We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 00:49

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2012 17:54    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012 - The develop of the Show  

Sainte Marie wrote:
A super foto serie, with unforgetable details which makes Ste. Marie so unique.
Thanks Jordi.

Thank you to Sainte Marie for the good management!

Until now I have been concentrated on infos about the organisation of the Show, as that seems to have been what most attendees were interested in, but let’s not forget about minerals where the ‘what is new’ in Ste. Marie was (as usual in the last times) a little bit limited and, in my opinion, was almost all focused on Morocco.

It was seen throughout the Show hundreds of specimens of attractive Barytes from a classic locality (see Baryte Specimen Localities) that has not produced specimens for many years. At the moment this Baryte mine is given two names: Ouichane (or Mount Ouichane) or Sidi Lahcen, but what is clear is that it is the region of Ségangane, near Nador. As it has recently produced a huge number of specimens it is very likely that it will continue to do so in the future as, just as people told me years ago, it is a very rich source. Most of what was seen during Ste Marie was either low quality or of poor color, but during the first moments of the show, and discreetly afterwards, some exceptional specimens changed hands ;-)

Another new find, also from Morocco, was the new specimens from the Bou Nahas (or Afrou, according to other people) Mine that is next to the classic locality of Oumjrane, and they are a great mix: good Baryte, excellent Chalcopyrite and Marcasite (and not ‘Arsenopyrite’, which they were sold as), and also Pyrite, Quartz and Siderite, all of which are associated with each other making them interesting specimens.

There was a third Moroccan novelty at Ste Marie, but I ask for your patience as I do not want to talk about it until the results of analysis are available.

Clearly there were other new finds, but not many as most were known about before the Ste Marie show. To name some: from China, Danalites, Boracites, Löllingites, and new Quartz specimens that have an identical form the ones from Dalnegorsk that are (incorrectly) called "Quartz beta" and from Tanzania, transparent Dravites from Mwajanga, Komolo, and green Tremolites, a little bit transparent, from Merelani.

I will publish photos of some of these novelties as soon as I can, please be patient. This topic is still young and I know that several FMFers were in Ste Marie and probably will also publish their photos and comments. As this show is in a rather isolated area people generally stay in private or rural homes where there is no Internet access, so we have to wait until they get home before they can post on the site or publish information about the show.

When I see that the general comments have ended, I will publish my overall opinion on this, the 49th Ste Marie Show, and I can tell you already that it will be very positive. In the interim, while we wait for the photos of the new finds to be available, here are few more shots of the event.
(All photos from: Jordi Deusedes)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (14).jpg
 Description:
Another improvement of the Fair is that thanks to the large number of volunteers were able to achieve targets such as keep empty the parking area in front of the Fair for what was needed (disabled, minivans of the fair, contingencies...) and as a plus, the fence results a kind of display for upcoming shows...
 Viewed:  42886 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (14).jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (1).jpg
 Description:
FMF breaks barriers and also in Ste. Marie is a member of the worldwide´s press! ;-)
 Viewed:  42907 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (1).jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (13).jpg
 Description:
There was no lack of visitors across the ocean, here are the Simonoffs. As it is well known, Jessica Simonoff has written several articles about minerals and mineralogy, which for her age (she is the small lady in the photo) is quite amazing.
 Viewed:  42912 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (13).jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (3).jpg
 Description:
The "Taverne du Mineur" (The Miner's Tavern) is an institution in Sainte Marie. I always remember seeing it there, just front the entrance of the Fair, and I and the Show visitors we eaten there a geological number of times ;-)

In its walls are hung a series of pictures that explains briefly the long history of Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines and its relation with the minerals. This is the first of the series...
 Viewed:  42865 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (3).jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (4).jpg
 Description:
...this is the second...
 Viewed:  42882 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (4).jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (5).jpg
 Description:
...the third...
 Viewed:  42923 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (5).jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (6).jpg
 Description:
...the forth...
 Viewed:  42887 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (6).jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (7).jpg
 Description:
...and the fifth and last.
 Viewed:  42889 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (7).jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (8).jpg
 Description:
here the reproduction of an old engraving
 Viewed:  42916 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (8).jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (2).jpg
 Description:
and a historical photo of old miners with their parade clothes
 Viewed:  42886 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (2).jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (10).jpg
 Description:
and this is the classic "Taverne du Mineur" from outside.
 Viewed:  42891 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (10).jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2012 11:22    Post subject: Re: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012  

A lot of photos of a kind of "Ste. Marie mineralogical miscellanea" have been downloaded by Juan María Pérez in the FMF-Spanish side. So, if you want to see all kind of minerals displayed at Ste. Marie 2012, go ahead and use: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012 - Spanish side

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2012 06:33    Post subject: Re: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012  

Another interesting news from Morocco are vanadinites on black sparkly Descloizite-Mottramite, but I have to confirm that by some analyzes. I will try to post here some photos of the specimens from this find, here is only one snap-shot. Some of them are big and really spectacular!

BTW it was great to see you all in SMAM!
Best!

538493_423866814303263_1113119232_n.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  42239 Time(s)

538493_423866814303263_1113119232_n.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2012 07:01    Post subject: Re: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
...There was a third Moroccan novelty at Ste Marie, but I ask for your patience as I do not want to talk about it until the results of analysis are available.

Tomasz Praszkier wrote:
Another interesting news from Morocco are vanadinites on black sparkly Descloizite-Mottramite, but I have to confirm that by some analyzes. I will try to post here some photos of the specimens from this find, here is only one snap-shot. Some of them are big and really spectacular!

BTW it was great to see you all in SMAM!
Best!

Right Tomasz, this is the "third Moroccan novelty...", ha, ha!! ;-)

The first to get the analysis it shall publish it here! ;-) ;-)

Nice to see you in Ste. Marie too...

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2012 12:04    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012 - The Novelties  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
...the ‘what is new’ in Ste. Marie was (as usual in the last times) a little bit limited and, in my opinion, was almost all focused on Morocco.

It was seen throughout the Show hundreds of specimens of attractive Barytes from a classic locality (see Baryte Specimen Localities) that has not produced specimens for many years. At the moment this Baryte mine is given two names: Ouichane (or Mount Ouichane) or Sidi Lahcen, but what is clear is that it is the region of Ségangane, near Nador. As it has recently produced a huge number of specimens it is very likely that it will continue to do so in the future as, just as people told me years ago, it is a very rich source. Most of what was seen during Ste Marie was either low quality or of poor color, but during the first moments of the show, and discreetly afterwards, some exceptional specimens changed hands ;-)

Another new find, also from Morocco, was the new specimens from the Bou Nahas (or Afrou, according to other people) Mine that is next to the classic locality of Oumjrane, and they are a great mix: good Baryte, excellent Chalcopyrite and Marcasite (and not ‘Arsenopyrite’, which they were sold as), and also Pyrite, Quartz and Siderite, all of which are associated with each other making them interesting specimens.

There was a third Moroccan novelty at Ste Marie, but I ask for your patience as I do not want to talk about it until the results of analysis are available.

Clearly there were other new finds, but not many as most were known about before the Ste Marie show. To name some: from China, Danalites, Boracites, Löllingites, and new Quartz specimens that have an identical form the ones from Dalnegorsk that are (incorrectly) called "Quartz beta" and from Tanzania, transparent Dravites from Mwajanga, Komolo, and green Tremolites, a little bit transparent, from Merelani...

Finally we found time to do the photos. Here them are:

Quartz-TB240.swf
 Description:
This Quartz doesn't shows so well by photo, so Jordi Deusedes has prepared a swf to offer a better vision of it.

Quartz
Huanggang Mine, Kèshíkèténg Qí, Chifeng, Inner Mongolia A.R., China
6 x 5 x 4.2 cm
Mined: 2012
Swf: Jordi Deusedes
 Filesize:  1 MB
 Viewed:  41466 Time(s)

Loellingite_top.swf
 Description:
The same that happens with the Quartz, better this swf file than a photo.

Löllingite (analyzed) on Magnetite (analyzed) and partially covered by Arsenopyrite (analyzed ;-)
Huanggang Mine, Kèshíkèténg Qí, Chifeng, Inner Mongolia A.R., China
9.3 x 8.2 x 10.5 cm.
Main crystal: 8.4 x 7.5 cm.
Mined: 2012
Swf: Jordi Deusedes
 Filesize:  1.72 MB
 Viewed:  41467 Time(s)

Ste. Marie 2012 - Barita_Bou Nahas_Oumjrane_Marruecos.jpg
 Description:
Baryte with inclusions on Quartz
Bou Nahas (or Afrou), Oumjrane, Alnif, Er Rachidia, Morocco
5.8 x 5.7 x 3.1 cm.
Main crystal: 2.6 x 1.8 cm.
Mined: 12/2011-01/2012
Photo: Jordi Deusedes
 Viewed:  42143 Time(s)

Ste. Marie 2012 - Barita_Bou Nahas_Oumjrane_Marruecos.jpg

Ste. Marie 2012 - Marcasita_Bou Nahas_Oumjrane_Marruecos.jpg
 Description:
Marcasite
3.8 x 2.3 x 1.5 cm.
Main crystal: 0.8 x 0.6 cm.
 Viewed:  42052 Time(s)

Ste. Marie 2012 - Marcasita_Bou Nahas_Oumjrane_Marruecos.jpg

Ste. Marie 2012 - Calcopirita_Bou Nahas_Oumjrane_Marruecos.jpg
 Description:
Chalcopyrite with Quartz
10.5 x 8.5 x 6.8 cm.
Main crystal: 0.9 x 0.7 cm.
 Viewed:  42107 Time(s)

Ste. Marie 2012 - Calcopirita_Bou Nahas_Oumjrane_Marruecos.jpg

Ste. Marie 2012 - Barita_Ouichane_Segangane_Marruecos.jpg
 Description:
Baryte
Ouichane (or Mt. Ouichane or Sidi Lahcen), Ségangane, Nador, Morocco
5.6 x 4.5 x 2.8 cm.
Main crystal: 3.9 x 0.6 cm.
Mined: 01-04/2012
 Viewed:  42119 Time(s)

Ste. Marie 2012 - Barita_Ouichane_Segangane_Marruecos.jpg

Ste. Marie 2012 - Barita_Ouichane_Segangane_Marruecos_matrix.jpg
 Description:
Baryte
Ouichane (or Mt. Ouichane or Sidi Lahcen), Ségangane, Nador, Morocco
8 x 6.2 x 3.8 cm.
Mined: 01-04/2012
 Viewed:  42118 Time(s)

Ste. Marie 2012 - Barita_Ouichane_Segangane_Marruecos_matrix.jpg

Ste. Marie 2012 - Vanadinita_Marruecos.jpg
 Description:
Waiting the promised images from Tomasz, I add this Vanadinite with an unknown species (yet ;-) , probably Descloizite or Mottramite
Aderhoual, Mibladen, Midelt, Morocco
7.9 x 6.9 x 5.3 cm.
Main crystal: 1 x 1 cm.
Mined: May 2012
 Viewed:  42081 Time(s)

Ste. Marie 2012 - Vanadinita_Marruecos.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 07:45    Post subject: Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - Miscelanea  

5 more photos taken by Jordi Deusedes during the Show.

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - The Start (60).JPG
 Description:
Rush to unpack in the zone Val Expo at the beginning of the Show.
 Viewed:  41692 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - The Start (60).JPG

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - The Start (61).JPG
 Description:
Although the organization worked very well, at some point during the Show there were the inevitable jams...
 Viewed:  41663 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - The Start (61).JPG

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - The Start (18).jpg
 Description:
The theater was what this year had a more different appearance from previous years. There were just few exhibitors with more space for everyone and only in the lower level.

The upper level (Scène) was closed this year and there were not exhibits neither in the Scène neither in the ground floor. They said to me that the next year (the year of the 50th aniversary of the Show) they are already preparing similar exhibits to those made before, though not yet known whether will be made in the Scène of the Theater or in the Val Expo zone.
 Viewed:  41697 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - The Start (18).jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - The Show (16).JPG
 Description:
The coat of arms of Ste. Marie along with the coat of arms of the cities to which it is twinned.
As you can see in his coat of arms predominate the mining tools...
 Viewed:  41731 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - The Show (16).JPG

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - The Show (17).JPG
 Description:
And finally one of the most notable examples of the past mining of Ste Marie. In the "Maison de maître" a sixteenth-century house for the senior officials of the mine, now "Pharmacie de la Tour" located in the Keufer Square, you can see a large block of argentiferous Galena (quite meteorized by the pass of the time) encrusted in the wall of the "Maison de maître". It symbolizes very well the importance of mining and minerals in this beautiful town of the Val d'Argent.

For more information on the "Pharmacie de la Tour": http://www.valdargent.com/pharmacie% 20of% 20the% 20tour.pdf

All photos: Jordi Deusedes
 Viewed:  41692 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - The Show (17).JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2012 16:38    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012 - Löllingites & Arsenopyrites  

Recently I published a 3D image of the Löllingite and then Gneissware told me that it would be useful show the differences between the Arsenopyrite and Löllingite in these specimens. So far I had not chance to publish a clear picture of an Arsenopyrite on Löllingite to show the differences, I hope this one serves.

As you can see in the image, the Arsenopyrite crystals of this find are sharp, bright, with a whitish-silvery color, and the Löllingites of this find appears in large crystals of polycrystalline growths, so not so sharp, grayish color and always (to my knowledge) having grown before the Arsenopyrite, the same that the Arsenopyrites has always (to my knowledge) grown after the Löllingite.

Just add that unlike the Helvite-Genthelvite-Danalite from this mine, the Löllingites-Arsenopyrites are not zoned but each species is clearly differentiated.

Arsenopyrite on Lollingite - Huanggang Mine_Chifeng_Inner Mongolia_China.jpg
 Description:
Sharp, pseudoctahedral crystals of Arsenopyrite on coarse grained polycrystalline growths of Löllingite
 Viewed:  41283 Time(s)

Arsenopyrite on Lollingite - Huanggang Mine_Chifeng_Inner Mongolia_China.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 10:51    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012 - Analysis results  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
...There was a third Moroccan novelty at Ste Marie, but I ask for your patience as I do not want to talk about it until the results of analysis are available...

...The first to get the analysis it shall publish it here! ;-) ;-)

The analysis arrived and I can confirm that the black material related to new finds of Vanadinite in Aderhoual zone, Mibladen, is Mottramite, species that, as far as I know, was not listed so far in Mibladen.

Vanadinite with Mottramite - Aderhoual, Mibladen, Midelt, Morocco.jpg
 Description:
Vanadinite with Mottramite
Specimen size: 8.1 × 8 × 4.5 cm.
Main crystal size: 1 × 0.9 cm.
Mined in May 2012
 Viewed:  40930 Time(s)

Vanadinite with Mottramite - Aderhoual, Mibladen, Midelt, Morocco.jpg

Vanadinite with Mottramite - Aderhoual, Mibladen, Midelt, Morocco - Detail.jpg
 Description:
Vanadinite with Mottramite
Main crystal size: 0.9 × 0.7 cm.
A detail of one of them
 Viewed:  41021 Time(s)

Vanadinite with Mottramite - Aderhoual, Mibladen, Midelt, Morocco - Detail.jpg

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 14:56    Post subject: Re: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012  

Thanks Jordi, my analyzes didn't come yet. I will post them as soon as they will come.
Thanks!

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 05:33    Post subject: Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012 - Final  

This is a good time to finish my show report.

First, it is clear that the change in management of the Fair has been a success, the new organizers have taken control without too many problems, they have continued to do well what was already being done well, and they have improved other things, such as the number of parking areas and access to the Fair from these car parks. Very positive also was the large number of collaborators who were helping in the fair so that everything worked well, and their kindness, which was extreme. All exhibitors I spoke to were delighted with the new organization and surprised by how well everything was working.

That said the serious problem represented by the dimension of the fair compared to the infrastructural capacity of the small town of Ste Marie is still there. I also believe that the organization will have to make an extra effort for next year (which is its 50th anniversary of the Show) to organize quality exhibits equal to those made in past years, and I think they will have to be very attentive to avoid letting the fair gradually return to a kind of "local Fair" instead of the big international Fair that Michel Schwab-Mineral Concepts has produced.

As for minerals, this Show, which is undoubtedly the main international exhibition for minerals from Morocco, has offered (consistently ;-) new minerals from Morocco as the main attraction of the Show. The new finds in Ouichane, Bou Nahas and the new Mottramite with Vanadinite from Mibladen have been, in my opinion, the most remarkable novelties in Ste. Marie. As always, many other small finds were there, but I think that apart from Morocco and China there were just a few more new things were really outstanding.
For more information about the Ste. Marie novelties: Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012 - The development of the Show

See you next year, which is the 50th anniversary of the beloved, sometimes delightful, sometimes irritating, the unique, unrepeatable Fair of Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines!

Jordi
PS: I wanted to mention a small detail that I found very peculiar. In previous years Ste Marie generated a lot of information either here, on Mindat, and on blogs so a lot of news was published on line about the Fair while the Fair was occurring. This time, as far as I know, not much more than this chronicles has been published. I do not know if it means anything or is purely coincidental, but I must admit that caught my attention.

Thank you to John White and James Catmur for his help with my previously "dirty" English texts ;-)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (15).JPG
 Description:
This is the artist who took most of the pictures for this story.
Here we can see Jordi Deusedes in action.
 Viewed:  40651 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (15).JPG

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (16).JPG
 Description:
And with this last picture, a small tribute to the "historic" Pioneers who at one time opened markets and released things not seen before. Here you have Giuseppe Agozzino, obviously Italian ;-)
He was the first to go to Pakistan and Afghanistan to reveal the treasures of these countries to the "rocks" community.

As we can see, now he seems very interested in computers. Scary! ;-)
 Viewed:  40653 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2012 - During the Show (16).JPG

Joan Kureczka

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 09:33    Post subject: Re: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012  

Jordi -- thank you again for your reliable and entertaining reports. You're right that I haven't seen as many re Ste-Marie this year, although the team at Crystal Classics certainly did their usual two reports. Perhaps it was just that the most frequent bloggers didn't get to the show this time -- I know that was the case for Jolyon at Mindat. Hopefully next year we'll hear more!

Gerhard Niklasch

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2012 15:04    Post subject: Re: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012  

Apologies for a late and brief set of impressions... I didn't take many pictures this year, and upon my return I've had to pay for many hours of inching through traffic jams with a painful back condition.

But I certainly enjoyed the visit! Let me emphasize the enthusiasm of the many, many volunteers on site who did everything to make everyone feel very welcome.

As I said in years past, what sticks in my memory most about SMaM are the sounds (even though I'm mostly a visual guy), and this year was outstanding. Pictures, of course, won't even begin to do it justice.

Enjoy!
Gerhard

P.S. No specimen pictures yet I'm afraid; I haven't yet got round to lining up my loot in front of the camera...

P.P.S. The 3D shows of micromounts and of cave crystals in situ were an absolute must-see again. Of course I couldn't photograph those off the screen!

12SMaM-0280.jpg
 Description:
A very professional parking guide. Sainte Marie is obviously planning for a long and prosperous future!
 Viewed:  40406 Time(s)

12SMaM-0280.jpg

12SMaM-0294.jpg
 Description:
The shuttle buses were running frequently. As in 2010 and 2011, there were ticket booths at the parking lots, and thus hardly any queuing in town at the show gates.
 Viewed:  40374 Time(s)

12SMaM-0294.jpg

12SMaM-0307.jpg
 Description:
In front of the Theâtre
 Viewed:  40410 Time(s)

12SMaM-0307.jpg

12SMaM-0286.jpg
 Description:
No, these ladies aren't the local volunteers. They're the competition, luring unsuspecting visitors over the Rhine to Wolfach in the Black Forest, where there'll be a mineral show in early August!
 Viewed:  40420 Time(s)

12SMaM-0286.jpg

12SMaM-0290.jpg
 Description:
Meditative vocals in the Feng Shui garden: a good place to rest from an intense bout of shopping. There sure was a lot of new-age stuff around, but it's eminently possible to enjoy the music without going in for the esoterics.
 Viewed:  40425 Time(s)

12SMaM-0290.jpg

12SMaM-0298.jpg
 Description:
A faster beat and a few more dB behind the Lycée...
 Viewed:  40396 Time(s)

12SMaM-0298.jpg

12SMaM-0301.jpg
 Description:
...the local miners seem to like it too.
 Viewed:  40400 Time(s)

12SMaM-0301.jpg

12SMaM-0304.jpg
 Description:
Latin jazz on the main square. (Did anyone catch the name of the band? They were good...)
 Viewed:  40394 Time(s)

12SMaM-0304.jpg

12SMaM-0302.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40413 Time(s)

12SMaM-0302.jpg

simonoff

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2012 12:52    Post subject: Ste Marie aux Mines - Our Visit  

My family also went to the Ste Marie Aux Mines show of 2012, as noted in a photo with Jordi). We had a great time. The logistics of parking and actually getting to the show from the parking lots were much better this year, than our last visit in 2010. From the visitor's perspective it seemed very well run and organized. The organizers were even thoughtful enough to order PERFECT weather!

If you'd allow, i would like to share some of the pictures we took. i will try not to be redundant with the photos in https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=2347 or https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78570#78570 .

I will add mineral names and locations if not obvious from the included label or context where I can. Please use the labels to get a rough estimate of size.

IMG_3512.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  40403 Time(s)

IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3509.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40398 Time(s)

IMG_3509.jpg

simonoff

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2012 12:56    Post subject: Re: Ste Marie aux Mines - Our Visit  

Here are some more

IMG_3513.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40470 Time(s)

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40432 Time(s)

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40429 Time(s)

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40400 Time(s)

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40409 Time(s)

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3524.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40412 Time(s)

IMG_3524.jpg

simonoff

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2012 13:02    Post subject: Re: Ste Marie aux Mines - Our Visit  

And still more

IMG_3531.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40395 Time(s)

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40403 Time(s)

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg
 Description:
These are currently my absolute favorites. I hope someday to be able to afford one of these cuprite after copper after cuprites.
 Viewed:  40371 Time(s)

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg
 Description:
Canvasite and crocoite eggs - AMAZING!
 Viewed:  40397 Time(s)

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg
 Description:
Calcite in a vug from India - as an egg!
 Viewed:  40358 Time(s)

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40451 Time(s)

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg
 Description:
I was told that these fluorites are being polished - that this is not their real look. It did look too shiny, but I thought that was just normal variation.
 Viewed:  40383 Time(s)

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40398 Time(s)

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40395 Time(s)

IMG_3546.jpg

simonoff

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2012 13:06    Post subject: Re: Ste Marie aux Mines - Our Visit  

Here is another upload. We did have a great time at the show!!

IMG_3562.jpg
 Description:
Big! Nice!
 Viewed:  40369 Time(s)

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40439 Time(s)

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3564.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40394 Time(s)

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40402 Time(s)

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40377 Time(s)

IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3568.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40382 Time(s)

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40349 Time(s)

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg
 Description:
I usually don't go for polished decorator pieces. But the play of colors in some of these was exceptional. Apologies if I did not capture it well enough
 Viewed:  40315 Time(s)

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg
 Description:
Never enough pink fluorite!!!
 Viewed:  40318 Time(s)

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40318 Time(s)

IMG_3571.jpg

simonoff

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2012 13:10    Post subject: Re: Ste Marie aux Mines - Our Visit  

Please let me know if I am showing too many. I promise I won't share all 400 pictures we took.

IMG_3572.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40299 Time(s)

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40348 Time(s)

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40312 Time(s)

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40272 Time(s)

IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40280 Time(s)

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg
 Description:
Yes, it is THAT big
 Viewed:  40277 Time(s)

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg
 Description:
LOVE!
 Viewed:  40287 Time(s)

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg
 Description:
Wow
 Viewed:  40290 Time(s)

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40279 Time(s)

IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40289 Time(s)

IMG_3593.jpg

simonoff

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2012 13:17    Post subject: Re: Ste Marie aux Mines - Our Visit  

I guess I should have apologized up front for the photo quality. I am not a professional, and the lighting conditions in many places were very bad. Several dealers used lighting that completely fooled my camera, worse than I have ever seen.

IMG_3595.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40291 Time(s)

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3597.jpg
 Description:
Wonderful crystallization in my opinion for the species.
 Viewed:  40266 Time(s)

IMG_3597.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg
 Description:
Aesthetic sulfer!
 Viewed:  40261 Time(s)

IMG_3598.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40289 Time(s)

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40282 Time(s)

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40290 Time(s)

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3608.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40263 Time(s)

IMG_3608.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg
 Description:

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg
 Description:

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3624.jpg
 Description:
I think this is a bad picture of what was a beautiful piece - I just couldn't get the colors right.
 Viewed:  40244 Time(s)

IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg
 Description:

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg
 Description:

IMG_3629.jpg

simonoff

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2012 13:22    Post subject: Re: Ste Marie aux Mines - Our Visit  

More pictures

IMG_3632.jpg
 Description:
Hand specimen of corundum var sapphire from Ratnapura, Ratnapura District, Sabaragamuwa Province, Sri Lanka
 Viewed:  40319 Time(s)

IMG_3632.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg
 Description:
Same piece, back lit!!!
 Viewed:  40243 Time(s)

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40235 Time(s)

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg
 Description:
lepidolite around mica from Brazil

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg
 Description:
Anynoe know what the yellow is on these Erongo pieces?>
 Viewed:  40234 Time(s)

IMG_3648.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  40266 Time(s)

IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg
 Description:
I am not a fan of this mineral artistry.

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg
 Description:
Another one of these.
 Viewed:  40267 Time(s)

IMG_3658.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2012 13:26    Post subject: Re: Ste Marie aux Mines - Our Visit  

In Ste Marie Aux Mines - Our Visit simonoff wrote:
Please let me know if I am showing too many. I promise I won't share all 400 pictures we took.

Please download them all! the people love this... ;-)

BTW, when you finish I will join this thread with the other thread Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2012 in order to keep coherent the info about the Show.

Thank you for your time and your effort, you will make happy a lot of people ;-)

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 4
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: