We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 23, 2024 13:23

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
I Bought a Camera for my Microscope

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

trtlman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2013 15:06    Post subject: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

I bought a Celestron digital microscope imager for my AmScope Dissecting Binocular Stereo Microscope 20x 40x 80x and my AmScope 40X-2000X Biological Compound Microscope with Mechanical Stage. Since I am on this topic what does everyone else use for a microscope and imager? I attached my first image I made, I tried using Combine Z but all I get is a big blurry image.

surface of rock.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  14566 Time(s)

surface of rock.jpg

trtlman

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2013 16:08    Post subject: Re: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

I know a lot of you use Combine ZP can someone help me out? I keep getting either a completely blurry image or an imperfect image that still looks terrible. I tried to follow the instructions in the help page but still can not figure it out. I need simple instructions.

Josele

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2013 19:26    Post subject: Re: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

Daniel, can you give the FOV of this image? Thanks.

trtlman

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2013 20:05    Post subject: Re: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

Josele wrote:
Daniel, can you give the FOV of this image? Thanks.

When I ordered this camera lens the exact magnification of the lens wasn't specified but I estimate it at 30X or 40X so if I did this right the FOV is either .75 or .99, I would say most likely .75. Also if you note in the image one of the problems I am having with Combine ZP is that the right and left edges have a mirrored effect. I either get this or a blur on the edges. I can not get a clear image.

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2013 20:07    Post subject: Re: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

Hi Daniel
Forgive the late reply but I have been somewhat busy getting my collection in order. I use a Steindorf stereo boom microscope and a binocular stage microscope for my work. As for the camera I use a five mega pixel Steindorf camera. I have no pretensions as to being an expert in micro-photography but enjoy learning this side of the work. The microscope is not research grade but I do not require such fine optics and get enjoyment with the equipment as is. As in many endeavors what looks easy is actually quite hard to do as doubtless you have found. Producing fine images such as those found on this site or in publications such as the Mineral Record takes real art and patience. Half the fun is in the trip so congratulations on your camera. I find that the microscope is essential in the enjoyment of minerals and can turn an ordinary specimen into quite a miniature show piece on a small scale. I wish you luck in your pursuit and look forward to following your work.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2013 22:58    Post subject: Re: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

In my experience, focus stacking software usually works well but sometimes some areas come out blurry because the algorithm can't find the right focus depth for some parts of the specimen. Sometimes this happens because there is not enough contrast between different areas of the specimen. Sometimes, it seems that it is not a problem of contrast but something else, perhaps the pattern of contrast over the specimen. Interestingly, in my experience, problem specimens show the same problems with different focus stacking software, perhaps because the algorithms used by all programs are similar. I have specimens that i just can't get a good focus-stacked image from.

But most specimens produce good results. So, if you are having this problem for every specimen, then perhaps you are not using combine Z correctly. I don't use combine Z. I have used Helicon focus, and that seemed to work well. I also have photoshop, and found out that it has a focus stacking algorithm built in. Since photoshop is the best at correcting exposure, I now use it on almost all my pictures. And since I am already going to use photoshop, when i want to do a focus stack, I use photoshop to stitch the photos together.

I have had a lot of fun with mineral photography. Hope you do too.

Vinoterapia

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2013 03:40    Post subject: Re: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

Hi Daniel.

Those blurry, mirrored areas that you get along the edges are caused by combine Z expanding the size of your original photo by some additional pixels. I guess it needs that for its align macro. You can get rid of such area by clicking once in the doubled arrow icon of the menu bar.

While using a microscope, you can get the FOV of your pictures by using a micrometer calibration slide, you can get them in ebay. These slides have a 1 mm mark divided in 0.01 mm ticks, hence you can calculate the FOV for each of the lenses that you use.

Most microscope objectives create a big image distortion from the center to the edge of their field of view, in general the bigger the magnification the bigger the distortion. To produce a throughout clear image, good (and expensive) microscope objectives are needed. However, you can improve the images obtained with Combine Z by giving a constant step to each of the photos in your stacks. In order to do so, you need to know the step (in microns) of the focusing knob of the microscope, and the depth of field (also in microns) of the objectives that you are using. In the Nikon Microscopy page you would find a formula to calculate such figure:
http: //www. microscopyu. com/tutorials/java/depthoffield/index. html

Best regards.

José Luis.

trtlman

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2013 23:48    Post subject: Re: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

Thanks for the info José. I think also the camera is at fault, it is only a 2MP camera. It was all I could afford but it is well worrh what I paid just not as great as high quality professional camera eye pieces. My microscope is on the high end and gives excellent results which aren't seen in the photos. I am saving up for a more expensive camera eyepiece, untill then this is what I what I have..

Vinoterapia

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2013 02:23    Post subject: Re: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

Hi Daniel.

While you are searching for adding additional equipment, try to compare the cost (and image quality ) of adapting a compact camera or a DSLR body to your microscope. And keep on practicing with Combine Z, this is a very powerful piece of software. It is more complicated than helicon Focus and Zerene Stacker but you can do a lot more tweaking. You can find a user group at : http: //tech. groups. yahoo. com/group/combinez/, where you can post any question that you may have.

Best regards.

José Luis.

trtlman

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2013 20:40    Post subject: Re: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

Thanks again for the information. I can not afford a DSLR at the moment but I have seen holders for digital cameras that will hold the camera up to the microscope but I have yet to read any good reviews on such things. I have tried to create my own rig but my digital camera doesn't give great results even thought it's a higher quality camera. Thanks for letting me know how to remove those side blurs and I think I am getting the hang of this, I have attached another picture I tried to stack.

Update: I downloaded Helicon and thought I would try it out, below is the side by side results. Not too different but I enjoy the simplicity of Helicon and the 3D model maker.

Side by side Combine Vs Helio.jpg
 Description:
80X magnification unknown mineral on surface of basalt. Combine Z on the left, Helicon on the right
 Viewed:  14171 Time(s)

Side by side Combine Vs Helio.jpg

trtlman

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2013 16:20    Post subject: Re: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

Stacked with Helicon Focus, Geode at 80X Magnification

Geode.jpg
 Description:
Quartz Filled Geode
Idaho, U.S.A.
 Viewed:  14042 Time(s)

Geode.jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2013 00:11    Post subject: Re: I Bought a Camera for my Microscope  

Very nice, Daniel. Thanks for the information on the stacking software.

Don

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: