We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 06:48

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Huanggang Mine scheelite color

Index -> Incorrect classification and fakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Josele

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 11:22    Post subject: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

As seen in https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=40197#40197, scheelite specimens from Huanggang Mine (or, more general, Chifeng Prefecture, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China) are sometimes treated to clean calcite matrix with an unexpected result of a change of scheelite color. In the related thread the color has turned to green. I wonder if my specimen has also been treated, because the brownish color is different to the whitish colors seen in Mindat gallery.
Has anyone seen this brownish color in other scheelite specimens from the Huanggang Mine?

P1020187_2.JPG
 Description:
Scheelite with a bit of feldspar and quartz
Huanggang Fe-Sn deposit (Huanggangliang Mine; Huanggang Mine), Hexigten Banner (Keshiketeng Co.), Ulanhad League (Chifeng Prefecture), Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China
6 x 4,5 x 2,5 cm
 Viewed:  23484 Time(s)

P1020187_2.JPG

P1020193_2.JPG
 Description:
Scheelite
Huanggang Fe-Sn deposit (Huanggangliang Mine; Huanggang Mine), Hexigten Banner (Keshiketeng Co.), Ulanhad League (Chifeng Prefecture), Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China
6 x 4,5 x 2,5 cm

Here under SW UV
 Viewed:  23454 Time(s)

P1020193_2.JPG

lluis

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 11:46    Post subject: Re: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

Hi, Josele

As far as I remember, I think to have seen several specimens with this colour.
From very respected sellers.

So, I would think that yours is as is.

The green one, besides, has a very soft appearance, with edges that looks as polished to my eyes, not sharp as the ones your specimen has.

Anyway, seen more as yours.

With best wishes

Lluís
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 11:53    Post subject: Re: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

It looks like slightly tinted due the etching process, but not so far of its real color, usually whitish, cream and some times bluish or grey-bluish by the Molybdenite inclusions.

As said in: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=40197#40197 is easy to know it just cleaning them with super iron out or similar.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 11:57    Post subject: Re: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

I agree. It looks like it needs a soak in Super Iron Out. It should go more grey.

lluis

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 12:46    Post subject: Re: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

By the way, I have seen in page placed by Josele that some are pinkish/violet.

Anyone knows reason?

With best wishes

Lluís

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 13:45    Post subject: Re: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

lluis wrote:
By the way, I have seen in page placed by Josele that some are pinkish/violet.

True! I forgot the very scarce violet Scheelites from Huanggang (not really pinkish natural color). Some from there has this natural color but I don't know why (maybe no reason, just color centers).

In fact in the past in Tae Hwa Mine, South Korea they also found violet Scheelites, see below.

Scheelite with Quartz and Dolomite - Tae Wha Mine_Neungam-ri_Chungju_Chungcheongbukdo_South Korea copia.jpg
 Description:
Scheelite with Quartz and Dolomite
Tae Wha Mine, Neungam-ri, Chungju, Chungcheongbukdo, South Korea
Specimen size: 5.5 × 3.7 × 3.4 cm
Main crystal size: 3.6 × 3.5 cm
Former collection of Folch duplicates
Photo: Reference Specimens
 Viewed:  23439 Time(s)

Scheelite with Quartz and Dolomite - Tae Wha Mine_Neungam-ri_Chungju_Chungcheongbukdo_South Korea copia.jpg

Josele

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 14:42    Post subject: Re: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

In the reverse of this specimen can see a colorless core. I guess this a sign that it is not treated but anyway next monday I will buy any stain remover similar to Super Iron Out, which is not available in Spain.
Thanks to all for your help, on monday I will post the result after cleaning.

P1130630.JPG
 Description:
Scheelite
6 x 4,5 x 2,5 cm

Reverse side
 Viewed:  23423 Time(s)

P1130630.JPG

lluis

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 15:21    Post subject: Re: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

Hi, Jordi, Josele

I agree with the iron stained reason for Josele brownish color (for the piece, I mean).
I would try with Waller's solution, that is non acidic, or if you are in a hurry, with oxalic acid (cold solution!)
Anyway, I have searched, and scheelite dissolves in hot acid, so the green in some damages seems to be due to acid treatement, and non exactly in cold.... or room temperature.

For violet colour, I doubt in color centers (which are in the pink fluorites). I would think in a manganese maybe wolframate... (but with this colour, should be a Mn3+, that is not the most and stable thing.....Anyway, found in Rodhos, so....)

Pity that there is no study (pity for me, mainly; I doubt it would increase our knowledge too much, but.... :-) )

Many thanks!

Lluís

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 15:48    Post subject: Re: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

lluis wrote:
...For violet colour, I doubt in color centers (which are in the pink fluorites). I would think in a manganese maybe wolframate... (but with this colour, should be a Mn3+, that is not the most and stable thing.....Anyway, found in Rodhos, so....)...

The last studies about the color in minerals seem to disprove the old theory of the metal Ions giving the color. We'll see...

lluis

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2014 01:16    Post subject: Re: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

Hi, Jordi

We had already had a talk (I think two years ago) on that.
That there is a part of color that is due to color centers, agreed (like the pink fluorites).
But all due to color center (except if there is a new definition, and all (cations, charge tranference, voids, distortions in net and all) are considered "centers of color), well... I would like to see the theory.

Anyway, a funky theory that the Greeks knew how to plate lead with a copper salt first and a silver salt later, or that the Romans could do electroplated tin denarii, had been in vogue. The first defended by at least some archaeologists, and referring to a fake slipped inside an Iitalian hoard of silver coins (the Parabita hoard; found and unrecorded properly I think at the beginning of 20th century or end of 19th century in Italia)

Anyway, we will see...

With best wishes

Lluís

Josele

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2014 13:25    Post subject: Re: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

Just to comment that finally I have decided to leave my scheelite specimen as it is.

As Super Iron Out is not available in Spain and even less in my small village, I found Dr Beckmann stain remover special for iron oxide, which I suppose is somewhat similar to SIO. But when I was ready to use it, I was thinking that if the brown color comes from iron oxide, it must be natural, so it is better to leave it like this. After all it's a nice honey color...

0725105001325899353.jpg
 Description:
Scheelite + Muscovite
Mt Xuebaoding, Pingwu Co., Mianyang Prefecture, Sichuan Province, China
7 x 5 x 4 cm
Honey brown color is a common color for scheelite and there is no reason to think it is dyed or altered.
 Viewed:  22848 Time(s)

0725105001325899353.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2014 17:48    Post subject: Re: Huanggang Mine scheelite color  

This is pretty typical color for Xuebaoding, and it already looks like it has been properly cleaned.

Index -> Incorrect classification and fakes   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: