We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 04:42

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2013
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2013 15:26    Post subject: Tucson Show 2013  

The "Mecca" of the minerals and the mineralogy is almost here. Serve this poster (kindly provided for the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™) to announce the next arrival of the collector's dream, the desert's madness, the unmissable meeting point! ;-)

Ladies & Gentleman, Tucson Show arrives. Please download here all your feelings, thoughts, images... with the help of everybody we will build a large window to show this gigantic event to those who can not attend.

2013 European correspondent of the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™

Tucson 2013 - TGMS_poster.jpg
 Description:
The topic of this year is the Fluorite, the richness of color and crystallography...
 Viewed:  64768 Time(s)

Tucson 2013 - TGMS_poster.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

valere

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 11:35    Post subject: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

Hi to all

This time I could not resist to the attraction of Tucson Shows and booked flights and accomodations for the first one! However unlike other shows, Tucson is more than to be in one place at the right moment to start to hunt in a systematic organized way and have fun. In a few days, impossible to make it all, so a bit of preparation is needed to be in the good places at the right time, enjoying a few selected places according to my mineral tastes and in full autonomy.

Is there a website or someone that could be giving the following informations:
- all the shows, their places on a map, their "set up", "unpacking" days and "official" opening days.
- the shuttles with their schedules and timing.
- the best outdoor places and camps where foreign (Mexicans...) dealers/miners bring ther minerals

And, more personnaly, the places where the best dealers for the minerals of the SW (Arizona classic localities and Mexico) are, and when they unpack? I guess many FMF users know well this show and could give me some informations about that last important question.

Thanks to all! Val

arturo shaw

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 12:05    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

Luky you!

Don't forget to post the info you can collect, one of those years I will manage to go...

Peter knows everything about Tucson, don't know if he's coming...

Enjoy!

Arturo

John Betts

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 12:14    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

First I suggest reading my article: A Guide to the Tucson Mineral Shows for First-Time Visitors

Show dates and venues change each year. The Tucson Show Guide is available online.

Unfortunately this forum prevents me from posting links, but a google search will find them.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 12:19    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

John Betts wrote:
First I suggest reading my article: A Guide to the Tucson Mineral Shows for First-Time Visitors

Show dates and venues change each year. The Tucson Show Guide is available online.

Unfortunately this forum prevents me from posting links, but a google search will find them.

John, please follow the instructions you will find here -> Links within the message forum and you will post all links you want! ;-)

So, if you write:
http(://)www(.)johnbetts-fineminerals(.)com/jhbnyc/articles/tucson(.)htm
http(://)www(.)jewelryshowguide(.)com/

I will "normalize" it immediately as:
https://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/articles/tucson.htm
https://www.jewelryshowguide.com/

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 12:32    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

Hello Valere,

Tucson is a huge, long, and totally overwhelming thing. The first thing I will say to you (or any first-time visitor) is do not even dream of seeing it all. This is not possible. One must focus on the shows that are the most likely to have what one is interested in. For the mineral collector, this is fairly easy as you can immediately discount all the gem and jewelry-related shows (and there are many).

The three main venues for minerals are:
The Arizona Mineral and Fossil Show, Tucson City Center (InnSuites) Hotel, Feb. 2-16
The Westward Look Fine Mineral Show, Feb. 8-11
The TGMS (convention center) show, Feb. 14-17

There is also a smaller bunch of mineral dealers at the Pueblo Inn show. I am not quite sure of the dates, but will be similar to the InnSuites show.

All of the above shows are very much worthwhile attending. You will perhaps find the greatest assortment of dealers at the InnSuites show. The Westward Look show is aimed primarily at high-end (and expensive) specimens, and is definitely worth seeing even if it is out of your price range. The TGMS show is incredible in that for one weekend each year, it is the best mineral museum in the world. There are also very good dealers and a program of lectures around the show theme.

I know that shuttles will run periodically, but they will take up a good bit of your time dealing with them. If you can rent a car you will be able to spend much more time looking at minerals and less time waiting for the bus.

And one last note for European visitors - at European mineral shows it is customary to conduct business during setup. This is generally frowned on at American shows, and if your caught trying to buy specimens at the TGMS during setup, you may be told to leave the show. The rules are a little more flexible at the hotel shows, but generally, most dealers do not want to be bothered until they are finished with their rooms and displays and "officially" open their doors. Also, please remember that, unlike Europe, restaurant waiters and bar tenders here in the US depend on tips for much of their pay, so if you appreciate the service, please leave a tip.

Hope you have a good visit.
Jesse

Susan Robinson

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 18:35    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

In addition to Jesse's good advice, dress totally casual for everything there. Wear your most comfortable shoes or sneaks, and try to have your monies, credit cards, etc., in a fanny pack or some other such thing around your waist. Anything carried over your arm or on your back can be cumbersome and inconvenient, especially while in a crowded dealer's room.
For eating at restaurants, the places fill up fast after 6 pm, so either get there earlier or you may be waiting in line for quite some time, unless you are on a fast-food-only budget. It's the same thing with food at the main show - buy lunch ahead of the rush, or you will not find a seat left at one of the tables.
Enjoy it all, but take time for breaks away from the hubbub, or you may end up burnt out from "mineral overload" before you know it. There are several nice parks in Tucson that provide a quiet respite from the madding crowds, and the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is not to be missed.

valere

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2013 01:39    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

Thanks to all for these advices and great links! I can't wait!
My first accomodation includes breakfast and dinner followed by relax outdoor social evenings, that should rule out starvation!
The second accomodation is on the edge of the desert, that will be perfect to make a break and recover (with at least one full day in the desert), away from the crowds, from "mineral overload" and "mineral fever" the last symptom invented by a German friend while seeing me in Munich at the start of the hunts!
4 missions:
1) get a few rocks, including one or two very good one
2) have fun and enjoy the sun
3) learn the place and meet a few key peoples in the hobby for further longer and more participative visits
4) get back home, fit and relaxed to get back to my hospital work immediately
Cheers!
Valère

robynahawk

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2013 07:20    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

This is current info...shows listed on the left - click the show you will get vendors, layout...pretty much everything you need.

https://www.xpopress.com/AZ-show-schedule.html
(link normalized by FMF)

Robyn

Home at flyviewsandreviews.blogspot com

Greg Toomey

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2013 19:42    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

Just a little advice:Take in a few of the dealers before making any purchases. Quality and prices vary from room to room, tent to tent, etc. Pace yourself - easier said than done. It's very easy to spend your budget early - but if you do, just spend the rest of the time enjoying yourself and the Tucson experience. Tucson is a never-ending learning curve. Also, If you see something that you really want, don't hesitate too long or it may be gone. Over the last 18 years of seriously buying at Tucson, I've had about 6 specimens that got away from me - and they still haunt me to this day (but only when I think about them - which isn't too often). Lastly, don't get fooled into buying because of a lot of people rushing into a dealer's room. I've seen a lot of this over the years, and often, when it's over, most (if not all) of the specimens people got excited about are still there. Have a great time!

Rocksaholics

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2013 02:15    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

Greetings Jesse and Valere,

We would like to add to the helpful information already provided.
Besides the other locations mentioned for minerals in Tucson, here is some information with reference to the long and well established Pueblo Gem & Mineral Show. The dates for this show is from February 2ND-13TH. some dealers at this venue open for business a couple of days earlier and even close a couple of days after the 13TH.

Since 2010, The International Fine Mineral Building 'IFMB", is a venue established at this show, which specializes only in minerals. There are 20 diverse all ground floor dealers housed in the IFMB in a very convenient and easily accessible location with ample parking arranged for 2013. Additionally, there will be three mineral subject related symposiums to be held in the courtyard of the IFMB, followed by a complimentary wine & cheese party on February 4TH, 6TH and 8Th. This will be a relaxing and fun venue to meet all interested in minerals and relax after a busy day.

If our moderators permit,, we will be happy to post the invitation on this Forum,which can be printed and presented at one or all three of the symposiums.

Valere, We hope your visit to theTucson Gem & Mineral Show 2013, will be an exciting and wonderful experience.

valere

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2013 06:09    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

A warm thanks for all the advices and links!

Sure the buying strategy will not be the same than in European shows I usaully attend (Munich and Sainte Marie), bargains, unknown novelties and top specimens at fair price will be more difficult to obtain since in most cases, hundreds will have seen them before me... To avoid to saturation I will focus my searches on things difficult to obtain in Europe in outstanding quality, and above all try to find one excellent specimen of some of the following: San Fransisco wulfenite, Tiger Leadhillite, American crystallized gold

I will make my menu and plans by next week to make it fun! Taking a few 2011 Congolese Pseudomorphs and 2012 Congolese azurites with me (and Belgian beer and chocolate)!

Looking forward meeting many of you in real life, the 2 weeks left will allow Tucson to get back its legendary winter warmth!

Valère

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2013 08:46    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

Question for Rockaholics:

Are the Pueblo Gem & Mineral Show and the International Fine Mineral Building one and the same? If so, why two different names? The second name is unfortunately too similar to the Fine Minerals International facility, which I am sure is not the one you are referring to. Additionally, the IFMB is not listed in the 2013 Tucson Show Guide. Very confusing.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2013 06:54    Post subject: Re: Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)  

valere wrote:
Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner (valere)

Although the thread created previously for Valere is quite personal, I believe that is so useful for beginners in Tucson and it fits so well my idea to join different thoughts / feelings, that I merged the thread of Valere in this main thread: "Tucson Show 2013"

I hope that more "Tucsonians" and FMFers join this thread from now until the end of the Show at the far February... Tucson is a so long show! ;-)

Joaquim Callen

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2013 06:31    Post subject: Tucson Show 2013 - New Book  

Dear gold collector and/or dealer

We are preparing a book about gold, the name of the book will be “Gold for Collectors”. It will have about 300 pages and be in a large format: 23x32 cm., very high quality paper, printing, binding, photos and text. In the attached slide presentation you can see some of the photos from the book.

We will print 2000 copies in the standard edition, we will also print a special luxury edition, leather binding, numbered for bibliophiles consisting of only 30 copies.

We already have a lot of photos and we are working in the text. If you have any interesting gold specimen that you consider suitable for this book, please contact us. We can take photos of your pieces during the 2013 Tucson Show, we will be in the Tucson City Center Hotel (former Inn Suites), our room will be number 506. You can contact us in our room or also contact us via the “Jungle Buyer” (Alejandro Stern's room 245).

You can also help with the book by sponsoring pages. Ask us how.

See you soon in Tucson!

Joaquim Callén
P.S.: I can also travel to take photos of gold in your collection.

To see it click on the image or in this link and you will access to the PPS with all the images

GOLD_for_COLLECTORS-The_Book-20.jpg
 Description:
Gold
Near Elko, Nevada, USA
Crystal of 6 mm
Mauna and Keith Proctor specimen
 Viewed:  64252 Time(s)

GOLD_for_COLLECTORS-The_Book-20.jpg

GOLD_for_COLLECTORS-The_Book-21.jpg
 Description:
Gold
Placer County, California, USA
6 cm
Kristalle – Crystal Classic specimen
 Viewed:  64305 Time(s)

GOLD_for_COLLECTORS-The_Book-21.jpg

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2013 06:53    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

This book sounds interesting. And Joaquim's photography is always very good.

Is the first gold picture of a tetrahexahedron? What locality is this from? How common is this habit in general and from this locality? Very cool!

Joaquim Callen

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2013 12:55    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Hello
Thank you for your interest. Yes, this crystal is tetrahexahedron, is 4 mm in size, and is from Ikabarú, Santa Elena de Uairén, Venezuela. This habitus is not uncommon in gold crystals, but for me the most interesting is the crest in the edges between the faces.
Joaquim Callén

robynahawk

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2013 05:00    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Joaquim - have you seen the story of the gold nugget that was found on a beach in Australia?

Here is the article:

"Metal detector aficionados, rejoice! Man finds 12-pound gold nugget

A metal-detector-wielding amateur gold prospector is the envy of professional gold-diggers after unearthing this gargantuan 12-pound nugget. The $315,000 specimen is said to be the largest lump of gold ever discovered in Ballarat, Australia. Before you rush out to grab a cheapo detector, it’s worth noting that, according to the YouTube description, the unnamed prospector has a super-nerdy model worth around $6,000, "a Minelab GPX 5000 … with an Advantage Plus 'Sadie' mono [elliptical] coil, and a Rooster Booster audio enhancer." All that technology paid off: The guy detected his find buried 2 feet under, with a buzzing in his ears that sounded "like the [hood] of a car through the head phones."

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/1241013/gold-nugget-found-near-ballarat/?cs=62
(link normalized by FMF)

Robyn

Home at flyviewsandreviews.blogspot com

valere

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2013 11:19    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2013  

Hello Jordi!
Good idea to mix my topic "Tucson 2013: a survival kit for the beginner" in the global subject Tucson 2013 subject!
All the data will help for the planning I will fix next WE! And also browse through Gail's reports that are the best to recognise and meet as many "locals" as I can! Obviously, no malaria tablets needed!
Also to pack a few rocks, summer clothes and fill the suitcase holes with Belgian beers to share on evenings!
See you there!
I will post pics and give my impressions on the way back from the mineral jungle here, and in my collector's club!
Sure it will be like all big oversea trips: one or two days to adapt and mark the territory, and the remaining to feel like at home
Cheers
Val

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2013 17:11    Post subject: Tucson Show 2013 - Warning from Ludmila Cheshko!  

In https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=27895#27895 Rocksaholics wrote:
All Members Of FMF Forum Are Cordially Invited:

Receptions for all events: 6.30 -7.30 pm
Presentations: 7.30 – 9.30 pm
Courtyard of The International Fine Mineral Building.
Riverpark Inn 350 South Freeway Road. Tucson. Arizona. USA.
Complimentary Wine & Cheese Party (Non Alcoholic Wine Available)
Complimentary Self Parking.

February 4:
Kevin Brown of The Arkenstone:
“Mineral Collecting Past Present and Future”
&
Stanley Keith of MagmaChem Exploration:
“New Ideas on the Origin of Oil: A Herkimer Diamond Case History from New York”.

February 6:
Mindat.org Presents:
Tomasz Praszkier “Milbaden, The Most Famous Moroccan Locality”
John Veevaert “Mineral Fakes, What to Look For and What To Do When You Find One”
Mark Mauthner “A Short Report from the 2nd International Mindat.org Conference.

February 8: Mineralogical Almanac Evening
Michael Leybov and Ludmila Cheshko from Russia
Celebrate 20 Years in Mineralogical Publishing.

Ludmila Cheshko from Mineralogical Almanac passes this warning:

Mineralogical Almanac Evening
at the Pueblo Gem and Mineral Show
is rescheduled to 2014 pending an
evaluation of Mike's medical condition to travel

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 9
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  

Jump to: