We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 03:12

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"

Index -> Mineralogical Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  

jrg

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2014 04:54    Post subject: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

Today I received a very interesting and magnificent news for all the lovers of mineralogy and crystallography in particular. The researcher and crystallographer of Belgian origin Eddy Van Der Meersche has published the book "Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit" (German-English bilingual edition), which throughout its 296 pages shows 88 crystallographic forms with exemplary real photographs and the pictures of the 127 possible for this mineral combinations.
It's a really exhaustive work that far exceeds the 51 forms described by Goldschmidt in his "Atlas der Krystallformen" published in 1918.
For a lover of the fluorite like me it is an essential work in the mineralogical library because of the great contribution to the study of the crystallography of this mineral and also the quality, definition and beauty of the images that illustrate the book.
Congratulations to the author for this magnificent work.

Portada.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31154 Time(s)

Portada.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Herman van Dennebroek

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2014 08:58    Post subject: Re: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

It's indeed a magnificent book, not only for fluorite lovers. For more than a month I have fun with looking at the pictures and crystal forms.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2014 09:08    Post subject: Re: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

I agree with Jose - this in one of the best works on morphological crystallography I have seen published in many years. 295 pages of test with hundreds of high quality photos and crystal drawings. My only complaint is that no attention is given to twinning, but I guess one must stop somewhere or the project never gets finished. The book is also hard bound and of a quality that should stand up to repeated use as a reference.

The test is published in both German and English, and I noticed that if one emails the author, the text is further available in both Dutch and French. I purchased my copy from a Belgian fellow Herwig Pelckmans, who was visiting California to promote the book. I do not know if they have any distribution arrangements yet for North America, however.

bugrock

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2014 11:17    Post subject: Re: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

Perhaps someone on the forum knows of a North American distributor.

Might it be available for sale at the Rochester Symposium?

George

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2014 16:28    Post subject: Re: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

Hi,
Eddy is my friend for 40 years. I can ask him to manifest on this forum, if you wish.
His book is remarkable and there is not another like it. All the most amazing crystal habits are represented, with a theoretical drawing and a picture of a specimen.
This book is bilingual German-English.
Here is a copy of a half-page at random.
Roger.

Fluorite_Eddy_R.jpg
 Description:
a half-page of "Crystal forms of Fluorite"
 Viewed:  30919 Time(s)

Fluorite_Eddy_R.jpg

John Nash

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2014 22:00    Post subject: Re: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

Hi Roger,

Yes, please invite your friend to manifest on this forum. And let us know how to purchase this book. Fluorite with its colors and crystal forms is my continuing fascination.

John

Ivan Blanco (PDM)

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2014 02:57    Post subject: Re: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

Here I upload some more pics that the author sent me to publish.

The book is really a great work!

pg32.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30847 Time(s)

pg32.jpg

pg51.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30855 Time(s)

pg51.jpg

pg92.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30878 Time(s)

pg92.jpg

pg105.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30902 Time(s)

pg105.jpg

pg155.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30856 Time(s)

pg155.jpg

pg200.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30868 Time(s)

pg200.jpg

pg253.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30864 Time(s)

pg253.jpg

pg265.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30833 Time(s)

pg265.jpg

pg287.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30865 Time(s)

pg287.jpg

I collect pseudomorphs

Eddy Van Der Meersche

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2014 03:59    Post subject: Re: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

Hello everybody,

Thanks for appreciating my brand new book! It's my life's work: 29 years of investigations!
I'm the inventor, investigator, photographer, crystal figure draftsman, lay-out artist, and editor.
For more information you can contact me on:
e.vandermeersche(at)skynet(dot)be
Thanks!
Eddy

Philip Mostmans

PostPosted: May 11, 2014 02:42    Post subject: Re: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

I got my copy yesterday at the MKA show in Antwerp along with two Fluorites from Okorusu . Practice starting to identify the several crystal forms can begin :-). The book has tons of nice photographs and drawings and the text is understandable even by a complete crystal newbie like me. A must have for reference.

Thank you Eddy for your work and I am still truly sorry you didn't get to see my collection a few years ago.

John Nash

PostPosted: May 11, 2014 15:13    Post subject: Re: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

Thanks to Eddy for this historical work! Magical is the only way I can describe this. I got the book in the mail last week. I'm only beginning to sample the richness of the photos and diagrams. The key at the top of each page showing the crystal forms present in each specimen - color coded to the faces shown in the crystal drawings - is a fantastic idea that makes crystallography sooo much easier to see and understand.

Thank you so very much for the innovations and work you put into this project, Eddy!

John Nash

Roger Warin

PostPosted: May 11, 2014 16:19    Post subject: Re: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

Hi,
I met Eddy in Antwerp today. He sold all his latest books "Fluorite". The only ones left are for sale at dealers.
Eddy is very pleased with the enthusiastic reception you have given to his book.
It is a perfection which coincides well with his character. Eddy was already specializing in film photography minerals of Belgium and Eifel (Germany) from 25 to 30 years.
Today, it takes a well deserved rest.
Roger.

Martin Rich

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2014 15:40    Post subject: Re: New book:"Crystal Forms of Fluorite - Kristallformen von Fluorit"  

A short story:

I'm very interested in crystallography and crystal-morphology, so I got my exemplar yesterday. Wow! What a perfect work! I'm sure this is Eddy's magnum opus.

Eddy dedicated his book Erich Offermann (1920 - 2009), here in Europe well known for his crystallographic books. Erich Offermann is a role model for me. Anyway, I purchased the book from Ch. Weise-Verlag, Munich. By the way, I purchased here a further book from the 2nd hand book-shop: Kleber et al.: Einführung in die Kristallographie ("introduction in crystallography"). And I was very surpriced, the book has an ex libris from Erich Offermann, he was the former owner of this exemplar! Now, for me, the circle is closed.

Martin

img098.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  28736 Time(s)

img098.jpg

img099.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  28744 Time(s)

img099.jpg

Index -> Mineralogical Literature   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: