We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 19:10

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Index -> Exceptional finds

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John Cornish

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2013 15:56    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

50.JPG
 Description:
From down low at this point, this is how the pocket appeared, beautiful, spectacular and…
 Viewed:  34510 Time(s)

50.JPG

51.JPG
 Description:
Tight!

There’d be no room for error here, everything would have to work perfectly if the madness I was envisioning was to be realized.
 Viewed:  34477 Time(s)

51.JPG

52.JPG
 Description:
This is the view behind the right hand pocket wall.

Wonderful, crazy and so full of possibilities!
 Viewed:  34484 Time(s)

52.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2013 16:07    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

53.JPG
 Description:
Having stoped this area open, removing the bulk of the rock from behind the pocket wall, I’ve left the wall more or less hanging and am getting more nervous, err, I mean closer to my goal of recovering this massive section of wall as a single monstrous crystal specimen!
 Viewed:  34427 Time(s)

53.JPG

54.JPG
 Description:
But only if everything goes right.

As with so many things in life, before the prize can be won, reality rears its ugly head! For me, this travesty took the form of that pesky crystal bridge I’d mentioned earlier, spanning the top of the lower pocket area. There, I had a lot of work to do *before* the pocket material below could be collected.

Ordinarily, this is a bad-bad-bad thing to do, working fragile specimens above fragile specimens, too many chances for something to go wrong, for something to fall.

And one thing’s for sure, crocoites don’t take damage well!

Still, it’s what I had to do to continue on.
 Viewed:  34437 Time(s)

54.JPG

55.JPG
 Description:
Thankfully, the shape of the bridge assisted and allowed me to recover some incredible specimens as during this process, the vast majority of my detritus fell from a sloping ledge to cascade impotently, safely away, from the pocket and its pristine crystalline contents.

Above the bridge, a million spikey orange crystals covered every surface.
 Viewed:  34475 Time(s)

55.JPG

56.JPG
 Description:
Joyous tidings, the Crocoite Super Highway has opened!

Congratulations Bruce, a fine, fine job and one which will make every day a whole lot easier. Hat’s off!
 Viewed:  34428 Time(s)

56.JPG

57.JPG
 Description:
Heck, it’s even getting spacious down here. Dare I say it…
 Viewed:  34443 Time(s)

57.JPG

58.JPG
 Description:
Roomy!

As it should be! There is much work which will be done in this hollowed out area and many a precious load will be hauled from here outward towards the surface.

Every inch of space gained is gratefully appreciated.

On the left, the entrance into the little raise which opens into the Red River Upper pocket zone. On the right, just out of sight beside the shovels, the wall is cut back another 4 feet (1.3 meters) creating an expansive work area.
 Viewed:  34429 Time(s)

58.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2013 16:17    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

59.JPG
 Description:
As I worked the area surrounding the bridge, I was rewarded as the edges of the plate started to define themselves. Boundary’s became more evident until eventually, I broke through and my line of separation began to form.
 Viewed:  34449 Time(s)

59.JPG

60.JPG
 Description:
Up top center, you can see the void I’ve opened and will continue to expand.

Note also the extreme angle that the wall resides, the top leaning frightfully forward towards the pocket’s interior. This creates an excessive amount of weight pushing forward and while I wasn’t staggered, I was concerned and would really have to pay attention and compensate for this factor.
 Viewed:  34435 Time(s)

60.JPG

61.JPG
 Description:
With progress going well above, and needing to clear out the hole of all the waste rock I’d dumped, I shifted to give myself a break and began mucking. With that task completed, it was time to begin undercutting the wall. To accomplish this, I had to dig the floor down about a foot (30 cm) beneath the plate’s base along its entire length.
 Viewed:  34368 Time(s)

61.JPG

62.JPG
 Description:
Digging out the floor of the pocket was fun and many delicate and showy specimens were recovered during this time satisfyingly. The backside of the wall was much less glamorous to excavate!
 Viewed:  34440 Time(s)

62.JPG

63.JPG
 Description:
In this photo, lower left, you can see the cut I’ve made under the wall defining the base of the specimen I hoped to recover. At this point the base of the wall is completely unsupported. Near the center of the photo, you can see where I’ve broken through into the pocket and have begun my upper cut separating the back-side of the wall from its host matrix. The faint lighter-colored scar rising above this area defines the cut I’ll be making.
 Viewed:  34439 Time(s)

63.JPG

64.JPG
 Description:
More detail and more progress.
 Viewed:  34427 Time(s)

64.JPG

65.JPG
 Description:
Things were going well, but always in the back of my mind was the fear of something going dreadfully wrong, of the plate collapsing, of it falling to destroy the pocket’s contents, etcetera. With these morbid thoughts warring in my mind, I felt it prudent to, one more time, take pictures of the pocket’s opposite wall while it was still pristine and perfect.

This was my fear factor.
 Viewed:  34405 Time(s)

65.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2013 16:25    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

66.JPG
 Description:
And in case I’d somehow forgotten, the space separating one pocket wall from the other, it was still tight, very-very tight!
 Viewed:  34399 Time(s)

66.JPG

67.JPG
 Description:
It’s difficult to make out in this photo but here, I’ve cut through and have completely separated the upper and lower parts of the bridge along its entire length. This leaves the top half of the bridge in-place, supported by the pockets opposite wall, when I remove the lower wall/specimen. It seems a bit precarious, read scary as Hell, but from all I can see, it’s a good mount and is supporting itself competently.
 Viewed:  34367 Time(s)

67.JPG

68.JPG
 Description:
Note how I’ve built a crib of miscellaneous timber beneath the plate to support it when I break it free from its host matrix. My goal is to have the plate settle and travel only a tiny, miniscule amount of distance after separation. I only need it to come free, that’s all. I’ll manage it from there.

No big moves. Slow and steady.
 Viewed:  34445 Time(s)

68.JPG

69.JPG
 Description:
Another view of the big plate just before the final work to free it is exerted.
 Viewed:  34410 Time(s)

69.JPG

70.JPG
 Description:
With Bruce’s help, I’ll have him support the plate while I delicately remove the last of the attaching matrix from behind the plate.

It all comes down to these next few minutes, will or won’t it work…
 Viewed:  34414 Time(s)

70.JPG

71.JPG
 Description:
Halloween 2012, how did you spend it? Did you get a trick or a treat? For us, we had our fingers crossed!
 Viewed:  34396 Time(s)

71.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2013 10:59    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

Yay, Treat!

It’s a shame I don’t have photos detailing our recovery of this treasure from off the wall but the truth is, Bruce and I, we were busy!

And in the end, the sweetest word of all… Success!

As I mentioned above, it’s a shame that I couldn’t take any photos of the Big Plates recovery off the wall, but maybe a close second…

This is an unedited excerpt direct from my Field Collecting Journal detailing the days adventure…

9:39 pm. Today was the day that 100% I was hoping for, today was a successful day and everything went perfect.

I’m exhausted as I write, and I’d taken a tiny snooze after I’d eaten and taken a shower (my sleep will likely suffer from it but no matter). Some cold cereal and here I am.

We got back early, around 4:00 pm. And even then, the release of the day’s tension, had me yawning and tired. That and one other thing, success!

At the mine, we each took several photos to document the scene prior to the Big Plate coming out. Then we did some video. With everything recorded to our satisfaction, and while the sunshine of a perfect Spring day made the outside a dream, we set to making our own dreams come true!

I’d left a small section of rock as an attachment supporting the Big Plate. Under the plate I’d made a wooden cradle to support the plate when it separated from its last support. Pointing these things out, I offered my ideas as to how we should proceed, cutting the support at its top and then move out the remaining material from the very last vertical support. This left a smaller and smaller attaching point to hold the plate and soon, as I supported the plates outer edge to hold it from collapsing into the pocket, Bruce worked his magic (prying at a point where two hard surfaces made perfect leverage points to * POP * the plate free).

It happened fast and slow all at the same time. One minute nothing, then the plate wiggles and then BINGO, the plate breaks free. It falls and settles and then its weight starts to shift, collapsing the plate towards total destruction, where I come in and counter its effect by gently pushing the plate back towards Bruce (as I do so, a chunk of matrix rips free in my hand and my heart slams in my chest as I drop it and re-grab the plate) who has settled in perfectly as we’d discussed, compressing his body against the plate and together we coerced the plate softly, gently, just like we’d planned, into a stable resting position, free-standing and Free-Free-Free and down!

72.JPG
 Description:
Propped up and sitting alongside the pocket, the plate was huge!
 Viewed:  34256 Time(s)

72.JPG

73.JPG
 Description:
Huge!
 Viewed:  34263 Time(s)

73.JPG

74.JPG
 Description:
With the plate removed, this is the open aspect of the pocket.

It’s just so far beyond impressive!!!

The left hand wall as shown here is a bit over 6 feet across on the horizontal by approximately 5 feet on the vertical I’d guess (1.1 by 1.2 meters).
 Viewed:  34315 Time(s)

74.JPG

75.JPG
 Description:
Staring back into the void of the pocket, deep into its crystalline maw.
 Viewed:  34281 Time(s)

75.JPG

76.JPG
 Description:
This is a close-up taken of the Big Plate showing the perfection of the crystals covering its surface.
 Viewed:  34253 Time(s)

76.JPG

77.JPG
 Description:
Detail of crystals along the edge of the plate. These multi-generational groups of crocoite are just over 4 inches tall (11 cm) and are as beautiful as they are fragile.
 Viewed:  34241 Time(s)

77.JPG

78.JPG
 Description:
Another view of crystals along the edge of the Big Plate.
 Viewed:  34247 Time(s)

78.JPG

79.JPG
 Description:
Glorious detail!
 Viewed:  34244 Time(s)

79.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2013 11:21    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

80.JPG
 Description:
At the mine, Bruce and I needed a little help getting this big bugger out of the pocket area and down the drift and out of the mine. Friend, Bear, had an old block and tackle set-up that worked just fine and with his help, and with the additional assistance of visiting friends Sascha and Anna, we set to it…
 Viewed:  34255 Time(s)

80.JPG

81.JPG
 Description:
You can see the plate on its edge in the distance. It took hours and days to get the Big Plate out of the mine, a painfully slow process.
 Viewed:  34203 Time(s)

81.JPG

82.JPG
 Description:
After a full days efforts the day before, this was how we left the plate resting in the drift and how we found it safe the next morning.
 Viewed:  34220 Time(s)

82.JPG

83.JPG
 Description:
Success, such a wonderful word and one better, sunshine!

After an unknown time, for the first time since its creation, this incredible treasure of Australian origin finally greets the light of day. This was a celebration moment and we snapped off lots of photos!
 Viewed:  34176 Time(s)

83.JPG

84.JPG
 Description:
Bruce posing with a magical grin and the Big Plate!
 Viewed:  34217 Time(s)

84.JPG

85.JPG
 Description:
On the bridge in the sunlight, the Big Plate and me!
 Viewed:  34195 Time(s)

85.JPG

86.JPG
 Description:
The smile of success!
 Viewed:  34224 Time(s)

86.JPG

87.JPG
 Description:
Bruce basking in the glory!
 Viewed:  34215 Time(s)

87.JPG

88.JPG
 Description:
Crystalline perfection!
 Viewed:  34242 Time(s)

88.JPG

89.JPG
 Description:
Me and the prize!
 Viewed:  34176 Time(s)

89.JPG

90.JPG
 Description:
After getting the Big Plate out of the mine and over the bridge and onto the landing. Our next efforts will see the Big Plate loaded onto the back of Bruce’s truck after hauling it down the length of the dump and over the little make-shift ramp we’ve created.
 Viewed:  34223 Time(s)

90.JPG

91.JPG
 Description:
In the truck and on its pallet base, we’ll next draw it further back into the truck and then we’ll secure it for its ride out.
 Viewed:  34196 Time(s)

91.JPG

92.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  34207 Time(s)

92.JPG

93.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  34187 Time(s)

93.JPG

94.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  34228 Time(s)

94.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2013 11:30    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

95.JPG
 Description:
The Big Plate posing over the tumbling waters of the Dundas Rivulet and on its way to Zeehan.
 Viewed:  34193 Time(s)

95.JPG

96.JPG
 Description:
Detail of the crystals all glistening in the sunshine!

This was the last photo taken of the Big Plate while it was still the Big Plate. Remember my Halloween question, would it be a Trick or a Treat? Well, I’d been thrilled with my Treat when the plate came out, what I didn’t know was that the Trick was waiting…

Just after these last two water-side photos were taken, we continued our journey on the mine road towards town. Just before we hit the blacktop, disaster happened and the Big Plate broke, snapping right in two.

The scajillions of pot-holes in the road bed took their toll, and even though we were more than three quarters of the way out, what more could be said, that was that.

With our spirits crushed, the remainder of the ride out was sadly quiet.
 Viewed:  34187 Time(s)

96.JPG

97.JPG
 Description:
In Zeehan prior to being unloaded from the truck.
 Viewed:  34197 Time(s)

97.JPG

98.JPG
 Description:
Detail of the crack.
 Viewed:  34190 Time(s)

98.JPG

99.JPG
 Description:
Unloaded in Zeehan.

While a sadness and a disappointment, still, how incredible is this? It's still a monstrous and spectacular specimen, it'll just need a little love! The repair will mate the two surfaces together with very little issue if that's what's done... Who knows, maybe this just means we'll have to go after another one, a bigger, brighter and more sensational specimen yet!!
 Viewed:  34171 Time(s)

99.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2013 10:32    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

100.JPG
 Description:
With the Big Plate behind me, it was time to get back at it and as if to compensate for the bad luck we’d just had, the pocket next kicked out a little zone with some unique specimens…
 Viewed:  34006 Time(s)

100.JPG

101.JPG
 Description:
It’s not the sparse coverage that makes these specimens so different from all the others…
 Viewed:  33995 Time(s)

101.JPG

102.JPG
 Description:
It’s the incredibly, insanely thin matrix that these specimens occur on. This was the first of two large specimens recovered from this small area.
 Viewed:  33999 Time(s)

102.JPG

103.JPG
 Description:
Here’s a close-up of the crystals on the one edge of the plate, bright and spectacular orange.
 Viewed:  33973 Time(s)

103.JPG

104.JPG
 Description:
Here’s Bruce holding the best large plate I pulled from this little hot-spot.
 Viewed:  33979 Time(s)

104.JPG

105.JPG
 Description:
This specimen was absolutely incredible with its beyond-bright orange crystals and its wonderfully interspersed forest-like crystal formations.
 Viewed:  33963 Time(s)

105.JPG

106.JPG
 Description:
A close-up showing the fantastical crocoite crystal coverage of the specimen.
 Viewed:  33992 Time(s)

106.JPG

107.JPG
 Description:
And like the other, it features a thin-thin-thin matrix, stable but way scary looking too!
 Viewed:  34019 Time(s)

107.JPG

108.JPG
 Description:
This pocket photo shows the gossan ledge these crocoites formed on. In a world of near vertical crocoite coverage, this perfectly flat horizontal ledge really stood out, not just for its position but for its spectacular specimens too.
 Viewed:  33983 Time(s)

108.JPG

109.JPG
 Description:
The ledge was easy to expose and collect once identified as it rested above a large soft, wet clay-filled area which was easily removed.
 Viewed:  34010 Time(s)

109.JPG

110.JPG
 Description:
Here’s a couple of short collecting sequences. This first one as I’m going after a small corner fragment…
 Viewed:  33971 Time(s)

110.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2013 10:45    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

111.JPG
 Description:
Easy, pinch the matrix softly…
 Viewed:  33997 Time(s)

111.JPG

112.JPG
 Description:
Ah, a tiny little treasure.
 Viewed:  33950 Time(s)

112.JPG

113.JPG
 Description:
Another view.
 Viewed:  33968 Time(s)

113.JPG

114.JPG
 Description:
And now the next piece, careful…
 Viewed:  33961 Time(s)

114.JPG

115.JPG
 Description:
Ah, that sweet word again, success!
 Viewed:  33961 Time(s)

115.JPG

116.JPG
 Description:
DIRTY… This set of pictures offers a small glimpse into the romantic life of a miner... I’m tired and I’m dirty, dirty, dirty!

After each day’s session underground, our skin and clothes are stained with a tenacious grime of oxides. This Witches brew of elements marks us. The only way to remove one’s mine make-up is to use abundant soap and water combined with fierce exertion and enthusiasm, aided by a stout bristle brush, to scrub, scrub, scrub!
 Viewed:  33917 Time(s)

116.JPG

117.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  34001 Time(s)

117.JPG

118.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33962 Time(s)

118.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2013 10:52    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

120.JPG
 Description:
THE RED CARPET, THE CROCOITE WALKWAY…

Back at the mine, down near the entrance to the lower workings, one day while wandering about, I noted the ground thereabouts had a strange reddish color, very pronounced and out of place as compared to the other exposures surrounding, I went to explore…
 Viewed:  33694 Time(s)

120.JPG

121.JPG
 Description:
What I’d rediscovered was an area where masses of clay had been washed. Recovered from a crocoite pocket called the Clay Pocket, these masses were riddled with huge amounts of crocoite, often as fragmented, broken crystals.
 Viewed:  33701 Time(s)

121.JPG

122.JPG
 Description:
This is where the clay masses had been washed and littering the ground in this area were the left behind, discarded detritus, hundreds of thousands of crocoite crystal fragments.
 Viewed:  33683 Time(s)

122.JPG

123.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33770 Time(s)

123.JPG

124.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33701 Time(s)

124.JPG

124A.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33730 Time(s)

124A.JPG

125.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33684 Time(s)

125.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2013 11:04    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

128.JPG
 Description:
INSITU… Here is a small fun group of random photos, scenes from within and surrounding the pocket.
 Viewed:  33694 Time(s)

128.JPG

128A.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33756 Time(s)

128A.JPG

129.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33671 Time(s)

129.JPG

130.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33720 Time(s)

130.JPG

132.JPG
 Description:
COLLECTING SEQUENCES… This is the fun, this is the glory!

I love collecting crystals. It’s fun, intense, demanding and an experience absolutely precious to me. Sharing some of this good time, the following photos in this next set will let you come along and thrill, big smiles galore!

In this first photo, I’m driving a medium sized bar into the matrix behind the crystals lining the pocket. For the most part, within the pocket, the crocoite crystals have grown into an inter-locking crystal carpet covering all of the pockets surfaces.
 Viewed:  33689 Time(s)

132.JPG

133.JPG
 Description:
As such, with the coverage being so complete, I’m not really trying to “define” to the specimen I’m hoping to recover, rather I’m just trying to realize it without having it disintegrate and fall apart!

Well away from the crystals, I gently work to clear an area so that when the time is right…
 Viewed:  33723 Time(s)

133.JPG

134.JPG
 Description:
I can pry softly to create a break in the wall of the pocket from which I can separate out a hoped for beautiful specimen… just like this one!
 Viewed:  33673 Time(s)

134.JPG

135.JPG
 Description:
Magic. Heart-swelling magic!
 Viewed:  33719 Time(s)

135.JPG

136.JPG
 Description:
In my hand, treasure!
 Viewed:  33706 Time(s)

136.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2013 11:16    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

137.JPG
 Description:
This the magic, this is the glory!
 Viewed:  33639 Time(s)

137.JPG

138.JPG
 Description:
Staying on course, let’s try for one a bit larger…
 Viewed:  33628 Time(s)

138.JPG

139.JPG
 Description:
Find a “sweet spot” and work my way in…
 Viewed:  33619 Time(s)

139.JPG

140.JPG
 Description:
You can get a “feel” for the piece I’m after if you look close…
 Viewed:  33600 Time(s)

140.JPG

141.JPG
 Description:
I’ve worked under and behind it and am getting close to bringing it down off the wall. The box, a sturdy wooden affair, is set beneath it to act as a support if case of any surprises…
 Viewed:  33638 Time(s)

141.JPG

142.JPG
 Description:
With just a bit of effort, the specimen is down.

When the plate came loose, I gently cooperated with it so as to roll both it and the box into a flat stationary position where I could secure the specimen and then maneuver it out of the working area and into a flat for eventual transport out of the mine.

Note the large cloud of steam resulting from my (much relieved) exhaled breath once things had settled!
 Viewed:  33642 Time(s)

142.JPG

143.JPG
 Description:
Nice!
 Viewed:  33631 Time(s)

143.JPG

144.JPG
 Description:
Back at it, reference for the next extraction…
 Viewed:  33621 Time(s)

144.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2013 10:26    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

145.JPG
 Description:
Work behind the specimen until the time is right and then…
 Viewed:  33385 Time(s)

145.JPG

146.JPG
 Description:
Treasure!
 Viewed:  33471 Time(s)

146.JPG

147.JPG
 Description:
See the scirble hanging just off-center left? Let’s get it!
 Viewed:  33461 Time(s)

147.JPG

148.JPG
 Description:
Grasp it, hold it securely and then when you’re sure you’ve got it, lift it free…
 Viewed:  33417 Time(s)

148.JPG

149.JPG
 Description:
Sweet, an exquisite fan of crocoite splendor!
 Viewed:  33466 Time(s)

149.JPG

150.JPG
 Description:
This next collecting sequence documents a truly challenging time. Scary in the extreme but in the end, everywhere happy smiles surrounded!

This is a busy, hard to orient scene, but we’re above the last remaining section of The Bridge. In the photo, on the right about a third of the way up, the last edge of The Flats can be seen. Beneath me, I’ve cleared out everything on both sides of the pocket. I’m ready to begin extracting the specimens which rest on and above The Bridge. This is a difficult, nerve-screaming process in the extreme as everything is inter-connected. This material, which had fallen from above during some event in the geologic past, has accumulated on The Bridge, loose clods and chunks mainly, and all loosely cemented together by crystallizing crocoites.

A pretty jumble, but an insane one to try to collect without damaging a million crystals! I’ll be working, hopeful of opening, the upward tilting slot just to the left of center…
 Viewed:  33437 Time(s)

150.JPG

151.JPG
 Description:
Right from the get-go, the first piece I’d have to go after was a monster! Deftly I maneuvered through and around the crystalline barbs of the surrounding crocoites until I was able to find a finger hold. Once there, I flexed a bit and *POP* the piece breaks free of its crystal bonds. It’s still in-place, but it’s loose and that’s a big plus!
 Viewed:  33407 Time(s)

151.JPG

152.JPG
 Description:
With my fingers re-secured, and with me hoping nothing breaks, I next gently lifted and began wiggle-tilting the specimen between, over and around the hazards which surrounded it…
 Viewed:  33429 Time(s)

152.JPG

153.JPG
 Description:
Ohhhh, it’s getting close! Precariously balanced on my finger tips, it’s getting close!
 Viewed:  33420 Time(s)

153.JPG

154.JPG
 Description:
Easy, gentle, get another resting point for my left hand to hold it safe and…
 Viewed:  33436 Time(s)

154.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2013 10:41    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

155.JPG
 Description:
Success!
 Viewed:  33413 Time(s)

155.JPG

156.JPG
 Description:
No damage, crystals all a’ burr around its edges, this one’s nice!
 Viewed:  33418 Time(s)

156.JPG

157.JPG
 Description:
And smiles surround!
 Viewed:  33438 Time(s)

157.JPG

158.JPG
 Description:
This begins our last collecting sequence, easy pickings from the floor of the pocket…
 Viewed:  33413 Time(s)

158.JPG

159.JPG
 Description:
Just reach in…
 Viewed:  33405 Time(s)

159.JPG

160.JPG
 Description:
… and lift it…
 Viewed:  33404 Time(s)

160.JPG

161.JPG
 Description:
… out!
 Viewed:  33435 Time(s)

161.JPG

162.JPG
 Description:
RUINS AND THE WORST OF THINGS… This is an odd set of photos where something that is “bad”, may also offer another face if one’s perspective is changed…

The ruins of the old Dundas mill… For some, these concrete and rusting steel foundations in the midst of wild untamed forest may strike an ugly scene, for me, as we rounded the corner and they miraculously appeared out of nowhere, they immediately set my mind a-whirl as I imagined the scene hereabouts during an earlier time when the hills about me resounded with the squealing and grinding-roaring groans of surface trams, the mines, the men and the mill.
 Viewed:  33449 Time(s)

162.JPG

163.JPG
 Description:
Gorse... Gorse is a spiny European evergreen shrub that is a blight in the areas it has overtaken. It spreads rapidly and its aggressive nature results in the loss of local native plant habitat and life. Sharp, lethal spines abundantly adorn its branches making it a Devilish adversary when encountered. Its only grace is its brilliant yellow flowers which ignite the bush in a stellar bright cloak of color.
 Viewed:  33454 Time(s)

163.JPG

164.JPG
 Description:
Bruce beside a stream of contaminated water run-off from the South Comet Mine…
 Viewed:  33435 Time(s)

164.JPG

165.JPG
 Description:
Not typically a popular subject, but taken out of context, these unique toxic conditions created a healthy growing environment for these wispy plants, photographed as they gently swayed in the flowing currents…
 Viewed:  33422 Time(s)

165.JPG

166.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33434 Time(s)

166.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2013 10:46    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

167.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33448 Time(s)

167.JPG

168.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33446 Time(s)

168.JPG

169.JPG
 Description:
Now this, dumped trash out in the middle of nowhere, this was offensive!
 Viewed:  33389 Time(s)

169.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2013 11:14    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

170.JPG
 Description:
NATURE… The photos in this next group represent different nature scenes which captured my attention during my stay. Most of these photos were taken just off of the Adelaide Mine road and on the Adelaide Mine lease. Enjoy…

A nice sweeping view of the Dundas area with its varied greenery of dense forest.
 Viewed:  33253 Time(s)

170.JPG

171.JPG
 Description:
Picturesque clutter found on the Adelaide Mine lease.
 Viewed:  33292 Time(s)

171.JPG

172.JPG
 Description:
Peering down between the rotten timbers, deep into the depths above a densely foliated abandoned subterranean opening where the previous mine leaser had mined crocoites vertically, straight up to the surface and daylight.
 Viewed:  33250 Time(s)

172.JPG

173.JPG
 Description:
Bright yellow Wattle flowers blossoming over the tumbling waters of Comet Creek.
 Viewed:  33262 Time(s)

173.JPG

174.JPG
 Description:
Peering into the depths of the wood, the lush greenery was enchanting. The luxuriant mosses and ferns made for such rich viewing experiences.
 Viewed:  33268 Time(s)

174.JPG

175.JPG
 Description:
And the crush of the vegetation quickly and completely seals the woods off from view.
 Viewed:  33248 Time(s)

175.JPG

176.JPG
 Description:
Blechnum nudum is a variety of fern found abundantly in the area of the Adelaide Mine.
 Viewed:  33269 Time(s)

176.JPG

177.JPG
 Description:
Exotic-seeming in the extreme, the Tasmanian Tree Fern, Dicksonia antarctica, is an easy thrill ride for the eyes.
 Viewed:  33237 Time(s)

177.JPG

178.JPG
 Description:
The gorgeous bursts of yellow flowers are a joy to see on this Wattle tree.
 Viewed:  33268 Time(s)

178.JPG

179.JPG
 Description:
Here, I found the wild combinations of colors and textures captivating.
 Viewed:  33271 Time(s)

179.JPG

180.JPG
 Description:
Lichens, pretty in their own way, as seen on the Adelaide Mine lease.
 Viewed:  33256 Time(s)

180.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2013 11:32    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

181.JPG
 Description:
Again, pretty textures and colors.
 Viewed:  33248 Time(s)

181.JPG

182.JPG
 Description:
I believe this is Native Laurel, Anopterus glandulosus.
 Viewed:  33251 Time(s)

182.JPG

183.JPG
 Description:
A common theme, textures and colors.
 Viewed:  33267 Time(s)

183.JPG

184.JPG
 Description:
Moss and Lichen.
 Viewed:  33264 Time(s)

184.JPG

185.JPG
 Description:
Bright and thriving in the sunlight.
 Viewed:  33257 Time(s)

185.JPG

186.JPG
 Description:
Native Laurel is my guess.
 Viewed:  33275 Time(s)

186.JPG

187.JPG
 Description:
One of the most impressive and beautiful of the flowering plants I saw during my visit, the Tasmanian Waratah, Telopea truncata. Several of these flowered along the mine road during my stay and this one offered a good picture taking opportunity while we hauled out a fresh batch of crystal treasures!
 Viewed:  33241 Time(s)

187.JPG

188.JPG
 Description:
Six to nine feet (2 to 3 meters) of gorgeous bright red flowering awesomeness!
 Viewed:  33267 Time(s)

188.JPG

189.JPG
 Description:
The insanely-pretty, bright red-pink flower of the Tasmanian Waratah, Telopea truncata. Each flower is about 5 inches (13 cm) in diameter.
 Viewed:  33227 Time(s)

189.JPG

190.JPG
 Description:
Lining the highway in bright colorful clumps of flowers, the West Coast Flag Iris, Diplarrena latifolia, made a pretty sight.
 Viewed:  33278 Time(s)

190.JPG

191.JPG
 Description:
Beyond pretty, the poof-ball blossoms of the Pink Flowering Gum Tree, Eucalyptus ficifolia, were my absolute favorite. Huge tracts were covered by this plant, all gloriously blooming in an absolute riot of color that was incredibly beautiful.
 Viewed:  33241 Time(s)

191.JPG

192.JPG
 Description:
A last Nature view, this of the Indian Ocean as seen from the west coast of Tasmania near the small settlement of Trial Harbor.
 Viewed:  33237 Time(s)

192.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2013 09:25    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

193.JPG
 Description:
SPECIMENS… Following is a random selection of specimens, sharing some of the treasures freshly collected from The Adelaide Mine…
 Viewed:  33162 Time(s)

193.JPG

194.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33164 Time(s)

194.JPG

195.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33169 Time(s)

195.JPG

196.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33197 Time(s)

196.JPG

197.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33152 Time(s)

197.JPG

198.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33168 Time(s)

198.JPG

199.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33154 Time(s)

199.JPG

200.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33174 Time(s)

200.JPG

201.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33173 Time(s)

201.JPG

202.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33156 Time(s)

202.JPG

203.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33168 Time(s)

203.JPG

204.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33157 Time(s)

204.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2013 09:46    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

205.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33161 Time(s)

205.JPG

206.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33159 Time(s)

206.JPG

207.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33146 Time(s)

207.JPG

208.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33146 Time(s)

208.JPG

209.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33155 Time(s)

209.JPG

210.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33158 Time(s)

210.JPG

211.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33138 Time(s)

211.JPG

212.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33158 Time(s)

212.JPG

213.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33172 Time(s)

213.JPG

214.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33142 Time(s)

214.JPG

215.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33153 Time(s)

215.JPG

216.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33149 Time(s)

216.JPG

217.JPG
 Description:
The largest of the crocoites crystal plates Bruce and I recovered during my stay. A fourth plate was added to this group before I left and a fifth was staged to come off the wall just prior to my leaving.
 Viewed:  33157 Time(s)

217.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2013 10:52    Post subject: Re: CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia  

219.JPG
 Description:
I didn’t spend a lot of time gazing into the fairy land above me called the Red River Upper, there was just to much amazing ground right before me to be distracted, still before I left, I needed to snap off a couple of shots…

This is me in the cramped little raise leading up to the Red River Upper, it’s tight!
 Viewed:  33007 Time(s)

219.JPG

220.JPG
 Description:
Looking approximately 21 feet (7 meters) into the treasure vault!

Note the hanging stalactite on the right hand wall up near where the pocket walls merge…
 Viewed:  33042 Time(s)

220.JPG

221.JPG
 Description:
221 A bit closer…

But it’s still so far away! This incredible crystal covered feature hangs about 1 foot (30 cm) off of the wall. Its like has never been seen before! What other mysteries are still to be uncovered as this pocket and its story continues to unfold?
 Viewed:  33004 Time(s)

221.JPG

222.JPG
 Description:
And then that was it, it was time for my last walk out of the mine…
 Viewed:  33021 Time(s)

222.JPG

223.JPG
 Description:
Bruce was a great guy to work with…
 Viewed:  33005 Time(s)

223.JPG

224.JPG
 Description:
… Always there with a grin…
 Viewed:  32986 Time(s)

224.JPG

225.JPG
 Description:
… And a cheeky comment!

I couldn’t have asked for a better digging partner!
 Viewed:  33023 Time(s)

225.JPG

226.JPG
 Description:
And so, that’s it. I’m tired and it’s been an awesome run, time to call this one good.
 Viewed:  32998 Time(s)

226.JPG

227.JPG
 Description:
Like a dog peeing on a bush, I marked my territory…
 Viewed:  32990 Time(s)

227.JPG

228.JPG
 Description:
So you’ll know I was here.
 Viewed:  33028 Time(s)

228.JPG

229.JPG
 Description:
I’ll leave Bruce working as diligently as usual and all too soon, that’ll be that.
 Viewed:  33025 Time(s)

229.JPG

230.jpg
 Description:
I can’t thank Adam and the guys enough, Erika too. I had a great time visiting Tasmania and Australia for the first time and am one hundred percent hopeful of another return trip. The pocket continues and is definitely calling me back. The time I had, the people whose lives I shared, the Country with its varied and exotic plants and animals, all of these things and so many others all combined to create an experience I’m hungry to recreate and re-explore!

As long and as detailed as this report has been, there was so much more I could have shared. Hopefully, maybe someday, more of this story will be told…

Be well Everyone and thank you for taking the time to come along, sharing the incredible experience that is the Adelaide Mine’s Red River Pocket!

Sincerely, all the very best,

John

PS… For more information on The Adelaide Mine and the Red River pocket, I encourage you to see the November – December 2012 issue of the Mineralogical Record magazine for the feature article by Thomas P. Moore and Wendell E. Wilson; The BlueCap Productions, The Adelaide Mine, DVD by Bryan Swoboda; and finally, The website of Adam Wright and The Adelaide Mine Mining Company at…

http://www.theadelaidemine.com/
 Viewed:  33034 Time(s)

230.jpg

Index -> Exceptional finds   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 4
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: