We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Mar-00:03:53 Identification question (Jim Wilkinson)
28 Mar-23:16:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 29, 2024 02:37

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2013
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

crocoite

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2013 02:27    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

In https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=27856#27856 robynahawk wrote:
Joaquim - have you seen the story of the gold nugget that was found on a beach in Australia?...

Hi Robyn. Nowhere near a beach I'm afraid. Ballarat is nearly 100km from the sea! The nugget was found close to Ballarat, a noted and famous gold region.

Regards
Steve
Reply to topic Reply with quote

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2013 09:28    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

John S. White wrote:
Question for Rockaholics:

Are the Pueblo Gem & Mineral Show and the International Fine Mineral Building one and the same? If so, why two different names? The second name is unfortunately too similar to the Fine Minerals International facility, which I am sure is not the one you are referring to. Additionally, the IFMB is not listed in the 2013 Tucson Show Guide. Very confusing.

John - not sure if anyone responded to you but I think what's going on here is that there is an "out-building" at the Riverpark Inn where mineral dealers are concentrated and they call it the IFMB. the majority of the riverpark inn is lots of other "stuff".

So, for ultimate confusion: the Pueblo Gem and Mineral Show is housed at the Riverpark Inn which used to be the Pueblo Inn and also contains the International Fine Mineral Building which is hidden out back of the Riverpark Inn.

There's a number of really good dealers in the IFMB and marcus budil had a special room in the main building. worth a visit.

Bob

Rich Olsen

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 15:11    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Hi All,
I am assisting Jim Houran with the planning and installation of what promises to be a great thumbnail exhibit for this years TGMS main show. It is based on the "Elegant World of Thumbnail Minerals" article in last years March-April (Vol43-#2) issue of The Mineralogical Record. We have arranged to have over 60 of the specimens pictured in this great article on display in the case . Along with the individual specimens, is a real prize, Mitch Gunnel's boxed"master set" of single crystals illustrated in the article(courtesy of Wayne andDona Leicht).
Include here is a"teaser" in the form of a couple of my specimens that will be included.
Be sure to come by and take a look.

BHRhodon.jpg
 Description:
Rhodonite
1700 level, Zinc Corp. Mine, Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia
2.5 cm tall
 Viewed:  50757 Time(s)

BHRhodon.jpg

scovil caledonite.JPG
 Description:
Caledonite
Reward Mine, Inyo County, California
1.5cm tall
 Viewed:  50766 Time(s)

scovil caledonite.JPG

Rocksaholics

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 20:29    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

John, The Pueblo Gem & Mineral Show is held at the Riverpark Inn in Tucson.
The show is spread out in Building A, Building B and Building C, besides in various tents, ball room and show rooms etc.

Building C is a separate area with its own courtyard and it was previously used only for sleeping rooms. Since 2010, we at Rocksaholics decided to establish this building as a venue for only fine minerals and The Pueblo Gem & Mineral Show welcomed us.

The first two years there were very few dealers who joined us and in 2013 The Pueblo Gem & Mineral Show has a waiting list for dealers of fine minerals.

Our group of dealers did not like the generic building "C" name and voted to change it to The International Fine Mineral Building. The show management obliged and today this venue is one of the most convenient and buyer friendly venues in Tucson for fine minerals.

We are honored that several well know & respected dealers have joined us and in 2013, we welcome The Arkenstone, Rocky Mountain Minerals, American Fine Mineral Consortium, to name a few.

Jordi has honored us with his visit in 2012 and we look forward to welcoming you in 2013.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2013 21:22    Post subject: Tucson Show 2013 - First note from Jordi  

Tucson 01/31/2013

When in Tucson, the first feeling during the initial days is the feeling that you are really tired and overwhelmed. Why? the Show is so huge, the number of venues is so large and the availability of the hard drive of your brain is so limited that your brain collapses soon and you wants to come back with your mom ;-)

After this non funny initial feeling, the number of the offers, the magnificence of some specimens and in general the beauty of the mineral world makes you, slowly, starts to enjoy the Show, but the first days.... ! ;-(

Speaking about novelties: some new Wulfenites on Descloizite (not Mottramite) and colorful Duftites from Ojuela mine, a great find of very fine Jacobsites from N'Chwaning Mine, very few nice blue Celestines from (maybe) El Ayachi, Morocco, a HUGE number of specimens from Huanggang Mine in all kind of qualities, and as usual, a lot of small new finds here and there.

VERY IMPORTANT! I believe is not so well announced, so please note that the Former Quality Inn in Benson is not more operating this year and that the dealers from there are now located in the second floor of the TCC-Inn Suites (that in fact concentrates the major part of dealers of minerals) and the Pueblo Gem Show - Riverpark Inn. Theoretically, several dealers should be also in the Executive Inn but, at least yesterday and today, I don't saw they.
BTW, for my astonishment the parking lot of the Executive Inn is totally occupied with tents selling mostly fossils, which is really funny because the people now has not room to park his car front the Hotel! ;-)

More to come...
2013 European correspondent of the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™

Tucson 2013 - Everybody is tired.jpg
 Description:
At the start of the Show everybody is tired as you can see in the expression of these Oranges-Perched-In-Horns beasts ;-)
 Viewed:  50339 Time(s)

Tucson 2013 - Everybody is tired.jpg

Tucson 2013 - Flats and flats.jpg
 Description:
And everybody is overwhelmed after viewing this kind of panoramas. How the hell the world can digest so much flats? ;-)
 Viewed:  50364 Time(s)

Tucson 2013 - Flats and flats.jpg

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2013 23:45    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

I got in yesterday afternoon after taking the red eye from Anchorage. When i got to the Inn Suites, the hotel seemed only maybe 30% open. The atmosphere seemed relaxed, even if the dirt parking lot had a lot of cars. Many dealers were just moving in. Luis Burillo was doing a brisk business, and there I found nice clean Rio Marina pyrites; a number of Panasquiera apatities including a blue one I couldn't resist; lusterous bournonite from Viboras Mine, Machacamarca, Bolivia; and partially gemmy cassiterite from the Viloco mine in Bolivia. Stone Age Gifts and Green Mountain minerals (where I saw an amazingly gemmy Madagascar tourmaline) were also open, with stuff fun to look at. I saw Mario Pauwels all over the place and Marco Amabili at Luis Burillo's room. There were other rooms open, but I was in kind of a fog, so I can't recount them here.

Today, I didn't get to the Inn Suites until maybe 3pm. The place was busy! It seemed like the majority of dealers were open. The parking lot was full. They closed the egress and parking behind the hotel and so now, with all the dealers coming over from the Quality Inn, I expect traffic and parking at the Inn Suites is going to be even more CRAZY this year. We shall see. I bumped into a number of great people including Jordi, Jesse Fisher, and Trevor from Australia (whose last name escapes me; sorry Trevor). I saw Asia at the Spirifer room where she showed me some nice vanadinites with good color and transparency. Ross Lillie of North Star Minerals was open and i had a nice chat with him and was able to view a nice assortment of eastern European sulfides, as usual. I had a long chat with Jared Freiburg of Saga minerals who is always a fountain of information about midwest geology and minerals. He showed me some great Illinois fluorite and Linwood Barytes and calcites, among other things.

I hope people find this recount useful. Attached are some random pictures.

IMG_0136.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  50297 Time(s)

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG
 Description:
The bournonite from IMG_0136
 Viewed:  50227 Time(s)

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG
 Description:
A gemmy cassiterite from IMG_0136
 Viewed:  50309 Time(s)

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG
 Description:
Cinnabar
 Viewed:  50252 Time(s)

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG
 Description:
Bournonite
Viboras Mine, Machacamarca, Machacamarca District (Colavi District), Cornelio Saavedra Province, Potosí Department, Bolivia
8 x 5 x 3 cm
 Viewed:  50295 Time(s)

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG
 Description:
Pyrite
Valle Giove stope, Rio Mine (Rio Marina Mine), Rio Marina, Elba Island, Livorno Province, Tuscany, Italy
4.5 x 3.5 x 3
 Viewed:  50250 Time(s)

IMG_0125.JPG

Don Lum

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2013 00:09    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Thank you for your report and pictures.

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2013 21:09    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Well, as you all know, it is this time of the year when you will be adding new mineral specimens to your collections. In a similar way than last year, I will only report on what matters in the world of minerals, Mexican Minerals. I know, there a lot of other countries that produce minerals but for me, it does not matter. Mexico is the gig to have.

I will only write about minerals leaving the social scene to report on to others that do it very well. So, since Thursday morning I have been walking around west of I-10 and at the Tucson City Hotel.

So what did I see that was new or relatively new or uncommon, as mentioned by Jordi previously, some deep yellow orange blocky wulfenite on descloizite and or mottramite from Mina Ojuela Mapimi. Maybe both minerals are forming the matrix, the jury is out on this at the moment. Peter Megaw did mention that these were coming. The specimens are actually from a mid November find at Mapimi. Small find with few undamaged specimens trickling out.

We saw some kibbles at Denver but in Tucson, real specimens of sulfosalts (pyrargyrite maybe stephanite) from Oaxaca, some canary yellow elongated rhombohedra of calcite from Sta Eulalia, some pale amethyst on calcite from Las Vigas an uncommon association, and amethyst from Durango.

At the TCH, I visited the dealers that were open on Thursday (maybe 30-40%) and today Friday (85%). As you walk in the lobby, at the booth of Arkenstone, you will fine the pale amethyst on calcite but as well plenty of cuproadamite from Mapimi, a few large mottramite and regular Las Vigas amethyst.

As you get the rooms, Xtal – Dennis Beals Minerals will greet you with a red room. No joke. Dennis has been mining the raspberry grossular from Sierra de Cruces in Coahuila. This you, the harvest is simply the best that I have seen in years. Esthetic specimens, great red color and more importantly, less broken crystals. After 3 years of cleaning these puppies, Dennis pinned down the technique to limit the damage to a minimum. They are good.

Don Olson of Olson Minerals has a beautiful specimen of paradamite with Legrandite. Many other Mexican minerals were represented originating from purchased collection. Tomasz Praszkier at Spirifer Minerals has ½ shelves full of San Francisco wulfenite with mimetite. Simply beautiful.

Outside, at the front at his usual spot, Jesus Valenzuela, has again this year a wide assortment of azurite but as well some killer brochantite and some interesting pieces with Baryte rosettes.

This seems to cover it for Mexico at the TCH. If there is more, let me know
Crossing the I-10, we will make our way to the Days Inn. At the Days Inn, surprise, surprises with Alfonso Arriaga of Crystals from Heaven. Alfonso has at least 4 flats of Oaxaca sulfosalts ranging from thumbnail with matrix to small cab on matrix. The better thumbnails to Toenails are loose crystals (to 1.5 cm) and group of crystals (to 4 cm) without matrix. Adding to this he has a few specimens of canary yellow canary yellow elongated rhombohedra of calcite from Mina El Potosi at Sta Eulalia. This is not all, he has a few Bishop hat calcite twins on matrix from Mina Hercules, Coahuila, and datolite groups with crystals to 3-4 cm exhibiting a great luster from Charcas. An abundance of bluish grey Smithsonite with goethite from Sta Eulalia can be bought. The Smithsonite has an incredible luster. Further, the room contained blue Hemimorphite rhodocrosite and more all from Sta Eulalia.

The next door gas station hosted a couple of Mexican dealers, of which Jose Angel, had some amethyst with good luster and crystals to 1 cm from Rancho Villa Real, Mina La Morada, Durango.

Further south, you get to the Motel 6, not an official venue but with some dealers. Jesus Salinas was there and had brought with him some of the wulfenite on mottramite/descloizite with him, some great vanadinite from the Cock’s Orebody, Mina San Antonio Sta Eulalia, much better than what was at the show last year, some super gemmy nifontovite from Charcas as thumbnails and toenails, and more.

This is about it, let’s look at photo’s from the TCH. Later from the west side of the I-10

IMG_1976.JPG
 Description:
As you drive down, Tucson welcomes you
 Viewed:  50120 Time(s)

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG
 Description:
Amethyst on Calcite
Las Vigas, Veracruz, Mexico
Large miniature
Arkenstone Specimen
 Viewed:  50101 Time(s)

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_2000.JPG
 Description:
Amethyst on Calcite
Las Vigas, Veracruz, Mexico
Large miniature
Arkenstone specimen
 Viewed:  50104 Time(s)

IMG_2000.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG
 Description:
Cuproadamite and Mottramite
Mina Ojuela, Mapimi, Durango, Mexico
various
Arkenstone shelf
 Viewed:  50139 Time(s)

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_2005.JPG
 Description:
Wulfenite on mimetite
Mina San Francisco, Sonora
various
Spirifer Minerals
 Viewed:  50137 Time(s)

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2037.JPG
 Description:
Baryte
Mina Milpillas, Sonora, Mexico
Cabinet
Valenzuela Minerals
 Viewed:  50088 Time(s)

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG
 Description:
Brochantite
Cabinet
Valenzuela Minerals
 Viewed:  50108 Time(s)

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2031.JPG
 Description:
Brochantite
cabinet to miniature
Valenzuela Minerals
 Viewed:  50105 Time(s)

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG
 Description:
Grossular Garnet
Sierra de Cruces Coahuila Mexico
various
Xtal - Dennis Beals Minerals
 Viewed:  50082 Time(s)

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG
 Description:
Grossular Garnet
various
 Viewed:  50087 Time(s)

IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG
 Description:
Grossular Garnet
Cabinet
 Viewed:  50100 Time(s)

IMG_2011.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2013 21:26    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Jean Sendero wrote:
...some deep yellow orange blocky wulfenite on descloizite and or mottramite from Mina Ojuela Mapimi. Maybe both minerals are forming the matrix, the jury is out on this at the moment...

The jury already decided Jean ;-) I knew yesterday afternoon that they were analyzed and they are Descloizites instead of Mottramites, that's why I wrote "Descloizite (not Mottramite)" on my comment.

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2013 01:41    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Jordi,

we maybe speaking of different "types" of specimens. One is dark and looks like descloizite and the other is light which may be mottramite. I will have my jury finish it's deliberations by the end of next week or earlier. Some pics below.

IMG_2046.JPG
 Description:
Wulfenite on Descloizite (?)
7 cm across
 Viewed:  50008 Time(s)

IMG_2046.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG
 Description:
Wulfenite on Mottramite (?)
9 cm across
 Viewed:  50012 Time(s)

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG
 Description:
Pyrargyrite
Oaxaca
3-4 cm high
Crystals from Heaven specimen
 Viewed:  49986 Time(s)

IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG
 Description:
Flat of sulfosalts
Oaxaca
various to cabinet
 Viewed:  49997 Time(s)

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG
 Description:
Calcite twin
Mina Hercules, Coahuila
Cabinet
 Viewed:  49981 Time(s)

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2023.JPG
 Description:
Calcite
Mina El Potosi, Sta Eulalia Mexico
Cabinet
 Viewed:  49974 Time(s)

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG
 Description:
Quartz var Amethyst
Mina Lamorada, Rancho Villa Real, Durango
Cabinet
Jose Angel specimen
 Viewed:  49954 Time(s)

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG
 Description:
Wulfenite on Descloizite (?) mottramite (?)
Miniature to small cabinet
Jesus Salinas Specimen
 Viewed:  50007 Time(s)

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG
 Description:
Vanadinite
Mina San Antonio, Sta Eulalia, Chihuahua Mexico
Large miniature
Jesus Salinas Specimen
 Viewed:  49981 Time(s)

IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG
 Description:
Vanadinite
Mina San Antonio, Sta Eulalia, Chihuahua Mexico
Large Cabinet
Jesus Salinas Specimen
 Viewed:  49965 Time(s)

IMG_1984.JPG

keldjarn

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2013 03:55    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Matt and Jean.

Thank you for your reports and pictures, They are very much appreciated. Sadly I was unable to visit Tucson this year and miss the action. Keep the reports and pictures coming !

Knut

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2013 22:29    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Thanks for the encouragement Knut.

Yesterday I didn't get to the show until 5pm. I spent most of my time in Tomasz and Asia's room and there I had a beer and looked at vanadinite, Rogerley fluorite, and other things. Picts below. Jesse Fisher and Ian Jones came by and then Dudley Blauwet showed up and gave us an update of the craziness in Pakistan/Afghanistan. More people showed up and it was an interesting conversation.

Today Fine Minerals International opened up and i spent most of my day there. I saw many people and many wonderful minerals. Daniel extended his house toward the Inn Suites and now has an incredible space. He also has new cabinets that are very nice. I didn't do a good job of documenting what he had but the few picts i took are shown below.

After leaving Daniel's house I wandered around the Inn Suites and ended up at Tomasz and Asia's room where i learned that Krupnick is a fun but dangerous beverage.

IMG_0145.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  49823 Time(s)

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  49849 Time(s)

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG
 Description:
Vanadinite from Mibladen with 2 generations of growth - and inner greenish zone surrounded by a tan zone.
 Viewed:  49793 Time(s)

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0151-001.JPG
 Description:
closeup of IMG_0151
 Viewed:  49835 Time(s)

IMG_0151-001.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG
 Description:
Calcite
Linwwod
There were Linwood calcites and Barytes in a number of rooms.
 Viewed:  49810 Time(s)

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  49801 Time(s)

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG
 Description:
I know it is just a stibnite wand but look at that termination - sharp.
 Viewed:  49830 Time(s)

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  49864 Time(s)

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG
 Description:
Beryl (Heliodor)
Volodarsk-Volynskii
14.5 x 5.5 x 3
A heliodor that just called to me.
 Viewed:  49860 Time(s)

IMG_0163.JPG

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2013 23:01    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Today i went to the Riverpark Inn, and this show appears to be growing. Aisha and Arif of Rocksaholics had their usual assortment gemmy goodness. Arkenstone also had quite an assortment in two rooms. Sandra Gonzales of Rocky Mountain Gems & Minerals had a great selection of old well-documented Tsumeb material; picts below. I also met a very gracious Ghulam Mustafa of Fine Art Minerals, this his first year at Tucson, with an excellent selection of PAK and AFG material; picts below.

IMG_0172.JPG
 Description:
Azurite
Tsumeb
I remembered this Tsumeb azurite from the Inn Suites. Sandra Gonzales moved it to the Riverpark Inn when she opened up her room there.
 Viewed:  49478 Time(s)

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG
 Description:
Azurite
Tsumeb
 Viewed:  49523 Time(s)

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG
 Description:
Anglesite
Tsumeb
 Viewed:  49501 Time(s)

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG
 Description:
Smithsonite
Tsumeb
Nice big xtals!
 Viewed:  49504 Time(s)

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG
 Description:
Smithsonite
Tsumeb
 Viewed:  49446 Time(s)

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG
 Description:
Beudantite
Tsumeb
 Viewed:  49464 Time(s)

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG
 Description:
Beudantite
Tsumeb
 Viewed:  49496 Time(s)

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
Huanzala
In the Riverpark Arkenstone room.
 Viewed:  49439 Time(s)

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG
 Description:
Tourmaline
Stak Nala
A cute and colorful Stak Nala Tourmaline
 Viewed:  49488 Time(s)

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG
 Description:
Smithsonite
Tsumeb
 Viewed:  49470 Time(s)

IMG_0191.JPG

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2013 23:13    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

IMG_0193.JPG
 Description:
Tourmaline
Stak Nala
In Ghulam Mustafa's (Fine Art Minerals) room.
 Viewed:  49566 Time(s)

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG
 Description:
Brookite
 Viewed:  49540 Time(s)

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG
 Description:
Brookite
 Viewed:  49495 Time(s)

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG
 Description:
Brookite
 Viewed:  49428 Time(s)

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG
 Description:
Aquamarine
 Viewed:  49872 Time(s)

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG
 Description:
Aquamarine
 Viewed:  49460 Time(s)

IMG_0207.JPG

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 22:06    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Today I was at the Inn Suites again. My first stop was Dan & Diana Weinrich's room off the main lobby. There i saw a very lustrous Berbes fluorite that caught my eye, pict below. I had some nice chats in Jordi's room and there someone pointed me to a Chinese dealer with pink fluorites from the famous new inner mongolia locality. This dealer (Guilin De Tian), located at the SE corner of one of the inner buildings, had several different styles of fluorites from that locality - picts below.

IMG_0209.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
Berbes
Very lustrous.
 Viewed:  49080 Time(s)

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
Huanggang (Huanggangliang) Mine, Inner Mongolia
 Viewed:  49117 Time(s)

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
 Viewed:  49115 Time(s)

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG
 Description:
Helvite
 Viewed:  48983 Time(s)

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
 Viewed:  49058 Time(s)

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  49014 Time(s)

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
 Viewed:  49033 Time(s)

IMG_0224.JPG

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 22:18    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Worth a separate post IMHO are the super gemmy fluorites with wild etching or growth features, also from Huanggangliang. When one of these first caught my eye, I thought it was a Jeffrey garnet, then it looked like an incredibly transparent sphalerite, and finally it became apparent that it was fluorite. These, I believe, are worth a look.

IMG_0226.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
 Viewed:  49040 Time(s)

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
 Viewed:  49082 Time(s)

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
 Viewed:  48968 Time(s)

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
 Viewed:  48983 Time(s)

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
 Viewed:  48959 Time(s)

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
 Viewed:  48955 Time(s)

IMG_0235.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 23:50    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Matt_Zukowski wrote:
...There i saw a very lustrous Berbes fluorite that caught my eye, pict below....

Sorry to tell you that this Fluorite is not from Berbes but from Jaimina mine (see: https://www.mindat.org/loc-7054.html )

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 03:53    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Thanks Jordi.

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 00:06    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Today I went to the Westward Look and I'd say more than half of the rooms were open, even though the show does not officially open up until tomorrow.

On a side note, I'd like to say that there is no rhyme or reason to my photo taking or photo posting. I seem to pull out the camera (phone) at random. I want to make it clear that i do not favor any dealer - frankly just about everyone has some rock and some story that is interesting to me. Just because I post a bunch of photos from one room and none from another does not mean that I endorse one dealer more than another.

IMG_0342.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
China
In Crystal Classics room was this fluorite that is neat in itself but making it extra special was that it had a fluid inclusion with a bubble. Sorry about the pict, but it was interesting and I wanted to mention it.
 Viewed:  48289 Time(s)

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
Shangbao
The next two picts are of a Shangbao Fluorite with great 3-dimensionality.
 Viewed:  48295 Time(s)

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  48282 Time(s)

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG
 Description:
This piece was very clean, with just a hint of a contact on the magnesite on the back. I think this combo is very aesthetic,
 Viewed:  48288 Time(s)

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG
 Description:
Dolomite with magnesite
Pomba Pit, Brumado, Brazil
 Viewed:  48274 Time(s)

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG
 Description:
Arsenopyrite
Santo Domingo, Mexico
A very clean mexican arsenopyrite in Pala's room.
 Viewed:  48285 Time(s)

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG
 Description:
Galena
Neudorf, Harz Mountains, Germany
Also in Pala's room.
 Viewed:  48247 Time(s)

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG
 Description:
Tourmaline
I think this comes from Paprok. In Wayne Thompson's room.
 Viewed:  48268 Time(s)

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG
 Description:
Smithsonite
Kelly Mine
This is of of the coolest smithsonites I have seen in terms of the way light plays over the specimen. Perhaps the term is chatoyant. In any case, it just shimmers as the specimen is turned in light. In Tom Spann's room.
 Viewed:  48302 Time(s)

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  48265 Time(s)

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  48261 Time(s)

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG
 Description:
Hematite
Tormiq, PAK
Also in Tom Spann's room, a hematite rose that looks more like a rose than any I have seen.
 Viewed:  48248 Time(s)

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG
 Description:
A well-composed Los Lomentos Wulfenite.
 Viewed:  48274 Time(s)

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG
 Description:
Rubellite
Jonas Mine, Minas Gerais
Excellent color, luster, and gemmyness, if small. From the Perkins Sam collection.
 Viewed:  48249 Time(s)

IMG_0385.JPG

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 00:44    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

IMG_0389.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  48262 Time(s)

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  48269 Time(s)

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  48223 Time(s)

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG
 Description:
Galena
Sweetwater
A very lustrous galena from sweetwater. In Sunnywood's room.
 Viewed:  48219 Time(s)

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
Shangbao
A more purple shangbao fluorite. Also in Sunnywood's room.
 Viewed:  48224 Time(s)

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG
 Description:
Liddicoatite
Antanetinilapa (Estatoby), Madagascar
A big fat liddicoatite with good color and transparency considering the size and locality. In Watzl's room.
 Viewed:  48254 Time(s)

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  48257 Time(s)

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG
 Description:
The stand they are using to light this liddicoatite is very cool.
 Viewed:  48258 Time(s)

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG
 Description:
A fun large feldspar in Scott Werschky's room.
 Viewed:  48292 Time(s)

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG
 Description:
Amazonite
Smokey Hawk, Teller Co, CO
A cool amazonite cluster.
 Viewed:  48287 Time(s)

IMG_0415.JPG

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 9