We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)
11 Apr-22:02:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Apr-14:59:55 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
10 Apr-09:05:31 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-08:08:58 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Apr-07:54:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-07:44:49 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
10 Apr-05:49:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:46:01 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:38:13 Re: collection of carles millan (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 16, 2024 08:05

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The Museums of Natural History - Mineralogy and its role in the modern society

Index -> Worlwide Museums & Visits to Museums and private collections

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 06:06    Post subject: The Museums of Natural History - Mineralogy and its role in the modern society  

In reading the current thread "Natural History Museum London" ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1577 ) it occurred to me that the reality is that all Museum have their own problems and probably we, the visitors, are unaware of them so we tend to ignore them.

I consider the role of Museums extremely important in promoting mineralogy, by attracting new generations of collectors and making the hobby attractive to them, but in fact we mostly ignore almost everything not directly related to the exhibits; such as the philosophies, the objectives and in some way the daily lives of the Museums and their curators. So I wonder if I can start with this post a new topic that will catch the interest of curators and FMFers in order to try to create a closer community between Mineral Museums and the rest of the society.

To start the discussion, a first question: should Museums promote mostly entertainment to attract more visitors, or should they instead promote only scientific research and ignore the visitors, or should there be a combination of both?

Jordi

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2011 13:10    Post subject: Re: The Museums of Natural History - Mineralogy and its role in the modern society  

Natural history museums should represent repositories of scientifically and culturally valuable objects, which, hopefully, are used for study and research, ultimately resulting in publication of knowledge into the public domain. To justify the expenditure of public funds (or to get private donors to shell out large chunks of cash) necessary to support these institutions, there needs to be an appreciation of their value and worth to society amongst the general population. To get people interested in science there needs to be a "hook." The young seem to be naturally curious about the world around them, and for kids this hook is often something like a pretty rock or a fascinating bug. For me, it was seeing the Hawaiian volcanoes up close when I was 10 years old.

The study of science requires intellectual discipline and hard work, but once hooked, this "hard work" can become far more entertaining than other easier diversions such as TV or video games. Unfortunately, much of society never gets hooked, perhaps because the bait is becoming increasingly absent from modern educational curricula. So how does one get folks through the doors at Natural history museums these days? There seems to be a trend among many toward becoming institutions of light-weight entertainment to the exclusion of real science, perhaps because the museum management sees the attending public as increasingly less interested in true science.

In my mind, a museum should be a balance between entertainment and real science. Unfortunately, what I find myself experiencing at many natural history museums these days is analogous to eating a meal of nothing but candy bars - tastes real good for a minute or two but offers no nutritional substance.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 10:52    Post subject: Re: The Museums of Natural History - Mineralogy and its role in the modern society  

In -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=16456#16456 Elise wrote:

Hoping this might also be apropos to the discussion on mineral museums: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1580

Well, my idea was to start a kind of space of discussion where visitors, curators, experts, etectera... could explain their thoughs to do the Museums more familiar to us.
In some way, proposing to avoid the idea that the Museums are something alien to us, instead an important part of our hobby to which we can join and participate, so please Elise re-write your interesting text and publish here too!

Jordi

Elise

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 12:16    Post subject: Re: The Museums of Natural History - Mineralogy and its role in the modern society  

Jesse Fisher wrote:
Natural history museums should represent repositories of scientifically and culturally valuable objects, which, hopefully, are used for study and research, ultimately resulting in publication of knowledge into the public domain.....

I am so thrilled that Jordi started this separate thread. After lurking for a very long time, I joined FMF to learn more about minerals as an natural extension of my gemological studies, but also because I found it to be a very valuable resource for curating. Four years ago a curator told me that there is no handbook for us, we all learn from each other and so build a knowledge pool (and some are lucky to study under other curators such as in Carl Francis' program at Harvard). What I've found is that that knowledge pool is vast and deep amongst the private mineral collectors - high and low - and much is shared from that pool here on FMF with thankfully strict oversight. Private collections can be museums themselves, albeit with a smaller audience, but with many of the curating hurdles worked out successfully and which include inspiring innovations as well.

Many of my posts have been in relation to curating and I have a long list of bookmarked threads I've either participated in or merely just watched; these have become quite a resource. Not only that, knowing some FMF members before joining and having met many more at the latest Tucson events (and gaining many new friends), I feel so very fortunate to be involved with such a group of wonderful, generous people!

In the original thread which launched this current topic, the writer mentioned several immediate impressions of the museum which tainted his experience of the place, followed by the curator and other's quick responses to that. I guess in what I do, that very experience is what I fear....all the hard work in the face of limitations or compromise which overshadow the aspects one had hoped would shine through despite it all.

Jesse's posting above very eloquently reflects my own feeling and personal mission statement and is similar to what I would have written here when Jordi first opened the thread. I would also like to point to two other references in the form of John White's two-part editorial "Unappreciated Gifts" (MinRec July-Aug, Sept-Oct 1974 with Nov-Dec responses to the editorial) and Mark's thread: The role of Museums and Academic Institutions and their fund https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=10968&highlight=#10968

Mineral museums are as varied as mineral forms, with vast differences in funding, support and resources. Our own is small and without an official curatorial position (I am officially employed as a "temp prof"...your guess is as good as mine); I am honored to work closely with my friend, the senior defacto curator, Dr. William A. Bassett who first founded the museum 25 years ago. I look forward to the future with eager determination....

Best wishes,
Elise

PS: Perhaps in addition to Jordi's initial question and Jesse's response, this thread might also gather links to other FMF threads which would benefit mineral museums (or private collectors) without deflecting those discussions off their appropriate locations on the forum. Somewhere back in history, I had asked what people would want to see on specimen labels and informational cards (or rather what they find irritating). We also had threads going about lighting and sensitive minerals: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=16456#16456 and https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=9759&highlight=#9759
PSS: Jordi you posted last while I was writing this...we are on the same wavelength!

Greg Toomey

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 21:33    Post subject: Re: The Museums of Natural History - Mineralogy and its role in the modern society  

I believe that Jesse Fisher very succinctly and accurately expressed the ideals of what museums should be in society, and I agree with him 100%. The problem is how these ideals can be relevant to a society at large that is increasingly obtaining its knowledge via the internet, ipods, interactive games, television, movies, et al.

I do know for a fact in the United States right now there is a very vocal "slash and burn" mentality when it comes to funding anything that doesn't cover a very limited scope of base human fears, of which natural history museums and mineralogical knowledge (unless it is petroluem-based) are not part of the funding equation. Add to this a still sluggish economy and many museums are on a ledge - they may not fall but just being there pushes them further back in the public's mind. Most politicians do care that they have X Y Z museums in their district, but the vitality and condition of the institutions are of no great importance, which results in a struggle for the institution to survive and the museum becomes nothing more than a facade reminiscent of a movie set. I realize political trends and economic conditions come and go, but when museums go they are gone. We must save them now - we can't wait for "times to change."

As for the contibutions from the powerful and wealthy, most donor money in the United States seem to go to university medical centers, law buildings, scholarships and college athletics where the donor's name is prominently displayed ensuring (at least for a few years) an immortality of sorts. Over 100 years ago, "gentleman scientists" and their money funded a lot of natural history museums. The money for natural history museums today needs to come from both the wealthy and the public at large - natural history museums must appeal to the wealthy patron's sense of commitment to education while being an exciting and relevant place for the public to experience and learn.

The public, both adults and children, need something that can entertain and enlighten them to mineralalogy. I recently came across, online, a program at the Children's Museum in Bridgewater, New Jersey, entitled "Rocks, Minerals and Dinosaurs." It sparked a creative thought in my brain about connecting children's fascination with dinosaurs to their fascination with minerals, such as explaining the minerals that were around during the Mesozoic era, and the minerals that were forming during that time. Maybe throw in some "fun" animation of dinosaurs playing ballgames with zircon crystals as balls? I know the animation idea may sound lame and even absurd, but ideas need to be tossed around. Planetariums made money for years with laser shows, allowing them to update their facilities and remain relevant and exciting. What about mineral sales and auctions during special dinosaur exhibits and programs? Giant screen computer-generated action films showing the often violent formation of our planet? Present ideas to movie industry animators - a hit film can do wonders for its subject. Use all forms of the media to exploit these events. At the time laser shows started, I'm certain there was a reluctance among many planetarium professionals to pursue such trivialities such as light shows for the teenagers. Natural history museums need to move forward, unafraid, and accomplish the same: finding ways to raise money in order to retain their scientific relevance while using funds to update their public display cases and lighting so they don't become paragraphs in history books, like the "curiousity cabinets" and "gentleman scientists" of centuries ago.

I'll close with a paraphrase: "If you update it and make it exciting, they will come."

Greg

Index -> Worlwide Museums & Visits to Museums and private collections   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: