We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 04:57

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Index -> A mineralogical trip through the states of USA

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 11:53    Post subject: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Indiana the "Hoosier State"

Calcite - Berry Materials quarry - North Vernon - Indiana - USA.jpg
 Description:
Doubly terminated Calcite
Berry Materials quarry, North Vernon, Indiana, USA
Specimen size: 4.2 × 6.5 cm.
Photo: Reference Specimens
 Viewed:  41109 Time(s)

Calcite - Berry Materials quarry - North Vernon - Indiana - USA.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

rweaver

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 13:15    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

from the Tate collection

DSCN0584.JPG
 Description:
Aragonite
Bloomington, Indiana
10.0cm x 8.0cm
 Viewed:  40972 Time(s)

DSCN0584.JPG

rweaver

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 13:17    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Former collection of Mary and Gardner Miller

DSCN0588.JPG
 Description:
Calcite
North Vernon, Indiana
5.2cm x 4.6cm
 Viewed:  40972 Time(s)

DSCN0588.JPG

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 15:15    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Fluorite on limestone, 7 cm across, May Quarry, Fort Wayne, Indiana

F049.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40968 Time(s)

F049.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2011 15:23    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

A nice Calcite from Indiana published by geoalfon in FMF Spain -> https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36888#36888

Calcite - Meshberger Stone Company Quarry_Columbus_Bartholomew Co_Indiana_USA.jpg
 Description:
Calcite
Meshberger Stone Company Quarry, Columbus, Bartholomew County, Indiana, USA
Specimen size: 10 x 8 cm.
Crystal size: 7 cm.
 Viewed:  39860 Time(s)

Calcite - Meshberger Stone Company Quarry_Columbus_Bartholomew Co_Indiana_USA.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2013 12:50    Post subject: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Calcite

Floater group of brown translucent to transparent calcite crystals with some breccia matrix attached. A classic of this Indiana locality. Note the uncommon rhombododecahedral habit, I believe {110} faces. It seems a garnet but I can swear it is not. Overall size: 70 mm x 40 mm x 35 mm. Major crystal size: 35 mm across. Ex Rick Russell collection.

Berry Materials Corp quarry, North Vernon Plant, NE edge of North Vernon, Jennings Co., Indiana, USA.

A very interesting post from Josele about the crystallography of this specimen is available at https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154048#154048 (in Spanish language).

Photos copyright © Carles Millan. Reproduction allowed as long as the author's name is cited. Creative Commons Attribution License - Some Rights Reserved.

My Mindat Gallery - My Personal Gallery

5454M-calcite2.jpg
 Description:
Calcite
Berry Materials Corp quarry, North Vernon Plant, NE edge of North Vernon, Jennings Co., Indiana, USA
70 mm x 40 mm x 35 mm
 Viewed:  37828 Time(s)

5454M-calcite2.jpg

5454M-calcite4.jpg
 Description:
Calcite
Berry Materials Corp quarry, North Vernon Plant, NE edge of North Vernon, Jennings Co., Indiana, USA
70 mm x 40 mm x 35 mm
 Viewed:  37830 Time(s)

5454M-calcite4.jpg

5454M-calcite3.jpg
 Description:
Calcite
70 mm x 40 mm x 35 mm

Close up view
 Viewed:  37820 Time(s)

5454M-calcite3.jpg

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2013 14:50    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Calcita. Meshberger Quarry, Indiana, Usa. 10x8 cm. Cristal de 7 cm

Hi,
Is what I see? This seems to be a hexagonal dipyramid {88.3} of calcite.
A good lot of fine minerals.
Roger.

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 19:58    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Roger Warin wrote:
Calcita. Meshberger Quarry, Indiana, Usa. 10x8 cm. Cristal de 7 cm

Hi,
Is what I see? This seems to be a hexagonal dipyramid {88.3} of calcite.
A good lot of fine minerals.
Roger.

Yes, the hexagonal dipyramid (88.3) is quite common on calcite from parts of Indiana and Ohio, including the Meshberger Quarry. Some very lovely crystals are found in these places, rarely large, but often quite transparent and a lovely honey color.

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 02:56    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

My two cents... you can see my interest focused in pyrites...

Regards

pirita rennselaer.JPG
 Description:
Pyrite
Rennselaer Quarry, Pleasant Ridge, Jasper Co., Indiana, USA
9 x 7 x 5 cm
Octahedron modified by cube. I have read Maggie Wilson telling on Mindat the pyrites from this find are often unstable. I am going to enjoy it quickly just in case...
 Viewed:  37339 Time(s)

pirita rennselaer.JPG

pirita rennselaer 2.JPG
 Description:
Pyrite
Rennselaer Quarry, Pleasant Ridge, Jasper Co., Indiana, USA
9 x 7 x 5 cm
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  37319 Time(s)

pirita rennselaer 2.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 08, 2016 17:02    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

This 7cm geode with a large 4cm spray of millerite was collected as a whole geode at the roadside in 2007.

195_9568.JPG
 Mineral: Millerite and Calcite on Quartz (variety chalcedony)
 Locality:
State Route 37 road cuts, Harrodsburg, Clear Creek Township, Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: Geode is 7 cm. The millerite spray is 4cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  32803 Time(s)

195_9568.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 08, 2016 17:35    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

This quartz geode containing a 5cm double terminated Baryte was collected in 2011. It is unusual as a few 3cm millerite strands penetrate the top center of the Baryte from the underlying quartz.

DSC02127.JPG
 Mineral: Barite on Quartz
 Locality:
State Route 37 road cuts, Harrodsburg, Clear Creek Township, Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: Barite 5cm, millerite 3cm, all on a 10 cm quartz geode
 Description:
Double terminated Baryte on quartz. The Baryte is 5 cm note the 3 cm millerite penetrating the Baryte crystal just to the right of center at the top of the crystal
 Viewed:  32704 Time(s)

DSC02127.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 09, 2016 06:42    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

The best Barytes in Midwest geodes come from Indiana. This example, found about 2002 includes a lustrous 2.5cm double terminated crystal as part of the crystal grouping.

DSC03850.JPG
 Mineral: Barite on Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: The barite grouping is 4.2cm the largest double terminated crystal is 2.5cm. The quartz geode is 10 cm.
 Description:
 Viewed:  32591 Time(s)

DSC03850.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 09, 2016 09:22    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Both fluorite and sphalerite are found in multiple locations in the sedimentary environment of Indiana. These egg yolk yellow fluorite cubes are small, being up to 1cm at this locality. They are commonly associated with small sphalerites, also being up to 1cm at this locality. The fluorite is strongly fluorescent and phosphorescent. The minerals are found in small fossil voids which are sometimes still recognizable as such. This is a very small locality, known only to some local collectors, but being from an easily worked roadcut they are easily collected. These and others were collected about 2005.

DSC03013.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite and Sphalerite
 Locality:
State Route 37, Bedford, Shawswick Township, Lawrence County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: Fluorite is 0.8 cm sphalerite is 1.0 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  32652 Time(s)

DSC03013.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 09, 2016 09:50    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

In my previous posting the locality somehow got changed from my typed wording. The CORRECT LOCALITY is: Indiana rte 37 NORTH of BEDFORD in LAWRENCE COUNTY INDIANA

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 09, 2016 10:08    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Bob Harman wrote:
In my previous posting the locality somehow got changed from my typed wording. The CORRECT LOCALITY is: Indiana rte 37 NORTH of BEDFORD in LAWRENCE COUNTY INDIANA

Fixed. Thanks for the warning.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 09, 2016 13:49    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Pyrite is found in numerous Indiana locations with collectible crystals found in several localities. One of the most prolific and collectible localities is the Harding Street Quarry on the South side of Indianapolis. The pyrite nodules range from 1cm to about 6cm in size and are brilliantly lustrous and stable. They occur in the shale overburden and are thought to be replaced clam fossils, but I have never seen one with any resemblance to a clam. The nodules in matrix are uncommon in relation to the stand alone nodules.
This quarry produces limestone which is crushed up and shipped right next door to a large coal fired electric generating facility for the city of Indianapolis. The limestone is mixed with water and used to clean the coal emissions.
On my last field trip there the nodules sparkled in the morning sunlight and everyone found about a bucket full......not a bad field trip for that day!!!!

DSC02054.JPG
 Locality:
Hanson Aggregates-Harding Street Quarry, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: largest pyrite nodule is 5cm.
 Description:
 Viewed:  32572 Time(s)

DSC02054.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 09, 2016 15:43    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

For years now I have narrowly focused my collection toward Indiana minerals. Over the years I have managed to collect or acquire nice examples of most, if not all, the collectible minerals of Indiana and many of these minerals are from multiple localities. Over the next several months or years, when I have time, I will be posting an extensive array of these minerals from many Indiana localities. I favor posting these in this thread covering the states of the USA rather than in the "my own collection" thread, but they could have been posted in the "my collection" thread as well.
Here is a compiled list of collectible Indiana minerals. It does not include crusts, most rusty iron oxides, and evaporite minerals formed during dry spells when the limestone or dolostone matrix dries out. It also does not include any minerals found in glacial erratics, gold in stream beds or meteorites. Also I don't profess that this list is complete so please add any minerals that I might have inadvertently omitted.

THE MINERALS: Quartz (and chalcedony), Calcite, Aragonite, Baryte, Celestine, Dolomite (and the various ferroan dolomites including Ankerite), Pyrite, Marcasite, Smythite (the only mineral first recognized and named in Indiana), Chalcopyrite, Millerite, Honnessite (Jamborite and other poorly recognized millerite oxidation minerals), Malachite, Strontianite, Gypsum (Selenite), Fluorite, Sphalerite, Goethite, Galena and ? Hematite.
Any that I missed ???

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 10, 2016 15:23    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

For CALCITE collectors, Indiana is a paradise. Hi quality collectible crystals are found in many quarries, vugs on roadcuts, and in geodes. Several quality examples have already been posted by others on this thread.
These 2 geodes are about the same size and both from the famous Harrodsburg roadcuts. But the crystals are quite different. The one on the left being a well formed rhombohedral crystal and the one on right being a similar size scalenohedral crystal with micromarcasite inclusions.

DSC02477.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite on Quartz
 Locality:
Harrodsburg area, Clear Creek Township, Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: geodes 6.0 cm, rhombohedral crystal 3.0 cm, scalenohedral crystal 3.5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  32289 Time(s)

DSC02477.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 11, 2016 12:40    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

ARAGONITE, a crystal polymorph of calcite, is fairly common from several Indiana localities altho not nearly so common as calcite. Occasionally well formed crystals may be found and this one surely qualifies as one of the best ever. It was collected about 1965 by a student mineral collector at Indiana University and passed thru several collectors/dealers until I acquired it about 2008. Since then I have displayed it several times and last year it was donated (along with 4 other specimens) to the Indiana State Museum in Indianapolis where it will go on permanent display with their other Indiana minerals. In addition, it recently was pictured in the Mineralogical Record Midwest collections supplement under the Indiana State Museum pages.

_DSC7727.jpg
 Mineral: Aragonite and Dolomite (veriety ferroan dolomite) on Quartz
 Locality:
Former State Route 37 road cuts, Bloomington (North), Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: Aragonite is 7 cm max dimension
 Description:
Route 37 road cut North of Bloomington, Monroe County
 Viewed:  32146 Time(s)

_DSC7727.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 12, 2016 09:41    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

MARCASITE, like pyrite, is commonly found in Indiana. It often occurs in quarries and as inclusions in calcite and Baryte in geodes. When occurring in geodes it may not be able to be differentiated from SMYTHITE, a related iron sulfide. In quarries the crystals are small but occasionally well formed. These examples are both from a quarry near the town of Rensselaer in Jasper County; very close to the well known Marcasite locality in Pleasant Ridge Quarry.

One day quarry management called me at work to tell me they a blasted and there was something for me to see. In the East wall of the quarry, facing West, the blast had opened a huge void. When I arrived there, in late afternoon everything was sparkling in the setting sunlight. I climbed a 10 foot ladder into the void and everywhere was tiny sparkling crystals on limestone plates looking quite like the gills of a shark. These are 2 examples from that void collected about 1985.

DSC03916.jpg
 Mineral: Marcasite
 Locality:
Rensselaer Quarry, Rensselaer, Marion Township, Jasper County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: each individual crystal is up to 3 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  32073 Time(s)

DSC03916.jpg

DSC03913.jpg
 Mineral: Marcasite
 Locality:
Rensselaer Quarry, Rensselaer, Marion Township, Jasper County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: each individual crystal is up to 3 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  32066 Time(s)

DSC03913.jpg

Index -> A mineralogical trip through the states of USA   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 7
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

Jump to: