We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Mar-10:12:28 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
29 Mar-09:43:41 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Josele)
29 Mar-09:31:55 Re: identification question (Bob Carnein)
29 Mar-08:09:52 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
29 Mar-07:25:48 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
29 Mar-06:20:21 Re: identification question (James Catmur)
29 Mar-00:03:53 Identification question (Jim Wilkinson)
28 Mar-23:16:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 29, 2024 11:02

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance

Index -> Mineralogical Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2013 10:55    Post subject: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Bill Logan is one of the world's greatest expert of Rhodochrosites and he published few days ago his major book about this fascinating species.

Although Bill is a member of FMF (see: Locality for Rhodochrosite?) I'm afraid is too honest to make publicity of his own book here, so I'm doing it for him ;-)

Although FMF is a not commercial Forum, magazines, books, and all kind of Mineralogical Literature are more than welcome here, so I published below the text that Bill sent recently announcing the issue of his "Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance" book.

Bill, why you don't add in this thread more details, cover image, table of contents, some inside's page image(s), or something else about the book....?

Hello Everyone,

It is my long-delayed pleasure to announce the release of my book entitled: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance..

This represents the only current dedicated text on rhodochrosite, one of the most popular collectable minerals. The story of Sweet Home mine, Colorado, and Wutong mine, China, and N'Chwaning mine, South Africa have all been told. But how much information is published on rhodochrosite finds in Úrkút, Hungary, or Burgin mine, Utah, or Rosebery mine, Tasmania, or any others of the 107 localities reviewed?

Chapters on the History of manganese and rhodochrosite since about 1200AD, Chemical and physical properties, Geologic considerations, Crystallography and twinning, and individual mine histories and characteristics are thorough, but succinct, emphasizing only those matters of interest to the amateur collector. Excessive detail and cumbersome terminology is minimized in the interest of readability.

Throughout, emphasis is placed on the collector with more in-depth discussions of crystal habits and assemblages, pseudomorphs, and casts, principles of aesthetics, criteria of specimen selection and particularly the surprisingly wide range of colors and the mischief of look-alikes.

The 160 pages of text are profusely illustrated with specimens from the author's collection, specimens from thumbnail to large cabinet sizes, from 160 localities and featuring 86 associated species.

Sure, there are gorgeous pictures of the stars from Sweet Home mine to Silverton to Uchucchacua but, mostly, the theme is debunking the myth of unaffordability. This pervasive impression is belied by the numerous fascinating but reasonably priced variations that are readily available.

It is my hope that you will find the book useful, but, more than that, enjoyable reading.

It is available on-line at https://www.blurb.com/b/4541789rhodochrosite in hard cover, soft cover and Ebook form at prices ranging from $55 for the soft cover to $78 for the hard cover and $9.98 for the Ebook..

Please check it out, spread the word and remember: Rhodo-rocks!

Bill Logan
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Charlotte

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 16:52    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Thank you Jordi for the generous words. I am happy to announce the Rhodochrosite book on the Forum. I always like to emphasize that this is a book for collectors. As such, there is the most emphasis on subjects such as crystal habits, a surprisingly wide variety of colors, colorful associates, aesthetics, over 100 localities and guidelines in the evaluation of specimens. I have included 380 photographs from my own collection as illustrations. Considerable attention has been paid to linking the subject and the photographs on the same page for easy reference. Of course, the important geologic factors and pertinent crystallography are discussed but in a more generalized fashion.

One of the themes is an attempt to dispel the notion that collection of Rhodochrosite is simply unaffordable. The headline specimens are out of reach for nearly all of us, but there is much more of interest from the lesser known localities or exceptionally rare and interesting crystal habits that may not be in high demand. I'll see if I can post a few examples.

The book is available on line at https://www.blurb.com/b/4541789-rhodochrosite and I will be selling and signing books at the upcoming Tucson Show courtesy of Robert Stoufer and Buckskin Booksellers. Responses and especially critiques are always welcome.

Thanks, Jordi, for the opportunity to discuss the book. I hope collectors will find it useful.

Bill

BOOK COVER.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  39650 Time(s)

BOOK COVER.jpg

table of contents.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  39627 Time(s)

table of contents.jpg

p101 X94 Foote close.JPG
 Description:
Rhodochrosite
Foote mine, Cleveland County, North Carolina, USA
8 x6 cm FOV 4cm
An example of the exceedingly rare pseudo-octahedral habit of Rhodochrosite
 Viewed:  39584 Time(s)

p101 X94 Foote close.JPG

p117 Uchu Twin re-entry2.jpg
 Description:
Rhodochrosite
Uchucchacua mine, Oyon Province, Lima Department, Peru
2 x 2 cm
A very uncommon contact twin crystal.
 Viewed:  39594 Time(s)

p117 Uchu Twin re-entry2.jpg

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 17:09    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Good looking book. I plan to pick one up in Tucson in February. Do you have a sense of which dealers (book and otherwise) will be carrying the volume?

Charlotte

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 08:28    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Ed,

The only bookstore carrying it so far is Buckskin Booksellers in Ouray, Colorado. Generally it will only be available through the on-line publisher at blurb.com

At Tucson, a few books will be for sale also at the Westward Look Show from Leonard Himes at Graeber and Himes.

Thanks for the comment. My friend Jim Robison, sends his regards.

Bill

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 20:22    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

You betcha Bill!! I like the Buckskin guys, and have bought things from them for the last two, maybe three years. I'll still contact Leonared though, to see if he will hold back a copy for me. I consider this to be a must-have reference.

Now that I've given it my imprimater, it may become a difficult item to obtain. We'll see, eh?

Saludos to Sr Robison, an old and dear friend.I hope to see you both in Tucson.

Till then, Merry Christmas, Hoppy Halidays, and a prosperous anno nuevo.

Ed

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 04:58    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Hi Jordi,

Thanks for the information. Just ordered one from the French site of Blurb. Bill looking forward to read your book about one of my favourite mineral specie.

Christophe

Charlotte

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 08:58    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Thank you, Christophe. I am interested in all feedback. On line publishing can be kept up to date immediately, so new data or suggestions can be explored and disseminated promptly as needed, thus being available for all subsequent orders. No need for a "second edition".

Bill

John Cornish

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 10:05    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Hi Bill and all,

Thank you for this exceptional effort. Truly, I will be among a large group who will be looking forward to seeing your book in Tucson!

Question... Have you ever seen rhodochrosite within the famous Mexican Las Choyas geodes? If not, I plan on bringing my specimen to show friends at this next year's Tucson show. If you, or any others would like, please feel free to come by my room at the Hotel Tucson City Center (former Inn Suites), room number 186, and I'll be happy to share and show it to you.

Background... Approximately 6 or so years ago, it was mentioned to me when placing my most recent geode order, that a small zone had been encountered where rhodochrosite had been identified as occurring within the more commonly quartz and calcite lined geodes (other minerals also occur within these geodes including, among other species, some rarer manganese oxide minerals). I noted this, but did not hope to have a chance in recovering such a rare prize.

The prize realized... Several years later, I was cracking geodes in Spokane, Washington for the local Rock Rollers club when blood-red treasure presented itself in a freshly cracked geode. The rhodochrosite crystals, approximately 10 of them, with the largest crystal being up to about a half an inch (13 mm) in width, were exposed in a geode featuring colorless quartz. I was speechless for several moments and then the bartering began!

The story... The kid, a boy, who selected the geode was about 15 or 16 years old. Both his parents accompanied him. I set his specimen into the "cracker", a pipe cutter, and had him crack his own geode. With that accomplished, I carefully grabbed up the geode and shared his new treasure with all those gathered about and then, seeing what was inside, feverish, I began offering trades, his geode for... heck, just about anything!

Now a bit of background, I enjoy a good trade and have some spectacular geodes, usually with exceptional calcites, that I've traded over the years. Always, 100% of the time, if a kid, I call his parent(s) over and usually start my dialog with something like... "This is an incredible geode, a really fine one because of the calcite crystals (or in this case, rhodochrosite) and that I'd like to trade. It is important to me to have the parent there to offer guidance or in this case... TROUBLE!

Mom stepped up, both the kid and the Dad were fine with the trade, but Mom, huh-uh, no way! Mom said, "Do you remember Grandpa's bear-skin rug?" It seems that "Grandpa" had this old rug and that it became quite a conversation piece because of the story that went with it (which I never did hear) and that this geode could be his equivalent as she sited, "You can tell all your friends how the rock man tried to trade it from you and you'll always have that story". The kid, Dad, both were unswayed and wanted to trade, Mom, her hackles were rising and truly, I feared I'd miss out if I didn't come up with solution quick and thus compromised and asked if they'd be willing to trade for half? Mom was still rhodo-red-faced, but this proved to be a good suggestion and finally, with her blessing, I was able to trade for the half with the biggest crystal... Yay, success!

My most recent show in Spokane earlier this year saw the kid and his family return to crack more geodes. The kid was quite enthusiastic to identify himself and me, and I was more than enthusiastic to re-offer a trade for his remaining geode half. He just smiled...

Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to reunite both halves, but in the meantime, I feel very thankful to have this spectacular and unique rhodochrosite specimen!

All the very best Everyone, take care and happy holidays! See ya,

John

Charlotte

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 11:45    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Hey, John,
Wow! What a story and what a find. I have never seen rhodochrosite crystals in those or any geode. Massive rhodochrosite filling an agatized geode is the closest I have come and that one was slabbed and polished. Against my rules, but I got it anyway. I will try to get by Inn Suites. I imagine room 186 is your usual one. I would love to see it. How about a trade? ;-)

Incidentally, the odd Chinese crystal I got from you 3 years ago has received two "Wows" in just the last week. I still haven't seen the likes of it. If you don't recall it, it is on page 52.

See you soon. Best wishes for the Holidays.
Bill

John Cornish

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2013 10:44    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Hi Bill,

A trade? Chuckling, naw, I'll likely hold onto this one for a bit longer! Still, happy to share the glory!

Thanks for the page 52 heads-up too, just one more reason to look forward to seeing your accomplishment!

Right back at ya, Happy Holidays!!!

John

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2014 11:18    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Hi Bill,

I have finished to read my copy. Very comprehensive book every rhodo collector should have. While reading, I've found a few typos. I have sent you a personal message with the typos. Hope it will help improve an already great book.

Cheers

Christophe

Charlotte

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2014 13:30    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Chris,
Thanks for your input. I am glad you enjoyed the book. And just as glad to hear of the typos. After chasing innumerable typos and a raft of outside reviews, I am delighted to hear of only a 'few".

Thanks for sending them I know you have my personal email. I will look forward to seeing them. The beauty of on-line publishing is that editing is a snap. I will get right to it.

Thanks again and best wishes for the New Year,
Bill

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2014 14:12    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Bill,

Unfortunately I don't have your personal email. I've forwarded them through FMF private message channel. You should have a received a notification about it. If no, forward your email address to Master Jordi. I'll ask him to send it to me.

PS: if M. Geiger hadn't purchased the rhodo from Tsmueb I would have been a competitor on this one too ;-). Take makes two unlucky folks of us.

Cheers

Christophe

keith

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2014 05:18    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Thank you

I have received my copy of the Rhodo book.
Enjoy it very much
It is a welcome addition to my mineral library and I would recommend it to anyone

Thank you Bill

Charlotte

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2014 08:47    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Keith,
Always good to hear kind words about the book. Thanks for the message.
Bill

John Cornish

PostPosted: May 22, 2014 09:09    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Hi Bill and All,

First off, again, congratulations on your fine book, what a wonderful accomplishment!

It was great to see you in Tucson and to share the geode with you. After, Bob Downs at the U. of A. performed an analysis using Raman Spectroscopy and sadly and shockingly, the blood-red crystals within my geode all proved to be calcite with a trace amount of manganese.

Needless to say I was disappointed (as were several others). So, rhodochrosite from Las Choyas... not yet.

As a side note, in Tucson, it was mentioned that there is a "lost" locality in Colorado where at least 2 geodes containing euhedral rhodochrosite were recovered. Specimens are represented in the collections of Bryan Lees and Dave Bunk.

John

Charlotte

PostPosted: May 22, 2014 09:28    Post subject: Re: New Book: Rhodochrosite, Crystals of Drama and Nuance  

Thanks, John. I appreciate the kind words.

What a shame about the geode. It would have been a world-beater. Needed to be confirmed though, obviously. I share your disappointment having just disproved (another) Tsumeb Rhodo. Sigh....

Yes I'm aware of the Rhodo geodes that Bryan and Dave have, though I haven't seen them. AND I have commissioned a search, hopefully this summer, for the "lost" locality. An experienced Colorado prospector has agreed to search for it based on some "clues" he has. He is confident but that's all I can divulge.

When I get a hold of all of those Rhodo geodes I'm expecting, I'll be sure you get one ;-)
Bill

Index -> Mineralogical Literature   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: