We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 11:54

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tracy's favorite specimens
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Index -> Women's Private Collections

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tracy

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 19:13    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Hi Alfredo -

I defer to the experts to suggest possible explanations as to where the grey/black color comes from. Now my curiosity is piqued too. :-) All I can say is I think it's really really cool, and I'm glad you like it! If you move it around (tilt, turn, etc) in the light it sort of shimmers. I will ask the seller too if he knows more about it because from his item description I'm guessing he's seen others.

- Tracy

Tracy

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2009 16:41    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Happy Boxing Day to all! Hope those who celebrate Christmas had a great day yesterday.

oh WOW am I having fun learning this camera! I've spent the past 2 days testing it out taking photos for my catalogue. Here are a few pics of some recently acquired treasures, brought to me from the Munich Show by John White. I have another set, hopefully to follow tonight or tomorrow.

Things I have to work on next: 1) lighting (I took all photos with a full-spectrum lamp and a flashlight for backlighting/highlighting, can try other light sources), 2) Photoshop for better backgrounds (to come) 3) getting better at taking white or colorless photos (I think the fluorapophyllite isn't properly captured, though I'm happy with the close-up shots) and 4) making sure that my specimens are clean of cotton fibers before I photograph them (oops!)...

Carles, I took about 25 images of each specimen, like you suggested. It takes a lot of time to pick the right ones out of these! Do you then save all images, or just the ones you like best?

And - Alfredo, I have no answer for you on why the monochromatic apophyllite ended up grey-black. It will remain a mystery.

Enjoy...

- Tracy

qznep1.jpg
 Description:
Quartz with Chlorite inclusions from Ganesh Himal, Central Nepal, Nepal. Aprrox. 32 x 27 x 22 mm.
 Viewed:  26752 Time(s)

qznep1.jpg

karibJ2.jpg
 Description:
Karibibite on Lollingite matrix from Oumlil Est Quarry, Bou Azzer area, Morocco. Approx 50 x 42 x 30 mm, colected in 2006
 Viewed:  26469 Time(s)

karibJ2.jpg

karibcJ2.jpg
 Description:
Close up of karibibite crystals
 Viewed:  26416 Time(s)

karibcJ2.jpg

apopJ1.jpg
 Description:
Two large, opaque fluorapophyllite crystals (and a third, smaller one) stuck together at a strange angle with smalller crystals attached and covered by scattered stilbite bowties about 2 mm long. From Jalgaon, Maharashtra, India. Approx. 92 x 36 x 30 mm.
 Viewed:  26580 Time(s)

apopJ1.jpg

apopJ3.jpg
 Description:
View from a different angle, with the two main crystals "switching places" and the whole piece rotated to the other side
 Viewed:  26469 Time(s)

apopJ3.jpg

apopJc2.jpg
 Description:
Smaller, sharp and water-clear crystal fluorapophyllites where the smaller crystal meets one of the two main ones. A little stilbite bowtie is hiding among the points (just above the center of the photo and fuzzy-looking).
 Viewed:  26500 Time(s)

apopJc2.jpg

apopJc1.jpg
 Description:
Cluster of stilbites near the point where the two large fluorapophyllite crystals intersect
 Viewed:  26577 Time(s)

apopJc1.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2009 17:15    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Tracy wrote:
Carles, I took about 25 images of each specimen, like you suggested. It takes a lot of time to pick the right ones out of these! Do you then save all images, or just the ones you like best?

Hi Tracy!

Yes, you see, it takes much longer to choose the best photos than shooting them. And when you decide to process the images with a graphics editor, still longer. It's easy to take 25 shots in just a couple of minutes, but between one and two hours might be needed to have the whole task done. Don't get disappointed.

I think your last photos are good but with a little more time and experience (and especially a lot of patience) I'm sure you're going to improve your technique a lot.

Tracy, don't keep all the images! It is no sense. Just the ones you select, usually 3 or 4, not more. Forget and delete the others.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2009 17:16    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Tracy wrote:
Alfredo, I have no answer for you on why the monochromatic apophyllite ended up grey-black...

In India the black Apophyllites-(KF) owe their color to inclusions of Julgoldite-(Fe). Of course I can't be sure that an Apophyllite-(KF) from Murdockville, Quebec, Canada should have the same related especies than one from India, it is just one more possibility....

Apophyllite-KF with Julgoldite-Fe.jpg
 Description:
Apophyllite-(KF) with Julgoldite-(Fe)
Jalgaon, Maharashtra, India
Mined about 2000
Specimen size: 20 × 13 × 5 cm
Main crystal size: 1.4 × 0.5 cm
Former Jan Buma collection
Photo: Reference Specimens -> http://www.fabreminerals.com/specimens/RSBUM-buma-notable-specimens.php#JV58F2
 Viewed:  26687 Time(s)

Apophyllite-KF with Julgoldite-Fe.jpg

Tracy

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2009 17:31    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Carles, thanks for your comments. I'm not disappointed at all - I just have to "relearn" basics like depth of field (and how to apply them to a digital camera I used to use an SLR regularly as a teenager), test the limits of the camera (and identify its strengths), etc. I'm glad you think my photos are good though I fully acknowledge I can still do better.

The only disappointment, so to speak, is that given it is so time-consuming I don't know whether I'll have many opportunities to my collection thread, even though I would like to. This weekend and next will be the first time in months that I have stopped doing work and instead am able to play. I will keep trying,...

Thanks for the suggestion Jordi. Nobody else has suggested any explanations, so who knows? :-)

Off to update my catalogue now, so that I can put the specimens in their rightful places in my collection.

- Tracy

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2009 00:08    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Thanks for that explanation, Jordi. Julgoldite would certainly be compatible with the colour and environment. That was a nice piece, Tracy, and I've still not seen another one.

Tracy

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2010 20:42    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Thanks Alfredo. I like it a lot.

Another set of photos...more experimenting with the camera. Hope you all had a good New Year celebration.

- Tracy

erythJ9.jpg
 Description:
Erythrite crystals on matrix from Bou Azzer area, near Ouarzazate, Morocco. 5.7 x 4.7 x 4.4 cm. From the 2009 Munich show.
 Viewed:  26458 Time(s)

erythJ9.jpg

erythJ_cr3.jpg
 Description:
Close-up of erythrite crystals.
 Viewed:  26446 Time(s)

erythJ_cr3.jpg

roseJ1.jpg
 Description:
Roselite on pink calcite from Bou Azzer area, near Ouarzazate, Morrocco. 6.1 x 4.3 x 3.6 specimen. From the 2009 Munich show.
 Viewed:  26419 Time(s)

roseJ1.jpg

scephf3.jpg
 Description:
Quartz "half-scepter" with smoky and amethyst phantoms, from Goboboseb, Namibia, 6.2 x 2.3 x 1.9 cm. Ex. C. Key Collection. I'm following John's "scepters" thread trying to figure out what conditions would exist to create a crystal like this...
 Viewed:  26421 Time(s)

scephf3.jpg

scephf4.jpg
 Description:
Same "half-scepter" from the other side.
 Viewed:  26342 Time(s)

scephf4.jpg

qzfla2.jpg
 Description:
Quartz with red hematite inclusions, Goboboseb, Namibia. 2.5 x 1.3 x 1.0 cm. Ex. C. Key Collection.
 Viewed:  26697 Time(s)

qzfla2.jpg

cinXXJ1.jpg
 Description:
Cinnabar on dolomite matrix with scattered small quartz crystals, from Fenghuang, Hunan Province, China. 4.7 x 3.3 x 1.0 cm
 Viewed:  26602 Time(s)

cinXXJ1.jpg

cinxlJ2.jpg
 Description:
A close-up of the large crystal at the end of the specimen, 0.9 cm across.
 Viewed:  26957 Time(s)

cinxlJ2.jpg

cinxlJ3.jpg
 Description:
Back side of crystal. Not sure about the mineral attached to its edge, quartz maybe?
 Viewed:  26336 Time(s)

cinxlJ3.jpg

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 06:51    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Wow, Tracy, I am really impressed with the quality of your photos, especially the close-ups of individual crystals like the cinnabars. I suspect that the crystal on the one cinnabar is a carbonate, probably calcite.

Tracy

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 12:35    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Thanks John for the compliment! Believe it or not my first thought was calcite, but then I reasoned that since there were quartzes on the specimen it might have been a quartz even if it didn't look like one. Glad you like the pics (I think I'm getting better) and thanks for clarifying - now off to order Photoshop! :)

- Tracy

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 13:33    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Tracy wrote:
I think I'm getting better

Yes, Tracy, you are getting better. The cinnabar close-ups are rather good although it seems to me you enabled the flash when taking the picture cinxlJ2.jpg, since the white matrix at the bottom looks burned. And the full cinnabar photo would have been much better with a little more light.

The erythrite... This is a hard to photograph mineral. But perhaps with a better light source and a bit of software processing you might get somewhat better photos. If your new camera has this function, try also to set the clarity (or exposure compensation) up.

Good luck!

Tracy

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 14:07    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Thanks Carles. I'm not sure whether or not I used the flash in XJ2 because I tried all different combinations of lighting, and color-adjusting with Canon software. I used that photo because it seemed the closest to "natural." My camera does come with light compensation functions but I have to read the section of the manual, and experiment more, before I can claim to understand it (I tested on the cinnabar just now but the pics looked worse than the one I posted). I also need a proper staging area! - all the improvisation I'm trying to do gets annoying. :-/

...If each group of photos is the same or better than the one before, then I am mastering my camera, and I am content. Thanks again for the feedback, it is most helpful (and perhaps to other readers too).

- Tracy

zanthal

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 21:22    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

I didn't bother to get this involved with the photography with my collection ... namely because it isn't all that remarkable yet.

But if you're looking to take close up high quality photos that bring out all the detail you're looking to show, I would make a "light box" big enough to house the largest of the samples you're looking to photograph.

A shoe box with one side cut out, and lined with bright white printer paper, along with a good bright soft light shining directly from above will reflect the light around the exterior of the whole sample and eliminate shadow. I'd still recommend using the flash, but with this much extra light you can experiment with leaving the flash off and making brightness adjustments with Photoshop (under the pretty safe assumption you're taking digital photos).

Any good camera shop will sell collapsible light boxes also, if that all sounds like too much work.

Back on topic, that is a nice collection. That Quartz point with the red hematite inclusions have an interesting pattern.

Gail

PostPosted: May 28, 2011 14:53    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Tracy, how are you??? Anything new to add?

Tracy

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2011 14:01    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Hi Gail - sorry, didn't mean to be rude by not answering sooner. Have been struggling to stay above water in my job for about a year now, and free time has been quite limited. The only reason I can answer you today is because I forced myself to have a day of rest and fun! It'll be right back to the grind tomorrow.

Indeed I have other specimens to share, just short on time to photograph them. Maybe things will ease up over the summer - if so I will post some new images.

Hope all is well with you.

- Tracy

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2017 10:32    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Second thread of this section of Women's Private Collections arriving to the 100.000 readings. Congratulations Tracy!

👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌

Index -> Women's Private Collections   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 4 of 4
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

Jump to: