We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 05:13

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Quartz collecting outings in South Africa
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pierre Joubert

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2014 08:32    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

vic rzonca wrote:
I agree with Tobi, I always enjoy the coverage of the field work folks do. Pierre, you certainly have spent your share of time out standing in your field. And hiking and fishing and camping and collecting and breathing in the wonder around you. Thanks for your reports and I trust they will continue. This site seems an ideal format for photo journalistic postings and articles like Pierre's. The collection section and the show reports allow room to spread out in a coherent way. Thanks to Jordi and the team.

Hi Vic. I agree with you with regards to the platform created by Jordi and his team. Perhaps there are some members who also have interesting collecting trips from the past who can share them with us. How about it? What is news on your side Vic; you have been very quiet? Regards.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Joan Martinez Bruguera

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2014 09:38    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Very good friend Pierre, fantastic report, beautiful quartz!

Best Regards ;-)

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2014 09:56    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Joan Martinez Bruguera wrote:
Very good friend Pierre, fantastic report, beautiful quartz!

Best Regards ;-)

Hi good friend Joan, thank you.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2014 11:29    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Pierre Joubert wrote:

... I first wash the specimens with a good blast with a hose, then I leave them in a Oxalic acid solution for a few days in the sun. I repeat the hose and the Oxalic acid bath treatment till I have a satisfactory result. I often use a toothbrush and a thin sharp stick for the more resistant dirt. Regards.

Hi Pierre,
As always, a fascinating report, and the landscape photos capture a spectacular setting. Being able to collect and fish at the same place is a slice of paradise...actually it must be Eden and there is the ubiquitous snake! Thanks for sharing.

As to cleaning, you may want to look at one of the water guns. They are available on eBay and other places for under US$100 and will make the sharp stick unnecessary. Also, if you can find Super Iron Out (google it to find a chemical equivalent in SA), it will likely shorten your iron-stain removal times.

Look forward to more photos as you progress.
Bob

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2014 12:31    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

GneissWare wrote:
Pierre Joubert wrote:

... I first wash the specimens with a good blast with a hose, then I leave them in a Oxalic acid solution for a few days in the sun. I repeat the hose and the Oxalic acid bath treatment till I have a satisfactory result. I often use a toothbrush and a thin sharp stick for the more resistant dirt. Regards.

Hi Pierre,
As always, a fascinating report, and the landscape photos capture a spectacular setting. Being able to collect and fish at the same place is a slice of paradise...actually it must be Eden and there is the ubiquitous snake! Thanks for sharing.

As to cleaning, you may want to look at one of the water guns. They are available on eBay and other places for under US$100 and will make the sharp stick unnecessary. Also, if you can find Super Iron Out (google it to find a chemical equivalent in SA), it will likely shorten your iron-stain removal times.

Look forward to more photos as you progress.
Bob

Hi Bob. Thank you for your kind comments. We are indeed blessed. I have looked at one of those waterguns and it is on my shopping list. I will look for something similar to iron-out. Best regards.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2015 01:20    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Some time ago, I was approached by a student, that read this thread 'Quartz collecting outings in South Africa', about joining me on an outing. We planned a trip and a few months ago we visited one of our collecting sites. With him, he had 2 fellow students/friends, none of which had previously collected quartz. They camped on the farm and the first available afternoon we walked to a quartz reef where I showed them how to find crystals and, if lucky, a pocket. After a while of searching and everyone finding the od crystal, I took one of them and went to a spot where Riana and I had previously removed a nice pocket, some with chlorite phantoms. After digging for a while, we found a few small specimens, nothing to get too excited about. I got up to fetch my bag at another spot and when I came back, the young man said to me he found a scorpion and some crystals. We found a number of scorpions that day. After a while he said: 'the crystals are still coming out!' I said, well, remove them. The short of the long is that this Theological student found a massive pocket on his first time out. Wow! Eventually he had his 2 friends help him and the next day 2 ladies who came with them. They removed a number of bags of crystals, most of them very nice. The organizer of this party, Nicholas, cleaned all the specimes and they distributed it amongst themselves. Here are a few photos.

P1380594.JPG
 Description:
3 students busy removing a large pocket of exciting quartz.
 Viewed:  29360 Time(s)

P1380594.JPG

P1380595.JPG
 Description:
Those smiles tell it all!
 Viewed:  29335 Time(s)

P1380595.JPG

P1380596.JPG
 Description:
Marius, the person who discovered the pocket.
 Viewed:  29359 Time(s)

P1380596.JPG

P1380597.JPG
 Description:
Quartz with chlorite, fresh from the earth.
 Viewed:  29312 Time(s)

P1380597.JPG

P1380599.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  29375 Time(s)

P1380599.JPG

P1380600.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  29392 Time(s)

P1380600.JPG

P1380601.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  29361 Time(s)

P1380601.JPG

Clipboard01.JPG
 Description:
One of the cleaned specimens; sorry no size.
 Viewed:  29339 Time(s)

Clipboard01.JPG

Clipboard04.JPG
 Description:
Another cleaned specimen. Sorry, no size.
 Viewed:  29331 Time(s)

Clipboard04.JPG

Mike Wood

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2015 15:17    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Hi Pierre, thanks for the report on your field trip, your students were really lucky finding such a big pocket on their first day out hunting for crystals! The quartzes are very nice too, pretty large and very clear with good phantoms. Have these guys asked to go on another trip with you or do they go collecting on their own now?
Best regards,
Mike

Martin Rich

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2015 23:21    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Thank you Pierre for this nice report. This are very nice samples of quartz! I remember on one of my first collecting trips for searching quartz in the Austrian part of the Bohemian massive and I found.....nothing. That's life!

Martin

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2015 04:30    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Thanks Mike. There is always a risk when taking people on an outing like this. This area is not one of our prime collecting areas and it is difficult to find crystals there. Permission can only be obtained through the farmer and he does not allow just anybody there. These students were a delight to have around and I fully trust them. One of them stays with a friend. We are planning a future dig, hopefully when it is cooler. Best regards.

Hi Martin. Thank you. I imagine finding a pocket in that areas you mentioned, is no easy task. Perhaps many have been there before you too! I have been on many outings looking for quartz and returned with only a few pieces, worthy only to be placed around a potted plant. Try again and again. The big pockets are waiting for you!!! Regards.

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2015 09:57    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Hi, you have clearly mastered the skill of finding these quartz crystals and it has been amazing to see your adventures. would you be willing to share your knowledge as to how you go about finding these crystals, what are tell tale signs where to dig ect? this is would be most interesting as i live in Port Elizabeth and would be keen to apply those same steps locally to see what one can come up with.

Kind regards

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2015 12:19    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Reinhardt van Vuuren wrote:
Hi, you have clearly mastered the skill of finding these quartz crystals and it has been amazing to see your adventures. would you be willing to share your knowledge as to how you go about finding these crystals, what are tell tale signs where to dig ect? this is would be most interesting as i live in Port Elizabeth and would be keen to apply those same steps locally to see what one can come up with.

Kind regards

Hi Reinhardt. I will send you a private message with my Email address. I have been eying Jordi's post 'How to dig a pocket' to contribute to it (but have not had the time), but I see that it is now locked. Yes, I have years of experience and have developed a good eye for finding a pocket. I will approach Jordi and see where the best place is to share my experiences. Regards.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2015 14:22    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
...I will approach Jordi and see where the best place is to share my experiences...

Please use: How to find a pocket?

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2015 02:28    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Pierre Joubert wrote:
...I will approach Jordi and see where the best place is to share my experiences...

Please use: How to find a pocket?

Thank you very much Jordi! Regards

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2015 06:48    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

I planned a trip up a gorge just 6km from our home on Thursday, to attempt to catch brown trout and at the same time look for crystals. A large cold front changed my plans and I rather opted to drive out to a farm to look for quartz crystals. It was a good choice as I found some interesting specimens. I first visited a place where we removed a lot of crystals in the past. I found just a few small crystals at first but fortunately found an extension of a vein with quartz crystals in a manganese and hematite mix (I have an idea that more minerals are involved, but I need to send some samples of this away to be tested). After a few hours of removing zillions of small crystals, not much bigger than 25 mm, I decided to give my stiff legs a bit of exercise. I walked for about 30 meters from where I was digging and suddenly saw a rock that looked just a little promising. I started digging and immediately was into a lovely pocket. Unfortunately I damaged the first crystal I found. It was bitterly cold, but I had a most enjoyable day. Some of the crystals are in acid at the moment and I hope to show some photos once they are clean. Meanwhile, here are a few pictures from my day. I must stress that we have been on a number of outings since my last entry and pockets like these are NOT encountered on every trip. The cold front has produced very cold and wet weather here, with some snow on the mountains. It has been very dry and we welcome the rain.

P1040173.JPG
 Description:
The first place where I found many small crystals, often on manganese rich matrix.
 Viewed:  27729 Time(s)

P1040173.JPG

P1040175.JPG
 Description:
A close up of the above pocket. There are still many crystals waiting to be removed.
 Viewed:  27697 Time(s)

P1040175.JPG

P1040207.JPG
 Description:
The second pocket, about 30 m from the other.
 Viewed:  27707 Time(s)

P1040207.JPG

P1040186.JPG
 Description:
A lovely single crystal from the second pocket.
 Viewed:  27720 Time(s)

P1040186.JPG

P1040190.JPG
 Description:
A nice sized specimen of Quartz on matrix.
 Viewed:  27701 Time(s)

P1040190.JPG

P1040193.JPG
 Description:
Another from the same.
 Viewed:  27725 Time(s)

P1040193.JPG

P1040195.JPG
 Description:
Another.
 Viewed:  27638 Time(s)

P1040195.JPG

P1040196.JPG
 Description:
Another.
 Viewed:  27685 Time(s)

P1040196.JPG

P1040197.JPG
 Description:
Another.
 Viewed:  27667 Time(s)

P1040197.JPG

P1040198.JPG
 Description:
Another.
 Viewed:  27641 Time(s)

P1040198.JPG

P1040199.JPG
 Description:
Another.
 Viewed:  27654 Time(s)

P1040199.JPG

P1040200.JPG
 Description:
Another.
 Viewed:  27641 Time(s)

P1040200.JPG

P1040204.JPG
 Description:
Another.
 Viewed:  27655 Time(s)

P1040204.JPG

P1040206.JPG
 Description:
All the crystals shown are a portion from the last pocket.
 Viewed:  27683 Time(s)

P1040206.JPG

Mike Wood

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2015 14:21    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Hi Pierre, thanks for taking the time to take photographs in the wild of your finds, especially with it being very cold. Those quartz crystal groups look very good, I can see why your day was enjoyable!

Best wishes, Mike

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2015 14:45    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Hi Pierre. As always, an enjoyable read of your collecting adventures. I look forward to seeing the cleaned specimens.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2015 15:06    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Hi Mike and Bob. Your comments makes the experiences of finding and sharing even more enjoyable! Thank you!

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2015 13:42    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Here are a few of the cleaned specimens. I hope to show just a few of the larger specimens later. They are still in the acid.

P1040506.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz
 Locality:
Ceres, Warmbokkeveld Valley, Ceres, Valle Warmbokkeveld, Witzenberg, Cape Winelands, Western Cape Province, South Africa
 Dimensions: 83 x 26 x 25 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27497 Time(s)

P1040506.JPG

P1040511.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz with goethite
 Locality:
Ceres, Warmbokkeveld Valley, Ceres, Valle Warmbokkeveld, Witzenberg, Cape Winelands, Western Cape Province, South Africa
 Dimensions: Quartz crystal 19 x 15 x 15 mm
 Description:
I am not sure about the dark mineral/s. It could be a mixture of goethite, hematite and manganese. I don't know.
 Viewed:  27463 Time(s)

P1040511.JPG

P1040517.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 57 x 43 x 26 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27471 Time(s)

P1040517.JPG

P1040524.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 47 x 35 x 32 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27494 Time(s)

P1040524.JPG

P1040529.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 45 x 35 x 27 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27492 Time(s)

P1040529.JPG

P1040531.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 32 x 22 x 20 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27498 Time(s)

P1040531.JPG

P1040535.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 58 x 43 x 40 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27519 Time(s)

P1040535.JPG

P1040541.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 52 x 27 x 21 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27482 Time(s)

P1040541.JPG

P1040542.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 40 x 17 x 15 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27516 Time(s)

P1040542.JPG

P1040545.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 37 x 20 x 12 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27475 Time(s)

P1040545.JPG

P1040556.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 33 x 28 x 23 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27492 Time(s)

P1040556.JPG

P1040560.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 20 x 19 x 10 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27504 Time(s)

P1040560.JPG

P1040565.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 60 x 25 x 17 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27571 Time(s)

P1040565.JPG

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2015 14:11    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Hello Pierre,

Great report. Looking forward the next ones.

Christophe

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2015 14:15    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Pierre

Wonderful, as usual. Also good to see more specimens from your Ceres.

James

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 9 of 18
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next  

Jump to: