We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 04:19

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Mineral Shows by Gail Spann

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gail

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 09:01    Post subject: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

Part 1. Wed. and Thursday.

Marty and Rose Zinn did a fine job of organizing this grassroots gem and mineral show located in W. Springfield, Massachusetts. The weather was precarious overall, but the crowds didn't slow down and the steady "drizzle" of people downplayed the steady "drizzle" of rain!

After my daughter dropped me off at the airport in Dallas I found myself in the good company of Marshall Sussman, a total surprise to see him on the same flight. During the flight he hand delivered me cookies from first class, as I was back in the economy section where no cookies could be found without paying a premium! ha ha! Marshall is a truly nice guy.

I arrived on Wed. afternoon, sans Jim, and I found the airport to be small and comfortable to navigate. My luggage was quickly found and I hopped on the Avis bus to find my rental car, all the while hoping my suitcase would not be a problem to fit into a tiny trunk. My fears were gone when I found they had biggie sized the vehicle to an Endeavour, a small but nice SUV.

Upon finding my hotel, thanks to my trusty packed TomTom GPS, I managed to run into Tom Nagin from Arkansas. He had a truck load of helpers and a trailer to rival one of our Texas horse trailers. He was in good spirits and we managed a quick chat before entering the hotel. After settling in, unpacking and making a home away from home, I called Dave Bunk to let him know I was in town.
I was flown in to see the set up on Thursday of the special exhibits section the Oboddas were putting in as we are the guest exhibitors there, next year.
Dave mentioned Lobster and that was like a gong going off inside my head, I grew up in the Boston area and ate lobster often. We downsized when moving to Texas, which is odd in itself as most everything in Texas is bigger, and settled for the tasty smaller crawfish. But lobster? Heaven!

I met up with Dave and the Oboddas, the Weinrichs and a friend of theirs, Dave ,as well as the team of Mike and Diana Hopkins. It was a fabulous meal and lots of fun talk and catching up. This is such a treat and a great deal of the fun of mineral shows...catching up and talking to friends.

Up early the next morning, Thursday, to find the big "E" as they call the location of the show. I came in and got my special exhibits badge and caught up with Herb and Moni as they had already set up a few of the exhibits and were, systematically, doing each case. They air conditioning is not on for the set up day as the big doors are open and cars and trucks are driving through the aisles and finding tight spaces to navigate, what a fiasco but not a single hitch!
I got a firsthand lesson in how to organize and deliver, set up 53 cases of exhibits. Wow! I saw some tools in a box that had been brought along, I photo'd everything in it as well as a photo of each case, storage of each case, etc. I measured the interior, exterior, height of the table they sit on, height of the top of the cabinet from the floor, etc. And I was blown away when Herb and Moni finished the whole thing in 5 1/2 hours!
They also took a high resolution digital photo of each display before sliding the thick glass in. Herb had a towel draped around his neck to keep dry due to the lack of A/C.
Moni looked as though she was "glowing"!

Dave Bunk, Scott Werschky, Mike Bergmann and I went out to dinner at a Cajun restaurant, which is funny because they are everywhere here in Texas, but it was a hoot..the name was Chef Wayne's Big Mamou. It was also not in a great area of Springfield, but we had no troubles...oh, and you have to bring your own booze, so we had a couple of bottles of wine. What fun! I had a grand time laughing and joking with the three fellows and was totally exhausted by the time I made it back to the hotel.
I still managed to sit up till 2 a.m. finalizing my power point for the talk I was giving on Friday afternoon.

( Willl add photos in the next box, I have to download them from my laptop to my external hard drive )

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 09:44    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

Some photos...

herbcamersm.JPG
 Description:
Herb taking photos before glass is inserted in cabinet. Good way to keep a visual record.
 Viewed:  40743 Time(s)

herbcamersm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 09:47    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

Herb and Moni were very focused on set up and were experts at making it flow well.

HerbMonisetup08sm.JPG
 Description:
Herb and Moni Obodda during set up of 2008 exhibit.
 Viewed:  40746 Time(s)

HerbMonisetup08sm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 09:51    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

This is a small section of the 53 cases the annual guest exhibitor gets to fill. It is a huge honour and a huge task! Herb and Moni had incredible displays but you can see the work involved.

Herb53casessm.JPG
 Description:
Daunting amount of work? Not for the Oboddas.
 Viewed:  40713 Time(s)

Herb53casessm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 09:54    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

LAST CASE! You can see their delight in finishing up with the last case, it is the only one that is larger or different than all the other 52 cabinets.

Lastcasesm.JPG
 Description:
Last case!
 Viewed:  40749 Time(s)

Lastcasesm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 09:57    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

Prof. Nancy Millard did a great presentation each day, this was Friday and it was a talk on Quartz. It was very educational, informative and interesting.

NancyMillardpresentssm.JPG
 Description:
Prof. Nancy Millard talks about quartz.
 Viewed:  40785 Time(s)

NancyMillardpresentssm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 10:01    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

Backing up to set up day, Diana Hopkins helping the Weinrichs. This was a busy event, everyone was hustling to get things finished so they could leave and clean up, get something to eat and visit with friends.

setupdaysm.JPG
 Description:
Diana Hopkins
 Viewed:  40712 Time(s)

setupdaysm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 10:03    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

Marty Zinn and me at the Springfield show. He is amazingly calm as compared to Denver or Tucson!

MartyGailSpringfieldsm.JPG
 Description:
Marty Zinn and Gail Spann
 Viewed:  40741 Time(s)

MartyGailSpringfieldsm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 10:06    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

This is Herb Obodda giving a 6 1/2 hour private tour of their cabinets to Jim, my Father in Law Frank Spann, and me. I took the photo. The concrete floor is tough to stand on, but it was WELL worth it to get the tour!

JimFrankHerbsm.JPG
 Description:
Obodda tour...
 Viewed:  40740 Time(s)

JimFrankHerbsm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 10:09    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

One of my favourite pieces in the Obodda collection, a miner with a viewing area inside when you open his jacket. Herb and Moni found this at an antiques show and it was a long story of a seller who was a jerk to them, their leaving, Moni talking Herb into going back, and Herb buying it despite the nasty attitude of the seller who insisted it was NOT a miner figurine at all! Herb got the last laugh as, after all, it was indeed a miner!

Minercarvedsm.JPG
 Description:
Miner figurine.
 Viewed:  40717 Time(s)

Minercarvedsm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 10:11    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

One of the Obodda display that caught my eye.

Oboddadisplaysm.JPG
 Description:
Obodda display
 Viewed:  40731 Time(s)

Oboddadisplaysm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 10:14    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

Mining Memorabelia from the Obodda collection.

Miningmemorabeliasm.JPG
 Description:
Mining trinkets.
 Viewed:  40731 Time(s)

Miningmemorabeliasm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 10:15    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

What an eye catching display!

Oboddadisplaysm1.JPG
 Description:
Obodda collection.
 Viewed:  40715 Time(s)

Oboddadisplaysm1.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 10:17    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

The photo in the background had a pile of blocks of reddish brown salt. Pakistan.

Saltphotosm.JPG
 Description:
Minerals and Salt photo
 Viewed:  40730 Time(s)

Saltphotosm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 10:19    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

Tasteful displays of photos and minerals, books, etc.

mineralsphotosm.JPG
 Description:
Obodda display.
 Viewed:  40724 Time(s)

mineralsphotosm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 10:23    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

This painting was done by Fred Wilda and was presented to the Oboddas as a gift. Each year the show guest exhibitor gets to have their mineral on the show poster, the tee shirt and are given the painting reproduction ( Limited edition ) custom framed as a gift. This piece was one that belonged to George Kunz and was featured in Paris in the late 19th century. The book has a lovely painting of the piece and is part of the display and provenance. Herb has a great story about the piece, involving a famous NY dealer who almost bought it from Herb, but Herb had discovered the history of the piece and held on to it.
Perhaps something to crow about?

signaturepiecesm.JPG
 Description:
Poster child piece.
 Viewed:  40662 Time(s)

signaturepiecesm.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 11:11    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

Part 2.
Friday.

I had slept a bit fitfully, I was hoping my 44 slides on the Power Point were enough to show for the Women's perspective of mineral collecting talk I was giving at 4 p.m. today.
I always get nervous before a talk, although once I start I am fine.

I knew Jim was flying in later, after my talk, and was glad to know he was arriving. My in laws were driving down and going to attend the show and spend some of the weekend with us. They are in their 80's but sharp and in very good health, so they drove the 3 1/2 hours from N. Syracuse to visit.

I had breakfast with the Oboddas before heading over to the show and entered to a whole new world from the day before. The show was in full swing and Rose Zinn told me, at the end of the day, that 3400 people had paid to enter. On a friday, that was NOT bad!

My in laws arrived and we had a chance to do introductions to many friends. I was to help Nancy Millard with my computer for her PP show on Quartz. At 2 we head up to the lecture room and got her memory stick ready for a friend of hers to run on my laptop.
Well, we had problems...the show was on my laptop, but the cable refused to put it on the projector! Nancy was a trooper, she managed to talk through most of the first half before we got the glitch resolved. I learned quite a bit, as did my in-laws!

So, when her show ended, I had an hour to make sure my glitches were worked out.
Tracy and Sue came to visit me and it was one of the highlights of the show! They couldn't hang around for the presentation, but we got a few minutes to talk about things and we had a hug just before they left. I had slipped a photo of Tracy into the presentation I was giving, had wished she could have heard the kudos I gave her, ah well.
Brooks Britt and his wife came to run my PP and we got it settled right before the crowds came in. As you can imagine, I was a bit of a nervous nelly when I figured that we were having problems, but I also know I can TALK with the best of them!
Talking has never been my weakness.

I saw some familiar faces coming in to see my perspective talk. Stuart Wilensky, Irv Brown, Donna Leicht, Rose Zinn and all the ladies on their staff, Dan and Diana Weinrich, Dave Wilber, Mike and Diana Hopkins, John Veevart and many others I have met along the way.

I started my talk on time, had a great time being enthusiastic and humourous, got some good points across and had a nice applause at the end. Many folks hung around to chat with me and exchange contact information. I even got to sign a pamphlet, what a hoot.

My in-laws were just delighted and we were happy to have that finished up so I could relax and enjoy the show weekend. Jim arrived in time, by taxi, and we head off to dinner with John Veevart, Marty and Rose, the Oboddas, and Dave Bunk.

I simply collapsed into bed that night, feeling happy and pleased that the day had gone well and Jim and I had reconnected. He is my best friend as well as husband and we miss each other when apart.

Saturday morning, breakfast with my In Laws. We had a nice chance to catch up on family news and then we went to the show. I never had a chance to shop on Friday, but we were in shopping mode now. This is the fun part, the visiting and chatting with mineral friends, the excitement when someone buys a great specimen and shares a view with you, the digging through flats to find treasures and the chance to meet folks you only know on line. We walked around and introduced ourselves to people like John Betts, whom I have emailed for years but never met in person.

Went to visit Kevin Brown, who works for Arkenstone...he is the coordinator for our MAD group. He was working the show with James, the base maker. Kevin is always good about having a bit of chocolate to share!
Rob Lavinsky came over and introduced us t the fellow that bought Keith Proctor's collection. I had met him the day before and we got a chance to visit. Nice enough fellow!

We hooked up with Jeff Fast, Scott Werschky, Kevin Dixon, the Walkers, as we methodically roamed the aisles. We had a great time buying rarities and nice showy specimens from the Fenders, John and Maryanne, from our MAD group and the Dallas area. How funny we have to travel far, buy and haul back minerals that we might have bought locally?! Such is life.

Herb and Moni gave Jim, my In Laws and me a first class 6 1/2 hour tour of all their display cases. It was a blow by blow talk about each and every item shown. This was so precious and a rare chance to hear it all. They are wonderful people!

We had a nice dinner at the Sheraton, with friends, on Saturday night. Just trying to figure out how much running, bicycling I will need to do to work off the many delicious dinners I had?

Sunday.

Breakfast with my in laws and then we said goodbye to them. The concrete floors are tough on everyone, but more so on my poor mother in law!
We saw them off and head right to the show.

We had trips to the parking lot to see what treasures friends had bought while at the show, we walked all the aisles to pay our respects to friends we hadn't had a chance to visit yet, and we called Carl Davis of the Harvard Museum to set up a visit on Monday. I had a fun time talking bicycling as well as minerals with Ross Lilly.
It was sad to see the show wind down, and my last image was of Jim sitting with flats all around him as though they were boxes of chcolates and he had found the one with the best filling! We found a great source for fabulous T/N's and purchased about 100 or so? I can't quite recall as we are having them shipped. I had a great time digging in the flats too.

We said our goodbyes, hugged Marty and Rose and head to Cambridge to a B & B just down from the Museum. Parking is a nightmare at Harvard, so we just were pleased the establishment had a parking area.
Found a great Chinese restaurant and I even had a Zombie drink for old times sake. I used to hang out near Harvard as a young hippie chick. Peace man!

Monday
Walked over, after having a lovely continental breakfast at the B and B, to Harvard and the Museum. Made it there a couple of minutes early so Jim and I got to sit and talk about some of my old memories of Boston. ( We moved there from Canada while I was quite young. )
Carl had told us to let the desk know when we arrived, so he came to greet us. We had a fabulous visit with him, spending a great portion of the day where I took over 600 photos when all was said and done, and Jim and I got to see drawers full of amazing specimens! Carl is a very easy going and intelligent man and we had a wonderful time!
He had duties, so we had time to explore and be amazed at the variety of minerals we had not heard of before, the beauty of the larger pieces lining the walls, and the provenance of many pieces. It was a treat!

We forgot to mention that it was on and off again rain the whole visit to Massachusetts and we had to drive from Cambridge back to Hartford to fly out. I will save that story for later, I have to go back to school shopping with my daughter and grandsons now.
I will also post photos of the weekend at the show and the Harvard visit when I return.
Hope you enjoy my report so far, it is definately given with a woman's twist!
Best regards, Gail

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 11:24    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

Oh, before I go, Tracy had wondered at my use of the word Grassroots in a description of this show. I mean it, not as a NEW show, but that it isn't full of the glitz and glamour that many shows have...which was a bit refreshing for a change.
This is an old venue and one that is steeped in history and marketplace feel, more basic in approach to selling without all the frills.
Just to clarify.

Tracy

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 11:26    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

We were sorry we couldn't stay too. The kudos are much appreciated...

Tracy

Brooks

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 12:39    Post subject: Re: Gail Spann's write up of East Coast Gem and Mineral show  

Gail,

Excellent report. I also wrote a report on the Mindat Blog. The only real drawback I saw to the building is it needed some work in high traffic areas, specifically the bathrooms. they were deplorable! I also wish the room they set aside for the lectures was larger and more accessible for anyone with a physical handicap. Those stairs were very tricky, especially climbing down. I was concerned that someone was going to take a spill before the weekend was over. That concrete floor was tough wasn't it? I wore my running shoes so I would have a little extra cushioning under my feet. I thought the mix of dealers was excellent. Back in Virginia we have absolutely no shows with any quality mineral dealers. Most shows cater to the public and have plenty of jewelry and beads, yuck! I would love to come back to this show; maybe the ten hour drive from Virginia will soon be a distant memory ;)

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Index -> Mineral Shows by Gail Spann   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: