We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 03:49

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2008

Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2008 16:41    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2008  

Next week will be the main mineral Show in Europe and the world's second: the Mineralientage or Munich Show. As every year we will be there and also from there we will try to publish daily chronicles about the show.

However, this year our possibilities to publish chronicles maybe will be restricted, considering the task generated by our purchase of the Silvane collection, the surgery on my knee and the recent decision of Joan Rosell to move to a different job ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=355 ) So, according to our physical capacity we will publish more or less chronicles.

To complete the over demanding of these days, Marie and Terry Huizing from Rocks & Minerals magazine visited Barcelona. I tried to do my best and past Thursday I met them, I showed them my collection, we ate together and I organized for them, with the great help of Joan Rosell, a visit to the Folch collection and to another private collection. BTW, Joan could you please publish here a column about the Huizing's visit and their visits to both collections?

Well, we survived everything, the car is already charged and tomorrow we will start our trip. Beautiful life! ;-)

More to come...

Marie & Terry Huizing.jpg
 Description:
Marie (on the right) and Terry Huizing
Foto from: http://geo.web.ru/
 Viewed:  39796 Time(s)

Marie & Terry Huizing.jpg

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2008 12:35    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2008 - (1)  

Sunday 10/26/2008

Already on the road to Munich, today just a short note to comment that this year we haven´t yet heard anything about something super that could be considered the novelty of the Show. Some rumors about something interesting coming out here and there: cubic Wulfenites from Ojuela Mine, Mexico, Pearceites from Uchuccacua, Peru, some exceptional specimens from China, but for the moment they are just that, rumors. We will see.

On the other side, another thing is confirmed, the former Poldervaartites from N'chwaning Mine are in fact Olmiites. Olmiite is a new species, recently discovered as a Mn dominant Poldervaartite. Analysis made on several "Poldervaartites" from N'chwaning proved that in fact they are Olmiites, and only the old ones from Wessels mine were effectively Poldervaartite. So, labels should be changed.

All the information related with this topic comes in an article published on the Mineralogical Record, volume 39, number 5, September-October 2008, and the authors are Renato Pagano, Alessandro Guastoni and Federico Pezzotta.

More to come...

Olmiite_N'chwaning_II_Mine.jpg
 Description:
One of the excelent Olmiites from N'chwaning Mine, that were considered previously as Poldervaartites.
 Viewed:  39707 Time(s)

Olmiite_N'chwaning_II_Mine.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2008 16:59    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2008 - (2)  

Monday 10/27/2008

Thanks to Joan Rosell for his very interesting message with his comments about the recent visit of Marie and Terry Huizing to Barcelona: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=2333#2333

We already are in Munich and tomorrow we will start the set up, I apologize for not publishing much more today, tomorrow I will.

More to come...

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2008 16:29    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2008 - (3)  

Tuesday 10/28/2008

Today the Mineralientage set up started. As the first photo shows, the enormous halls are still empty, although some personalities are already here. In the second photo we can see some well-known people: Bryan Lees (Collector's Edge), Bill Larson (Pala International) and Mike Bergmann from Illinois.

Munich_2008_empty_halls.jpg
 Description:
The hall A5, empty before the start of the Show.
 Viewed:  39433 Time(s)

Munich_2008_empty_halls.jpg

Munich_2008_Americans.jpg
 Description:
Bryan Lees, Bill Larson and Mike Bergmann. Who knows what they are talking about!
 Viewed:  39590 Time(s)

Munich_2008_Americans.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 16:12    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2008 - (4)  

Wednesday 10/29/2008

The general comment today on the show was the absence of interesting novelties. One of them were our Martites (Magnetite pseudomorphosed by Hematite). Martites were on shows past years but the location was doubtful. The ones that we have comes from Volcán Payún Matru, Malargüe, Mendoza, Argentina, and them have a second generation of thin crystals of Hematite very brilliant that makes the appearance of the specimens very esthetics. Their luster and their "architectonic" forms create a very special specimens, some of them on their tuff matrix. I add the photo of one of them.

More to come...

Argentinian Martite Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
Although the photo can't reflect their real beauty, it could help to have a better idea about what I talk about
 Viewed:  39427 Time(s)

Argentinian Martite Munich 2008.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2008 01:00    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2008 - (5)  

Thursday 10/30/2008

Today the photos and their texts will be my voice, replacing what I can't write due to the lack of time to do it.

More to come...

Cold_Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
Our car suffering the typical cold weather of Munich.
 Viewed:  39160 Time(s)

Cold_Munich 2008.jpg

Mineralogical group_Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
Munich still keeps a part of the spirit of the local mineralogical groups that created this show.
Here we can see one of these groups, celebrating a meeting (with food) in the middle of one of the main halls of the show. Here they are so relaxed...
 Viewed:  39176 Time(s)

Mineralogical group_Munich 2008.jpg

Regne Mineral playing_Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
Louis-Dominique Bayle from the French magazine Le Règne Minéral trying to obtain more infos from the Gobins about one of the scarce novelties of this year: Wulfenites from Iran.
 Viewed:  39364 Time(s)

Regne Mineral playing_Munich 2008.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 00:15    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2008 - (6)  

Friday 10/31/2008

Definitively this Munich show won't be famous for novelties. As far as I know there are just very few, and not so important or not real novelties, but revised localities with their minerals already known before, like the Martite from Volcán Payún Matru, Malargüe, Mendoza, Argentina, or the Wulfenite from Ahmad Abad Mine, Yazd, Iran.

Also good Ferrierite from Capurru Quarry, Sicilia, Italy, new Gold from Brusson, Ayas valley - Aosta valley, Italy, fine Calcite on Quartz Amethyst from La Bolsa Quarry, Artigas, Uruguay, new Elbaite from Pederneira, Brazil, Azurite and Malachite in well crystallized Quartz from an unknown deposit close Er Rachidia, Morocco, and few others, but not too much more.

More to come...

Wulfenite Iran_Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
These are the Wulfenites from Iran displayed by the Gobins. Not really new, because previously them appeared in Shows together with the Cerussites from Anarak, but this time their variety and quantity made them noticeable.
 Viewed:  38448 Time(s)

Wulfenite Iran_Munich 2008.jpg

Massagué, White and Alfredo Petrov_MUnich 2008.jpg
 Description:
Social life at our both. John S. White, Joan Massagué, internationally recognised oncologist, and Alfredo Petrov.
 Viewed:  39035 Time(s)

Massagué, White and Alfredo Petrov_MUnich 2008.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2008 00:12    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2008 - (7)  

Saturday 11/1/2008

The show is finishing. As we said past days, nothing really new appeared. Searching carefully it is still possible to find some minor thing here and there, like the new Chinese Veszelyite in Smithsonite or the Uvites in pink Dolomite from Brumado, Brazil, but after to check it with the rest of exhibitors and the people doing articles for magazines, all of them agree that fact.

On the other hand, an excellent Show, the crisis has been outside, or at least it don't affected it. A lot of things to see here, that justify totally the visit to this mega-show.

More to come....

A lot of minerals_Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
Too much minerals. The mind can't afford it!
 Viewed:  38945 Time(s)

A lot of minerals_Munich 2008.jpg

All kind of images_Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
A lot of different visions in the Show.
 Viewed:  38939 Time(s)

All kind of images_Munich 2008.jpg

Fascination_Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
Oooh, so cute!
 Viewed:  38998 Time(s)

Fascination_Munich 2008.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2008 15:21    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2008 - (8)  

Monday 11/3/2008

Thanks to Ploum by publish their photos: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=2369#2369 which complete so well our show reports. As I said before, this year we had not too much time for nothing, and specially to do photos, so these ones from Ploum are really helpful.
I should talk about the exhibits of this year about Australia and the alpine Gold from Italy. I will do it later, together with my notes about my general opinion of this Munich 2008.

More to come...

Strahler Delirium_Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
A funny note on the exhibit of the Italian Alpine Gold: this paint of a "strahler" finding the pocket of his dreams.
Not necessary to comment it, the image says everything.
 Viewed:  38751 Time(s)

Strahler Delirium_Munich 2008.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2008 17:35    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2008 - (9)  

Thursday 11/6/2008

I'm afraid that this year the exhibits in Munich were disappointing. We have been accustomed in the past to high standards, but in my opinion this year the "Australia" topic was just OK and the "Gold of the Italian Alps" not really the best. I'm sure that in next editions we will see again great exhibits.

My thoughts about this show are not very different from other fairs I've attended the past two years: very few real new material, a lot of good specimens coming from recently purchased collections, prices for "fashion" specimens extremely high, and the serious collectors with, as always, the same desire to purchase specimens if the prices are more or less fair.

The coincidence of my thoughts with those of previous fairs is really strange, considering the situation of deep economic crisis and the changing times which this show faced. As a veteran I have passed through other periods of the world's economic crises, and I must say that this do not seem to affect the real collectors of minerals, as they, with more or less money available, continue passionately to obtain more specimens. Anyway, it seems that there could be some difficulties on both ends of the mineralogical market. The cheaper specimens, which are not sold so much simply because their potential buyers have not money at all, and the "fashion" pieces, which because their nature as objects of luxury or prestige, often suffer the first in times of crisis, like the present.

I do not think that the crisis will affect so much the true collectors, as it didn't during past crises. On the other hand, I do not know what will happen with the other collectors, more volatile, more trendy, since I do not know very well what their reality is.

That's all. I encourage anyone who wants to publish reviews of this past Munich Show or any other mineral show, to do so, as Ploum did: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=368 The number of visits of these topics prove that they are well desired by everybody.

Jordi

Australia Munich_2008.jpg
 Description:
Entry to the exhibit of minerals and opals from Australia. Just on the front we can see Robert Sielecki well known dealer from Australia.
 Viewed:  38516 Time(s)

Australia Munich_2008.jpg

Australian nugget_Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
Replica of an enormous nugget from Australia. Lucky day if you find it!
 Viewed:  38430 Time(s)

Australian nugget_Munich 2008.jpg

Alpen_Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
The entry of the exhibit of the Alpine Italian Gold.
 Viewed:  38475 Time(s)

Alpen_Munich 2008.jpg

Italian Alpine gold_Munich 2008.jpg
 Description:
A show case with some of the best Golds mined on the Brusson area, Val d'Ayas, Val d'Aosta, Italia, owned by the Museo di Storia Naturale di Milano.
 Viewed:  38459 Time(s)

Italian Alpine gold_Munich 2008.jpg

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: