We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 11:46

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

ploum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 12:29    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

some photo of bavaria

munich2012307.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34080 Time(s)

munich2012307.jpg

munich2012308.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34121 Time(s)

munich2012308.jpg

munich2012309.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34089 Time(s)

munich2012309.jpg

munich2012310.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34115 Time(s)

munich2012310.jpg

munich2012311.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34110 Time(s)

munich2012311.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

valere

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 03:58    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

Superb report!
Here is one of the 13 good new Congolese RDC azurites (Kinsevere district)! I took 2 of them and called John who jumped on all the others, including the largest crystals with luster! Although a batch of specimens landed in Springfield, some of the Munich pieces seem superior, And if new one are found, we might have a new worldclass locality for azurite!

3acquisitions Munich 2012 015.jpg
 Description:
Azurite
Kinsevere district, Katanga, RDC
8.5 cm
 Viewed:  33952 Time(s)

3acquisitions Munich 2012 015.jpg

valere

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 04:04    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

Last year, warm wind going down the montains, this year fresh snow! Here is a pic near Munich taken on monday, my rest day

Munchen 2012! 189.JPG
 Description:
ice
Bavaria
a few km wide
 Viewed:  33979 Time(s)

Munchen 2012! 189.JPG

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 09:05    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

Snowing in the Marienplatz, Saturday evening.

IMG_1046r.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33866 Time(s)

IMG_1046r.jpg

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 10:52    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012 - An opinion - 1  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Barcelona 11/01/2012

So, this time the topic of the Show wasn't this or that novelty but the prices! ;-)
I will develop this topic in my next post, but as other people already commented in other sites, the break between the "best" specimens/dealers and the rest of the collectors is becoming enormous and it seems that the hobby it could announce a kind of fracture between the "modest" or field collectors and the "elite" collecting wonderful (but quite expensive) world class specimens.

Jordi, I am sure looking forward to read and likely comment on your above note. I am surely sharing your opinion about the gap being formed, or should we say, has formed. The gap is there. But is it always between the "elite specimens" and the "modest specimens"? Let's share some experiences and notes.

Cheers

Jean

Susan Robinson

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 11:33    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

Well said, Jordi! I think this discussion is long overdue, and I look forward to other collectors' comments. The "gap" you speak of is becoming very evident, and middle-of-the-road collectors I fear are not attending shows as before.

Matteo_Chinellato

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 11:35    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

I not remember to have the USA citizenship

Matteo_C..jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33849 Time(s)

Matteo_C..jpg

Matteo_Chinellato

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 11:37    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

Here is the biggest Pezzottaite exposed in Munich

FP118bMini.jpg
 Description:
Pezzotaite
Amoron'i Mania Region, Fianarantsoa Province, Madagascar
3.8 x 3.1 cm

Collection Federico Pezzotta
 Viewed:  33867 Time(s)

FP118bMini.jpg

Ru Smith

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 11:45    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

Matteo_Chinellato wrote:
Here is the biggest Pezzottaite exposed in Munich

And how large is that crystal?

Matteo_Chinellato

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 12:16    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

3.8 x 3.1 cm

Ru Smith

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 13:26    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

Grazie. Huge! I went back to look at my little 2 cm specimen and take a quick photo.

Pezzotaite 1.jpg
 Description:
Pezzotaite
Amoron'i Mania Region, Fianarantsoa Province, Madagascar
2 cm
 Viewed:  33787 Time(s)

Pezzotaite 1.jpg

Matteo_Chinellato

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 13:50    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

Nice, but I prefer crystals on matrix

supertxango

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2012 05:26    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

Hi !

Nice pezzotaite specimens and pictures ! I have completed the description of Matteo´s picture. If something is wrong, please tell me.

Thanks !

Matteo_Chinellato

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2012 08:13    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

if you want right collection it is Federico Pezzotta

Jim

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2012 09:18    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012  

Matteo_Chinellato wrote:
I not remember to have the USA citizenship

Matteo,

Clearly the show organizers made a mistake.... your specimen was part of our "African Thumbnail Treasures" exhibit, and the coordinators of that exhibit (Alex Schauss and I) are both from the USA. Obviously they attributed all contributors to the USA for some reason.

Cheers!

MAD about crystals

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2012 12:06    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2012 - An opinion - 2  

As mentioned in my previous post this year’s Munich Show was very poor in terms of novelties. For this reason or maybe because the topic is arriving at its "flash point," I had many talks with collectors and dealers about the evolution of prices of minerals, especially the prices of the best and nicest ones. For this reason one of the main highlights of this Show for me was this discussion.

I will try to construct a kind of resume of all of the discussions I had, including my own thoughts. To do it I will trace a kind of history, starting with, no more or less, Paul Desautels!

John White pointed out here that in the far distant past Paul Desautels, former curator of the Smithsonian, argued "that minerals were undervalued and that they should be as desirable and expensive as fine art" and John added: "He must now be smiling wherever he is." For a very long time nothing seemed to happen in the way that Paul Desautels predicted, but about 10-15 years ago, with the coincidence of good times for the global economy, the arrival of the Internet in the mineral business, and changes in mining, especially with fewer manual systems, the prices started a rise. At the beginning this rise seemed "average" or "acceptable," but as prices never stopped increasing and they grew in a "saw teeth" way with abrupt rises, this finally generated a lot of discussion and a major change in the hobby. When it happened, many people (including me) said "this is a bubble," but after hundreds of talks, and the fact that much time passed without changes in the constant rise of prices we are forced to believe, as John Veevaert noted in his recent report about the Munich Show, that the "bubble" is maybe not a bubble and maybe it will stay.

Of course this generates a lot of secondary effects, the worst is the fact that many regular customers with budgets not in the upper thousands of dollars quit the shows, disappointed by the fact that they can't find the kind of minerals they are looking for at this price range, as they had in the past, and maybe they will also quit the hobby now lacking the incentive to continue the purchase of new specimens. We can't overlook this fact but let me be a little optimistic in the face of many pessimistic opinions about this phenomenon, and let me list here some positive outcomes that the new situation generates.

- Minerals today are much more expensive than ever, true, but also their quality is higher than ever and the exigency of the buyers too (although the Alfredo Petrov postulate: "every mineral is damaged if you watch it with a magnifier glass" ;-)

- The high price paid for the specimens justifies an intensive search for localities; miners and joint ventures are created to extract specimens in abandoned mines/deposits.

- The newer collectors didn’t know so much about minerals when they started but they learned quickly (the amount of info on line is immense compared with the past ) and they know more and more every day, so their knowledge is becoming more sophisticated and consequently prices appreciate.

- The money helps. Although it is true that for the moment the money is mostly concentrated on deals between the top dealers and top customers, probably it will spread among all of those involved in this hobby. I mean: money circulating is always good and it generates opportunities.

- The number of top collectors starting collecting and dominating the market is very high and although this creates a kind of inflation (more demand for world class specimens than world class specimens are available make the prices rise) it "democratizes" the hobby because now is no more just a market of a unique rich buyer, as in the past, but a market of several top customers, each one with its different nuances, making the field richer and probably creating more new customers as their friends and families could become interested in the hobby when they see their collections.

These are just guidelines, with them I wish to open a dialog. It will be interesting to hear other opinions and compare them to have a better comprehension of the actual situation within the hobby and the feelings of the different participants in the hobby.

Before finishing my intervention in this edition of the Munich Show, lets me say Thank you! to the FMFers who published their post and images here giving to us his time and effort to approach to us a complete vision of the Show. Also let me give a warm support to all of my colleagues for the hard job Sunday night doing the take down given the snow and cold weather as well as their trip back (many that evening to try to save some of the hotel's cost) to their homes in a very bad night. Also my warmest regards to those who had to return to the USA with great troubles and delays due to the coincidence with Hurricane Sandy.

Thank you also to my Master John S. White for his patient revision of my (as usual) misspelled text ;-)