We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 00:09

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Quartz collecting outings in South Africa
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pierre Joubert

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2015 02:27    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Hi Chris and James, you are very kind with your comments :-) Someday, (hopefully soon), I hope to show you some trophy specimens, with some colour. Best regards.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2015 00:55    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Hi Pierre, wow you're a brave/crazy man to go crystal hunting in this cold we're experiencing. Then again, if I wasn't working I would be out there too so guess it makes me just as crazy hahaha, but congratulations on some lovely finds, wow I especially like the ones perched on the unknown mineral mix what a lovely contrast. :)

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2015 03:23    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Reinhardt van Vuuren wrote:
Hi Pierre, wow you're a brave/crazy man to go crystal hunting in this cold were experiencing then again if I wasn't working I would be out there too so guess it makes me just as crazy hahaha, but congratulations on some lovely finds, wow I especially like the ones perched on the unknown mineral mix what a lovely contrast. :)

I think far more CRAZY than brave, Haha. I think it is time that you plan a trip down to us from PE! The matrix might be goethite in many cases, but there is definitely manganese involved in some pieces from the area. There might even be another mineral involved. I will have to take a few specimens from that area and have it tested at UCT or Stellenbosch. I have specimens from other areas, about 80 km from our home, that has a Psilomelane (hydrous manganese oxide with variable amounts of barium and potassium.) matrix. Regards.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2015 06:26    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Here are a few more pictures of 2 specimens with quartz in an unknown mineral (goethite and/or), from the above mentioned find, as well as 2 specimens of quartz and Psilomelane from another location, about 100km from the above area.
Yesterday, my wife and I unearthed another good pocket of quartz, only about 7 km from our home. I will take a break now as I think some may get tired of quartz.

P1040766.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz with goethite
 Locality:
Ceres, Warmbokkeveld Valley, Ceres, Valle Warmbokkeveld, Witzenberg, Cape Winelands, Western Cape Province, South Africa
 Dimensions: 165 x 130 x 67 mm
 Description:
Quartz crystals in goethite (and perhaps other minerals)
 Viewed:  25570 Time(s)

P1040766.JPG

P1040767.JPG
 Locality:
Ceres, Warmbokkeveld Valley, Ceres, Valle Warmbokkeveld, Witzenberg, Cape Winelands, Western Cape Province, South Africa
 Description:
Same as above.
 Viewed:  25512 Time(s)

P1040767.JPG

P1040768.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Same as above.
 Viewed:  25551 Time(s)

P1040768.JPG

P1040774.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 115 x 70 x 65 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  25540 Time(s)

P1040774.JPG

P1040779.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz with manganese oxides
 Locality:
Worcester area, Cape Winelands, Western Cape Province, South Africa
 Dimensions: 55 x 40 x 27 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  25638 Time(s)

P1040779.JPG

P1040781.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz with manganese oxides
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 46 x 20 x 17 mm
 Description:
I removed these crystals from a small cave, which I accessed with a rope (not really my style)
 Viewed:  25656 Time(s)

P1040781.JPG

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2015 09:48    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Wow, what lovely crystals, those coatings are most interesting, I have cleaved a few nicks off here and there and noticed that the contact areas are quite shiny and show the growth lines of the quartz, I also don't find any traces of it including the quartz so my assumption is that it's a secondary coating, I still have to do streak tests but under microscope parts of the black does appear to be goethite, this should react with hydrochloric acid if that is it's true identity so yet another test I need to do :) but most interesting stuff. The visual contrast between the two are most attractive. If you wish to give the posts a rest for the sake of your internet data cap I can appreciate that, but if you think you're boring us please don't fool yourself I'm sure I'm not the only one that can't wait to see what Pierre and his wife has unearthed this time to share with us :)

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2015 11:49    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Wow, what lovely crystals, those coatings are most interesting, I have cleaved a few nicks off here and there and noticed that the contact areas are quite shiny and show the growth lines of the quartz, I also don't find any traces of it including the quartz so my assumption is that it's a secondary coating, I still have to do streak tests but under microscope parts of the black does appear to be goethite, this should react with hydrochloric acid if that is it's true identity so yet another test I need to do :) but most interesting stuff. The visual contrast between the two are most attractive. If you wish to give the posts a rest for the sake of your internet data cap I can appreciate that, but if you think you're boring us please don't fool yourself I'm sure I'm not the only one that can't wait to see what Pierre and his wife has unearthed this time to share with us :)

Hi Reinhardt. Thanks for the interesting comments. Some of the brown is indeed goethite, but some are hard and, blueish black. We have a large variety of coulored quartz, and other minerals, but sadly they do not come from our area. I would love to find something with color for a change, and am looking hard at visiting the Northern Cape some time soon.

Mike Wood

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2015 17:32    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Hi Pierre, thanks for sharing your quartz specimens that you have found, and the landscape of your part of the world. I always enjoy reading your posts :-)

Those quartz crystals with goethite last posted above are very nice, though I was particularly drawn to the second specimen of quartz with psilomelane (P1040774.JPG).
All the quartz crystals are different, and very fine!

Best regards, Mike

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2015 05:23    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Mike Wood wrote:
Hi Pierre, thanks for sharing your quartz specimens that you have found, and the landscape of your part of the world. I always enjoy reading your posts :-)

Those quartz crystals with goethite last posted above are very nice, though I was particularly drawn to the second specimen of quartz with psilomelane (P1040774.JPG).
All the quartz crystals are different, and very fine!

Best regards, Mike

Hi Mike, the psilomelane actually has a lovely black colour, but those specimens need cleaning. Here is an interesting specimen that I removed from the same area. Best regards.

P1040796.JPG
 Mineral: Manganese oxides
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 58 x 43 x 32 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  25268 Time(s)

P1040796.JPG

P1040798.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Same as above
 Viewed:  25330 Time(s)

P1040798.JPG

P1040800.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  25332 Time(s)

P1040800.JPG

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2016 14:06    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

It has been a while since I have added something to this thread. We had the hottest summer in living memory in the Western Cape and we are also in the grip of a drought. I waited for a gap in the weather and drove out to our favourite places to look for quartz on a few occasions. This past week, I went out once on my own and found a few nice crystals; Sunday Riana joined me and we went to another of our more productive areas. Finding good pockets is becoming increasingly difficult, as we have removed all the 'easy' pockets. It is now a matter of hit or miss. On Sunday, I removed a few large rocks with a crowbar and found a nice pocket that gave us quite a bit of fun. Some may not understand that we go out so often to look for crystals. We have boxes and boxes that still have to be cleaned from many previous outings! Finding and removing a pocket is, to us, the greatest fun. Here are a few photos from our Sunday outing, as well as a scorpion I photographed a week ago. This species (Parabuthus capensis) is one of the deadliest scorpions in Southern Africa, and even though it's poison rarely kills adults, it can cause severe discomfort when it gets hold of you.

P1130115.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: Fingers for size
 Description:
 Viewed:  23895 Time(s)

P1130115.JPG

P1130117.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23941 Time(s)

P1130117.JPG

P1130118.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23962 Time(s)

P1130118.JPG

P1130120.JPG
 Description:
The surroundings.
 Viewed:  23923 Time(s)

P1130120.JPG

P1130121.JPG
 Description:
Scenery.
 Viewed:  23905 Time(s)

P1130121.JPG

P1130122.JPG
 Description:
Riana busy removing crystals.
 Viewed:  23919 Time(s)

P1130122.JPG

P1130123.JPG
 Description:
A small pocket of crystals exposed by weather.
 Viewed:  23907 Time(s)

P1130123.JPG

P1130124.JPG
 Description:
Some crystals on the host rock
 Viewed:  23885 Time(s)

P1130124.JPG

P1130132.JPG
 Description:
Our focus of interest.
 Viewed:  23922 Time(s)

P1130132.JPG

P1120940.JPG
 Description:
Parabuthus capensis
 Viewed:  23896 Time(s)

P1120940.JPG

P1120948.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23907 Time(s)

P1120948.JPG

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2016 00:36    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Wow, looks like you found some real potential there, what a lovely view. I must say I'd rather find a deadly scorpion than a snake :) although I'm sure you find those too. It sounds like you are going to have to have a cleanathon one of these days to catch up haha. Thanks for sharing.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2016 01:28    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Wow, looks like you found some real potential there, what a lovely view. I must say I'd rather find a deadly scorpion than a snake :) although I'm sure you find those too. It sounds like you are going to have to have a cleanathon one of these days to catch up haha. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Reinhardt. Closer to home: We have had a problem with Cobras for the last few years. For some or other reason, they have taken a liking to our direct neighbourhood. We have killed, or caught about 4 recently (Cape Cobra and black spitting cobra), and a number of others have been seen. They do not bother me much, besides that they are wiping out our lizard population, but some of our direct neighbours have small kids.

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2016 09:40    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

No, that is some scary stuff, luckily the closest I have come over here is the one time I discovered two baby puffies, I didn't harm them but figured I would move my hunt to a slightly different area before I discover mom or dad puffy.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2016 06:06    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Here are a few specimens from the above mentioned outing after cleaning.

P1130167.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23566 Time(s)

P1130167.JPG

P1130168.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23562 Time(s)

P1130168.JPG

P1130171.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23560 Time(s)

P1130171.JPG

P1130172.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23547 Time(s)

P1130172.JPG

P1130175.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23533 Time(s)

P1130175.JPG

P1130178.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23528 Time(s)

P1130178.JPG

P1130180.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
The bottom of the above specimen, a floater.
 Viewed:  23549 Time(s)

P1130180.JPG

P1130181.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23524 Time(s)

P1130181.JPG

P1130183.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Extremely clear sparkling quartz
 Viewed:  23529 Time(s)

P1130183.JPG

P1130186.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23518 Time(s)

P1130186.JPG

P1130188.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23567 Time(s)

P1130188.JPG

P1130190.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23519 Time(s)

P1130190.JPG

P1130193.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23503 Time(s)

P1130193.JPG

P1130194.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  23496 Time(s)

P1130194.JPG

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2016 10:19    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Wow, absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2016 13:07    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

I love those clear quartzes from Ceres, congratulations on those beautiful finds!

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2016 15:04    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Thank you Reinhardt and Tobi. Occasionally we find pockets with goethite and on very rare occasions do we find iridescent goethite. To us it is a thrill to suddenly see all the colours appearing on sections of the specimens. Here are a few photos taken with a Raynox lens of some of these.

P1130311.JPG
 Mineral: Goethite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 75 x 35 mm
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23470 Time(s)

P1130311.JPG

P1130195.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: F.O.V approximately 5 - 15 mm
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23458 Time(s)

P1130195.JPG

P1130203.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: F.O.V approximately 5 -15 mm
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23437 Time(s)

P1130203.JPG

P1130207.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23484 Time(s)

P1130207.JPG

P1130213.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23432 Time(s)

P1130213.JPG

P1130218.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23437 Time(s)

P1130218.JPG

P1130221.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23390 Time(s)

P1130221.JPG

P1130234.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23400 Time(s)

P1130234.JPG

P1130258.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23399 Time(s)

P1130258.JPG

P1130261.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23422 Time(s)

P1130261.JPG

P1130265.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23436 Time(s)

P1130265.JPG

P1130272.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: F.O.V approximately 15 mm
 Description:
Quartz with iron oxide coating
 Viewed:  23426 Time(s)

P1130272.JPG

P1130274.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: F.O.V approximately 20 mm
 Description:
Iridescent goethite
 Viewed:  23423 Time(s)

P1130274.JPG

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2016 12:50    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

This past Saturday we had some rain and I decided to celebrate by taking a walk in the mountains close to home. Riana dropped me in Michells Pass and I walked the few km through the mountains, home. Like always, I was on the lookout for some 'suspicious' quartz veins. I visited a place where I have had quite a bit of joy and found a few specimens. It is amazing how nature reacts to a bit of rain after a very dry summer. Everywhere the vegetation looked fresh and the rock rabbits where out in their numbers. That same night, we had some heavy rain, which brought with it lots of joy.

P1130335.JPG
 Description:
The area where Riana dropped me off.
 Viewed:  23193 Time(s)

P1130335.JPG

P1130336.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23223 Time(s)

P1130336.JPG

P1130337.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23176 Time(s)

P1130337.JPG

P1130338.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23173 Time(s)

P1130338.JPG

P1130340.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23210 Time(s)

P1130340.JPG

P1130341.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23176 Time(s)

P1130341.JPG

P1130342.JPG
 Description:
A foot path.
 Viewed:  23188 Time(s)

P1130342.JPG

P1130343.JPG
 Description:
A hole which produced a few quartz specimens.
 Viewed:  23162 Time(s)

P1130343.JPG

P1130344.JPG
 Description:
The area where I dug.
 Viewed:  23184 Time(s)

P1130344.JPG

P1130346.JPG
 Description:
The best specimen I found.
 Viewed:  23184 Time(s)

P1130346.JPG

P1130348.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23194 Time(s)

P1130348.JPG

P1130349.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23175 Time(s)

P1130349.JPG

P1130350.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23168 Time(s)

P1130350.JPG

P1130351.JPG
 Description:
Welcome drinking water for the wild animals.
 Viewed:  23191 Time(s)

P1130351.JPG

GneissWare

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2016 18:06    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Such beautiful scenery! You're a very lucky person.

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2016 00:25    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

Amazing. I love those irredicent goethites. I went crystal hunting last week Monday in the rain, got soaked to the bone but unfortunately I only got a few small crystals this time. I eventually had to leave because I was getting too cold, I figured I don't know enough about hypothermia so before that happens what ever it is let me get out of here.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2016 00:47    Post subject: Re: Quartz collecting outings in South Africa  

GneissWare wrote:
Such beautiful scenery! You're a very lucky person.

Yes indeed Bob! I say thank you to God for that every day and count myself VERY privileged.

Reinhardt, that is how it goes :-( Those days when you expect very little, you find the nice pocket. I see that one of the mountain ranges from Ceres runs all the way up to Stormsrivier (quite a few hundred km); so you should find the same stuff there that you find here.

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 10 of 18
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next  

Jump to: