We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 04:10

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
How to remove iron stains?
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

GneissWare

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2013 23:40    Post subject: Re: How to remove iron stains?  

Super Iron Out is much safer and just as effective (and maybe more so) as Oxalic acid. One should use the least aggressive cleaner possible when cleaning. Also, I have seen many specimens ruined by using Oxalic acid, leaving behind an insoluble stain of calcium oxalate when used with hard water.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Barry Vincent

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2013 00:14    Post subject: Re: How to remove iron stains?  

GneissWare wrote:
Super Iron Out is much safer and just as effective (and maybe more so) as Oxalic acid. One should use the least aggressive cleaner possible when cleaning. Also, I have seen many specimens ruined by using Oxalic acid, leaving behind an insoluble stain of calcium oxalate when used with hard water.

Fortunately , where I live , the water quality is very good. However I'm always playing around with small specimens , so I use demineralised water anyway.
Here in Australia , I"m not sure if there is such a thing as Super Iron Out. I'll have to check this out though.

Jesse Fisher

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2013 02:57    Post subject: Re: How to remove iron stains?  

As I mentioned, oxalic acid likes to turn into calcium oxalate and will pull Ca from fluorite to do so. While it is good for solubilizing Fe oxides/hydroxides, it takes a lot of soaking to get it out of anything porous such as micas or feldspars with a lot of cleavage planes. If any of the solution remains in the cracks then it dries you get a nasty yellow stain on the mineral you have been trying to clean. Quartz, being without cleavages, tends to respond fairly well. Other minerals can be a problem. I always start with sodium dithionite (active ingredient in Super Iron Out) and move on to phosphoric acid if that doesn't remove all the iron stain.

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2015 09:28    Post subject: Re: How to remove iron stains?  

Oxalic acid not only has an affinity for calcium, being acidic means it will attack and dull the calcite. It is the calcium in fluorite the oxalic acid is starting to dissolve. Finally, once calcium goes into solution in the presence of oxalic acid, it begins to precipitate as calcium oxalate, an insoluble compound (also one of the most common versions of kidney stones) that deposits back on the specimen.

basti

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2016 06:25    Post subject: Re: How to remove iron stains?  

Oxalic acid is pretty good but also has some drawbacks:

The toxicity is quite overrated - it precipitates calcium so it can harm you if you eat few tablespoons but thats probably not going to happen. You can put your bare fingers into the oxalic acid solution and nothing happens (same for the 5-10 % HCl btw.). It doesnt produce toxic odour like super iron out and in my experience works much faster.

The bad part is that it is much more aggresive and can harm luster of micas. It should not be used on minerals with calcium as it can produce precipitates of calcium oxalate, which is sometimes difficult to remove. You should use rainwater or distilled water as there is always small amount of calcium in the water = precipitates as a fine "white dust". What I see as a biggest problem with oxalic is the production of yellowish precipitate sometimes, which is very difficult to remove.

SIO or sodium dithionite:

Much more gentle and effective and much slower then oxalic. However it is not all roses too. It is about 5x more expensive then oxalic. It produces toxic and smelly gases = no indoor at all. It is a strong reducing agent, which sometimes recults in formation of green-black coatings which must be removed by citric acid. Sodium dithionite is unstable chemical which decomposes if not sealed from air properly. Do NOT mix SIO with other chemicals except baking soda (sodium hydrogencarbonate) or citric acid!

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: