We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 18:50

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Minerales y Minas de España by Miguel Calvo (Minerals and Mines of Spain)

Index -> Mineralogical Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 02:04    Post subject: Minerales y Minas de España by Miguel Calvo (Minerals and Mines of Spain)  

It is a great honor to present here today a project what is undoubtedly the best and most complete group of reference books on minerals of Spain:

Minerales y Minas de España by Miguel Calvo (in Spanish language)

The author is a well-known Spanish professor at the University of Zaragoza, who has devoted himself to Spanish mineralogy. I guess he is following the steps of Salvador Calderon, who published Minerales de España at the beginning of the 20th century, becoming the precursor and the top authority of the Spanish mineralogy. From this point of view, his project can be considered as a giant update of Calderon’s work, using the modern sources of information and with the scientific rigor Miguel Calvo is known for (certainly I have “experienced” his corrections on the Spanish Forum and I can say that his honest search for the mineralogical truth is beyond any doubt).

From the whole project five volumes have been published to date: Elements, Sulfides and Sulphosalts, Halides, Oxides and Hydroxides and the most recent one, Carbonates, Nitrates and Borates. The contents include a complete outlook of the Spanish species, mines and outcrops, with all the relevant references and a great amount of historical aspects concerning Spanish mining from ancient times to the present. Outstanding localities like Navajún, Eugui, Riotinto, well-known Spanish main species such as aragonite, pyrite, fluorite or goethite but one can find as well thousands of less known localities, rare species and so on.

I would dare to affirm that any Department of Mineralogy with focus on Spanish species should have the whole work. Of course, so should museums, institutions and associations related to mineralogy, even connoisseurs and quality collectors. On the other hand, it is necessary to note that his contribution is completely selfless, since the profits go to pay the edition and are managed by a foundation (so we can present the book here, not being FMF a commercial site though).

More information here (in Spanish language) and within FMF also for Spanish readers.

To order the books here you have the contact details:

José Navas
Phone: 0034-913367038
Email address: jose.navas@upm.es

Best regards

tomo 5.jpg
 Description:
Cover of the 5th volume
 Viewed:  19161 Time(s)

tomo 5.jpg

cubiertas tomos.jpg
 Description:
Covers of the five volumes
 Viewed:  19166 Time(s)

cubiertas tomos.jpg

oxidos.jpg
 Description:
Cover of the 4th volume
 Viewed:  19203 Time(s)

oxidos.jpg

impresión.jpg
 Description:
Printing process of the 5th volume (Carbonates)
 Viewed:  19091 Time(s)

impresión.jpg

impresion 2.jpg
 Description:
Pictures of the most representative minerals during the printing process
 Viewed:  19183 Time(s)

impresion 2.jpg

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 11:44    Post subject: Re: Minerales y Minas de España by Miguel Calvo (Minerals and mines of Spain)  

Everything said by Antonio related with the "Minerales y Minas de España" project is real. These books deserve to figure in the libraries of all Museums and Institutions related with the mineralogy as well as at the homes of everybody seriously interested for the minerals and mines of Spain.

Author Miguel Calvo.jpg
 Description:
The author Miguel Calvo signing up the last issue of the "Minerales y Minas de España" in the School of Mines of Madrid, Spain.

Photo: Jonathan Carral
 Viewed:  19063 Time(s)

Author Miguel Calvo.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 17:17    Post subject: Re: Minerales y Minas de España by Miguel Calvo (Minerals and Mines of Spain)  

I second what Antonio and Jordi wrote. I've seen the Oxide volume and it certainly sets a very high standard for other topographic mineralogies to live up to! If only the rest of the world were covered in as much detail and meticulous reliability. We need to clone Miguel and put his duplicate personae to work in several other countries in the world.

keith compton

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2015 22:38    Post subject: Re: Minerales y Minas de España by Miguel Calvo (Minerals and Mines of Spain)  

Hi

I have just received my copies of the 7 volumes in this series.
While I do not read or speak Spanish, the photos are good and locality info is great. Not too hard for me to translate where necessary.

All I can say is that if you are at interested in Spanish minerals, whether for research or simply to get a little more info on specimens in your collection, then these books are for you, There are loads of external references to articles and related materials.
The only downside for me is that there are not enough photos, but hey, there is a lot of information here and they appear to be well researched, and I'll need to get myself a Spanish/English dictionary!!
I can certainly recommend the volumes.

Cheers
Keith

Index -> Mineralogical Literature   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: