We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 05:04

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2008
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2008 14:33    Post subject: Tucson Show 2008 - (18)  

Barcelona 02/19/2008

The last batch of photos, this time not related with "American Treasures" but with other great specimens exhibited on the Show.

More to come...

Tucson 2008 - Fluorapatite Sapo Mine.jpg
 Description:
At Lavra do Sapo in 2007 was mined the best Fluorapatite pocket (caldeirão ) never found in Brazil. A lot of specimens, great size, shape, color, luster, and a lot of unusual forms. The happy dealers who bought this pocket, Luis Menezes and Frank Melanson, offered in a show case the "really best" of this find.
 Viewed:  14536 Time(s)

Tucson 2008 - Fluorapatite Sapo Mine.jpg

Tucson 2008 - Fluorapatite The tree.jpg
 Description:
"The tree" from the same fantastic find.
 Viewed:  14528 Time(s)

Tucson 2008 - Fluorapatite The tree.jpg

Tucson 2008 - Geocronite.jpg
 Description:
Really huge Geocronite! Between all the American Treasures this enormous Italian Geocronite looks humble compared to all these beauties, but for me it is the ugly hidden treasure of this year. Yes, it is repaired, yes, it is not colorful, but a rare specie in such a huge size and sharp crystal form...
 Viewed:  14544 Time(s)

Tucson 2008 - Geocronite.jpg

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2008 08:50    Post subject: Tucson Show 2008 - (19 and final)  

Barcelona 2/21/2008

This will be my last post concerning Tucson 2008. As a conclusion I agree absolutely that this was the Show where more great specimens was joined together than in all Tucson's history (and probably at all mineralogy's history), the number and quality of outstanding specimens was enormous, not only in the display cases at the Main Show but also in the different shows, offered by dealers.

At this point several different possibilities comes to mind:
Is it that there is, just now, a kind of bonanza where great specimens come out in large numbers?
Is it that the top specimens are not sold as easily as before?
Is it that there are too many and in consequence the dealers exhibit them publically?
The recycling of several great collections has brought to the market a very large amount of great specimens that they need a little bit more time to be digested?

I heard a lot of discussion about these facts as well about the extremely high price that the 'top' (and other not really 'top') specimens have.
I suggest to use this link to visit a thread on our Forum named "Tucson 2008, questionable prices?" were this topic is now being strongly debated with a lot of different opinions:

https://www.fabreminerals.com/forum/Message-Board/viewtopic.php?t=182

Tucson is Tucson and I think that nothing will change this fact, even if the prices might look too high, even if the novelties are not too common (Chinese Calcites, Wulfenites from Ojuela, Shattuckites from Kaokoveld, Fluorites from Clay Center, Celestines from Torà, Milpillas Azurites and Plancheites and few others), and also even if the city seems to becomes crazy during the Show, Tucson will remain as the 'Mecca' of the world's mineralogy and next year all of us, poor addicts, we will be back there to get our mineral doses.

See you in Tucson 2009!

PS: Joan Rosell proved to have an excelent eye. His favorite specimen, a cute Eudidymite mentioned on his previous post:
https://www.fabreminerals.com/forum/Message-Board/viewtopic.php?p=711#711
was adquired later by the famous Smithsonian Museum from Washington DC.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2008 05:24    Post subject: Tucson Show 2008 - (20-addenda)  

I copied here a topic published by Pete Modreski on an other place of this forum:

https://www.fabreminerals.com/forum/Message-Board/viewtopic.php?p=902#902

because it supply a lot of images and infos of the last edition of Tucson 2008.
I think that is a great complement to our previous infos. Thanks Pete!

I've been meaning to share with all of you links to digital pictures I took in Tucson. Below are links to three separate "aol picture albums", which I think should work for anyone; just paste in each of these (rather long) url links into your internet browser, and the "aol pictures view share" page should open up. (Make sure you get the whole url line into your browser url as one intact line of characters.) There, you do not need to register or log in or anything, just click on "View album as guest". You will have a choice to manually "view" all the pictures, or to click on "slide show" which will scroll through them all at a default speed of 5 seconds per slide.

The first of the three albums is of the Tucson mineral show and minerals. The second, for those interested in a little diversification, is an album of southwest U.S. scenery and nature, taken in the mountains around Tucson and on my driving trip from Denver to there and back. The third, very short album (just four pictures) is of Jordi Fabre himself and his room at the Inn Suites motel in Tucson (there is just one picture of Jordi included in the first album, too). Please let me know if any of this does not work.

Best wishes to all,
Pete Modreski

My Tucson Show slideshow:
https://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewShare.do?shareInfo=esv4e%2b9w77lUeivWfnm7tdZgUpZnIMVQRL9HkbMLqP9WGd%2bBXiXp6w%3d%3d

Scenery show to Tucson and back:
https://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewShare.do?shareInfo=esv4e%2b9w77lUeivWfnm7tWDwZ0FOh55crPguh7ZU2elWGd%2bBXiXp6w%3d%3d

Here's Jordi ! :
https://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewShare.do?shareInfo=esv4e%2b9w77lUeivWfnm7tbfagkbOC7Z9ACDOksaolSdWGd%2bBXiXp6w%3d%3d

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: