendine

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2016 08:14    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Bob, does the hyalite fluoresce like the Mexican and African hyalite?

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2016 15:50    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Perhaps I should have started my postings with examples of simple quartz geodes, after all they are the basis of all the others with the secondary minerals upon the quartz. Ordinary quartz geodes are found by the millions in south central Indiana. Novices and casual collectors most commonly collect rather ordinary examples with little collector appeal or value to the more experienced collectors. Like with all field collected mineral specimens, it takes a bit of searching and luck to find truly top quality or unusual examples.
These 3 large examples, all from locations in Monroe County Indiana, represent higher quality and more unusual finds. They appear much better in person with more 3 dimensionality and more contrasting areas than pictures can show.

I will be posting more hi quality and unusual examples of quartz only geodes in the coming weeks and months.

DSC02532.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: geode cavity is 13 cm
 Description:
quartz geode
A large superior example with large round clean cavity, thin rind, no iron staining and one generation of quartz.
 Viewed:  28053 Time(s)

DSC02532.jpg

DSC02262.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz on Quartz (variety chalcedony)
 Locality:
 Dimensions: geode cavity is about 10 cm with a thick rind
 Description:
crystalline quartz on blue chalcedony (microcrystalline quartz)
at least 3 generations of quartz. Crystalline quartz topped by blue chalcedony and then covered by crystalline quartz. Perfectly fresh with no iron staining or degeneration and corrosion.
 Viewed:  28029 Time(s)

DSC02262.jpg

DSC02932.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: geode is about 18 cm with a very thick rind
 Description:
quartz and microcrystalline quartz
at least 4 generations of crystalline and microcrystalline quartz with the cavity lined by smoky quartz. This example weighs nearly 18 lbs.
 Viewed:  28034 Time(s)

DSC02932.jpg

DSC02935.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: geode is 18 cm, cavity is about 9 cm in greatest dimension
 Description:
quartz and microcrystalline quartz
smoky quartz lines the cavity
 Viewed:  28039 Time(s)

DSC02935.JPG

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2016 16:48    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Do you do anything special when you break open and then trim these geodes? How do you get them looking so good?

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2016 17:05    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

HI MATT, Thanks for looking! So while I am now slowing down, when I was actively field collecting, I had to open many many examples to find the few that look like this.

Those that are still in surrounding matrix usually are fresh and don't need much except mechanical trimming with a splitter. Those examples like the just posted 3 quartz geodes, also did not need anything done except to open them as they were found whole and unbroken. If they had been iron stained or otherwise dingy, they would have only made our garden or been wholesaled. I do have lots of nice examples (huge big collection to the dismay of my wife, but no one else!) I only display and photo the very best of my examples that usually did not need much cleaning or prep attention. CHEERS.....BOB

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2016 18:15    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Bob Harman wrote:
Perhaps I should have started my postings with examples of simple quartz geodes, after all they are the basis of all the others with the secondary minerals upon the quartz. Ordinary quartz geodes are found by the millions in south central Indiana. Novices and casual collectors most commonly collect rather ordinary examples with little collector appeal or value to the more experienced collectors. Like with all field collected mineral specimens, it takes a bit of searching and luck to find truly top quality or unusual examples.
These 3 large examples, all from locations in Monroe County Indiana, represent higher quality and more unusual finds. They appear much better in person with more 3 dimensionality and more contrasting areas than pictures can show.

I will be posting more hi quality and unusual examples of quartz only geodes in the coming weeks and months.

Bob, Really enjoying your posts! Bob

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2016 12:27    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Of course this forum is primarily about minerals, but here is something a little different.

In Indiana where geodes might be found there are localities primarily in Monroe and Washington Counties that have mineral replaced fossils. Often, the original invertebrate fossil is easily recognized and now completely replaced by silica. Quartz replaced fossils; silicified or geodized fossils as they are called. As my pictures show, they can be hollow, with crystals in the cavity, or solid. These invertebrates are Mid-Mississippian age or about 425 million years old. They are quite common if you know where to look and are sought after by both fossil and Midwest mineral collectors.
This is distinct from minerals associated with fossils like the calcites in clams from Florida or the vivianite associated with Bolivian fossils, these examples represent complete mineral replacement of the fossil. They are similar to pyritized fossils.

DSC02037.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz replacing fossil
 Locality:
 Dimensions: about 6 cm greatest dimension
 Description:
quartz replacing a fossil brachiopod
this example is hollow with smoky quartz crystals on chalcedony
 Viewed:  27858 Time(s)

DSC02037.JPG

DSC02051.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: about 6 cm maximum dimension
 Description:
quartz replacing a brachiopod fossil
smoky quartz crystals on chalcedony
 Viewed:  27841 Time(s)

DSC02051.JPG

DSC02028.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: about 4 cm to 6 cm
 Description:
silicified fossils (geodized fossils)
various examples from southern Monroe county. Many have remaining bits of the shell easily noted, but all are now geodes or silicified fossils.
 Viewed:  27950 Time(s)

DSC02028.JPG

DSC02029.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 5 cm
 Description:
silicified fossil shell
 Viewed:  27787 Time(s)

DSC02029.JPG

DSC02031.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 5.5 cm
 Description:
silicified fossil brachiopod
bits of the remaining shell are easily noted.
 Viewed:  27800 Time(s)

DSC02031.JPG

DSC02033.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: these range from 2.5 cm to about 6 cm
 Description:
silicified fossil gastropods (snails)
 Viewed:  27791 Time(s)

DSC02033.JPG

DSC02035.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: about 5.0 cm and 6.5 cm
 Description:
silicified fossil gastropods (snails)
2 distinctly different species
 Viewed:  27830 Time(s)

DSC02035.JPG

DSC02036.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: from 3 cm to about 7 cm
 Description:
silicified fossils (geodized fossils)
silicified cephalopods, a crinoid head and crinoid stems and horn coral; all are now geodes. As they have not been opened, one can only speculate whether they are solid or hollow.
 Viewed:  27792 Time(s)

DSC02036.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2016 13:48    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

About 1963, when most quarries were open to weekend collecting, fluorite was discovered in the May Quarry (Fort Wayne Sand and Gravel Quarry) near the city of Fort Wayne in Allen County Indiana. Within weeks, the quarry was overrun by collectors and shortly thereafter most unauthorized collecting was stopped. Now only clubs, with management permission, gain occasional access to the quarry.
This example has several crystals in a small vug. The largest crystal measures about 4.5cm x 3.0cm x 3.0cm. Those collectors familiar with these examples can tell them from many similar Ohio quarry crystals. Over the years I have been shown a couple of examples with accompanying white bladed celestine claiming to be from Fort Wayne. Not true as no celestine has ever reliably been reported from this quarry. All fluorite with celestine comes from NW Ohio quarries.
The last time I collected in this quarry was with a 2008 club field trip. No one found much of anything. Then upon driving back to the quarry office to check out, we passed Volkswagen size boulders lining the gravel road to the office. They had been there for years. Checking them out, one had voids filled with similar cubes of fluorite crystals. We had a front end loader help break up the boulder and we went home with several nice specimens.

DSC03874.jpg
 Mineral: fluorite
 Locality:
May Stone and Sand Quarry (Hoosier Sand and Gravel Quarry), Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: largest fluorite is 4.5 cm x 3.0 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27631 Time(s)

DSC03874.jpg

DSC03880.jpg
 Mineral: fluorite
 Locality:
May Stone and Sand Quarry (Hoosier Sand and Gravel Quarry), Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: largest fluorite is 4.5 cm x 3.0 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27644 Time(s)

DSC03880.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2016 17:47    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

In Indiana quartz can do strange and interesting things, much like pictures of quartz from many worldwide locations. These 2 examples, from the Harrodsburg road cuts in southern Monroe County show interesting crystal patterns.

DSC02986.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz (variety milky quartz) on Calcite
 Locality:
State Route 37 road cuts, Harrodsburg, Clear Creek Township, Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: the specimen max dimension is 12 cm the calcite is 5 cm
 Description:
groups of small milky quartz crystals sprinkled over the calcite. Minor dolomite in the background
 Viewed:  27506 Time(s)

DSC02986.jpg

DSC03144.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz with Calcite and Dolomite
 Locality:
State Route 37 road cuts, Harrodsburg, Clear Creek Township, Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: the quartz "stalactite" is 2.6 cm
 Description:
Quartz with a calcite and dolomite in the background
A 7 cm geode with an interesting 2.6 cm "stalactitic" grouping of small quartz crystals
 Viewed:  27506 Time(s)

DSC03144.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2016 12:05    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Over the years one of the steadiest and most prolific of high quality calcite producers has been the Berry Materials Quarry in North Vernon Indiana. Several pictures of North Vernon calcites have already been pictured on the site before this one.

DSC02071.JPG
 Mineral: Calcite
 Locality:
Berry Materials Corp. Quarry, North Vernon, Jennings County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: the calcite is 7 cm max dimension
 Description:
Calcite on matrix
 Viewed:  27326 Time(s)

DSC02071.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2016 07:58    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

A very large (21 cm) and heavy Harrodsburg road cut geode collected about 11 years ago. This example is interesting in that it has a large isolated 8 cm rhombohedral calcite and a nearby isolated single 4.7 cm Baryte crystal. The translucent/transparent Baryte crystal is color zoned with micro marcasite inclusions. The area of interest in this example was suggested for culling out from the rest of the geode, but, too date, has been kept intact.

DSC02020.jpg
 Mineral: Barite and Calcite on Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: geode is 21 cm calcite is 8 cm barite is 4.7 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27222 Time(s)

DSC02020.jpg

DSC02023.jpg
 Mineral: Barite and Calcite on Quartz
 Locality:
Harrodsburg area, Clear Creek Township, Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: calcite is 8 cm barite is 4.7 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27194 Time(s)

DSC02023.jpg

DSC02022.jpg
 Mineral: Barite on Quartz
 Locality:
Harrodsburg area, Clear Creek Township, Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: barite is 4.7 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27224 Time(s)

DSC02022.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2016 09:39    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Casual and weekend geode collectors in Indiana and other geode locations throughout the Midwest most commonly find "field and stream" geodes. This is the name given to those geodes that long ago have weathered out from the limestone matrix and are now found loose in the stream beds and plowed farm fields. The vast majority of these are weather worn, dingy, with corroded and degenerating secondary minerals in the cavity. Only an infrequent example is fresh inside. Experienced collectors shy away from these examples, but you commonly see them offered for sale at roadside stands and Midwest regional rock shows.

DSC02416.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
_Rural Washington County
A roadside stand selling field and stream geodes in rural Washington County
 Viewed:  27025 Time(s)

DSC02416.JPG

DSC03184.JPG
 Description:
-Field and stream geodes for sale at a recent Bloomington rock show
 Viewed:  26996 Time(s)

DSC03184.JPG

DSC03181.JPG
 Description:
_Field and stream geodes for sale at a recent Bloomington rock show
 Viewed:  27051 Time(s)

DSC03181.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2016 08:02    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Two geodes from the Monroe Reservoir spillway locality. The cm ruler is for scale showing that these examples can be quite small or quite large and heavy.
The larger example shows bright multicolored dolomites (pearly pink at 6 o'clock, orange yellow at the 5 and 7-8 o'clock positions and additional scattered bright brick red groupings elsewhere) along with a couple of terminated calcites and small intergrown Barytes, all on quartz.

DSC03710.jpg
 Mineral: Dolomite, Calcite, Barite on Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: see ruler for scale; the larger example is 23 cm with a 13 cm cavity
 Description:
multicolored dolomite, calcite, and minor Baryte all on quartz
 Viewed:  26905 Time(s)

DSC03710.jpg

DSC03712.jpg
 Mineral: Dolomite, Calcite, Barite on Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: geode cavity is 13 cm
 Description:
multicolored dolomites, calcite and minor Baryte on quartz
the calcites are about 5.5 - 6.0 cm in max dimension
 Viewed:  26909 Time(s)

DSC03712.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2016 08:03    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

This 13cm - 14cm geode with a 10cm cavity is superficially similar to the previous example, but there are several important differences. The calcites in the previous example were of rhombohedral crystal type while this example has intergrown scalenohedral crystals, several of which are nicely terminated. Also these crystals have many visible marcasite inclusions while the previous example had calcites free of inclusions. Finally, there is no visible Baryte in the current example.

DSC02489.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite with Marcasite inclusions on Dolomite and Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: geode is about 14 cm, cavity is about 10 cm, largest calcite is about 4.5 cm
 Description:
intergrown calcites with marcasite inclusions and multicolored dolomite on quartz
 Viewed:  26843 Time(s)

DSC02489.jpg

DSC02493.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: geode is about 14 cm, cavity is about 10 cm, largest calcite is about 4.5 cm
 Description:
as above
 Viewed:  26805 Time(s)

DSC02493.jpg

DSC02495.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
as above; largest calcite is about 4.5 cm
 Viewed:  26810 Time(s)

DSC02495.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2016 08:47    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

While several secondary minerals are very common in quartz geodes, there are a number of rarely found secondary minerals. One of these is fluorite. Few examples exist and these seem to only be found in Harrison County examples as I have never heard of or seen a reliable example from any other Indiana county.

DSC02222.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite on Quartz
 Locality:
Corydon Stone Co. Quarry, Corydon, Harrison County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: geode is 2.5 cm fluorite is 0.4 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  26585 Time(s)

DSC02222.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2016 12:35    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

I have exhibited at the Cincinnati Ohio show for about the last 8 years or so. For those who have attended this show, it is one of the larger US Midwest regional shows with many hi quality displays. Some years I have one case, some years 2 cases. One of my favorite topics has been the large and colorful calcite on dolomite geodes of Washington County. These have always been well received and, for persistent collectors, the roadcut has been a steady producer of display quality examples. These pix are of my 2011 case and the second of my 2 cases for newer finds at the 2015 Cincinnati show.

2011Cincinnatirockshow 001.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite on Dolomite. Sphalerite and Barite
 Locality:
State Route 56 road cut, Canton, Washington County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: Variously sized geodes
 Description:
my 2011 case. Calcites on dolomite; also a sphalerite and Baryte example
By far the most common combination are the calcite on dolomite geodes, but nice quartz and dolomite geodes along with sphalerite crystals can also be found. Geodes with Baryte crystals are rare at this locality.
 Viewed:  26459 Time(s)

2011Cincinnatirockshow 001.jpg

2011Cincinnatirockshow 005.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: variously sized geodes
 Description:
my 2011 case. Calcites on dolomite also a sphalerite and Baryte geode
 Viewed:  26450 Time(s)

2011Cincinnatirockshow 005.jpg

2011Cincinnatirockshow 006.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
my 2011 case. Calcite on dolomite also a sphalerite and Baryte containing geode
 Viewed:  26474 Time(s)

2011Cincinnatirockshow 006.jpg

DSC03907.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite on dolomite. Sphalerite
 Locality:
 Description:
my 2015 case of new finds. Calcite on dolomite, also sphalerite
 Viewed:  26595 Time(s)

DSC03907.jpg

DSC03908.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
calcite on dolomite, also sphalerite
 Viewed:  26460 Time(s)

DSC03908.jpg

DSC03904.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
calcite on dolomite, also sphalerite
 Viewed:  26457 Time(s)

DSC03904.jpg

DSC03830.jpg
 Mineral: Sphalerite in Dolomite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: both geodes are about 5 cm; the sphalerite are about 3.5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  26435 Time(s)

DSC03830.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2016 08:33    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

In previous posts I have shown varieties of quartz in Indiana geodes. While common quartz crystal tips and microcrystalline quartz as the variety chalcedony are extremely common in geodes, finding an Indiana double cavity geode with a dividing septum with crystalline quartz in one cavity and microcrystalline quartz (chalcedony) in the other cavity seems exceptionally uncommon. One can only imagine under what formation conditions these 2 cavities with their respective crystals came to be.

DSC03635.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz and Quartz (variety chalcedony)
 Locality:
 Dimensions: geode is 13 cm x 6 cm. Each cavity is about 6 cm max dimension
 Description:
quartz and microcrystalline quartz (chalcedony)
the geode shows typical scattered rusty iron oxide staining and the lower cavity shows typical bluish-gray chalcedony
 Viewed:  26277 Time(s)

DSC03635.jpg

Index -> A mineralogical trip through the states of USA   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 3 of 7
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

Jump to: